PDA

View Full Version : would it even be worth it to spend 6.5 million to send your kid to Stanford?

Real Men Wear Green
05-03-2019, 12:19 PM
Watching news just saw that some lady dropped 6.5 mil to get her daughter into Stanford as part of this admissions scandal. She claimed to have been duped, saying she was told the money would be aiding the less fortunate. And I'm inclined to believe her just because that would be such a waste of money otherwise. Harvard wouldn't even be worth 6mil. If your kid has the necessary intelligence and work ethic to get a degree they can earn a few mil over the course of their lifetime. 100k a year for 60 years is 6 mil. That kid would most likely be better off if they go to community college for two years and then somewhere accredited and you find some clever way to avoid the estate tax. Heck, even if you don't avoid the estate tax, stil better off with the money.

highwhey
05-03-2019, 12:44 PM
rich with more money than they know what to do with

warriorfan
05-03-2019, 12:54 PM
The family sounds like they are near the point where money isn

bigkingsfan
05-03-2019, 12:55 PM
It's a pride/resume thing for rich folks.

Real Men Wear Green
05-03-2019, 12:58 PM
Didn't think about the prestige, that's probably it.

Nanners
05-03-2019, 01:00 PM
It's a pride/resume thing for rich folks.

this is whats going on, but its not about pride/resume for the kids, its really about the parents.

for the most part, these kids dont really give a shit if they go to Stanford instead of UC Davis or Riverside. kids whose parents can spend $6m to put them in a fancy college will never really have to work a day in their lives regardless of where they go to school...

this is really about the egos of wealthy parents who want to be able to brag to their friends that their kid got into Stanford.

eliteballer
05-03-2019, 01:04 PM
It was some Chinese family.

New money families in places like India, China etc. throw around money like it's nothing.

NumberSix
05-03-2019, 01:22 PM
Not that Stanford is a bad school or anything, but you would think that you would aim a little higher for $6.5 mil.

eliteballer
05-03-2019, 02:29 PM
Not that Stanford is a bad school or anything, but you would think that you would aim a little higher for $6.5 mil.

There's a handful of schools at the top on the same general level, and Stanford is one of them.

JEFFERSON MONEY
05-03-2019, 02:47 PM
No its not
uve got other sources to attain that knowledge....

Patrick Chewing
05-03-2019, 02:49 PM
Why pay 6.5 million dollars to turn your child into a snowflake Liberal when there's Youtube and Twitter.

NumberSix
05-03-2019, 03:23 PM
There's a handful of schools at the top on the same general level, and Stanford is one of them.
Well, if you specifically want to be in California i get it, but for $6.5M you

Smoke117
05-03-2019, 03:26 PM
Watching news just saw that some lady dropped 6.5 mil to get her daughter into Stanford as part of this admissions scandal. She claimed to have been duped, saying she was told the money would be aiding the less fortunate. And I'm inclined to believe her just because that would be such a waste of money otherwise. Harvard wouldn't even be worth 6mil. If your kid has the necessary intelligence and work ethic to get a degree they can earn a few mil over the course of their lifetime. 100k a year for 60 years is 6 mil. That kid would most likely be better off if they go to community college for two years and then somewhere accredited and you find some clever way to avoid the estate tax. Heck, even if you don't avoid the estate tax, stil better off with the money.

To be so naive to actually believe this. :oldlol: Your innocence is precious.

DCL
05-03-2019, 03:33 PM
her daddy has probably been buying all her grades and test scores since day 1.

i wonder if she has ever written an essay in her life.

that was probably never necessary. their lives are completely different.

Long Duck Dong
05-03-2019, 04:13 PM
I'm wondering why her parents just didn't donate the money directly to the school, she probably would have got in legit. Dr Dre donated 15mil to USC and he got his daughter, who apparently didn't have outstanding grades or test scores, in totally legit.

The school would laugh off these 250k bribes by these Hollywood celebs which is why they had to go to shady characters to help them. But 6.5 mil is a whole another story

bigkingsfan
05-03-2019, 04:33 PM
I'm wondering why her parents just didn't donate the money directly to the school, she probably would have got in legit. Dr Dre donated 15mil to USC and he got his daughter, who apparently didn't have outstanding grades or test scores, in totally legit.

The school would laugh off these 250k bribes by these Hollywood celebs which is why they had to go to shady characters to help them. But 6.5 mil is a whole another story
USC isn't really that hard to get in the first place. Depending on the major, communication/arts/English.. etc. I could see her getting in without the money, but merely having association to a LA icon like Dre.

NumberSix
05-03-2019, 04:34 PM

$15M to get into USC? Daaaammmmnnnn. His daughter must be as dumb as a bag of wet hammers.

egokiller
05-03-2019, 06:07 PM
At the end of the day, you have to know you didn't get in legit and had to pay your way in. It doesn't matter if some rich kid's parents got him or her in and certain people think they got in legit, at the end of the day, he or she has to put it in the back of their mind that they just weren't good enough to get in the right way. They basically have to live out the rest of their life knowing they really weren't good enough. :lol

iamgine
05-03-2019, 06:31 PM
One of my cousin's wife is in these elite socialites and she'll do anything for appearance. My cousin had a great job as VP of a large company but I don't think his salary was enough to keep up with the elites she was hanging with. In the end my cousin was caught stealing $2M from the company and has been in legal battle since.

The truly rich elites are crazy though. $6.5M is nothing to them. It's the cost of one of their Patek Phillipe. A friend of mine had a friend whose stepdad is one of those crazy rich asian. Made $1B a year minimum. His house had about 50 exotic cars. ferraris, lamborghinis, maseratis, porches. When a new car model comes out, the dealer would bring the new car model to his house and just leave the key for him to test for a couple of weeks, no question asked.

Norcaliblunt
05-05-2019, 09:48 AM
This is what ultra rich people do with tax breaks. Illegal shit. Or at least retarded shit. In this case both.

imdaman99
05-05-2019, 03:10 PM
Must be nice to buy your way into everything :rolleyes:

But let's face it, if we were loaded we would want the best opportunities for our kids, amirite? Obviously I would want my kids to earn most of it, but that doesn't mean I'm not looking out for them. Paternal instincts lead to providing the best/easiest life for our future generations, especially if we have ridiculous money where we have more than we'll ever spend personally.

Loco 50
05-05-2019, 07:39 PM
Must be nice to buy your way into everything :rolleyes:

But let's face it, if we were loaded we would want the best opportunities for our kids, amirite? Obviously I would want my kids to earn most of it, but that doesn't mean I'm not looking out for them. Paternal instincts lead to providing the best/easiest life for our future generations, especially if we have ridiculous money where we have more than we'll ever spend personally.
You aren't understanding. If a kid's parents can afford a 6 and a half million dollar bribe to get them into a school then that kid doesn't have to worry about "opportunities." The bribe was merely to attain the status of having a kid that attends Stanford.

FreezingTsmoove
05-05-2019, 08:18 PM
If its for computer science then yes I would... At that point its not about status, you are clearly more qualified than others in the field (if you graduate). Tech companies fight over Stanford grads

Lebowsky
05-05-2019, 09:27 PM
Her father is a pharma tycoon, eighth richest man in Singapore with a net worth well over one billion. That's pocket money to him, and it's clearly a matter of prestige