PDA

View Full Version : Rodman vs Malone 98

DoctorP
03-13-2019, 11:14 PM
compilation 98 Finals
Look at the clutch leadership by Jordan. Rodman with mastery on the boards. Pippen ailing, apparently.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMrb7WWQcmY

kennethgriffen
03-13-2019, 11:51 PM
rodman was the real mvp of the 2nd threepeat

he destroyed the sonics and rattled malone like no one else could

Rico2016
03-14-2019, 03:06 AM

Is this the first good post you've made in like 6 months? I need to document this.

DoctorP
03-14-2019, 03:13 AM
rodman was the real mvp of the 2nd three peat

I wouldn't call him the MVP, but he was definitely the X factor and propelled the Bulls to win.

He was hilariously clutch.

julizaver
03-14-2019, 09:27 AM

Rodman was good ... but don't go to such extremes. As good he was - he was 6th man coming from the bench in 1998 Finals as Tony Kukoc took his place in the starting line-up and in 1997 Finals he played less than 30 minute per game. Jordan was the MVP in all Bulls championships, only in 1996 there could be some revised history debate, but you need to put in the perspective - as the Bulls took a commanding 3:0 lead with MJ dominating Game 3 the series were effectively over - it was a matter of time for the Bulls to just take 1 game out of 4. And Game 6 and Games 7 were to be played in Chicago ... No way Sonics win both these games, even if Rodman did not play the Bulls still would have won at least one game, but imagine that MJ was injured and missed Game 6 and Game 7 Sonics have a real chance.

Haymaker
03-14-2019, 09:34 AM
People forget how crucial Bison Dele was in slowing down Malone in that series. He came off the bench and made him work. The Rodman/Dele rotation was brutal for Karl, and sometimes PJax sent double and triple teams to cover him.

RoseCity07
03-14-2019, 10:09 AM
Watching that I was trying to imagine how f*cked Curry and Klay would be if you could rough them up like what Rodman was doing to Malone.

You could mug a guy all game back then. That was fun basketball. That was the NBA I loved.

Mr Feeny
03-14-2019, 10:21 AM
People forget how crucial Bison Dele was in slowing down Malone in that series. He came off the bench and made him work. The Rodman/Dele rotation was brutal for Karl, and sometimes PJax sent double and triple teams to cover him.

True. I watched those games. As a guy who watched those games I can confirm that Bison's help defense was instrumental in dirsrupting the pick and roll. What do you think Simon?

Doranku
03-14-2019, 10:44 AM
It's a shame players like Rodman will likely never be seen in the NBA again. Think of how useless he'd be in today's game. An undersized PF with zero offensive abilities who would foul out in 5 minutes.

ronniec
03-14-2019, 03:10 PM
It's a shame players like Rodman will likely never be seen in the NBA again. Think of how useless he'd be in today's game. An undersized PF with zero offensive abilities who would foul out in 5 minutes.

Useless?

Rodman will not score much (as in his era) in NBA nowadays, but he will still grab a ton of rebounds.
If he play in today's basketball, what makes you think he cannot adapt and play good defense?

It is not like he couldn't shoot and did not know how to shoot.
Before he transformed himself into a rebounding machine, he averaged more than 10 points per game.

3ball
03-14-2019, 07:36 PM
compilation 98 Finals
Look at the clutch leadership by Jordan. Rodman with mastery on the boards. Pippen ailing, apparently.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMrb7WWQcmY
Dennis Rodman 1998 Finals averages:

4/8

That's 8 rebounds per game... EIGHT...

Hardly "mastery" of the glass... :rolleyes:

Let me ask you something.. where would the bulls get offense from in that series without MJ's Finals record 38% of his team's points, and 19 more than his 2nd option?.. I'll wait

You should read julizaver's post above for what was actually going on in that series - rodman wasn't even the starter in the 98' playoffs or Finals.. he was old, and had only averaged 4/8 for the entire 97 playoffs the previous year as well

Uncle Drew
03-14-2019, 07:39 PM
Best player in the series, easily.

Manny98
03-14-2019, 07:43 PM

Agreed Rodman deserved FMVP in 96 and 98 :applause: