PDA

View Full Version : winning a major championship in golf isn't a great accomplishment

kennethgriffen
04-15-2019, 09:51 PM
when you really think about it. what do you need to do in order to make the cut for the nba finals of golf ( which there are 4 of them every year )

just be a professional golfer

theres no regular season

theres no tournament/playoff to see who gets to go. you just swipe your pga card at the door and hope you play well for 4 days

its basically a lebron james finals appearance out of the east. its a free pass/ticket and you might win 3 out of 9 times like lebron... well lets look at tigers masters finishes

1995 - tied for 41st

1996 - failed to finish

1997 - wins

1998 - tied for 8th

1999 - tied for 18th

2000 - 5th

2001 - wins

2002 - wins

2003 - tied for 15th

2004 - tied for 22nd

2005 - wins

2006 - tied for 3rd

2007 - tied for 2nd

2008 - 2nd

2009 - tied for 6th

2010 - tied for 4th

2011 - tied for 4th

2012 - tied for 40th

2013 - tied for 4th

2014 - DNP

2015 - tied for 17th

2016 - DNP

2017 - DNP

2018 - tied for 32nd

2019 - wins

5 for 25 ( 20% finals win rate ) ... a worse finals win% than lebrons 33%

overall woods has probably played in over 100 major tournaments and won 15

he never earned his right to play for a title. he has a bunch of useless trophies from gifted events. golfing is a farce. the end

kennethgriffen
04-15-2019, 10:06 PM
imagine if there was a 1 on 1 tournament over 4 days in the nba that took place 4 times a year... kobe would win 50 championships

1997 - 0 titles ( didn't make cut )
1998 - 1 title ( losing 3 to MJ )
1999 - 4 titles
2000 - 3 titles ( losing 1 to vince )
2001 - 4 titles
2002 - 4 titles
2003 - 3 titles ( losing 1 to tmac )
2004 - 3 titles ( losing 1 to tmac )
2005 - 3 titles ( losing 1 to tmac )
2006 - 4 titles
2007 - 4 titles
2008 - 4 titles
2009 - 4 titles
2010 - 3 titles ( losing 1 to lebron )
2011 - 1 title ( losing 1 to lebron )
2012 - 2 titles ( losing 2 to lebron )
2013 - 3 titles ( losing 1 to lebron )
2014 - 0 titles ( DNP )
2015 - 0 titles ( DNP )
2016 - 0 titles ( DNP )

bigkingsfan
04-15-2019, 10:16 PM
Golf isn't one on one, it's like 1 VS 50 (people with a shot at winning) at the same time.

red1
04-15-2019, 10:30 PM
says the guy with zero accomplishments in his life.

fukk outta here fakkit.

SpaceJam2
04-15-2019, 10:36 PM

fukk outta here fakkit.

:roll: :roll: :roll:

scuzzy
04-15-2019, 10:40 PM

fukk outta here fakkit.
:roll: :roll:

imdaman99
04-15-2019, 10:49 PM

fukk outta here fakkit.
:roll:

so typical of kenny, dude is so quick to criticize someone else's impressive achievement as he hides away in the basement trolling an internet message board.

red1
04-15-2019, 11:00 PM

so typical of kenny, dude is so quick to criticize someone else's impressive achievement as he hides away in the basement trolling an internet message board.
he's pathetic.

a sad soul encased in a sorry human being.

kennethgriffen
04-15-2019, 11:10 PM

fukk outta here fakkit.

whats an accomplishment to the every day man like us?

creating life/having an offspring? check

owning a car? check, check, check

having your own place? check, check, check, check, check

keeping a job for a long time? check, check ( retired by choice )

selling artwork? check x100+

winning golf tournaments? check

winning basketball tournaments? check, check, check, check

winning baseball tournaments? check

graduating highschool? check

getting a degree? check

having sex with females? check x100+

learned how to play an instrument? check, check, check

produced popular videos viewed by 10's of thousand of people? check

dunno what else there is to do honestly. i've owned everything i've ever wanted. done everything i've ever wanted etc...

dude77
04-15-2019, 11:11 PM
I don't know .. golf seems pretty fkn hard .. having to put that little ball as close as possible to that little hole hundreds of yds away and doing it over and over and actually winning all those tournaments

scuzzy
04-15-2019, 11:18 PM
I don't know .. golf seems pretty fkn hard .. having to put that little ball as close as possible to that little hole hundreds of yds away and doing it over and over and actually winning all those tournaments
It's incredibly hard, that's why almost all pro athletes worldwide collectively play golf in their spare time

It's one of the most mentally challenging individual sports and extremely hard to be consistently the best at.

The highs and lows from it are a rush

kennethgriffen
04-15-2019, 11:27 PM

i'm pretty good at golf. its really not a hard sport. its way harder to become a great basketball/baseball player.

i was good at all 3 so i would know. with golf its all about repetition and distance. you just know wherever you're standing what club you need. like you can just eyeball it. i could put a ball on the green with a 9 iron on a par 3 every single time

and you only need 4 clubs... a 9, a putter, a driver and a 3 iron.

the trick to a great swing is to line the club behind the ball and lay the handle on the inside of your left hip ( if you're shooting right ) the shaft should be straight and the head right behind the ball.

then just grab the club from that position. never break your elbows and shift your weight while making contact

to practice your swing you don't even need a ball. just stand in your backyard swinging at the same spot over and over so that the club just grazes the grass. once you can do that without ****ing up your lawn you're good to go

never bring the club back far enough so you can see it in the corner of your eye either. you don't even need a big back swing. the club does most of the work. swinging hard only ****s you over and the ball won't even go more than 10 feet farther

red1
04-15-2019, 11:28 PM

getting a degree? check

dunno what else there is to do honestly. i've owned everything i've ever wanted. done everything i've ever wanted etc...
good for you. now go win a masters the way tiger just did and come back and tell us how easy it was.

kennethgriffen
04-15-2019, 11:32 PM
good for you. now go win a masters the way tiger just did and come back and tell us how easy it was.

i didn't say it was easy. i said it was no more impressive than lebron winning 3 out of 9 finals with free trips out of the pathetic east

obviously i can't win the masters. but if i was one of the best golfers i would just expect to win it one out of 25 ****ing tries

Kblaze8855
04-16-2019, 05:27 AM
when you really think about it. what do you need to do in order to make the cut for the nba finals of golf ( which there are 4 of them every year )

just be a professional golfer

theres no regular season

theres no tournament/playoff to see who gets to go. you just swipe your pga card at the door and hope you play well for 4 days

The masters allows 100 people to play. There are like 10 thousand pro golfers.

There is a system. Im not gonna act like I know exactly what it is...but if you had 10 million on the line I think more than 100 people would enter if all they had to do was be a pro golfer.

Most pro golfers cant even hold onto their tour card. You have to keep a high ass ranking.

Now...people like Tiger would get in even if they sucked for years because of a sponsor request. At some events at least. Not sure about the masters. Hed get into that anyway as a past winner though.

There are rules. You dont just....be a pro golfer and walk into a 10 million dollar tournament.

Kblaze8855
04-16-2019, 05:33 AM
Checked....I was way off. There are almost 30 thousand PGA golfers. To play in the masters you have to fall into one of these lists:

Masters Tournament Champions (Lifetime)
US Open Champions (Honorary, non-competing after 5 years)
British Open Champions (Honorary, non-competing after 5 years)
PGA Champions (Honorary, non-competing after 5 years)
Winners of The Players Championship (Three years)
Current Olympic Gold Medalist (One year)
Current US Amateur Champion (Honorary, non-competing after 1 year) and the runner-up to the current US Amateur Champion
Current British Amateur Champion (Honorary, non-competing after 1 year)
Current Asia-Pacific Amateur Champion
Current Latin America Amateur Champion
Current US Mid-Amateur Champion
The first 12 players, including ties, in the previous year's Masters Tournament
The first 4 players, including ties, in the previous year's US Open Championship
The first 4 players, including ties, in the previous year's British Open Championship
The first 4 players, including ties, in the previous year's PGA Championship
Winners of PGA Tour events that award a full-point allocation for the season-ending Tour Championship, from previous Masters to current Masters
Those qualifying for the previous year's season-ending Tour Championship
The 50 leaders on the Final Official World Golf Ranking for the previous calendar year
The 50 leaders on the Official World Golf Ranking published during the week prior to the current Masters Tournament

And obviously theres a lot of overlap which keeps the list short.

You can be a major tournament winner and not make it if it wasnt recent.

Guys you have heard of fall into the 4-5 hundreds. Ernie Els used to be a big name. Hes like #450 right now. Vijay Singh is #481. They have rankingso n their site well into the 2000s.

The big name guys usually have wins in the past to keep them eligible plus just being famous names sponsors will want them at events but....just some guy?

Some guy ranked #600 who didnt win something to earn an invite? You cant just...go to the masters.

iamgine
04-16-2019, 05:42 AM
Well it might not be as great as painting Monalisa or something but why wouldn't it be a pretty great accomplishment?

kennethgriffen
04-16-2019, 06:00 AM
The masters allows 100 people to play. There are like 10 thousand pro golfers.

There is a system. Im not gonna act like I know exactly what it is...but if you had 10 million on the line I think more than 100 people would enter if all they had to do was be a pro golfer.

Most pro golfers cant even hold onto their tour card. You have to keep a high ass ranking.

Now...people like Tiger would get in even if they sucked for years because of a sponsor request. At some events at least. Not sure about the masters. Hed get into that anyway as a past winner though.

There are rules. You dont just....be a pro golfer and walk into a 10 million dollar tournament.

some guys have to make the cut, win lesser tournaments etc... but guys like tiger get free invitations. he can take a year off and show up

its a total farce like some ufc brock lesnar title fight. its all about ratings

golf is wwe type nonsense when it comes to who they allow into major tournaments

realistically tiger shouldn't even have been able to compete. he hasn't done enough overall to earn that kind of a chance. and all he had to do was play great for 4 days to claim golfs biggest prize

Kblaze8855
04-16-2019, 06:08 AM
Tiger won the masters before...so he gets in for life. All the old guys do. They never win though. Jack and Arnold Palmer were still showing up in the 2000s. And some people just make honorary appearances where they are allowed to play but arent counted in the leaders. So you see them play....but they cant actually win.

A lot less people than you assume can actually go play and win the masters.

I think(again...think...) most pro golfers just instruct others and work at courses ****ing around. They know they cant get into enough events to get a ranking high enough to make a major. You need to be a guy like Tony Romo to get a sponsor invite....or actually go win or nearly win a lot. You at least gotta compete. There are 25000+ guys who never get anywhere close.

kennethgriffen
04-16-2019, 07:04 AM
Tiger won the masters before...so he gets in for life. All the old guys do. They never win though. Jack and Arnold Palmer were still showing up in the 2000s. And some people just make honorary appearances where they are allowed to play but arent counted in the leaders. So you see them play....but they cant actually win.

A lot less people than you assume can actually go play and win the masters.

I think(again...think...) most pro golfers just instruct others and work at courses ****ing around. They know they cant get into enough events to get a ranking high enough to make a major. You need to be a guy like Tony Romo to get a sponsor invite....or actually go win or nearly win a lot. You at least gotta compete. There are 25000+ guys who never get anywhere close.

could you imagine this criteria existing in any real sport

like MJ/kobe can come back tomorrow and compete in the finals ( thats basically what a major tournament is. 4 good days of golf = 4 good games in the nba finals )

:lol

Bimbo Coles
04-16-2019, 09:18 AM
"Golf is a good walk ruined"

Wally450
04-16-2019, 09:51 AM
Just be a professional golfer...

This is how you can tell Kenny has never worked for anything in his life.

Honestly, winning a major poker tournament isn't really a great accomplishment either. All you have to do is be a professional poker player and you're good.

egokiller
04-16-2019, 11:41 AM
No one gives a **** about 15 masters just like no one gives a **** if you aren’t 6/6 with 6 FMVPs. When Tiger wins his 18th, then we can talk. Until then, he’s just another example of someone who isn’t from a previous generation that remains GOAT.

“The guy from my gen is well on his way to becoming GOAT!”

Cool, let me know when it happens. Until then you have to settle for viewing “2nd best” and bitch all day about what it might have been like to see an actual GOAT play.

“I didn’t see Gretzky play but currently....”

Nope....stfu.

“I didn’t see Ali box, but let me tell you who is....”

No one cares.

“MJ might have 6, but lebron is already half way to him...”

Cool story...don’t care.

:applause:

Real men accept things for what they are instead of wishing for something to be that is not.

Kblaze8855
04-16-2019, 12:14 PM
So....only one person per sport should even be cared about?

You actually think nobody does or should give a **** about anyone in a sport who isn

egokiller
04-16-2019, 12:21 PM
[QUOTE=Kblaze8855]So....only one person per sport should even be cared about?

You actually think nobody does or should give a **** about anyone in a sport who isn

kennethgriffen
04-16-2019, 01:34 PM
Just be a professional golfer...

This is how you can tell Kenny has never worked for anything in his life.

Honestly, winning a major poker tournament isn't really a great accomplishment either. All you have to do is be a professional poker player and you're good.

thats actually a good comparison. most people have to pay to get it. the stars they know will draw ratings get in for free. a good week of luck and you're champion... only difference is the world series of poker is just once a year instead of 4 times a year like that joke of a sport golf

johnny moss has 3
johnny chan has 2
doyle brunson has 2
phil hellmuth has 1

times those by 4 and you have about the same number of major championships as the top 4 in golf history

iamgine
04-16-2019, 02:26 PM
[QUOTE=egokiller]No one gives a **** about 15 masters just like no one gives a **** if you aren

The Iron Fist
04-16-2019, 04:16 PM

getting a degree? check

Liar. You still havent sucked Kobes cok or had his son.

AirBonner
04-16-2019, 05:53 PM
And being a dead beat dad is? Tiger is bigger than golf itself. MJ was never bigger than the nba

The Iron Fist
04-16-2019, 06:21 PM
And being a dead beat dad is? Tiger is bigger than golf itself. MJ was never bigger than the nba
:roll: the lies you guys tell yourself. Im not even a Jordan stan but there were 3 Michaels in the 80s and 90s that ruled the world. Jackson, Tyson and Jordan. Single player branding is because of Jordan. The sport grew worldwide because of him being such a dominant player.

kennethgriffen
04-16-2019, 06:43 PM

being the biggest golf star isn't hard when theres no other golf stars other than rory mcilroy

the nba has infinitely more household names

Levity
04-16-2019, 06:46 PM
it only took you til your mid 30s to become a bitter old man :applause:

egokiller
04-16-2019, 09:06 PM

MJ was the nba. Wtf are you talking about.
When MJ left the first time, millions stopped watching.

AirBonner
04-16-2019, 09:33 PM
MJ was the nba. Wtf are you talking about.
When MJ left the first time, millions stopped watching.
When Tiger wasn

egokiller
04-16-2019, 09:44 PM
[QUOTE=AirBonner]When Tiger wasn

AlternativeAcc.
04-16-2019, 09:56 PM
It's incredibly hard, that's why almost all pro athletes worldwide collectively play golf in their spare time

It's one of the most mentally challenging individual sports and extremely hard to be consistently the best at.

The highs and lows from it are a rush
+1

I've played pretty much every sport there is to play. Golf is the hardest because like you said being consistent in golf is incredibly challenging.

Tiger is one of the most mentally tough athletes to ever grace the planet. Dude is hardcore. Blew out his knees training to be a navy seal. :lol

MrFonzworth
04-16-2019, 10:25 PM
+1

I've played pretty much every sport there is to play. Golf is the hardest because like you said being consistent in golf is incredibly challenging.

Tiger is one of the most mentally tough athletes to ever grace the planet. Dude is hardcore. Blew out his knees training to be a navy seal. :lol
You havent played any sport fatass

aj1987
04-17-2019, 06:19 AM
If Tiger was white, OP would be sucking his dick right now.

Jasper
04-17-2019, 09:31 AM
OP doesn't under stand about golf Professional Tour.

First you have to qualify to be on tour , then qualify to get into certain championships.
Masters for example , means you need to have won one of the required tournaments last year as well as if you had won a Masters YOU ARE INVITED.

My step dad was a scratch golfer throughout his golf career and won 2 club championships.... he was not a pro.
Last December I played against a scratch golfer, they are lights out 100% better than me and average golfers.

To make the Pro Tour , you are cutting hairs.
They are cream of the cream.
Last week 8 golfers at the top could of won the tournament , and after 72 holes and 100 players the FINAL HOLE by one stroke was the difference.

I feel the Masters have the BEST challenge , but the other Major I think is getting so tough the pro golfers are starting to think the golf course and PGA committee is making the US OPEN to tough to make it a competition like the masters.
I asked my young club Pro if he ever considered playing on tour, IE - he can qualify to play in the US OPEN , and he stated flatly NO WAY.
That means he is better than a scratch golfer, and he couldn't even compete against the Tour players...

AS I SAID THESE PLAYERS are cutting hairs from player ranked 1-150.
That's what made Tigers win so special.

The Tour Pro's will see Tiger win again , cause for the first time in his career , he is shaping his Driver the way he wants , and that makes him VERY DANGEROUS.

tpols
04-17-2019, 10:18 AM
I didn't know much about golf but reading the process winning a masters seems Damn near impossible. And its pure skill can't just throw people out of the way with your size and put the ball in the hole.

ShawkFactory
04-17-2019, 06:48 PM
Something like 7 of the past 12 Masters winners have never won a major before.

Dudes like Trevor Immelman, Patrick Reid, Charles Schwartzel, Danny willet, Adam Scott, etc.

You CAN get lucky and win it. But winning it 5 times? There

kennethgriffen
04-17-2019, 07:00 PM
OP doesn't under stand about golf Professional Tour.

First you have to qualify to be on tour , then qualify to get into certain championships.
Masters for example , means you need to have won one of the required tournaments last year as well as if you had won a Masters YOU ARE INVITED.

My step dad was a scratch golfer throughout his golf career and won 2 club championships.... he was not a pro.
Last December I played against a scratch golfer, they are lights out 100% better than me and average golfers.

To make the Pro Tour , you are cutting hairs.
They are cream of the cream.
Last week 8 golfers at the top could of won the tournament , and after 72 holes and 100 players the FINAL HOLE by one stroke was the difference.

I feel the Masters have the BEST challenge , but the other Major I think is getting so tough the pro golfers are starting to think the golf course and PGA committee is making the US OPEN to tough to make it a competition like the masters.
I asked my young club Pro if he ever considered playing on tour, IE - he can qualify to play in the US OPEN , and he stated flatly NO WAY.
That means he is better than a scratch golfer, and he couldn't even compete against the Tour players...

AS I SAID THESE PLAYERS are cutting hairs from player ranked 1-150.
That's what made Tigers win so special.

The Tour Pro's will see Tiger win again , cause for the first time in his career , he is shaping his Driver the way he wants , and that makes him VERY DANGEROUS.

what do you mean i don't understand. i totally understand and know everything about how guys like tiger get in. he has a free pass. thats what i said. i wasn't mistaken.

i said it would be like kobe/mj coming back and playing in the finals because they won a title. it makes no sense

golf is retarded. and i'm really good at golf so i can make that statement

kennethgriffen
04-17-2019, 07:07 PM
[QUOTE=ShawkFactory]Something like 7 of the past 12 Masters winners have never won a major before.

Dudes like Trevor Immelman, Patrick Reid, Charles Schwartzel, Danny willet, Adam Scott, etc.

You CAN get lucky and win it. But winning it 5 times? There

AlternativeAcc.
04-17-2019, 10:08 PM
theres a lot of luck AND a lot of skill that goes into winning the masters

but the more chances you get the better your odds are

if you're invited every year and don't need to make a cut then winning it again is just an inevitability if you're one of the top golfers. which tiger has been for most of his career

obviously its not just because tiger was invited without having to prove himself. he still has to be really good. but if you know you're gonna get a free pass every year theres way less pressure. you know "theres always next year. i can take 2 years off and get healthier"

regular golfers can't do that. if they do they end up selling golf clubs at the local mall
Tiger DOES have to make the cut though you imbecile. and you didn't even have a point to begin with

Just admit you made a horrendous take and move on

kennethgriffen
04-18-2019, 01:48 AM
Tiger DOES have to make the cut though you imbecile. and you didn't even have a point to begin with

Just admit you made a horrendous take and move on

wrong

jack nicklaus played in the masters in 2000,2001,2002,2003,2004 and 2005

he wasnt even on the pga tour at the time f*ck face

ShawkFactory
04-18-2019, 05:37 AM
wrong

jack nicklaus played in the masters in 2000,2001,2002,2003,2004 and 2005

he wasnt even on the pga tour at the time f*ck face
Do you not know what making the cut means?

