PDA

View Full Version : Revision Time: Butler To The Rockets

FireDavidKahn
05-11-2019, 11:47 AM
There was a rumor going around that the Rockets were offering four 1st round picks (+whatever to make salary work) for Butler early in the season. I kinda doubt that it was a real offer and Thibs wasn't going to trade Butler away for future assets as he was still in win now mode. Plus the four first round picks would have to been spread out over many years and it was likely that none of them would be lottery picks...

But do you Houston fans regret not doing whatever it took to get Butler? He'd be almost the perfect compliment to Paul and Harden and could have easily taken over the "clutch" moments.

Without even looking at the salaries would you guys have been comfortable with sending back Tucker + Capela (we could eliminate the first round picks in this trade scenario) if you knew that you would be guaranteed a spot in the Finals? And please answer this one honestly. Losing Capela and Tucker would obviously suck but if it made your team better (at least in the immediate short term and lets say up to 3 years after the trade) would you do it?

I'm 99% convinced that Paul, Harden and Butler would have beaten the Warriors. I'll always hate Butler but I can't deny his talent or the fact that he is one of the clutchest mother****ers in the league.

Ben Simmons 25
05-11-2019, 11:49 AM
If that deal were actually on the table, Thib is beyond a moron for not doing.

The Rockets still probably lose that series with him. He's not worth four future first round picks. There are less than a handful of players in the league, if any, that you could say ARE worth that, and Jimmy Butler isn't one of them.

bigkingsfan
05-11-2019, 12:08 PM
They didn't want to give up Tucker.

Wolves declined Gordon and the picks.

DMAVS41
05-11-2019, 12:36 PM
Doubt it was real, but Morey has to answer for not building out the depth of this team.

Did the same thing last year to a lesser extent, and it likely cost them both series.

They really needed to do better than the limited bench they had.

Can't build perfect teams, but Shump/Green/Nene as your 7 through 9 players is really weak for a team with championship aspirations.

PeroAntic
05-11-2019, 12:38 PM
Thibs got a good return for Butler in Covington and Saric, but Cov got injured.

And Gordon and Tucker are more important for Dantoni's system than Jimmy would have been.

So no from both sides.