PDA

View Full Version : What would Michael Jordan's stats look like if he didn't play in the triangle offense

72-10
03-26-2019, 10:16 PM
for 8 seasons, and instead the offense ran through him, for his whole career, like LeBron's teams have always done for him

give me the stat line

Dray n Klay
03-26-2019, 10:18 PM
We saw him in the Wizards without the triangle

22 points on 22 shots

So that's the most accurate estimation we have

72-10
03-26-2019, 10:20 PM
yeah, no, I guess his career statline would be similar to his 89 season stat line, across the board

Dray n Klay
03-26-2019, 10:22 PM
yeah, no, I guess his career statline would be similar to his 89 season stat line, across the board

So 22 points on 22 shots?

Seems right

72-10
03-26-2019, 10:23 PM
No, his 89 stat line.

32.5 points on 54% from the field and 85% from the line/8 rebounds/8 assists/3 steals/1 blocked shot/ career PER over 31

SamuraiSWISH
03-26-2019, 10:51 PM
89 esque 33/8/8 and DPOY caliber defense. GOAT

ImKobe
03-26-2019, 10:55 PM
40/15/10 a game

Bronbron23
03-26-2019, 10:58 PM
So 22 points on 22 shots?

Seems right
Dray and Klay with his usual tarded response.

72-10
03-26-2019, 10:58 PM
40/15/10 a game

brother thinks it's the 89 playoffs:roll:

72-10
03-26-2019, 11:00 PM
I'm not sure if that's close, btw, no not that one.

72-10
03-26-2019, 11:01 PM
no, that one wouldn't count, certainly not

superduper
03-26-2019, 11:02 PM
We saw him in the Wizards without the triangle

22 points on 22 shots

So that's the most accurate estimation we have

You know you lost when even you know you're purposely trolling

SamuraiSWISH
03-26-2019, 11:03 PM
40/15/10 a game
In today

FKAri
03-26-2019, 11:05 PM
No, his 89 stat line.

32.5 points on 54% from the field and 85% from the line/8 rebounds/8 assists/3 steals/1 blocked shot/ career PER over 31
Jordan was admitedly statpadding that year. He also later said that the production was not sustainable for multiple seasons. He was also in his physical prime. So no way in HELL is he averaging that for a career with "DPOY defense". Even his motor couldn't handle that. Now if we're talking about THIS era? Well, that changes things.

In today's era his defense would be a lot less impactful so he'd put less energy on it if he was smart (2nd threepeat style). He'd be getting a bucketload of points though.

StrongLurk
03-26-2019, 11:05 PM
Square stats.

72-10
03-26-2019, 11:18 PM
Jordan was admitedly statpadding that year. He also later said that the production was not sustainable for multiple seasons. He was also in his physical prime. So no way in HELL is he averaging that for a career with "DPOY defense". Even his motor couldn't handle that. Now if we're talking about THIS era? Well, that changes things.

In today's era his defense would be a lot less impactful so he'd put less energy on it if he was smart (2nd threepeat style). He'd be getting a bucketload of points though.

You're right; no one's motor could handle DPOY-level defense for a career. I said nothing about DPOY defense for his career. But, I mean, he averaged nearly 3 steals and a blocked shot a game through 93, that's almost 700 games. That's longer than a lot of careers.:roll eyes:

You haz failed to supply stat line! :(

ClipperRevival
03-26-2019, 11:25 PM
You're right; no one's motor could handle DPOY-level defense for a career. I said nothing about DPOY defense for his career. But, I mean, he averaged nearly 3 steals and a blocked shot a game through 93, that's almost 700 games. That's longer than a lot of careers.:roll eyes:

You haz failed to supply stat line! :(

MJ cared about D from the moment he stepped on an NBA court in Oct 1984 to the moment he retired at 40 years old in 2003. That's one factor that made him GOAT. He cared enough to truly try on both ends of the court. Because this is just needed if you want to give your team the best chance to win and MJ knew it instinctively. It's called PRIDE. So I disagree that he didn't bring it consistently because he truly did.

Layman ignore defense. They blow it off as not important. People in the know, know D is just as important as O.

TheCorporation
03-26-2019, 11:28 PM
Is this versus John Starks and Craig Ehlo or Kawhi Leonard and Draymond Green?

Look no further than DeMar Derozan, we practically have MJ in the modern era right before our eyes...

Good dunker
Good passer
No range
There it is

SamuraiSWISH
03-26-2019, 11:30 PM
Well, this thread certainly triggered the Three 6 Mafia crew

72-10
03-26-2019, 11:35 PM
MJ cared about D from the moment he stepped on an NBA court in Oct 1984 to the moment he retired at 40 years old in 2003. That's one factor that made him GOAT. He cared enough to truly try on both ends of the court. Because this is just needed if you want to give your team the best chance to win and MJ knew it instinctively. It's called PRIDE. So I disagree that he didn't bring it consistently because he truly did.

Layman ignore defense. They blow it off as not important. People in the know, know D is just as important as O.

Thank you. I know that. I said DPOY-level defense. Actually, you're kinda right, he did always bring the D. But I don't think his motor could put up 3 steals and 1 blocked shot for a career if the offense were to run through him.

FKAri
03-26-2019, 11:35 PM

He did not bring it consistently post 93. Even the commentators would mention it. 98 was the most obvious. No need to get mythical. And even if MJ went all out on that end today, he would simply have a smaller impact than he used to. Perimeter defenders are handcuffed today or do you deny this?

You haz failed to supply stat line!
It's hard to say. MJ would play very differently. The closest stylistic guys to MJ I've seen are Wade and Kawhi. Not Kobe. Kobe used a lot of 2nd threepeat MJ and then went to another level by adding more and more moves on the block. MJ wasn't doing any of that in his prime and he kept it simple, deliberate but effective towards the end. MJ was attacking the basket and slithering out of the way of defenders in his way on the way to dunking on the other defenders in his way. The closest thing to that was Wade. Kawhi has the big hands and his mid range is a more mechanical version of 2nd threepeat MJ. Well I got carried away with comparisons and still didn't give you numbers :cheers:

Bronbron23
03-26-2019, 11:38 PM
Is this versus John Starks and Craig Ehlo or Kawhi Leonard and Draymond Green?

Look no further than DeMar Derozan, we practically have MJ in the modern era right before our eyes...

Good dunker
Good passer
No range
There it is
Dude Draymond greens were a dime a dozen in the 90's. Early 90's Knicks had like 3 of them on there team, Plus a Hof center and mj still put it on them. You have no idea what your talking about.

TheCorporation
03-26-2019, 11:45 PM
Dude Draymond greens were a dime a dozen in the 90's. Early 90's Knicks had like 3 of them on there team, Plus a Hof center and mj still put it on them. You have no idea what your talking about.

You're insane.

This is your modern day MJ, then:

https://i.postimg.cc/yxj8QQrj/MJin2019.png

ClipperRevival
03-26-2019, 11:45 PM
He did not bring it consistently post 93. Even the commentators would mention it. 98 was the most obvious. No need to get mythical. And even if MJ went all out on that end today, he would simply have a smaller impact than he used to. Perimeter defenders are handcuffed today or do you deny this?

It's hard to say. MJ would play very differently. The closest stylistic guys to MJ I've seen are Wade and Kawhi. Not Kobe. Kobe used a lot of 2nd threepeat MJ and then went to another level by adding more and more moves on the block. MJ wasn't doing any of that in his prime. MJ was attacking the basket and slithering out of the way of defenders in his way on the way to dunking on the other defenders in his way. The closest thing to that was Wade. Kawhi has the big hands and his mid range is a more mechanical version of 2nd threepeat MJ. Well I got carried away with comparisons and still didn't give you numbers :cheers:

Well, obviously, you're not going to be as devastating on D when you're 25 compared to 35. But to me, D has always been about effort/pride, that simple. It's a mindset. And MJ always had that mindset to stop the guy he's guarding. And that translates any era.

Gus Hemmingway
03-26-2019, 11:46 PM
does he still play against used car salesmen and carpenters?

FKAri
03-26-2019, 11:52 PM
Well, obviously, you're not going to be as devastating on D when you're 25 compared to 35. But to me, D has always been about effort/pride, that simple. It's a mindset. And MJ always had that mindset to stop the guy he's guarding. And that translates any era.
Yes but there are such things like chasing a man full steam who just got a break away steal behind you or running out to contest a man who has a sure-fire dunk and things like that which a lot of players, even MJ, skip on from time to time. Not because of laziness (though some do it for that reason too) but because it might not be the best use of energy when your team needs you to put them on their shoulder in the 4th quarter. There are plenty of moments to expend energy on a basketball court. You pick and choose your spots. It's a marathon. MJ knew this.

TheCorporation
03-26-2019, 11:52 PM
does he still play against used car salesmen and carpenters?

Exactly. Is it Kawhi/Butler/Draymond/Iggy on the perimeter or auto mechanics and 6'2 shoe salesmen

Bronbron23
03-26-2019, 11:57 PM
You're insane.

This is your modern day MJ, then:

https://i.postimg.cc/yxj8QQrj/MJin2019.png
Your comparing derozen to mj but I'm insane. You lose credibility when you say dumbass shit like that. Even mj haters wouldn't say something this stupid

TheCorporation
03-27-2019, 12:02 AM
Your comparing derozen to mj but I'm insane. You lose credibility when you say dumbass shit like that. Even mj haters wouldn't say something this stupid

3ball has LeBron out of his top 25

Nothing tops that so I have to balance the forums in some way :lol

72-10
03-27-2019, 12:08 AM
Yes but there are such things like chasing a man full steam who just got a break away steal behind you or running out to contest a man who has a sure-fire dunk and things like that which a lot of players, even MJ, skip on from time to time. Not because of laziness (though some do it for that reason too) but because it might not be the best use of energy when your team needs you to put them on their shoulder in the 4th quarter. There are plenty of moments to expend energy on a basketball court. You pick and choose your spots. It's a marathon. MJ knew this.

Are you referring to a game as a marathon or a career as one?

What would be your top ten players of all time list?

72-10
03-27-2019, 12:10 AM

We have a poster who puts him at 34.

TheCorporation
03-27-2019, 12:17 AM
We have a poster who puts him at 34.

Clearly low IQ votes don't count...Unless you want MJ to be a modern day DeMar Derozan :lol

72-10
03-27-2019, 12:21 AM
Clearly low IQ votes don't count...Unless you want MJ to be a modern day DeMar Derozan :lol

How do you know it's a low IQ poster and not someone else? I don't know who with a low IQ would have an enumerated list that extends to a 34th place.:biggums:

TheCorporation
03-27-2019, 12:30 AM
How do you know it's a low IQ poster and not someone else? I don't know who with a low IQ would have an enumerated list that extends to a 34th place.:biggums:

You're asking me how do I know someone who ranks LBJ #34 all-time is a low IQ poster?

AintNoSunshine
03-27-2019, 02:40 AM
Better stats less rings. See his time before Phil and Tex

SpaceJam
03-27-2019, 04:33 AM
Well gauging off his numbers Pre-SaviorPhilJax

33/6/6 51% shooting.....leading the Bulls to a 41-win season

r0drig0lac
03-27-2019, 06:26 AM
89 esque 33/8/8 and DPOY caliber defense. GOAT
/thread

Bronbron23
03-27-2019, 07:26 AM

If three ball has LeBron out of his top 25 he's an idiot also

Manny98
03-27-2019, 07:52 AM
They would look empty

SpaceJam2
03-27-2019, 09:05 AM
They would look empty

Without Pippen I must agree. Jordan had a ton of scoring mentality and while he was hard to play with he put the ball in the hoop at will. The problem is, that style does not translate into wins unless you have more pieces to do additional work, such as Pippen. MJ of now would be like McGrady, looks great on offense, puts up pretty numbers, but a first round prisoner.

Round Mound
03-27-2019, 05:14 PM
I think he would average like 35 on 49% FG, 8 rebounds 7 assists, 2.0 spg and almost a bpg. Something like that.

egokiller
03-27-2019, 05:28 PM
Look at what Harden is doing and double it. There's your answer considering MJ is twice the player Harden ever was.

Manny98
03-27-2019, 05:40 PM
Look at what Harden is doing and double it. There's your answer considering MJ is twice the player Harden ever was.
So you think MJ would average 72 points and 16 assists?

LAmbruh
03-27-2019, 05:41 PM
Harden would average 60ppg if he got to play against 90's toddlers with shortened 3pt line under spacing enforced illegal defense :oldlol: