PDA

View Full Version : Brandon Ingram has Paget-Schroetter syndrome

PCCM_29
03-10-2019, 12:29 AM
Coming to you from a pulmonary/critical care physician, Brandon Ingram appears to have what sounds a lot like Paget-Schroetter syndrome.

It typically presents in young, otherwise healthy individuals as sudden, severe upper extremity pain and swelling following vigorous upper extremity activity. An aggressive treatment approach that includes anticoagulation (thinning the blood), catheter-directed thrombolysis (using medication to bust up the clot), and thoracic outlet decompression (doing procedures such as removing the first rib to allow expansion of the vein and reducing risk of recurrent thrombosis) is aimed at relieving acute symptoms and minimizing complications, including recurrent thromboembolism and post-thrombotic syndrome.

Poor guy, just when he was hitting his stride. I think he was averaging something like 30/6/6 in his last 10 games.

Let's see how they approach this. Our medical societies recommend using the clot buster (thrombolytics) following by "thoracic outlet decompression" which can include rib removal, muscle removal etc, all the while staying on a blood thinner during which you cannot play.

Just horrible news for the kid who was just now shaping up to be the guy everyone was saying he could be. :(

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
03-10-2019, 12:44 AM
I hope its not THAT serious and he still has a career ahead of him. Damn.

stalkerforlife
03-10-2019, 12:48 AM
At least he proved all the haters wrong before he went down.

And if he was healthy, I doubt he'd want to play with Bran the rest of the way.

G0ATbe
03-10-2019, 12:54 AM
He should've been traded. Would've been another one of those LeBron moves that look like it could be bad in the long run but then isn't. Just like the Wiggins for Love move.

keep-itreal
03-10-2019, 01:13 AM
isn't this the same shit Chris Bosh had?? That's career ending

FreezingTsmoove
03-10-2019, 01:20 AM
Ingram is so violent and angry on his drives despite being so skinny, I am honestly not suprised this happened. Dude gives out a lot of punishment every time he drives in and he doesnt have the strength for defenders to bounce off him, they bounce into him

3ball
03-10-2019, 01:30 AM
Bookmarked

Artillery
03-10-2019, 01:34 AM
:oldlol: at Lakers godfather trade package consisting of injury prone Lonzo/Lavar and this cripple Ingram. Meanwhile Russell and Randle are killing it away from this toxic organization. Kobe mangled this franchise and left it in a forever broken state.

handbanana
03-10-2019, 08:13 AM
:facepalm stop memeing and being morons, this kids career is over before it properly started. he will not play another game in his life and it's tragic

Phenith
03-10-2019, 08:16 AM
Coming to you from a pulmonary/critical care physician, Brandon Ingram appears to have what sounds a lot like Paget-Schroetter syndrome.

It typically presents in young, otherwise healthy individuals as sudden, severe upper extremity pain and swelling following vigorous upper extremity activity. An aggressive treatment approach that includes anticoagulation (thinning the blood), catheter-directed thrombolysis (using medication to bust up the clot), and thoracic outlet decompression (doing procedures such as removing the first rib to allow expansion of the vein and reducing risk of recurrent thrombosis) is aimed at relieving acute symptoms and minimizing complications, including recurrent thromboembolism and post-thrombotic syndrome.

Poor guy, just when he was hitting his stride. I think he was averaging something like 30/6/6 in his last 10 games.

Let's see how they approach this. Our medical societies recommend using the clot buster (thrombolytics) following by "thoracic outlet decompression" which can include rib removal, muscle removal etc, all the while staying on a blood thinner during which you cannot play.

Just horrible news for the kid who was just now shaping up to be the guy everyone was saying he could be. :(

Correct me if I'm wrong, but this is something that doesn't go away and will need to be managed for the rest of his life no?

305Baller
03-10-2019, 08:26 AM

Is this similar to Chris Bosh's condition? If so this may be the end. Seems like it happens to lanky guys.

Good luck Ingram!! One of my fave young players

305Baller
03-10-2019, 08:28 AM
Demonic posters confirmed.

sbw19
03-10-2019, 08:32 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but this is something that doesn't go away and will need to be managed for the rest of his life no?Case-by-case but early detection and (possibly surgical) intervention is key to address the issue in addition to any anatomical abornalities if any are found. It can be a one-time thing as well and not at all career-ending.

Please note that at this point this is all conjecture, no such diagnosis has been established, and highly sensitive and specific tests are readily available, so we'll know soon whether or not it really is that severe.

Is this similar to Chris Bosh's condition? If so this may be the end. Seems like it happens to lanky guys.
No, Bosh's was of different root cause if Ingram's diagnosis proves to be PSS. He did have DVTs and emboli that require long-term management though.

FireDavidKahn
03-10-2019, 01:59 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCke2xdymxc

PCCM_29
03-10-2019, 02:26 PM
Case-by-case but early detection and (possibly surgical) intervention is key to address the issue in addition to any anatomical abornalities if any are found. It can be a one-time thing as well and not at all career-ending.

Please note that at this point this is all conjecture, no such diagnosis has been established, and highly sensitive and specific tests are readily available, so we'll know soon whether or not it really is that severe.

No, Bosh's was of different root cause if Ingram's diagnosis proves to be PSS. He did have DVTs and emboli that require long-term management though.

Correct. Both Bosh and Ingram have Deep Vein Thrombosis, but it's really important as to WHY they have it.

A DVT is essentially a blood clot that develops, typically when the blood in the veins have stasis (aka, not flowing around easily, such as when you're on a long plane flight). Other risk factors include being in a "hyper-coagulable state" where your blood is literally thicker than normal due to an imbalance between pro- and anti- coagulants (i.e having cancer makes your blood thicker due to excess presence of a pro-coagulant known as tissue factor; others are hereditary such as a condition known as Factor 5 Leiden; indeed getting older increases the percentage of pro-coagulants relative to anti-coagulants, thus older people are at higher risk following a long flight than younger individuals). The last major risk factor is trauma; thus DVTs are very common following surgery for example, especially hip fracture repairs where the large pelvic veins are manipulated.

Going back to Bosh and Ingram. In Bosh's condition, it appeared he had lower extremity DVTs, and perhaps flying around a lot put him at increased risk. But a lot of NBA players play frequently, so why did he of all people get a DVT? It's possible he also has a mildly hyper-coagulable state, so with both risk factors present, he began to develop blood clots. It's important to note that DVTs by and large are a Lower Extremity problem. To have DVTs in the arms are very rare, and typically occur due to the presence of some other unique risk factor.

For Ingram, he appears to likely have an anatomic anomaly, that is compressing the veins of his upper extremities and preventing normal outflow, thus promoting stasis of the blood, which led to his upper extremity DVT. Contrary to what happened with Bosh because Ingram's condition appears to be an anatomic problem and the underlying blood itself is not abnormal, doing a surgical repair (decompressing an area where the vein in compressed) could cure him fully. He will need to be on anti-coagulation for 3 months to help stabilize and dissolve the clot that is already present; then a more definitive therapy will be needed to ensure this does not happen again. He may need to have his left shoulder examined as well, since we are typically very symmetric in our anatomy, and if one side is narrow, the opposite outlet may also be at risk. I work in an ICU and upper extremity DVTs occur typically when we have a catheter inserted into one of the large veins of the body; rarely do DVTs occur in other situations without a clear reason.

It is conjecture that this is what is happening with Ingram, but I can't think of another reason as to why Ingram has this condition. His presentation is text book.

AirTupac
03-10-2019, 02:33 PM
:oldlol: at Lakers godfather trade package consisting of injury prone Lonzo/Lavar and this cripple Ingram. Meanwhile Russell and Randle are killing it away from this toxic organization. Kobe mangled this franchise and left it in a forever broken state.

I mean you have to be a real piece of human garbage to make post after post making fun of a young kid's illness that could possibly end his career.

Mods/Jeff have you no shame? :facepalm

Doranku
03-10-2019, 02:51 PM

Imagine reading that a young, talented player may never play basketball again in his life and having these be your first thoughts about it.

You are a pathetic loser that has been absolutely TRAUMATIZED by Kobe Bryant's success since you joined this site 12 years ago. I understand that you can't grasp what it's like to have your professional career put into jeopardy since I'm sure you don't have one, but there's no room for your degenerate immaturity in these kinds of threads.

Time to put that alt back on the shelf, sad ******.

sbw19
03-10-2019, 02:56 PM
it's really important as to WHY they have it.Pretty much. There have been cases where no clear RFs were found and were labeled "idiopathic". In this day and age though, with access to excellent medical care, that's rarely the case anymore.

Still, one has to wonder.. say he has a cervical rib that's causing this whole shebang. The chances of missing that on a routine x-ray in a professional athlete isn't very high. Other possible risk factors have to be ruled in/out before a definitive diagnosis is reached.

I'll give you this though, it's on his dominant arm, and he'd been playing more minutes lately prior to experiencing his symptoms. So there is that.

In general when it comes to athletes with medical conditions, it's symptoms that don't happen under stress that usually prove worse prognostically.

Given his age (compared to Bosh when they had DVTs) it seems they caught it early (or it happened early) and that may just be the difference between a career fulfilled or potentially cut short.

Smoke117
03-10-2019, 06:12 PM
Well Doctor Suess said it so it must be true. :rolleyes:

NBASTATMAN
03-10-2019, 06:25 PM
Correct. Both Bosh and Ingram have Deep Vein Thrombosis, but it's really important as to WHY they have it.

A DVT is essentially a blood clot that develops, typically when the blood in the veins have stasis (aka, not flowing around easily, such as when you're on a long plane flight). Other risk factors include being in a "hyper-coagulable state" where your blood is literally thicker than normal due to an imbalance between pro- and anti- coagulants (i.e having cancer makes your blood thicker due to excess presence of a pro-coagulant known as tissue factor; others are hereditary such as a condition known as Factor 5 Leiden; indeed getting older increases the percentage of pro-coagulants relative to anti-coagulants, thus older people are at higher risk following a long flight than younger individuals). The last major risk factor is trauma; thus DVTs are very common following surgery for example, especially hip fracture repairs where the large pelvic veins are manipulated.

Going back to Bosh and Ingram. In Bosh's condition, it appeared he had lower extremity DVTs, and perhaps flying around a lot put him at increased risk. But a lot of NBA players play frequently, so why did he of all people get a DVT? It's possible he also has a mildly hyper-coagulable state, so with both risk factors present, he began to develop blood clots. It's important to note that DVTs by and large are a Lower Extremity problem. To have DVTs in the arms are very rare, and typically occur due to the presence of some other unique risk factor.

For Ingram, he appears to likely have an anatomic anomaly, that is compressing the veins of his upper extremities and preventing normal outflow, thus promoting stasis of the blood, which led to his upper extremity DVT. Contrary to what happened with Bosh because Ingram's condition appears to be an anatomic problem and the underlying blood itself is not abnormal, doing a surgical repair (decompressing an area where the vein in compressed) could cure him fully. He will need to be on anti-coagulation for 3 months to help stabilize and dissolve the clot that is already present; then a more definitive therapy will be needed to ensure this does not happen again. He may need to have his left shoulder examined as well, since we are typically very symmetric in our anatomy, and if one side is narrow, the opposite outlet may also be at risk. I work in an ICU and upper extremity DVTs occur typically when we have a catheter inserted into one of the large veins of the body; rarely do DVTs occur in other situations without a clear reason.

It is conjecture that this is what is happening with Ingram, but I can't think of another reason as to why Ingram has this condition. His presentation is text book.

Is there a chance he got the DVT from a tattoo on his arm?

ImKobe
03-10-2019, 09:18 PM
He should've been traded. Would've been another one of those LeBron moves that look like it could be bad in the long run but then isn't. Just like the Wiggins for Love move.

You guys have no ****ing dignity.

But I shouldn't be surprised after what I saw from you in that IT sister's death thread :facepalm .

305Baller
03-10-2019, 09:19 PM
the goat is Baphomet.

purify yourselves in the waters of lake titicaca. oh wait...its dead

bluechox2
03-10-2019, 09:22 PM
pelicans almost got fleeced with that handicapped (literally) deal...

thefatmiral
03-10-2019, 09:24 PM
Ingram is so violent and angry on his drives despite being so skinny, I am honestly not suprised this happened. Dude gives out a lot of punishment every time he drives in and he doesnt have the strength for defenders to bounce off him, they bounce into him
That's what I was thinking too. Guys are just colliding with his bones.

bluechox2
03-10-2019, 09:26 PM
what are the odds that both players in this league who developed clots played with lebron

305Baller
03-10-2019, 09:26 PM
what are the odds that both players in this league who developed clots played with lebron

https://i.imgur.com/vc8cMTi.jpg

305Baller
03-10-2019, 09:30 PM
the demons controlling lebron are powerful and nasty.

Brandon Ingram just the latest.

ClipperRevival
03-10-2019, 09:38 PM
Worrying news for sure. Hope he comes through ok and can ball again.