Just playing in the masters is not it.

You have to have a score good enough after the first 2 rounds to advance.

kennethgriffen
04-18-2019, 06:03 AM
Do you not know what making the cut means?

Just playing in the masters is not it.

You have to have a score good enough after the first 2 rounds to advance.

making the cut just means you advance in the masters

the cut is for the prize money doofus

AlternativeAcc.
04-18-2019, 02:27 PM
if you're invited every year and don't need to make a cut then winning it again is just an inevitability if you're one of the top golfers. which tiger has been for most of his career
Arguably the stupidest and most uninformed statements in the history of ISH.

Kenny has autism.

aj1987
04-18-2019, 07:44 PM
OP's greatest accomplishment is sucking ****.

But but winning a major championship in golf isn't a great accomplishment doe!!

****ing retard. Go play on a freeway.

egokiller
04-18-2019, 08:03 PM
OP's greatest accomplishment is sucking ****.

But but winning a major championship in golf isn't a great accomplishment doe!!

****ing retard. Go play on a freeway.

AJ you crazy bastard ya I was just in your neck of the woods a few weeks ago and my coworker recommended we eat at this place called Chatni as I had just flown into EWR and had a meeting right in Montclair. He took me there and the food was damn good. Nice cozy atmosphere too.

aj1987
04-18-2019, 08:07 PM
AJ you crazy bastard ya I was just in your neck of the woods a few weeks ago and my coworker recommended we eat at this place called Chatni as I had just flown into EWR and had a meeting right in Montclair. He took me there and the food was damn good. Nice cozy atmosphere too.
I really don't think you're impressing anyone with your Google Maps skills, janitor. My 6 year old nephew can do it.

If you actually are ever there though, hit me. I'll buy you a good single malt.

egokiller
04-18-2019, 08:28 PM
I really don't think you're impressing anyone with your Google Maps skills, janitor. My 6 year old nephew can do it.

If you actually are ever there though, hit me. I'll buy you a good single malt.

Google maps? People still use that? Anyways, wtf is up with the Marriott right near the airport? Place is damn near impossible to get to. I don't know what civil engineer you had working on that AJ but there was some major ****ery going on when those roadways were built. Passed the damn place up 3 times before I finally pulled in the parking lot. The one time when I need your cab driving skills put to good use and you were no where to be found.

Guy behind the hotel counter after asking him why the place is so hard to get to: "yep, we get that all the time" :oldlol:

ShawkFactory
04-18-2019, 10:08 PM
making the cut just means you advance in the masters

the cut is for the prize money doofus
Yea....I know what making the cut is.

You didnt seem to, what with stating that Tiger didn

kennethgriffen
04-19-2019, 02:55 AM
[QUOTE=ShawkFactory]Yea....I know what making the cut is.

You didnt seem to, what with stating that Tiger didn

aj1987
05-05-2019, 04:30 PM
Google maps? People still use that? Anyways, wtf is up with the Marriott right near the airport? Place is damn near impossible to get to. I don't know what civil engineer you had working on that AJ but there was some major ****ery going on when those roadways were built. Passed the damn place up 3 times before I finally pulled in the parking lot. The one time when I need your cab driving skills put to good use and you were no where to be found.

Guy behind the hotel counter after asking him why the place is so hard to get to: "yep, we get that all the time" :oldlol:
You are one pathetic piece of shit, janitor.

egokiller
05-05-2019, 04:37 PM
You are one pathetic piece of shit, janitor.

If I

aj1987
05-05-2019, 04:48 PM
[QUOTE=egokiller]If I

egokiller
05-05-2019, 06:27 PM
As I said, you are on pathetic piece of shit, Janitor.

Now log onto your alts and go spam the NBA board.

I'm on a pathetic piece of shit? No, I'm definitely not on you. Better check again there cabbie Patel. Now go do what you do best and stan that 3/9 loser as only you can do.

stalkerforlife
05-05-2019, 06:34 PM

Got. His. Ass.

aj1987
05-08-2019, 01:52 AM
I'm on a pathetic piece of shit? No, I'm definitely not on you. Better check again there cabbie Patel. Now go do what you do best and stan that 3/9 loser as only you can do.
Are you upset, you inbred janitor? Get some help and then jump off a cliff. :cheers: