PDA

View Full Version : Could Westbrook get out of first round with Scottie Pippen?

SpaceJam2
04-24-2019, 01:06 PM
In his last three playoff runs he is winning at a low rate of 1 win per 4 games (4/12) Jordan was winning at a rate of 1 win per 10 games (1/9) before Scottie Pippen came along.

Could Westbrook get out of first round with Scottie Pippen?

Xiao Yao You
04-24-2019, 01:07 PM
George is better than Pippen

SpaceJam2
04-24-2019, 01:10 PM

They're definitely similar. I still give the edge to Scottie though, no?

Plus Russ is also winning at a better rate

1 in 4 vs
1 in 10

Xiao Yao You
04-24-2019, 01:13 PM
They're definitely similar. I still give the edge to Scottie though, no?

Plus Russ is also winning at a better rate

1 in 4 vs
1 in 10

Scottie was at best a streaky shooter. Better passer and in the open court and filling lanes defensively. George has him otherwise

SpaceJam2
04-24-2019, 01:24 PM
Scottie was at best a streaky shooter. Better passer and in the open court and filling lanes defensively. George has him otherwise

Well Paul George is not a better rebounder or passer or Defender, I will say he is a better scorer at the least.

Brasileiro
04-24-2019, 01:28 PM
Westbrook: 1 win per 3 games

SomeBlackDude
04-24-2019, 01:28 PM
would bron even make the playoffs in the west with scottie pippen?

le10th seed says:

https://media1.giphy.com/media/3orifhNhn840GpMMPm/giphy.gif

Rico2016
04-24-2019, 01:35 PM
I think it's entirely possible that he could make it out of the first round with Scottie Pippen. In fact I'm sure that he would be able to. Russell Westbrook needs a 3 and D guy that can facilitate a little more so that he can play more like a combo guard or shooting guard. If he had someone else that could pass and defend it would really open up his game. So I would say yes, for sure he would make it out of the first round with Hall of Famer like Scottie Pippen.

Xiao Yao You
04-24-2019, 01:45 PM
Well Paul George is not a better rebounder or passer or Defender, I will say he is a better scorer at the least.

Pippen averaged more rebounds than George did this year once. Pippen was great at filling the defensive lanes. George defends too. Pippen might be a bench player today without a shot. I'd take George but I always thought Pippen was overrated

tpols
04-24-2019, 01:49 PM
I think it's entirely possible that he could make it out of the first round with Scottie Pippen. In fact I'm sure that he would be able to. Russell Westbrook needs a 3 and D guy that can facilitate a little more so that he can play more like a combo guard or shooting guard. If he had someone else that could pass and defend it would really open up his game. So I would say yes, for sure he would make it out of the first round with Hall of Famer like Scottie Pippen.

Westbrook needs a 3 & D guy and you're talking pippen?

After he failed,with Paul George who is an all NBA defender and much better shooter?

:wtf:

Xiao Yao You
04-24-2019, 01:51 PM

They did more shooting not less

superduper
04-24-2019, 01:51 PM
Westbrook needs a 3 & D guy and you're talking pippen?

After he failed,with Paul George who is an all NBA defender and much better shooter?

:wtf:

Bro look at the damn boxscore and see that Pippen got more reb and assists than PG aka he was better at those aspects. Analyzing basketball is that simple, whoever has higher boxscore. Don't come back to me until you check the $tats :mad: :mad:

SpaceJam2
04-24-2019, 01:54 PM
Westbrook: 1 win per 3 games

25% win rate

4 and 12 = (4/16) = 25% = 1 in 4 :cheers:

Xiao Yao You
04-24-2019, 01:54 PM
Bro look at the damn boxscore and see that Pippen got more reb and assists than PG aka he was better at those aspects. Analyzing basketball is that simple, whoever has higher boxscore. Don't come back to me until you check the $tats :mad: :mad:

More to it than box scores. What team did they play on. What era. etc. etc. would have who to space the floor without George?

SpaceJam2
04-24-2019, 01:56 PM

Are you okay?

FireDavidKahn
04-24-2019, 01:56 PM
Ari Wagner

@AriHoopsWagner
Follow Follow @AriHoopsWagner
More
Russell Westbrook in the postseason since Kevin Durant left:

2016-17: Lost in First Round
2017-18: Lost in First Round
2018-19: Lost in First Round
*0-8 in road playoff games during same stretch*

OKC has to be thinking about blowing this thing up all together soon?

:lol :lol

SpaceJam2
04-24-2019, 02:04 PM
:lol :lol

Damn, rivaling 1-9 MJ :eek:

AlternativeAcc.
04-24-2019, 02:08 PM
Impact and intangibles pippen is better than George. Didnt pippen win 55 games once Jordan got suspended and almost make the ECFs?

Pippins impact goes way deeper than box scores... he had more impact than Kawhi who is a current top 5 player.

Jordan was carried.

SpaceJam2
04-24-2019, 02:09 PM
Impact and intangibles pippen is better than George. Didnt pippen win 55 games once Jordan got suspended and almost make the ECFs?

Pippins impact goes way deeper than box scores... he had more impact than Kawhi who is a current top 5 player.

Jordan was carried.

Thank :applause: you :applause:

Xiao Yao You
04-24-2019, 02:12 PM

Jordan was carried.

It was the other way around. Not sure anyone that wasn't watching basketball at the time would even know who Pippen was if not for MJ. In today's game he would just be another guy to leave alone on the perimeter and let him fire away

AirFederer
04-24-2019, 02:13 PM
Could OP ever get out of his mother

superduper
04-24-2019, 02:13 PM
Did Pippen win anything the year he won 55 games? The way people are hyping it up it sounds like he won the world championship in the second round. What did Pippen win?

Whatever Pippen won with his 55 wins, does it come close to 3peating twice?

What was the difference in the years Pippen 3peated twice and the one year he won the 55GameWorldChampionship?

Anyone?

Xiao Yao You
04-24-2019, 02:17 PM
Did Pippen win anything the year he won 55 games? The way people are hyping it up it sounds like he won the world championship in the second round. What did Pippen win?

Whatever Pippen won with his 55 wins, does it come close to 3peating twice?

What was the difference in the years Pippen 3peated twice and the one year he won the 55GameWorldChampionship?

Anyone?

What was the difference between the 55 and the 47 the next year? Horace Grant. He was a huge part of it and he was missed

Smoke117
04-24-2019, 02:21 PM

I'll take a 94 and 95 Pippen over this George any day of the week.

Xiao Yao You
04-24-2019, 02:21 PM

good luck with that. Better have some shooters and scorers around him

Smoke117
04-24-2019, 02:22 PM
It was the other way around. Not sure anyone that wasn't watching basketball at the time would even know who Pippen was if not for MJ. In today's game he would just be another guy to leave alone on the perimeter and let him fire away

Jesus christ...are you serious with this shit?

Smoke117
04-24-2019, 02:25 PM
good luck with that. Better have some shooters and scorers around him

There is also a little thing called defense...you'd think a Jazz fan would know this better than anyone considering how badly Pippen destroyed the Jazz on that end in the 97 and 98 finals.

Xiao Yao You
Jesus christ...are you serious with this shit?

With what spacing? I've watched the Jazz enough to how important it is.

SpaceJam2
[QUOTE=AirFederer]Could OP ever get out of his mother

Xiao Yao You
04-24-2019, 02:26 PM
There is also a little thing called defense...you'd think a Jazz fan would know this better than anyone considering how badly Pippen destroyed the Jazz on that end in the 97 and 98 finals.

George plays D and can shoot

Smoke117
04-24-2019, 02:26 PM
George plays D and can shoot

He's nothing close to a Pippen level defender, though. Scottie also raised the level of play of his teammates. That's something George has never done.

SpaceJam2
04-24-2019, 02:27 PM

Pippen drug 1-9 Russell Jordanbrook's sorry ass out of the 1st round so don't forget that...

Xiao Yao You
04-24-2019, 02:27 PM
He's nothing close to a Pippen level defender, though.

doesn't have to be because he can shoot

SpaceJam2
04-24-2019, 02:28 PM

100% no doubt about it. People forget this, but during the 1st 3peat Pippen averaged 21/8/8 in the Finals with elite defense...

Smoke117
04-24-2019, 02:29 PM
doesn't have to be because he can shoot

Pippen would be the guy with the ball setting up other players and breaking down defenses. His job would not be to stand on the perimeter waiting for an open shot. That or you can put him in the post as he was a very good post player. That's all beside the point that he's one of the greatest open court players of all time and if you allow him the fast break it's basically a guaranteed 2 points.

Xiao Yao You
04-24-2019, 02:31 PM
Pippen would be the guy with the ball setting up other players and breaking down defenses. His job would not be to stand on the perimeter waiting for an open shot. That or you can put him in the post as he was a very good post player. That's all beside the point that he's one of the greatest open court players of all time and if you allow him the fast break it's basically a guaranteed 2 points.

Who would be on the perimeter waiting for the open shot? Westbrook? Adams? George fits on any team in any era. Pippen not so much

Smoke117
04-24-2019, 02:33 PM
Who would be on the perimeter waiting for the open shot? Westbrook? Adams? George fits on any team in any era. Pippen not so much

I thought we were talking about in general not on this OKC team. I'm just saying Pippen was better in 94 and 95 than George, period.

Xiao Yao You
04-24-2019, 02:35 PM
I thought we were talking about in general not on this OKC team. I'm just saying Pippen was better in 94 and 95 than George, period.

Don't think it's that simple. In that era on that team maybe. Could he get Westbrook out of the 1st round? Pippen would probably have to play the 4 today and would he shoot well enough to start even than?

Smoke117
04-24-2019, 02:39 PM
Don't think it's that simple. In that era on that team maybe. Could he get Westbrook out of the 1st round? Pippen would probably have to play the 4 today and would he shoot well enough to start even than?

As dominant as Pippen was defensively he'd probably be even more so now. Remember there was illegal defense back then and what made Scottie so dominate was his team/help defense...that he was so long, athletic, and smart that he always knew where to be and could get there easily. With no illegal defense he would just be everywhere causing havok. He'd be a top 1-5 defensive player throughout his career.

Why would he have to play the 4? He wasn't even close to as bad of a shooter as you are trying to make him out to be. He kept the defense honest. You'd think he was Ben Simmons the way you are talking. He obviously would have been working on his 3pt shot a lot more if he was playing in this era anyway. You can't just take a guy and throw him into a new era and think he wouldn't changed or adapted his game in any way.

Xiao Yao You
04-24-2019, 02:43 PM
As dominant as Pippen was defensively he'd probably be even more so now. Remember there was illegal defense back then and what made Scottie so dominate was his team/help defense...that he was so long, athletic, and smart that he always knew where to be and could get there easily. With no illegal defense he would just be everywhere causing havok. He'd be a top 1-5 defensive player throughout his career.

Why would he have to play the 4? He wasn't even close to as bad of a shooter as you are trying to make him out to be. He kept the defense honest. You'd think he was Ben Simmons the way you are talking. He obviously would have been working on his 3pt shot a lot more if he was playing in this era anyway. You can't just take a guy and throw him into a new era and think he wouldn't changed or adapted his game in any way.

He was a streaky shooter. At 6'8 his shooting would play better at the 4. You cant just throw him into another era and think he would have the same success either. I'm still not convinced he would have even been an all-star in his own era if not for MJ and Phil

Smoke117
04-24-2019, 02:44 PM
He was a streaky shooter. At 6'8 his shooting would play better at the 4. You cant just throw him into another era and think he would have the same success either. I'm still not convinced he would have even been an all-star in his own era if not for MJ and Phil

True. They made him what he was. It had nothing to do with hardwork, talent, and skill.

Xiao Yao You
04-24-2019, 02:47 PM
True. They made him what he was. It had nothing to do with hardwork, talent, and skill.

that was part of it and he still had serious limitations to his game. He was in the right place at the right time

Smoke117
04-24-2019, 02:52 PM
that was part of it and he still had serious limitations to his game. He was in the right place at the right time

Pippen had one of the most brilliant BBIQ's of all time. That's not something you get from practicing with a great player or coach. You either have it or you don't.

Xiao Yao You
04-24-2019, 02:54 PM
Pippen had one of the most brilliant BBIQ's of all time. That's not something you get from practicing with a great player or coach. You either have it or you don't.

that great IQ that didn't understand letting a better shooter take the last shot and refusing to go into the game

Smoke117
04-24-2019, 02:56 PM
that great IQ that didn't understand letting a better shooter take the last shot and refusing to go into the game

That's not even what happened, but okay. Phil wrote it up for Kukoc to have that shot because they knew everyone was going to be on Pippen's ass. He wanted to use him as a decoy and Scottie just wasn't having it.

Xiao Yao You
04-24-2019, 03:00 PM
That's not even what happened, but okay. Phil wrote it up for Kukoc to have that shot because they knew everyone was going to be on Pippen's ass. He wanted to use him as a decoy and Scottie just wasn't having it.

his brain wasn't equipped for that high level thinking

Smoke117
04-24-2019, 03:01 PM
his brain wasn't equipped for that high level thinking

If you are actually trying to deny Pippen had one of the greatest BBIQ's ever then this conversation is pointless as you clearly don't know anything about basketball.

Akeem34TheDream
04-24-2019, 03:27 PM
If you are actually trying to deny Pippen had one of the greatest BBIQ's ever then this conversation is pointless as you clearly don't know anything about basketball.
Have you read his comments? He doesn't look so smart. He writes the same things over and over and over. "Rubio sucks, he can't shoot or defend, Gobert and Mitchell are perfect, they are never at fault, coach also sucks and they could've gotten Conley." All his comments includes these. This spamming can not come from a healthy man. 3ball and duncanformvp also spams the same goddamn sentences. I cant help but think of someone as retarded when they always write the exact same things. I mean diverse it a bit.

Smoke117
04-24-2019, 03:30 PM
Pippen was a lap dog, a yes man

He wasn't some genius - he did what MJ told (https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=IBZH4nICAE4) him to do

The greatest basketball genius is fitting goat scoring into a system and winning 6 rings (goat teamwork) as the league's top scorer (only Kareem and Shaq did this once each in their peak seasons of 71' and 00')

That's why countless coaches and teammates have reaped praise on him for his tremendous BBIQ, right? Tex Winters himself says he's never coached a player smarter than Pippen when it comes to basketball, but okay. Lapdog.

3ball
04-24-2019, 03:30 PM
Pippen was a lap dog, a yes man

He wasn't some genius - he did what MJ told (https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=IBZH4nICAE4&t=20m58s) him to do

The greatest basketball genius is fitting goat scoring into a system and winning 6 rings (goat teamwork) as the league's top scorer (only Kareem and Shaq did this once each in their peak seasons of 71' and 00')

imdaman99
04-24-2019, 03:31 PM
Have you read his comments? He doesn't look so smart. He writes the same things over and over and over. "Rubio sucks, he can't shoot or defend, Gobert and Mitchell are perfect, they are never at fault, coach also sucks and they could've gotten Conley." All his comments includes these. This spamming can not come from a healthy man. 3ball and duncanformvp also spams the same goddamn sentences. I cant help but think of someone as retarded when they always write the exact same things. I mean diverse it a bit.
For what it's worth, Conley is better than Rubio. Prove him wrong :lol

But he does get repetitive. As I am getting as well, defending Westbroke :(

Xiao Yao You
04-24-2019, 03:38 PM

Ricky just got a $75,000 bonus for shooting 40.4% on the season. You think he had an incentive to shoot 40% in his contract for a reason? :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

When did I say Gobert and Mitchell were perfect? Gobert is their best player and you need to build around him and now Mitchell too. We saw a glimpse of how to do that at the end of Hayward's last season when they put 4 guys around him that could space the floor. Ricky doesn't fit. Not rocket science

The coach doesn't suck but he's not great and he's not the reason Gobert and Mitchell are great. He is the one that plays certain guys regardless if they are sucking or not.

From everything we know they could have had Conley but didn't want to give up Exum! :wtf: :wtf:

Phoenix
04-24-2019, 03:40 PM
Pippen would have developed differently under Westbrook. A few things should be obvious about this hypothetical:

Westbrook would completely fail in the triangle offense, both IQ-wise and in terms of a skillset devoid of any kind of off-ball scoring presence. If he plays the same game he's played all this time, then quite obviously that creates an entirely different and likely less successful partnership with Pippen, because Scottie developed his ballhandling/facilitating skills by being given those responsibilities in the triangle while MJ moved off-ball. He does NOT become that kind of player with Westbrook being the decision maker as we've seen. I mean how much more fukking evidence do you need?

egokiller
04-24-2019, 03:41 PM
In his last three playoff runs he is winning at a low rate of 1 win per 4 games (4/12) Jordan was winning at a rate of 1 win per 10 games (1/9) before Scottie Pippen came along.

Could Westbrook get out of first round with Scottie Pippen?

Are we assuming Westbrook has the discipline to practice/workout with Pippen every morning of everyday before actual practice like what MJ did to Pippen?

https://www.si.com/tech-media/2016/08/09/jordan-brand-bringing-mjs-famous-breakfast-club-workout-online

If Westbrook followed MJ's blueprint for greatness and molded Pippen the way MJ did, anything is possible.

3ball
04-24-2019, 03:43 PM
Not in 1988 or 1989

:confusedshrug:

Xiao Yao You
04-24-2019, 03:45 PM
Are we assuming Westbrook has the discipline to practice/workout with Pippen every morning of everyday before actual practice like what MJ did to Pippen?

https://www.si.com/tech-media/2016/08/09/jordan-brand-bringing-mjs-famous-breakfast-club-workout-online

If Westbrook followed MJ's blueprint for greatness and molded Pippen the way MJ did, anything is possible.

Westbrook is known as a hard worker I believe. He's just not very bright

egokiller
04-24-2019, 03:46 PM
Westbrook is known as a hard worker I believe. He's just not very bright

Therein lies the question. Does his work ethic prevail enough to follow through with something like the breakfast club the way MJ did with Pippen despite his lack of intelligence?

SpaceJam2
04-24-2019, 03:48 PM
Is Scottie Pippen the greatest #2 of all-time?

Scottie Pippen's averages from 1991, 1992 and 1993 Finals combined

21 points
9 rebounds
7 assists
2 steals
1 block
46%

Jesus :eek:

21-9-7-2-1 on 46% for three straight Finals...With elite defense (lower DRtg than DPOY Jordan each series) :eek:

imdaman99
04-24-2019, 03:52 PM
Pippen would have developed differently under Westbrook. A few things should be obvious about this hypothetical:

Westbrook would completely fail in the triangle offense, both IQ-wise and in terms of a skillset devoid of any kind of off-ball scoring presence. If he plays the same game he's played all this time, then quite obviously that creates an entirely different and likely less successful partnership with Pippen, because Scottie developed his ballhandling/facilitating skills by being given those responsibilities in the triangle while MJ moved off-ball. He does NOT become that kind of player with Westbrook being the decision maker as we've seen. I mean how much more fukking evidence do you need?
Yeah Westbrook is a cancer except PG just had the best season of his career :rolleyes:

Scottie would not be the perfect 2nd option to Russ, especially not in the current era.

Phoenix
04-24-2019, 06:21 PM
Yeah Westbrook is a cancer except PG just had the best season of his career :rolleyes:

Scottie would not be the perfect 2nd option to Russ, especially not in the current era.

PG and Scottie have two different skillsets offensively. What PG was able to do this year plays no bearing on how Scottie would play off Westbrook. Scottie was a better overall player but was never the scorer/shooter PG is. That said, in your second sentence you appear to agree on the surface that Scottie doesn't mesh with Russ, but I wouldn't restrict it to this era. I don't think he works with him 20 years ago either. I think people underestimate how well MJ and Pips games meshed.

SpaceJam2
04-25-2019, 12:46 PM
I mean, it worked for MJ...

Mj fans talk so much shit on Scottie but he saved your man crush's legacy...

"MJ started his NBA post season getting bodied to the tune of 1-9. He had 1 win in 10 post season games. Jordan was in shambles and didn't know how to win, until that lucky day when..."

https://i.postimg.cc/wBLQqPp4/AlongCameScottie.jpg

3ball
04-25-2019, 12:56 PM

"MJ started his NBA post season getting bodied to the tune of 1-9. He had 1 win in 10 post season games. Jordan was in shambles and didn't know how to win, until that lucky day when..."[/I]

https://i.postimg.cc/wBLQqPp4/AlongCameScottie.jpg

You think a 9 seed or worse that missed the playoffs would've beaten the 1 seed if they had made it instead?... :biggums:

Because that's what ur saying - ur knocking MJ for making the playoffs when nearly every young player MISSES the playoffs their first few seasons (Durant, Giannis, Curry, Lebron, Kyrie, etc)

MJ did better than all these guys by being the 8th best team in his conference while these guys all fielded the worst teams in the conference (lottery)..

Additionally, MJ set playoff record in his first encounter with championship comp, while Lebron and company wet the bed the first times they face championship comp (07' Finals and also 26 on 35% in 08' ECSF)

You talk so much shit on Scottie but he saved your man crush's legacy...

Actually, MJ built Pippen, but frequently had to save him - Pippen was really bad in MOST of the big series the bulls played:... :eek:

1988 PLAYOFFS:. 10.0 on 46.5%
1989 PLAYOFFS:. 13.1 on 46.2% (9.7 on 40.4% in ecf)

1990 ECF. vs. DET:. 16.6 on 42.8% (2 pts, 1-10 in game 7)

1992 ECSF vs NYN:. 16.0 on 40.2%

1994 ECSF vs NYN:. 21.7 on 40.5% (worst-ever 1st option w/ goat choke)

1996 ECSF vs NYN:. 15.6 on 33.0%
1996 FINAL vs SEA:. 15.7 on 34.3%

1997 RD 1 vs WAS:. 16.7 on 38.3%
1997 ECF. vs. MIA:. 16.8 on 41.7%

1998 ECFS vsN IND:. 16.6 on 39.2%
1998 FINAL vs UTA:. 15.7 on 41.0%

^^^^ ****ing horrible help.. :confusedshrug:

Pippen's stats in 96-98 Playoffs - 17 on 40%

SpaceJam2
04-25-2019, 01:00 PM
Pip for 3-straights Finals was a beast

21/9/7/2/1 on 46% with better than DPOY MJ defense

Good god how could you lose with that? It's no wonder MJ was saved from his 1-9 woes

Phoenix
04-25-2019, 02:08 PM
Pip for 3-straights Finals was a beast

21/9/7/2/1 on 46% with better than DPOY MJ defense

Good god how could you lose with that? It's no wonder MJ was saved from his 1-9 woes

How did Lebron lose with 27/7/5/ 61% TS and 19/7/ third option, while playing like shit in the process?