PDA

View Full Version : Would the Warriors be any worse with Prime Nash instead of Curry?

eliteballer
04-17-2019, 06:36 PM
Would Nash be an even better fit next to Durant?

Nash would thrive even more in todays league than he did then...true or false?

Kblaze8855
04-17-2019, 06:38 PM
Nash would thrive even more but that wouldnt make the Warriors better. They could win the title with either so im not sure the difference would be noteworthy.

I wonder if a coach could convince Nash to actually try to score these days. Some people just arent built that way.

You know he had 25-28 a game talent even if he didnt use it.

305Baller
04-17-2019, 06:38 PM
Hmmm... thats an interesting question.

Nash's 3 point percentage would have to factor into any debate

eliteballer
04-17-2019, 06:40 PM
Nash would thrive even more but that wouldnt make the Warriors better. They could win the title with either so im not sure the difference would be noteworthy.

I wonder if a coach could convince Nash to actually try to score these days. Some people just arent built that way.

Nash turned up his scoring a bit in the playoffs:

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/n/nashst01.html

RRR3

That always bothered me with CP3. There was no reason for CP3 not to be scoring 25 PPG if you ask me.

3ball
Nash's stats would be insane in today's game, but he was a ball-dominator like harden or Westbrook

So if he played like that, the Warriors wouldn't be as good

however, he has catch-and-shoot ability like Curry, so he could succeed with the Warriors by simply adjusting his game

eliteballer
04-17-2019, 06:42 PM
That always bothered me with CP3. There was no reason for CP3 not to be scoring 25 PPG if you ask me.

Yeah there is...he's a point guard. His job is to be the engine and make the TEAM score.

PG looking out for his own offense(short of the team having a lot of talent like Curry who plays more like a shooting guard) isn't good for the team.

305Baller
04-17-2019, 06:42 PM
from 2004 to 2010 Nash has a case.

according to the numbers.

305Baller
04-17-2019, 06:43 PM
lucky 7s

Wildcard.

Endgame.

HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHHHAH

FKAri
04-17-2019, 06:45 PM
Curry's much better at creating for himself on the perimeter. Though Nash might've been more deadly once in the paint. I would think Curry's a bit better finisher but Nash could really manipulate a defense once in there. Overall the Warriors would be worse despite Nash being the better passer. Curry's scoring is much better.

eliteballer
04-17-2019, 06:45 PM
Nash's stats would be insane in today's game, but he was a ball-dominator like harden or Westbrook

So if he played like that, the Warriors wouldn't be as good

however, he has catch-and-shoot ability like Curry, so he could succeed with the Warriors by simply adjusting his game

When you put it that way...Nash might also be better for Klay who doesn't get many opportunities since Durant joined.

3ball
04-17-2019, 06:50 PM
Draymond becomes a spot-up shooter if Nash plays his normal style

Otoh, Draymond is currently a playmaker because Curry is a spot-up shooter... Curry's style allows teammates like Dray and Durant to play to full capacity as part-time ball-handlers

So while curry doesn't actively get teammates shots as much as Nash, his style allows for more sophisticated and diverse offense, and a better team overall

Nash does have the capacity to adjust and play more like curry though. I don't think we'd see much drop-off with Nash vs curry

hold this L
04-17-2019, 06:58 PM
Draymond becomes a spot-up shooter if Nash plays his normal style

Otoh, Draymond is currently a playmaker because Curry is a spot-up shooter... Curry's style allows teammates like Dray and Durant to play to full capacity as part-time ball-handlers

So while curry doesn't actively get teammates shots as much as Nash, his style allows for more sophisticated and diverse offense, and a better team overall

Nash does have the capacity to adjust and play more like curry though. I don't think we'd see much drop-off with Nash vs curry
God you are a ****ing moron.

SpaceJam2
04-17-2019, 06:59 PM

:roll: :roll:

3ball
04-17-2019, 07:01 PM
He isn't just a spot up shooter dumbass

But it's a big part of his game

However, I wouldn't expect you to see thru the obvious lines there

SpaceJam2
04-17-2019, 07:03 PM
Well let's be honest the current Warriors are very stacked and there are a handful of players you can put in Curry's place and they would still do well...

LeCola
04-17-2019, 07:06 PM
No, probably it would be worse. It would end their sytem and turn to pace/isolation based basketball...

bizil
04-17-2019, 07:08 PM

Exactly right! Nash is a pass first PG by heart. But was underrated for his ability to takeover a game scoring. Steph is a score first PG and is a former scoring champ. With the way that the GS offense is setup, Steph plays off the ball a lot. Plugging Nash into the spot in place of Steph would change the offense FOR SURE! Not sure if Nash could flip the switch and be more of a score first PG.

But FOR SURE guys like Magic, Isiah, and Nash COULD have averaged 25-28 PPG! But they were the ultimate floor generals/quarterbacks. And played to DOMINATE in that realm first. GSW would still win rings with Nash there. BUT to get the most out of Steve, they would have to invert the offense some. And let Nash play more with the ball in his hands and conducting the show. GSW would still be a championship team with Nash. But likely not as dominant.

3ball
04-17-2019, 07:09 PM
Well let's be honest the current Warriors are very stacked and there are a handful of players you can put in Curry's place and they would still do well...
Time of possession:

Curry - 4.8 minutes
Lillard - 7.7 minutes

Curry's low time allows kd and draymond to be part-time ball-handlers so the offense has the best sophistication, diversity, and effectiveness on the championship level

Nash plays more like Lillard and would turn Dray/Durant into spot-up shooters - the offense would be more basic/solvable

LostCause
04-17-2019, 07:30 PM
They’d be worse

Curry is a far scarier offensive threat (His gravity has been compared to that of Shaw) and he’s also adequate defensively. Nash is a turnstile on that end of the floor

warriorfan
04-17-2019, 07:41 PM
[QUOTE=LostCause]They

tontoz
04-17-2019, 08:03 PM
With Durant they would still with titles with Nash. But i don't think they would have won a title before Durant got there with Nash. I don't think they win 73 games either.

Curry's scoring ability and range are on a completely different level from Nash. He is a bigger threat with or without the ball.

Stephonit
04-17-2019, 11:44 PM
KD is often compared with Dirk. Nash with KD might look something like the Mavericks. Although I guess that was before Nash was given the opportunity to showcase himself on the Suns.

Prometheus
04-18-2019, 12:33 AM
Nash would be unbelievable in today's game. He might win even more than two MVPs if he had been born ten years later.

I don't really think he would fit with Draymond as well though. The Warriors would be a little worse with Nash in Curry's place... but maybe most other teams would prefer the Canadian.

Mr.GOAT2408
04-18-2019, 01:51 AM
Yeah Nash would have been putting up insane numbers today, his 2005 postseason is pretty close to what I imagine him putting up in today's game, or at least the closest to what we know he's capable of

Thing is while offensively he could put up Curry numbers (maybe even exceed them?) he still needed the ball. Curry definitely benefits from wide open looks generated by the excellent (perhaps too excellent) screens his teammates set but his greatest value comes from his off-ball genius, he might be the best off-ball player since MJ.

If Nash could adjust then they would be roughly the same but I don't know if he would adjust like that. The mass amount of ball movement is a big part of what makes Golden State so lethal, there's a reason Curry isn't averaging like 23/9 like he used to. It's not the best way to operate this system

hold this L
04-18-2019, 02:09 AM
Yeah Nash would have been putting up insane numbers today, his 2005 postseason is pretty close to what I imagine him putting up in today's game, or at least the closest to what we know he's capable of

Thing is while offensively he could put up Curry numbers (maybe even exceed them?) he still needed the ball. Curry definitely benefits from wide open looks generated by the excellent (perhaps too excellent) screens his teammates set but his greatest value comes from his off-ball genius, he might be the best off-ball player since MJ.

If Nash could adjust then they would be roughly the same but I don't know if he would adjust like that. The mass amount of ball movement is a big part of what makes Golden State so lethal, there's a reason Curry isn't averaging like 23/9 like he used to. It's not the best way to operate this system
In what planet would Nash adjust? I love this pseudo-intellectual nonsense of players magically improving certain aspects of their game and them just being better in this era. This gets repeated both here and at that other website like it's some sort of certainty. Or that they would have the stats and the impact. There's a bunch of players right now that have the stats but nowhere near the impact that a very select few (about 5 right now) actually posses.

You want to know some fun stats? Curry with zero all stars still has the same numbers that he does with them, roughly the same +/- on the team, roughly the same 2%, 3%, TS%. And when he is off, the team with Klay, Dray and KD put together have nowhere near the same impact that Curry does with scrubs. It's unbelievable the amount of nonsense that people constantly talk about this dude. I guess Kevon Looney and Bell are the greatest screen setters in the league, if only the rest of the league would able to get late 2nd round picks to create this magical screens that seem to work so well with the Warriors.

If Curry was playing over Nash back then, he would have titles then as well. It's insulting to compare the 2nd best PG of all time to a top 10 PG and think they are anywhere near the same level. Nash is one of the goat playmaker and a superstar. That's it. Curry is one of the best players of all time. There is no replicating or Nash magically shooting 40 foot 3 point shots, getting doubled at half and being the best off the ball player arguably of all time. People don't just magically acquire these attributes. This isn't 2K.

eliteballer
04-18-2019, 02:11 AM
In what planet would Nash adjust? I love this pseudo-intellectual nonsense of players magically improving certain aspects of their game and them just being better in this era. This gets repeated both here and at that other website like it's some sort of certainty. Or that they would have the stats and the impact. There's a bunch of players right now that have the stats but nowhere near the impact that a very select few (about 5 right now) actually posses.

You want to know some fun stats? Curry with zero all stars still has the same numbers that he does with them, roughly the same +/- on the team, roughly the same 2%, 3%, TS%. And when he is off, the team with Klay, Dray and KD put together have nowhere near the same impact that Curry does with scrubs. It's unbelievable the amount of nonsense that people constantly talk about this dude. I guess Kevon Looney and Bell are the greatest screen setters in the league, if only the rest of the league would able to get late 2nd round picks to create this magical screens that seem to work so well with the Warriors.

If Curry was playing over Nash back then, he would have titles then as well. It's insulting to compare the 2nd best PG of all time to a top 10 PG and think they are anywhere near the same level. Nash is one of the goat playmaker and a superstar. That's it. Curry is one of the best players of all time. There is no replicating or Nash magically shooting 40 foot 3 point shots, getting doubled at half and being the best off the ball player arguably of all time. People don't just magically acquire these attributes. This isn't 2K.

Uh because you literally can't play defense on anyone...Harden and Westbrook putting up 2K numbers the last few years..

hold this L
04-18-2019, 02:30 AM
Uh because you literally can't play defense on anyone...Harden and Westbrook putting up 2K numbers the last few years..
Tell me what Westbrook's stats have gotten him so far in terms of team success.

eliteballer
04-18-2019, 02:47 AM
Tell me what Westbrook's stats have gotten him so far in terms of team success.

That's not the point...

The point is a fundamental aspect of the game "defense" which is what affects everything about a players ability to be effective offensively has been eviscerated from the game, it's not rocket science to conclude why significantly handcuffed defense=greater effectiveness offensively.

TheCorporation
04-18-2019, 03:20 AM

Fake news, you were lied to:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydOUbQqYb30

Great video debunking hand checking, physical era, and other bullshit people like you tend to spew

iamgine
04-18-2019, 03:24 AM
Nash was a defense wrecker, with as much offensive impact as I've seen on anyone. The same goes for Curry, in different ways. Whether they would be any worse, yes, since current Warriors are built more for Curry. The same goes if Curry went to court with Raja Bell, Marion, James Jones, Kurt Thomas.

Mr.GOAT2408
04-18-2019, 03:30 AM
In what planet would Nash adjust?

I'm not going to quote a long ass message but I said "if" he adjusted, I don't know if Nash would adjust to playing more off ball. I'm sure he could but that's not the same as whether he would or not

Btw the rule changes in the mid 2000s really helped quick point guards, Nash being the poster boy. AI went from averaging 27 ppg on low 48 TS% to averaging 31 ppg on 53 TS% and 33 ppg on 54 TS% the following season while also being almost 31 by then, and that guy relied a ton on athleticism which is one reason why he fell off after his peak 01 season; it affected all perimeter players but it especially affected small, quick guards. Curry and today's point guards should be thankful they play in this era because they would not be as effective in an earlier era. Not to mention the smaller lineups being utilized today, more 3s which means more spacing, faster pace which means an even bigger disregard for playing defense.

You're telling me with a straight face that Nash could not average 25+ ppg on 60+ TS% in today's NBA? Dude averaged 27 ppg on 61.3 TS% in the last 2 rounds of the 2005 playoffs vs the Mavs (top 10 defense) and Spurs (arguably best defense). That's basically what Nash would average in today's NBA

Obviously Curry is "greater" than Nash and Nash was too bad on defense for me to truly entertain who was actually better, but offensively it's very close.

And I'm far from a Nash fan, as far as I'm concerned he deserves 0 MVPs whereas Curry deserved both of his

Mr.GOAT2408
04-18-2019, 03:41 AM
Fake news, you were lied to:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydOUbQqYb30

Great video debunking hand checking, physical era, and other bullshit people like you tend to spew
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8nBRV0TKsxo

Nice try

nashwade
04-18-2019, 04:14 AM
as a nash fan, i think Curry's style is more suited for GSW than Nash - cos of ball movement without the reliance on ONE playmaker

Nash would excel in the current Houston team

PickernRoller
04-18-2019, 06:01 AM
I would take Nash to win a ring over Curry anyday.

His mid-range game and passing skills are far superior to him. And he ain't a choker like Curry, not at Curry's level.

Kblaze8855
04-18-2019, 07:45 AM
With Durant they would still with titles with Nash. But i don't think they would have won a title before Durant got there with Nash. I don't think they win 73 games either.

Curry's scoring ability and range are on a completely different level from Nash. He is a bigger threat with or without the ball.

I dont know. Despite stupid people thinking I hate him.....Steve Nash was monstrously skilled.

I dont think we ever got to see the full range of his scoring ability. As fast as we felt they played....the 06 Suns? Nashs top scoring year? Their pace was less than any team in the NBA in 2019. In shot attempts they would be 27th in todays league. They would be shooting even more threes(they took 3 a game less than any team took this year).

Even better spacing with even more neutered defense(though to be fair 05-07 were also outliers for poor perimeter defense)?

I feel like we would consider Nash a better scorer now with the same skillset.

Would he be Steph? No. He just isnt gonna play that way. But I think hed look a lot closer than he looked back then. He won an MVP taking 11 shots a game. He never even got as high as 14 in his career. Think thats the same today?

I feel like coaches now would demand more scoring out of him and I think hed come though.

Phoenix
04-18-2019, 07:59 AM
Nash would have been an easy 25-27ppg guy back in 2006...or today....if he was asked to provide that kind of scoring.

egokiller
04-18-2019, 08:27 AM

Nice try

SHUT IT DOWN! :roll:

tontoz
04-18-2019, 10:05 AM
Phoenix led the league in pace in '06 at 99.2 and Nash averaged 18.8 ppg, 10 less than Arenas, with MDA as the coach. Mike James and Mike Bibby scored more than him.

In '16 GS was 2nd in pace at 103 and Curry averaged 30, tops among pgs, Lillard was at 25.

I don't see Nash closing the scoring gap that much. He was a pass first player. That was his nature, and he didn't have Curry's quick release.

Nash had good shot selection. Curry takes crazy shots, and makes them.

Curry's movement off the ball also causes a lot of problems for the defense. Nash was a better playmaker but his off the ball impact wasn't close to Curry.

Norcaliblunt
04-18-2019, 10:13 AM
Curry makes them better but Nash would help the role players on the warriors get more easy buckets. For instance when McGee was there he would probably get a couple more lobs and dunks a game helping when things get stagnet for the stars.

StrongLurk
04-18-2019, 10:17 AM
Yes, the Warriors would be worse with Nash, but not by much.

superduper
04-18-2019, 11:27 AM
Imagine having one of the greatest seasons of all time while building from the ground up with fking Klay Thompson and Draymond Green as 2nd and 3rd options and then being insulted with these low IQ takes.

Who is scoring 30ppg in 3 quarters on historical efficiency on that team pre-Durant if Nash is the one at the point?

FireDavidKahn
04-18-2019, 11:31 AM
They'd be worse but not by much. While Nash is an amazing shooter he simply can't do what Curry does who is basically a legitimate threat to shoot right when he crosses half court.

The gravity that Curry generates (which opens up the entire offense) is mind boggling.

FireDavidKahn
04-18-2019, 11:35 AM
He isn't just a spot up shooter dumbass

But it's a big part of his game

However, I wouldn't expect you to see thru the obvious lines there
Curry has the 4th lowest spot up frequency percentage on the Warriors:rolleyes: That's including Looney and Livingston.

https://stats.nba.com/players/spot-up/?SeasonType=Regular%20Season&sort=POSS_PCT&dir=1&CF=TEAM_ABBREVIATION*E*gsw

PistonsFan#21
04-18-2019, 12:00 PM
Nash would have been an easy 25-27ppg guy back in 2006...or today....if he was asked to provide that kind of scoring.

Easy 27ppg? Nash never even scored 19ppg for a single season so how can you say he would easily average more than other guards known for their scoring such as Kyrie Irving or Lillard?

tontoz
04-18-2019, 01:23 PM
Jeremy Lin averaged 19.6 pts per 36 with MDA as a coach.

LostCause
04-18-2019, 01:57 PM

Nice try

It's really strange

Folks see a video and form their opinions based off it. "It must be true - some guy on Youtube said so!"

Then a counter video is made. Now they don't know what to believe

When all they have to do is... their own research and form their own opinion, then they won't have to be so confused by folks telling them what to think

It's basketball, not rocket science.

Phoenix
04-18-2019, 03:06 PM
Easy 27ppg? Nash never even scored 19ppg for a single season so how can you say he would easily average more than other guards known for their scoring such as Kyrie Irving or Lillard?

Because I look at his actual scoring ability, not the ppg total, and how he fit it into the offense being run by Phoenix at the time. Nash didn't have the score first mentality that guys like Kyrie, Westbrook, Lillard, or Curry has. He picked his spots, rarely forced anything. He was a perfect blend of scoring and passing at his peak. His passing ability would put him right at the top in today's league. In the right system where he's asked to score more? Yeah, I can see him doing those numbers. When Nash was putting up 19ppg, he was playing with 5 other double digit scorers at a pace of 95.6 that would rank dead last in today's league. What numbers you think he's putting up in 2019 when half the league is 100 or higher in pace numbers? More than 19/11....and that's if he isn't asked to be the primary scorer.

tpols
04-18-2019, 03:11 PM
Because I look at his actual scoring ability, not the ppg total, and how he fit it into the offense being run by Phoenix at the time. Nash didn't have the score first mentality that guys like Kyrie, Westbrook, Lillard, or Curry has. He picked his spots, rarely forced anything. He was a perfect blend of scoring and passing at his peak. His passing ability would put him right at the top in today's league. In the right system where he's asked to score more? Yeah, I can see him doing those numbers.

Nash isn't a prolific off ball shooter... He was off the dribble and sometimes spot up. He didn't run routes and perform catch and shoot maneuvers from all over the court. So saying he could replicate curry role in golden state system can't be true.

Phoenix
04-18-2019, 03:14 PM
Nash isn't a prolific off ball shooter... He was off the dribble and sometimes spot up. He didn't run routes and perform catch and shoot maneuvers from all over the court. So saying he could replicate curry role in golden state system can't be true.

Where did I state this? If you're going to address my post, at least do so based on what I said FFS. I didn't say, or infer, a single thing about 'replicating' Curry's role. I said he had 25-27ppg scoring ability, he doesn't need to 'replicate' Curry or play in the Warriors system to do that. Nash's game opened up after 2005 under those rules and in D'Antoni's system. It's hilarious to think that the game has opened up even MORE since then...defense is worse than ever...the lanes are more open....and basic extrapolation that this wouldn't positively impact Nash's stats seems out of reach for some.

tontoz
04-18-2019, 03:29 PM
The Suns could have used more scoring when Amare missed the season due to injury. And Nash did increase his scoring....

from 15.5 ppg to 18.8 ppg, under a coach that always allows guards to put up absurd stats.

He just wasn't a score first player.

JohnMax
04-18-2019, 03:43 PM
Stephen Curry (https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/c/curryst01.html)

Curry 7/10 regular seasons scoring 20+ ppg
Curry 7/7 playoffs scoring 20+ ppg

Steve Nash (https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/n/nashst01.html)

Nash 0/18 regular seasons scoring 20+ ppg
Nash 2/12 playoffs scoring 20+ ppg

houston
04-19-2019, 10:53 PM
nash was a choke artist