PDA

View Full Version : Defense is harder to play than ever before

egokiller
04-01-2019, 01:08 AM
The proliferation of 3-point shooting and the extra space it opens up means more options to account for and more ground to cover. Add in the advancements in player development, the rise of analytics, and the league office

SpaceJam2
04-01-2019, 01:30 AM
[QUOTE=egokiller]The proliferation of 3-point shooting and the extra space it opens up means more options to account for and more ground to cover. Add in the advancements in player development, the rise of analytics, and the league office

Mr.GOAT2408
04-01-2019, 03:26 AM
This is obvious but unfortunately most people can't grasp simple logic so thanks for this OP :applause:

nashwade
04-01-2019, 04:40 AM
[QUOTE=egokiller]The proliferation of 3-point shooting and the extra space it opens up means more options to account for and more ground to cover. Add in the advancements in player development, the rise of analytics, and the league office

egokiller
04-01-2019, 09:39 AM
that just means more points are earned at the foul line tho :coleman:

Being limited on defense doesn't mean that you always foul more.

Akeem34TheDream
04-01-2019, 10:00 AM
Agreed. And it feels like top players chase specific alltime stats which makes it even less impressive.

Manny98
04-01-2019, 10:09 AM
Defense is "harder" yet less players are averaging 29+ ppg today compared to the late 80s/early 90s :biggums:

egokiller
04-01-2019, 10:16 AM
Defense is "harder" yet less players are averaging 29+ ppg today compared to the late 80s/early 90s :biggums:

I know reading comprehension isn't your strong suit, so let's review again:

It's HARDER to play defense these days based on everything listed in my original post, so naturally players today are going to score MORE and easier.

superduper
04-01-2019, 10:20 AM
Defense is "harder" yet less players are averaging 29+ ppg today compared to the late 80s/early 90s

:biggums: :biggums:

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

egokiller
04-01-2019, 10:30 AM
:biggums: :biggums:

:roll: :roll: :roll:

:roll:

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
04-01-2019, 10:34 AM

This idiot just ethered himself into oblivion

:oldlol:

SpaceJam2
04-01-2019, 10:50 AM
Since egokilled is horrible at explaining things, I'll sum it up nicely

-Offensive players have a much higher skill set in the modern era
-As a result, defensive players have to work harder (can't punch, wrastle, headlock anymore)
-As a result, the game looks easier when it's not, skill set has just gone up. (e.g. If you plopped Kyrie Irving into the 70s it would look like MJ on steroids, just like plopping MJ into the 90s, and LeBron into today's league) They're just ahead of their time
-Players are better now, more athletic now, and come from a deeper talent pool. Period.

superduper
04-01-2019, 10:53 AM
Since egokilled is horrible at explaining things, I'll sum it up nicely

-Offensive players have a much higher skill set in the modern era
-As a result, defensive players have to work harder (can't punch, wrastle, headlock anymore)
-As a result, the game looks easier when it's not, skill set has just gone up. (e.g. If you plopped Kyrie Irving into the 70s it would look like MJ on steroids, just like plopping MJ into the 90s, and LeBron into today's league) They're just ahead of their time
-Players are better now, more athletic now, and come from a deeper talent pool. Period.

Literally everything you said is opinion based.

Manny98
04-01-2019, 10:58 AM
I know reading comprehension isn't your strong suit, so let's review again:

It's HARDER to play defense these days based on everything listed in my original post, so naturally players today are going to score MORE and easier.
But players today are not scoring more that's what i'm trying too say, outside of Harden noone else is averaging over 29ppg compared to the 80s/early 90s where you had 4-8 players getting 30 every night

Manny98
04-01-2019, 10:59 AM
This idiot just ethered himself into oblivion

:oldlol:
Less players today are averaging 29+ ppg compared to the 80s/early 90s that must mean that defense was weaker back them am i missing something?

egokiller
04-01-2019, 11:14 AM
But players today are not scoring more that's what i'm trying too say, outside of Harden noone else is averaging over 29ppg compared to the 80s/early 90s where you had 4-8 players getting 30 every night

Nice back peddle attempt, but there were not 4-8 players averaging 29ppg in the early 90's. :oldlol:

Look at 91-92,

MJ - 30.1 ppg
Malone - 28 ppg
Mullin 25.6 ppg
Clyde 25.0 ppg

SpaceJam2
04-01-2019, 11:26 AM
Literally everything you said is opinion based.

You have got to be kidding me...

Please tell me the players were more athletic in the 80s and 90s :roll: :roll:

sdot_thadon
04-01-2019, 12:03 PM
Op actually has basement level observation skill, good for you.:applause:

The saddest part of your post is when your feeble mind realizes that since it's "harder" to play defense in this era, it's also "harder" to be a great defender meaning it takes more skill and ability. I'll see if you can draw the conclusion from that. Shitting on an era in one way only raises it up in another. :oldlol:

And1AllDay
04-01-2019, 12:04 PM

The saddest part of your post is when your feeble mind realizes that since it's "harder" to play defense in this era, it's also "harder" to be a great defender meaning it takes more skill and ability. I'll see if you can draw the conclusion from that. Shitting on an era in one way only raises it up in another. :oldlol:

:eek: :eek:

egokiller
04-01-2019, 12:08 PM

Stop shitting on your own logic. It doesn't matter that it takes more skill and ability to be a great defender in this era, that doesn't change the fact that it's easier to score in this era. If LeBron can only score 18 ppg on guys like JJ Berea in the 2011 finals (despite it being much easier to score in this era), what makes you think he's going to score anywhere near MJ in a league during a time where it doesn't require as much skill to play defense and therefore more difficult to score? Answer: He's not. :roll:

sdot_thadon
04-01-2019, 12:19 PM
Stop shitting on your own logic. It doesn't matter that it takes more skill and ability to be a great defender in this era, that doesn't change the fact that it's easier to score in this era. If LeBron can only score 18 ppg on guys like JJ Berea in the 2011 finals (despite it being much easier to score in this era), what makes you think he's going to score anywhere near MJ in a league during a time where it doesn't require as much skill to play defense and therefore more difficult to score? Answer: He's not. :roll:
I just knew you'd suck at connecting the dots......

It's a yin/yang effect fella. It means an elite defender today>>>an elite defender from that era if we're to adhere to this logic. Hope that helps. Any questions?

AirTupac
04-01-2019, 12:22 PM
They cant answer LeBrons inability to score against worse defense and same statured players doe :lol

egokiller
04-01-2019, 12:25 PM
They cant answer LeBrons inability to score against worse defense and same statured players doe :lol

27 ppg on a DPOY back when defense could actually be played. That's what MJ did in the 96 finals.

18 ppg on JJ Berea where the rules make it very difficult to play effective defense. That's what LeBron did in the 2011 finals.

:roll: :roll: :roll:

egokiller
04-01-2019, 12:30 PM
I just knew you'd suck at connecting the dots......

It's a yin/yang effect fella. It means an elite defender today>>>an elite defender from that era if we're to adhere to this logic. Hope that helps. Any questions?

Nice mental gymnastics you are putting yourself through but you haven't disproved the fact that defense is harder to play than ever before and therefore it's easier for skilled offensive players to score on defenses of today, than it was for skilled offensive players to score back then.

Bottom line is that the offensive stats of today mean shit when you compare them to the offensive stats back then. :applause:

UK2K
04-01-2019, 12:34 PM
Wrong, if your man scores 20, nobody cares.

superduper
04-01-2019, 12:35 PM
Did someone just say players today aren't scoring more :wtf: :facepalm :facepalm

superduper
04-01-2019, 12:35 PM
You have got to be kidding me...

Please tell me the players were more athletic in the 80s and 90s :roll: :roll:

What makes Nikola Jokic or JJ Barea or Jason Terry or Boris Diaw more athletic than players of the past??

egokiller
04-01-2019, 12:36 PM
Did someone just say players today aren't scoring more :wtf: :facepalm :facepalm

It's gotten wayyyy to easy to come on here and always have the upper hand. I'm actually getting bored of always dominating in these arguments. :lol

sdot_thadon
04-01-2019, 12:43 PM
Nice mental gymnastics you are putting yourself through but you haven't disproved the fact that defense is harder to play than ever before and therefore it's easier for skilled offensive players to score on defenses of today, than it was for skilled offensive players to score back then.

Bottom line is that the offensive stats of today mean shit when you compare them to the offensive stats back then. :applause:
What a bum, I'm not disagreeing with your sentiment. I'm just pointing out what you didn't mention on the flipside and already knew you'd try to brush it off even though it employs your exact same logic. Quit embarrassing 80's babies bro.... if you're even one yourself.

egokiller
04-01-2019, 12:50 PM
What a bum, I'm not disagreeing with your sentiment.

You should have stopped yourself right there instead of digging yourself into a deeper hole then. :oldlol:

You know better than to test the waters with me when it comes to anything MJ related.

sdot_thadon
04-01-2019, 01:26 PM
You should have stopped yourself right there instead of digging yourself into a deeper hole then. :oldlol:

You know better than to test the waters with me when it comes to anything MJ related.
And you wonder why you're a walking punching bag around these parts? You don't actually project to know anything about Mj aside from what most Mj stans do: latch on to posts with actual data or basketball logic without providing any of your own. Come on Mj expert why haven't we seen a thoughtful post about him on this account or the one you ran from on an already anonymous message board? I mean you saw his career supposedly, instead you're a guy who put himself in witness protection circa 2016:oldlol:

SpaceJam2
04-01-2019, 01:37 PM
And you wonder why you're a walking punching bag around these parts? You don't actually project to know anything about Mj aside from what most Mj stans do: latch on to posts with actual data or basketball logic without providing any of your own. Come on Mj expert why haven't we seen a thoughtful post about him on this account or the one you ran from on an already anonymous message board? I mean you saw his career supposedly, instead you're a guy who put himself in witness protection circa 2016:oldlol:

MJ has been a CLEAR #2 (at best) since 2016

WitnessProtection since 2016 :roll:

egokiller
04-01-2019, 01:41 PM
And this is how you know you've won an argument, when the opposition claims you are some poster who left the boards in 2016. :applause:

That myth was debunked awhile ago.

sdot_thadon
04-01-2019, 01:49 PM
And this is how you know you've won an argument, when the opposition claims you are some poster who left the boards in 2016. :applause:

That myth was debunked awhile ago.
Oh snap this clown thinks he won a message board world title:oldlol:

Make better threads and then you'll feel like a winner bro. And get back on your real account for Christ's sake this is beyond pathetic.

egokiller
04-01-2019, 01:55 PM
These white flag responses to my topics are indeed beyond pathetic. If you don't have a high enough bball IQ to agree with my sound logic and leave it at that, you can always resort to some debunked nonsense to support your claims. Yep try that... it's certainly been working great for Simon all these years.

Oh wait. :sleeping

sdot_thadon
04-01-2019, 01:59 PM
These white flag responses to my topics are indeed beyond pathetic. If you don't have a high enough bball IQ to agree with my sound logic and leave it at that, you can always resort to some debunked nonsense to support your claims. Yep try that... it's certainly been working great for Simon all these years.

Oh wait. :sleeping
I've already made a point you CLEARLY wanted no parts of. If you did the discussion would be going now. It's all good carry on Altin.

SpaceJam2
04-01-2019, 02:12 PM
I've already made a point you CLEARLY wanted no parts of. If you did the discussion would be going now. It's all good carry on Altin.

Str8-Alltin

Wrekt again

Another one

egokiller
04-01-2019, 03:54 PM

If anything you enhanced what I'm saying just like you further my points made in this thread:

http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=465114&page=5