PDA

View Full Version : Steph Curry will be considered the GOAT PG

StrongLurk
04-13-2019, 10:48 PM
For one...he is second best of all time for me at this point. But none of the upcoming generations give a *** about a guy named Magic Johnson who's prime was over 30 years ago...coupled with the fact that Curry is the king of 3 and reflects the modern era more than anyone.

Warriors will 3-peat this year and Curry will get the crown of GOAT PG (maybe even FMVP, even though he should have had that in 2015).

FKAri
04-13-2019, 10:52 PM
He's a much more dangerous scorer than Magic. Neither could guard anyone. But Magic had the power to get people to stop smoking crack and focus on basketball. This rare talent will keep him in the top 10 for a long time.

StrongLurk
04-13-2019, 10:54 PM
He's a much more dangerous scorer than Magic. Neither could guard anyone. But Magic had the power to get people to stop smoking crack and focus on basketball. This rare talent will keep him in the top 10 for a long time.

Magic might be my least favorite in the top 10 besides Hakeem.

FKAri
04-13-2019, 10:55 PM
Magic might be my least favorite in the top 10 besides Hakeem.
I despise the phaggit and think he's overrated(gigantic post career boost). But the last time I said that Kblaze posted a novel.

305Baller
04-13-2019, 10:55 PM
Hmm... Dunno how i feel about it. Not sure i care. Nope.

Hakeem Olajuwon
04-14-2019, 08:42 AM
For one...he is second best of all time for me at this point. But none of the upcoming generations give a *** about a guy named Magic Johnson who's prime was over 30 years ago...coupled with the fact that Curry is the king of 3 and reflects the modern era more than anyone.

Warriors will 3-peat this year and Curry will get the crown of GOAT PG (maybe even FMVP, even though he should have had that in 2015).
Curry is the best shooter of all time, but the greatest point guards I

Hey Yo
04-14-2019, 11:27 AM
[QUOTE=Hakeem Olajuwon]Curry is the best shooter of all time, but the greatest point guards I

TheCorporation
04-14-2019, 11:29 AM
No one will EVER be considered the GOAT with zero FMVP

If he gets at least 2 then we can talk. Magic has 3 (but even if we take way his 1980 FMVP and give it to Kareem) Curry would still need at least one dude. Guy cannot lead for shit in crunch time.

More turnovers than assists for a Finals series as a POINT GUARD?!

NOPE

Marchesk
04-14-2019, 11:31 AM
Curry will need to pass Kobe before he can be ranked ahead of Magic all-time, which would be around the top 7.

Big164
04-14-2019, 11:53 AM
Best "3pt" shooter of all time. His lack of mid-range attempts and makes keeps him from being labeled best all around shooter.
Go look at all time Freethrow%. He

ImKobe
04-14-2019, 12:04 PM
Greatest scoring PG in league history, but overall? That's tough. Magic's resume is hard to beat and people will hold his lack of FMVPs & defense against him.

Hey Yo
04-14-2019, 12:09 PM
[QUOTE=Big164]Go look at all time Freethrow%. He

TheCorporation
04-14-2019, 12:11 PM
Greatest scoring PG in league history, but overall? That's tough. Magic's resume is hard to beat and people will hold his lack of FMVPs & defense against him.

I'm starting to wonder if you're a true Lakers fan if you're contemplating Curry over Magic for best PG of all-time. Are you just a Kobe nut hugger?

TheCorporation
04-14-2019, 12:12 PM
Citing uncontested FTA???

:oldlol: GTFO with that stupid shit.

:roll: :roll:

That shit was pretty funny. Curry's peformances in the Finals don't even crack the top 15, and yes I will make a thread on it later :D :oldlol:

hold this L
04-14-2019, 12:45 PM
Not as of right now. If he wins 1 more championship and 1 MVP, or 2 more championships it's certainly possible. Climbing Mr Rushmore, one beatdown at a time. :pimp:

Manny98
04-14-2019, 12:50 PM
Win a FMVP

And win a championship without needing KD and beating teams missing there top key players then we can talk

hold this L
04-14-2019, 12:53 PM
Win a FMVP

And win a championship without needing Wade and beating teams with there top key players injured then we can talk
:biggums:

FKAri
04-14-2019, 12:59 PM
Not as of right now. If he wins 1 more championship and 1 MVP, or 2 more championships it's certainly possible. Climbing Mr Rushmore, one beatdown at a time. :pimp:
Ya but **** all that rangz and FMVPs and trophies nonsense. How good is he as a basketball player compared to the other all-time great PGs? Who are you picking to take on your team? Curry's already nearing the end of his prime so he's a known quantity. Is he better at basketball than Zeke? I think he is.

1987_Lakers
04-14-2019, 01:12 PM
He's in the discussion with Magic. He's the best shooter in history and it's not even close, prime Curry is a 27 ppg player with a 65 TS%, how many guys in the history of the game can say that?

His defense isn't really all that bad to be honest, he can typically stay in front of his man, but his lack of size can bring him trouble when guarding taller guys on switches. Magic was atrocious on the defensive end during the later part of his career, worse than Curry, but both play such a different style of basketball that it's hard to compare the two.

tontoz
04-14-2019, 01:24 PM
Ya but **** all that rangz and FMVPs and trophies nonsense. How good is he as a basketball player compared to the other all-time great PGs? Who are you picking to take on your team? Curry's already nearing the end of his prime so he's a known quantity. Is he better at basketball than Zeke? I think he is.

Easily. Zeke is way overrated. He loved to shoot but wasn't good at it. His career TS is over 10% worse than Curry's.

The only guys who have an argument over Curry are Stockton and Magic. Their styles are so different it is hard to make a comparison. It probably comes down to personal bias ie what you value in a pg.

hold this L
04-14-2019, 01:29 PM
I don't understand the Stockton love. Would easily take Zeke over him, and Stockton had some horrendous games in the playoffs.. esp in this era where people look at PPG he would have gotten crucified.

tontoz
04-14-2019, 01:43 PM
I don't understand the Stockton love. Would easily take Zeke over him, and Stockton had some horrendous games in the playoffs.. esp in this era where people look at PPG he would have gotten crucified.

Zeke wasn't even the best guard on own his team during their title runs. Dumars was better on both ends.

superduper
04-14-2019, 01:47 PM
Steph is a top 3 offensive force in NBA history alongside MJ and Shaq. No matter what anyone says or thinks that is just a fact.

Manny98
04-14-2019, 01:47 PM
Nash and CP3 are better than Stockton and Zeke lol

72-10
04-14-2019, 01:53 PM
Quite a bold prediction considering Curry has several weaknesses. I think Oscar is the #2 PG of all time still, with Curry #3.

72-10
04-14-2019, 01:54 PM
Steph is a top 3 offensive force in NBA history alongside MJ and Shaq. No matter what anyone says or thinks that is just a fact.

Someone who has as much trouble finishing near the rim as Curry does is not a top three offensive player all-time. Plus his scoring average is too low.

As a throwback example of someone who is a greater offensive player than Curry; Jerry West.

tontoz
04-14-2019, 01:55 PM

I was thinking of the all time lists that seem to always have magic and stockton at 1 and 2. Granted it has been a long time since i actually looked at those lists lol.

Personally i would agree with you.

72-10
04-14-2019, 01:57 PM
Best "3pt" shooter of all time. His lack of mid-range attempts and makes keeps him from being labeled best all around shooter.

hit me with your greatest shooter list

tontoz
04-14-2019, 02:00 PM
Someone who has as much trouble finishing near the rim as Curry does is not a top three offensive player all-time. Plus his scoring average is too low.

LMAO Curry is stellar at finishing near the rim. For his career he shoots 64.6% from inside 3 feet.

Scoring average too low? He is the highest scoring pg ever with elite efficiency. He is averaging 27 ppg this season with a TS of 64%. Having said that Durant certainly belongs in the conversation.

ArbitraryWater
04-14-2019, 02:04 PM

As a throwback example of someone who is a greater offensive player than Curry; Jerry West.

the fact you say shit like this amongst other gems while posing as a ball head is hilarious

72-10
04-14-2019, 02:06 PM
LMAO Curry is stellar at finishing near the rim. For his career he shoots 64.6% from inside 3 feet.

Scoring average too low? He is the highest scoring pg ever with elite efficiency. He is averaging 27 ppg this season with a TS of 64%. Having said that Durant certainly belongs in the conversation.

this guy claimed him a top three offensive player all-time, it's a side convo from the greatest pg discussion. I do think he's in the discussion for top three pg now. Curry always shrinks when he gets near the rim like he's afraid of contact and half the time he jags the layup.

superduper
04-14-2019, 02:07 PM
Curry is elite at finishing near the rim as well...

This perception that he's just a 3pt shooter is only believed by casual masses who do not watch.

72-10
04-14-2019, 02:08 PM
apparently I'm always watching when he jags a layup. I'll need to take a look at the stats near the rim.

FKAri
04-14-2019, 02:09 PM
Zeke/CP3 over Stockton/Nash

CP3/Nash are kinda like next gen versions. Not necessarily better tho.

Stephonit
04-14-2019, 02:09 PM
Curry is the best PG ever already. His playmaking is better than Magic's. He's played against tougher competition and has set more records. People downplay Steph by calling him a shooter but ignore that he is indeed one of the best scorers ever. The proper benchmark for Curry is not Magic Johnson it is Michael Jordan.

superduper
04-14-2019, 02:10 PM
Zeke/CP3
Stockton/Nash

I think I'd put Nash over Stockton but agreed

superduper
04-14-2019, 02:10 PM
Curry is the best PG ever already. His playmaking is better than Magic's. He's played against tougher competition and has set more records. People downplay Steph by calling him a shooter but ignore that he is indeed one of the best scorer's ever. The proper benchmark for Curry is not Magic Johnson it is Michael Jordan.

Steph's playmaking is incredibly under rated but that's just pushing it

tontoz
04-14-2019, 02:11 PM
this guy claimed him a top three offensive player all-time, it's a side convo from the greatest pg discussion. I do think he's in the discussion for top three pg now. Curry always shrinks when he gets near the rim like he's afraid of contact and half the time he jags the layup.

Top 3 offensive force.... i would agree it is debatable. You could make a case for guys like Wilt, Kareem, Lebron.....

But i have no clue where you get the idea he stuggles to finish. He is great with both hands and he drives under control which helps him adjust to the defense.

Stephonit
04-14-2019, 02:11 PM

No it isn't. You don't agree? Tell me did Magic have anything close to Steph's gravity? Could Magic force defenses to open up with anything like the spacing Steph's shooting provides? Steph's offensive abilities are grossly underappreciated. He can kill you on or off the ball. He creates plays by just being on the floor.

72-10
04-14-2019, 02:13 PM
:oldlol:

red1
04-14-2019, 02:14 PM
I think so too. Top-2 alltime at the least. That shooting ability would translate to any era past present and future. His resume if he can nab a finals MVP this year would start to flesh out too.

tontoz
04-14-2019, 02:15 PM

Seriously Magic's playmaking was unreal. Being slow actually helped him because he stayed under control, plus he was tall enough to see over everyone guarding him.

He seemed to be aware of where everyone was at all times.

SamuraiSWISH
04-14-2019, 02:16 PM
I

FKAri
04-14-2019, 02:17 PM
[QUOTE=SamuraiSWISH]I

72-10
04-14-2019, 02:19 PM
Rank them according to how good they are and not their resumes.

Why would you do that? That's not a greatness criteria. It's the combo of the two. The title says GOAT. He of the 16,000 points.

superduper
04-14-2019, 02:20 PM
No it isn't. You don't agree? Tell me did Magic have anything close to Steph's gravity? Could Magic force defenses to open up with anything like the spacing Steph's shooting provides? Steph's offensive abilities are grossly underappreciated. He can kill you on or off the ball. He creates plays by just being on the floor.

The fact that Magic was as great as he was at creating for others WITHOUT having Steph's gravity plays a big part in Magic being a better playmaker.

72-10
04-14-2019, 02:21 PM
No one has the court vision of Magic Johnson.

Kblaze8855
04-14-2019, 02:24 PM
A goat PG discussion is probably the best place to go on ISH to find people talking directly out of their ass. In no other topic will so many people make concrete statements about people they cleeeeeearly don

ArbitraryWater
Why would you do that? That's not a greatness criteria. It's the combo of the two. The title says GOAT. He of the 16,000 points.

you can define GOAT however you want. thats YOUR definition. there is no universal one.

im not gonna count achievements if those came with inferior performances to others that didnt end in as much success.... i am gonna count em, but performance goes first.

CP3 last year could have led a team to a title barring injury, it wouldnt have been unprobable. in fact, had he been healthy it would have been odds on after game 5.

ArbitraryWater
[QUOTE=Kblaze8855]A goat PG discussion is probably the best place to go on ISH to find people talking directly out of their ass. In no other topic will so many people make concrete statements about people they cleeeeeearly don

Stephonit
04-14-2019, 02:26 PM
The fact that Magic was as great as he was at creating for others WITHOUT having Steph's gravity plays a big part in Magic being a better playmaker.

That makes no sense. Steph has gravity due to his skill. Why should having gravity make him a lesser playmaker? It makes Curry a better playmaker.

tontoz
04-14-2019, 02:27 PM
No one has the court vision of Magic Johnson.

Hard to argue with that. Some guys just have that innate ability to see the whole floor all the time.

Being 6'9" helps.

72-10
04-14-2019, 02:28 PM
currently 80th all-time in assists playing his whole career on a team that perennially leads the league in assists

FKAri
04-14-2019, 02:30 PM
I just don't like to look at it that way. I rank them based on the opportunities they were given not just tallying up their accomplishments.

Stephonit
04-14-2019, 02:31 PM
currently 80th all-time in assists playing his whole career on a team that perennially leads the league in assists

You're using assists as a measure of what? Curry creates plays without getting assists. He is next level.

72-10
04-14-2019, 02:33 PM
I just don't like to look at it that way. I rank them based on the opportunities they were given not just tallying up their accomplishments.

Curry has started his whole career, and was basically the man from the start.

warriorfan
04-14-2019, 02:53 PM
That makes no sense. Steph has gravity due to his skill. Why should having gravity make him a lesser playmaker? It makes Curry a better playmaker.

This. Look how Steph Curry has been guarded in the past 4 Finals. They would rather hard double him at half court and give up 4 on 3 sets rather than play him straight up. Curry creates better opportunities than anyone who

SpaceJam2
04-14-2019, 03:14 PM

And scoring? :lol

Come on man...Bad argument structure

SpaceJam2
04-14-2019, 03:15 PM
[QUOTE=warriorfan]This. Look how Steph Curry has been guarded in the past 4 Finals. They would rather hard double him at half court and give up 4 on 3 sets rather than play him straight up. Curry creates better opportunities than anyone who

warriorfan
04-14-2019, 03:18 PM
Without a doubt, he's always serving up finals MVPs to his own teammates because he lacks the capacity to excel at the highest level. What a guy :applause:

They have low iqs from bleacher report as award voters. Anyone who knows two shits about basketball can tell you Andre Iguodala was not more valuable than Steph Curry in the 2015 Finals. It

SpaceJam2
04-14-2019, 03:21 PM
They have low iqs from bleacher report as award voters. Anyone who knows two shits about basketball can tell you Andre Iguodala was not more valuable than Steph Curry in the 2015 Finals. It’s laughable.

You better be a little more humble buddy. You're so lucky Kevin Love and Kyrie Irving were both injured that series otherwise you guys get destroyed.

Without Andre Iguodala you guys get eviscerated by Bron. He averaged a clean 36/13/9 with Matthew Dellavedova. If it's no Iggy then he's doing 38 on better % (48 ish) and y'all would lose. Stay woke.

tontoz
04-14-2019, 03:22 PM
[QUOTE=warriorfan]They have low iqs from bleacher report as award voters. Anyone who knows two shits about basketball can tell you Andre Iguodala was not more valuable than Steph Curry in the 2015 Finals. It

SpaceJam2
04-14-2019, 03:27 PM
I'll take the guy who averaged 26 (and was the focus of the defense) over the guy who averaged 16 (who was constantly left wide open).

De

tontoz
04-14-2019, 03:40 PM
[QUOTE=SpaceJam2]De

SpaceJam2
04-14-2019, 03:52 PM
Iggy guarded Lebron who averaged 36/13/9.

:bowdown:

Exactly...Imagine without him. 40/12/8 on 48%

tpols
04-14-2019, 03:52 PM
the 2015 FMVP snub was one of the worst in NBA history...

Basically is the reason nobody cares about the award. Larry Bird lost a FMVP to cedric maxwell.

The guys who truly make their teammates better get punished for it.

StrongLurk
04-14-2019, 03:54 PM
The people talking about FMVP...Curry OBVIOUSLY should have won in it in 2015...the issue was Lebron put up such a herculean effort that he warped the conversation to possibly HIM being for MVP or the guy who managed to slow him down some while being the X-Factor on offense.

Do people REALLY think Iggy was more important than Curry in the 2015 finals??? Iggy got WIDE OPEN shots constantly because the Cavs doubled Curry hard all series.

ArbitraryWater
04-14-2019, 03:54 PM

Basically is the reason nobody cares about the award. Larry Bird lost a FMVP to cedric maxwell.

see, nobody said this shit at the time, but all of a sudden its one of the worst snubs ever :lol

yea, bron snubbed is indeed WOAT

eliteballer
04-14-2019, 04:15 PM
A player who's never won a Finals MVP?:roll:

sammichoffate
04-14-2019, 04:24 PM
[QUOTE=SpaceJam2]De

TheCorporation
04-14-2019, 05:01 PM

I'm not so sure about that, the 2010 snub on Gasol was pretty bad, too.

TheCorporation
04-14-2019, 05:02 PM

:roll: Found the Kobe fan--that was easy!

:roll: :roll:

bizil
04-15-2019, 12:11 AM
He's the first PG to come down the pike in like FOREVER to maybe have a chance to pass Magic by. He already has three rings and 2 MVP's. THAT RIGHT THERE, puts him on a high ass pedestal. From there, he revolutionized the PG spot for sure. Scoring PG's are the new wave in today's game. And Steph is the poster child.

But to pass Magic by is a tall order. He has 5 rings, 3 MVPs, and 3 Finals MVPs. He FOR SURE revolutionized the PG spot too. And the scary part is Magic had to retire at only 32 years of age. NO other PG could take advantage of all those years Magic left on the table.

I would say Steph is the 3rd GOAT PG for sure He's passed Zeke by in my opinion. He already has just as many All NBA teams as Zeke, has more rings, and more MVPs. Big O doesn't have as many rings or MVPs. BUT he was so dominant and revolutionary that I don't think it's clear cut that Steph has passed him by yet. But he's on pace to pass him by too.

The fact Steph is ON TRACK to maybe pass Magic by says a lot. On a peak-prime level, I would take Magic by a bit. BUT Steph is such a dominant offensive force that u could take him too. But guys who are the ultimate triple double threats, can dominate scoring, and play 4 to 5 different positions don't grow on trees. Magic, Bron, and Bird type guys are hella rare!

4pointshot
04-15-2019, 12:29 AM
Big as fan as I am of Curry, I wonder why Harden is missing from these discussions. Harden has played considerable time at PG, and he consistently finishes far higher than Curry in assists, let alone rebounds. He's not as an efficient shooter, but his efficiency is greater than that of most top SGs, let alone PGs, of the past.

Magic and Steph re-defined what PGs do, but Harden, I think you could say, is redefining what a PG is. If he's in the top 10 in assists as a SG, what does it really matter what you call him?

RRR3
04-15-2019, 12:34 AM
Iggy guarded Lebron who averaged 36/13/9.

:bowdown:
What did he shoot doe?

Granted LeBron was way worse than usual that playoffs at scoring. Back problems perhaps?

bizil
04-15-2019, 04:22 PM
Big as fan as I am of Curry, I wonder why Harden is missing from these discussions. Harden has played considerable time at PG, and he consistently finishes far higher than Curry in assists, let alone rebounds. He's not as an efficient shooter, but his efficiency is greater than that of most top SGs, let alone PGs, of the past.

Magic and Steph re-defined what PGs do, but Harden, I think you could say, is redefining what a PG is. If he's in the top 10 in assists as a SG, what does it really matter what you call him?

Most of Harden's career has been as a SG. So among SG's, he's headed for top 4 GOAT status. IF u consider him a PG, he could be in that same realm. BUT to be ranked any higher than that, he needs to win some rings.

And Mike D's system AMPS up the dimes for PG's. BEFORE Mike D came to Houston, Harden NEVER averaged more than 7.5 dimes a night. BEFORE Kerr came to Golden State, Curry averaged 8.5 dimes in a season before! So DUE TO THE OFFENSIVE system, Harden's assists went up. While Curry's came down. Harden was asked to play MORE with the rock in his hands. Steph was asked to play LESS with the ball in his hands.

Both are like the ultimate combo type of guards who can dribble, pass, and shoot on a great level! Among SG's, Harden combines those elements better than ANYBODY ever! While among PG's, Curry combines those elements better than ANYBODY ever!

superduper
04-15-2019, 04:27 PM
Why did FkAri get ban :roll: :roll:

SpaceJam2
04-15-2019, 04:29 PM

Are you okay?

Celtics 1825
04-15-2019, 04:49 PM
Curry needs that FMVP badly or there will be a glaring hole in his resume that will keep him out of these discussions.

FKAri
04-15-2019, 05:09 PM
It's OK. I have admin access.

TheCorporation
04-15-2019, 05:23 PM
:lebronamazed:

Celtics 1825
04-15-2019, 05:52 PM
Jeff? :lebronamazed:

sammichoffate
04-15-2019, 06:14 PM
It's OK. I have admin access.http://i.imgur.com/Ou6be3R.gif

4pointshot
04-15-2019, 11:24 PM
And Mike D's system AMPS up the dimes for PG's. BEFORE Mike D came to Houston, Harden NEVER averaged more than 7.5 dimes a night. BEFORE Kerr came to Golden State, Curry averaged 8.5 dimes in a season before! So DUE TO THE OFFENSIVE system, Harden's assists went up. While Curry's came down. Harden was asked to play MORE with the rock in his hands. Steph was asked to play LESS with the ball in his hands.

Curry had his highest Asst% the year before Kerr took over, true, but it was just one year. His rate has been pretty steady throughout his career, before and during Kerr:

Before: 6.5 +/- 1.3
During: 6.5 +/- 0.9

Harden had a very similar assist rate at Houston before D

Mr.GOAT2408
04-16-2019, 02:00 PM
Magic and Curry are pretty much the same age when Magic played his last full season. Excluding 96 which barely did anything for Magic, Magic played 2 more seasons and both had a season where they missed most of their teams games

He's still way ahead. In terms of resume: 9 finals, 5 rings, 3 finals MVPs (probably should have just 2), 3 MVPs, 9x 1st team and a 2nd team.

Curry best case after this season: 5 finals, 4 rings, 1 finals MVP, 2 MVPs, 3x 1st, 2x 2nd, 1 3rd

Me personally I find Magic's skillset more valuable especially in the postseason, he was not only a point forward but also the ultimate teammate, his defense could also be hidden bettee than Curry who is almost useless on that end - not due to effort, but he lacks top tier size/athleticism. And while those 80s Lakers had a lot of luck (weak West, Kareem + Worthy) they also had a lot of bad luck as well (namely the 89 finals), the Warriors have been incredibly lucky if anything

I don't see a strong chance myself but Magic played so long ago that many are going to gravitate towards a younger player and that's ok, that's life, but it'll take a lot for Curry to do that for me

kennethgriffen
04-16-2019, 02:07 PM
i actually think curry could go down as the GOAT PG and not because of his accomplishments but just for the way the game is evolving. pretty soon all guys will shoot are 3's... then curry will be the only choice. only harden would have a chance at dethroning him ( thats if you consider him a PG )

SpaceJam2
04-16-2019, 02:25 PM
i actually think curry could go down as the GOAT PG and not because of his accomplishments but just for the way the game is evolving. pretty soon all guys will shoot are 3's... then curry will be the only choice. only harden would have a chance at dethroning him ( thats if you consider him a PG )

Spoken like a true "Lakers" fan :lol Fake ass fan, you're just a Kobe fan

Exposed

StrongLurk
04-16-2019, 05:33 PM
People are missing my point...no one CARES about Magic Johnson if you are under 25.

Magic is a massive MEME at this point. A joke. Curry is the example of the newest era and is way more influential than Magic. So many kids can shoot the 3, how many kids can be 6'9 and play PG?

Curry will be the GOAT PG because that's what happens over time. The past is ignored.

MJ is the only guy truly standing the test of time.

Marchesk
04-16-2019, 06:11 PM

Right, because you never see anyone on here talk about Wilt's records, Russell's rings, or Kareem's career accomplishments.

LeCola
04-16-2019, 06:17 PM
He is still 31 years old. If he finishes his career with 7-8 rings and 2-3 FMVP's, why not? At least some people would call him...

If they win it this year and he gets FMVP, those numbers will be 4 rings, 1 FMVP and still 31 years old.

eliteballer
04-16-2019, 06:18 PM
Curry is closer to Nash than Magic.

tontoz
04-16-2019, 06:45 PM
Curry is closer to Nash than Magic.

Nash aged very well because his game was based on skill and shooting. The same is true for Curry.

Let's be real though Nash took only 3 threes per game for his career. He never had a 20 ppg season. Curry is already well past Nash.

SouBeachTalents
04-16-2019, 06:49 PM
He is still 31 years old. If he finishes his career with 7-8 rings and 2-3 FMVP's, why not? At least some people would call him...

If they win it this year and he gets FMVP, those numbers will be 4 rings, 1 FMVP and still 31 years old.
:biggums: What kinda shit is that. Casually throwing out doubling his ring total like that's remotely realistic :oldlol:

Mr.GOAT2408
04-16-2019, 07:33 PM
People are missing my point...no one CARES about Magic Johnson if you are under 25.

Magic is a massive MEME at this point. A joke. Curry is the example of the newest era and is way more influential than Magic. So many kids can shoot the 3, how many kids can be 6'9 and play PG?

Curry will be the GOAT PG because that's what happens over time. The past is ignored.

First of all, bolded couldn't be further from the truth. While yes the past does get ignored over time, the guys that have dominated the 60s onwards and especially the past 40 years will stand the test of time because the league became far bigger/more accessible during that time

Magic is a meme no doubt, but no one has questioned his playing ability. He's still one of the most unique players in league history to go along with being one of the most successful

Wings/Forwards are generally better cornerstones than point guards and Magic being a PG in a forwards body is too much to pass up

It'll be interesting seeing how it looks a decade from now, I think the league was heading this direction whether Curry existed or not, Ray was the next step from Miller and Curry was the next step from Ray. Trae is already looking like a Nash/Curry hybrid at 20, although his defense will need to massively be covered up

LeCola
04-16-2019, 08:13 PM
:biggums: What kinda shit is that. Casually throwing out doubling his ring total like that's remotely realistic :oldlol:

Do you know what is "if"?

https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/if

It does not have to be realistic, I can also say:

If I sell my feces for 1.000.000.000.000.000 dollars, my feces would be most valuabld thing on the earth.

Or

If Lebron wins 10 FMVP in 5 years, he would pass MJ.

LeCola
04-16-2019, 08:23 PM
Also, if Gsw keeps Durant, Klay, Green and Kerr it would not be imposible to win 3-4 more trophy.

Curry is 31
Durant is 31
Klay is 29
Green is 29
Kerr is 53

Derka
04-16-2019, 08:29 PM
That

bizil
04-17-2019, 01:53 PM
The THING about Magic's legacy that people forget is his impact on POSITIONLESS basketball. He wasn't just a 6'9 PG! Way back in his ROOKIE YEAR, he LEGIT played ALL FIVE POSITIONS at 6'9!! That was WAY AHEAD of its time!! People gotta understand that paved the way for a Bron, Greek Freak, etc. Bron has been widely considered the best player in the world for several years. In my opinion, Giannis could very well be the guy to replace him. Even though Bron and Greek Freak are different players than Magic, they STILL have the positionless trait that Magic put on the map! Both have LEGIT played all five positions on the court.

If Magic had THEIR freak athletic ability and defense, it would have been harder for MJ to pass him by. Not saying MJ wouldn't have, but it would have been harder. So let's not prop Steph up for redefining the game AND not do the same for Magic's impact on positionless basketball! Shooting AND positionless basketball are the top two things that define this era!

bizil
04-17-2019, 02:11 PM
First of all, bolded couldn't be further from the truth. While yes the past does get ignored over time, the guys that have dominated the 60s onwards and especially the past 40 years will stand the test of time because the league became far bigger/more accessible during that time

Magic is a meme no doubt, but no one has questioned his playing ability. He's still one of the most unique players in league history to go along with being one of the most successful

Wings/Forwards are generally better cornerstones than point guards and Magic being a PG in a forwards body is too much to pass up

It'll be interesting seeing how it looks a decade from now, I think the league was heading this direction whether Curry existed or not, Ray was the next step from Miller and Curry was the next step from Ray. Trae is already looking like a Nash/Curry hybrid at 20, although his defense will need to massively be covered up

Well said! BEFORE Magic and Bird, the best player in the world was ALWAYS considered a center pretty much. Mikan, Russ, Wilt, Kareem, and Moses were considered the best player in the world. ONCE Magic and Bird broke out, THEY were considered the best. They were the first perimeter players in league history to be considered the best. At times it was Bird, at times it was Magic. And from there, MJ was considered the best player in the world.

BUT Magic and Bird were THE TWO who broke through. Because they had the size LEGIT to be PF's. But had the skillset and great all around ability of the great perimeter players. The league had NEVER come close to seeing guys 6'9 and up with that kind of ability. If people don't realize these two were a precursor to Bron, KD, Greek Freak, etc. then don't know the history of the game!

And people tend to forget how important Ray was in NBA history. BEFORE Ray, there weren't pure shooters with his blend of athletic ability and handles. Guys like Bird, Reggie, Mark Price, Rice, Ellis, etc. didn't have that. Ray had that package. Ray in this era would be the contending with Harden for the best SG in the world crown. Ray was a better pure shooter, more athletic, a better defender, and an underrated passer.

Axe
09-28-2020, 07:56 PM
Stephen curry is already 32 years old but still has yet to grab his very first fmvp award, very first iconic playoff moment and very first go-ahead shot in the last 20 seconds of decisive playoff circumstances.

I believe he still has a good chance to grab them all at once but the whole world knows that time is already running out very quick.

Round Mound
09-29-2020, 03:02 AM
He shouldnt be.

He is the GOAT Shooting PG...yeah

Or Even The GOAT Long Range Shooter.

BUT HE WASN'T THE PLAY MAKER other PGs Where.

Stephonit
09-29-2020, 07:31 PM
He shouldnt be.

Curry is the greatest playmaker of all-time. All Curry needs to do to be a playmaker is step on the court and his gravity starts having its effect. That doesn't even begin to take into account how his superior handle and court coverage opens things up.

Axe
09-30-2020, 12:07 AM
Curry is the greatest playmaker of all-time. All Curry needs to do to be a playmaker is step on the court and his gravity starts having its effect. That doesn't even begin to take into account how his superior handle and court coverage opens things up.
What happened tho when had to play without klay

Gohan
09-30-2020, 12:43 AM
^^^ cmon man everyone was injured on that team. Not just Klay

guy
09-30-2020, 09:06 AM
At this point, I think its doubtful he'll ever surpass Magic. He's #2 or #3 with Isiah. If he's not already better, he'll get there.

tpols
09-30-2020, 10:16 AM
He shouldnt be.

That's a low IQ take. He averaged 9 dimes a game under mark Jackson being more of a ball dominator, and took a big reduction the next year under Kerr to unlock the greatest passing teams ever. His offensive decision making, passing, and dribble game are all ridiculously elite but playing off ball more makes for better teamwork and a higher team ceiling. (dynasty)