PDA

View Full Version : Why Finals MVP? Why not Playoffs MVP?

elementally morale
04-16-2019, 08:35 PM
There is an MVP for the regular season. Why isn't there one for the whole Playoffs?

You'd be more likely to win MVP if you get further in the Playoffs (e.g.: reach the Finals) but why restrict it to the final 4-7 games only? Conference finals or 2nd round performance is just as important (well, kinda).

Any ideas?

SouBeachTalents
04-16-2019, 08:38 PM
I always thought that was dumb too. It should absolutely be playoff MVP

LoneyROY7
04-16-2019, 08:38 PM
Because FMVP isn't supposed to be about the whole playoffs.

It's about who played the best in quite literally the most important games of a season.

elementally morale
04-16-2019, 08:40 PM
Because FMVP isn't supposed to be about the whole playoffs.

It's about who played the best in quite literally the most important games of a season.

Last year the WCF was more important than the actual Finals. You being a Rockets fan would know that.

Also, based on the playoffs, LeBron was the best performer.

LoneyROY7
04-16-2019, 08:43 PM
Last year the WCF was more important than the actual Finals.

Also, based on the playoffs, LeBron was the best performer.

No, it LITERALLY was not.

If the Rockets had defeated the Warriors in 7, they wouldn't have been awarded the Larry O'Brien trophy. They still would have had to defeat another opponent 4 times.

Bronbron23
04-16-2019, 08:45 PM
There is an MVP for the regular season. Why isn't there one for the whole Playoffs?

You'd be more likely to win MVP if you get further in the Playoffs (e.g.: reach the Finals) but why restrict it to the final 4-7 games only? Conference finals or 2nd round performance is just as important (well, kinda).

Any ideas?
Good question. I think at the end of the day the finals would be looked at as the most important factor so either way it would all come down to the finals anyway

elementally morale
04-16-2019, 08:46 PM
No, it LITERALLY was not.

If the Rockets had defeated the Warriors in 7, they wouldn't have been awarded the Larry O'Brien trophy. They still would have had to defeat another opponent 4 times.

:facepalm

JohnMax
04-16-2019, 08:47 PM
because they'd just give it to best stat padder every year

elementally morale
04-16-2019, 08:48 PM
Good question. I think at the end of the day the finals would be looked at as the most important factor so either way it would all come down to the finals anyway

Well, I can't be accused of being a fan of LeBron but I sure would've given playoffs MVP to him last year. Also, Finals MVP Andre Iguodala? There are more examples.

LoneyROY7
04-16-2019, 08:49 PM
You don't get it. :oldlol:

MrFonzworth
04-16-2019, 08:50 PM
Why not both

SouBeachTalents
04-16-2019, 08:54 PM
Well, I can't be accused of being a fan of LeBron but I sure would've given playoffs MVP to him last year. Also, Finals MVP Andre Iguodala? There are more examples.
Some of the selections would be really tough. Who the fck would get it in years like 2004 & 2014? Would Kobe win in '08 & LeBron in '15 even though they didn't win the title?

Bronbron23
04-16-2019, 09:12 PM
Thing is Iggy deserved the fmvp that year. His defence had more impact on the game than the extra 8 points a game on mediocre efficientcy from Steph. Fans get blinded by the ridiculous threes Steph hits but he really wasn't great that series. I hear what your saying though

elementally morale
04-16-2019, 09:17 PM
Thing is Iggy deserved the fmvp that year. His defence had more impact on the game than the extra 8 points a game on mediocre efficientcy from Steph. Fans get blinded by the ridiculous threes Steph hits but he really wasn't great that series. I hear what your saying though

That's what I'm saying. The Finals was debatable. Playoffs though... pretty clear it was Curry. Last year.. Finals? Debatable but Durant was a fine choice. Playoffs? It was LeBron.

I just don't like the idea of giving an MVP award for possibly 4 games only.

TheCorporation
04-16-2019, 09:21 PM
because they'd just give it to best stat padder every year

I hope you're smart enough to realize the playoff MVP would still go to a player that was on the team that won a championship...

I hope.

TheCorporation
04-16-2019, 09:22 PM
You don't get it. :oldlol:

+1

EleMENTAL doesnt get much :lol

bigkingsfan
04-16-2019, 09:26 PM
4-7 is actually a nice sample size. The NFL gives it out for one game.

Mr.GOAT2408
04-16-2019, 09:28 PM
That's what the ABA used to have, it makes sense but so does having just a finals MVP. Just the mysticism of dominating in the biggest stage

MLB has something like this with an AL/NL series MVP and the World Series MVP. I like the concept but I doubt the league will consider it

Bronbron23
04-16-2019, 09:48 PM
That's what I'm saying. The Finals was debatable. Playoffs though... pretty clear it was Curry. Last year.. Finals? Debatable but Durant was a fine choice. Playoffs? It was LeBron.

Yeah it's a good argument for sure

MrFonzworth
04-16-2019, 10:05 PM
+1

EleMENTAL doesnt get much :lol
:roll::roll::roll:

SpaceJam2
04-16-2019, 11:03 PM
+1

eleMENTAL doesnt get much :lol

:roll: :roll: :roll:

FKAri
04-16-2019, 11:12 PM

They don't to want to give the award to someone who isn't in the finals. The NBA upper brass since the late 70's has been trying their best to reward winners rather than glory ballers. It was a real problem at that time. It's also why Magic/Bird are said to have saved the league. It wasn't just about ratings. It was about what they represented as players (team ball).

Thus everything is skewed wildly in the direction of W's. The MVP award, FMVP, everything. All except ROTY. Because once players start glory hunting or working on their image/brand over winning this whole sports competition money making machine falls apart pretty fast.

elementally morale
04-16-2019, 11:18 PM
Thus everything is skewed wildly in the direction of W's. The MVP award, FMVP, everything. All except ROTY. Because once players start glory hunting or working on their image/brand over winning this whole sports competition money making machine falls apart pretty fast.

It's a good point. As for me, I don't value 'winning it all' that much. I just enjoy the game. Enjoy watching the story unfold. But I agree: if most fans were like me there wouldn't be a league at all.

ClipperRevival
04-17-2019, 02:07 AM
It's too general and not fair. Say a superstar makes it to a conference finals and puts up by far the most impressive stats. Do you give it to him? Hell no. It has to go to the star who was "the man" on the champioonship winning team for the most part.

I actually think the other way. I think there should be an mvp for every playoff series.

iamgine
04-17-2019, 02:26 AM

Any ideas?
Playoff MVP is fine but Finals MVP seems to be better in terms of entertainment.