PDA

View Full Version : Most of you wouldn't like robot/AI based refs, but I damn sure would

Ben Simmons 25
03-30-2019, 08:37 AM
Yeah, at first, there would be a shit ton of whistles and it would slow the game down a ton and be very annoying... as people get called for violation after violation... as the supercomputers miss absolutely nothing...

but eventually, the players would adjust.

They'd stop traveling as much. They wouldn't get to argue and taunt the refs... and it would remove emotions from the referee decision making. It would remove biases.

I for one can't wait for our new referee overlords. The players are straight up retards.

Referees are currently projected to be 98% automated away within 20 years... which means... they are going away. It's just a matter of time.

SpaceJam2
03-30-2019, 11:15 AM
I think basketball would be the hardest of sports to implement robot refs versus say NFL or baseball.

A lot depends on what is a "foul" and the contact aspect and I feel that would be hard. Plus, would the settings be set for every ticky tack arm grab when fighting for a rebound? Then there'd probably be a foul called on every single possession. I think baseball would be the easiest to implement robot refs but not sure about the NBA (strike zone, fair/foul ball, safe/out) those things are much easier to judge with a robot. In my opinion of course.

Ben Simmons 25
03-30-2019, 11:21 AM
Basketball would be more difficult than baseball... no doubt... but I'm sure that implementing something on the uniforms that provide visual cues and or pressure sensors would alleviate a lot of issues.

brooks_thompson
03-30-2019, 11:25 AM
Will there be a human with an alert monitor to blow the whistle? Will there be a robot out on the court wheeling around with a whistle? Will he be humanoid or R2D2-shaped? I need these questions answered.

SpaceJam2
03-30-2019, 11:58 AM
Will there be a human with an alert monitor to blow the whistle? Will there be a robot out on the court wheeling around with a whistle? Will he be humanoid or R2D2-shaped? I need these questions answered.

Brooks bout that meat and potatoes life :cheers:

**** all this ancillary stuff :cheers:

AlternativeAcc.
03-30-2019, 12:16 PM
Yeah, at first, there would be a shit ton of whistles and it would slow the game down a ton and be very annoying... as people get called for violation after violation... as the supercomputers miss absolutely nothing...

They'd stop traveling as much. They wouldn't get to argue and taunt the refs... and it would remove emotions from the referee decision making. It would remove biases.

I for one can't wait for our new referee overlords. The players are straight up retards.

Referees are currently projected to be 98% automated away within 20 years... which means... they are going away. It's just a matter of time.
Projected by who?

No way they're gonna have robots determining fouls, travels, goaltends, etc within 20 years

SpaceJam2
03-30-2019, 12:30 PM
Projected by who?

No way they're gonna have robots determining fouls, travels, goaltends, etc within 20 years

It will take some time before this get implemented at an NBA level. I also feel it would take away from the game a bit, as odd as that sounds. Maybe they can start at a slow pace such as implementing out of bounds sensors and 3 point line/2 point shot sensors, but who knows for sure.

FKAri
03-30-2019, 12:39 PM
I've already posted about this. It would revolutionize how players approach the game. They'd have to rewrite the rules as they are not well enough defined right now.

AlternativeAcc.
03-30-2019, 12:43 PM
It will take some time before this get implemented at an NBA level. I also feel it would take away from the game a bit, as odd as that sounds. Maybe they can start at a slow pace such as implementing out of bounds sensors and 3 point line/2 point shot sensors, but who knows for sure.
Yeah that actually seems plausible within the next 20 years.. but implementing changes in the way games are called seems to move at a snails pace in sports

They're just now able to review pass interference calls in the NFL even though they've had the technology for many years

Football and Basketball are extremely hard for robotic implementation. Baseball doesn't really even need much robotic intervention

SpaceJam2
03-30-2019, 12:44 PM
I've already posted about this. It would revolutionize how players approach the game. They'd have to rewrite the rules as they are not well enough defined right now.

There definitely is a ton of vagueness and definitions left for interpretation (I'm sure by design) considering the NBA has always been the sport that was never afraid of change and always willing/eager to please fans and adjust. Which is the exact opposite of the MLB

Skip_Bayless
03-30-2019, 01:34 PM

Cosigned

**** these players and the way they are playing now. Make them adapt and follow the rules. Their purpose in life is to entertain us and we want to be entertained by players who have no choice but to play by the rules.

AlternativeAcc.
03-30-2019, 01:38 PM
Cosigned

**** these players and the way they are playing now. Make them adapt and follow the rules. Their purpose in life is to entertain us and we want to be entertained by players who have no choice but to play by the rules.
Egokiller.. you are cringey. Go outside

Gus Hemmingway
03-30-2019, 01:42 PM
Egokiller.. you are cringey. Go outside
:roll: :roll: :roll:

Skip_Bayless
03-30-2019, 01:43 PM
https://i.postimg.cc/cL8PHH0p/wheels.gif

superduper
03-30-2019, 02:01 PM
Nah **** that. Robots can be manipulated too.

TheCorporation
03-30-2019, 02:03 PM
Cosigned

Ima be inthide yo mamas hoopths

AlternativeAcc.
03-30-2019, 02:05 PM
Nah **** that. Robots can be manipulated too.
Go outside

TheCorporation
03-30-2019, 02:06 PM
Go outside

:applause: