PDA

View Full Version : Best of 7 for the next 3 years. Vote.

elementally morale
05-12-2019, 10:51 PM
So.

You have to build a team. You have to select first. Rest of team is unknown, coach and conference are unknown. Rules are 2019. You get 6 points for championship, and 3 for making (but not necessarily winning) Conference Finals. One for making the playoffs.

You have three years to accumulate points. The next three. Players are as of now but healthy.

Pick one.

Also: how many points?

elementally morale
05-12-2019, 10:59 PM
I voted Curry.

elementally morale
05-12-2019, 11:08 PM
I have Curry. 10 points. One ring, one Conference finals and one playoffs. Maybe... 12 points. One ring, 2 CF.

NBAGOAT
05-12-2019, 11:12 PM
i picked giannis because curry is a little old and has some injury issues. Dont know about kawhi going all out for a whole season and he might have to on a random team. As much as people will force the narrative that his team is full of scrubs and tbf they look that way scoring wise some games, he replaced derozan on a 59 win team that also upgraded from Jonas to Gasol.

Think it's ridiculous to expect a championship however without any other known info. Conference finals and two playoff appearances would be pretty good so 5 points

warriorfan
05-12-2019, 11:13 PM
Chef Dingo

Loco 50
05-12-2019, 11:14 PM
The two smartest, most talented, unselfish players on this list are Jokic and Kawhi, in my opinion.

As a Spurs fan, I know Kiwi will fvck my franchise, therefore my selection is Jokic with no regrets.

elementally morale
05-12-2019, 11:18 PM
In order, I'd select them as follows:

1) Curry
2) Jokic
3) Kawhi
4) Giannis
5) Durant
6) Embiid
7) LeBron

Mr.GOAT2408
05-12-2019, 11:20 PM
Curry is 31 and will be 32 in the next postseason

He's trending downwards whereas most of the others are trending upwards

I picked Giannis, he's 24 and he should likely trend upwards

Ben Simmons 25
05-12-2019, 11:45 PM
If we were talking this year alone, I'm picking Curry no question.

Giannis is still moving up the chart... Curry has no where to go but down since he's at the top.

Because it's a next 3 years question and we're building from scratch, I gotta go with Giannis.

Giannis, Kawhi & Curry were the only three in consideration, for what it's worth.

Ben Simmons 25
05-12-2019, 11:46 PM
Curry is 31 and will be 32 in the next postseason

He's trending downwards whereas most of the others are trending upwards

I picked Giannis, he's 24 and he should likely trend upwards

Yep, this is roughly my line of thinking as well, though I'm also sure we're seeing peak Kawhi this year if not 2 years ago right before he got hurt, we've already seen peak LeBron, we've already seen peak KD years ago...

Embiid's health disqualifies him immediately.

Jokic is fat. No.

The only one that's actually trending upward is Giannis and he's probably winning MVP this year. Embiid is also trending up but his health makes him a wildcard.

elementally morale
05-12-2019, 11:48 PM
Giannis, Kawhi & Curry were the only three in consideration, for what it's worth.

Pretty much the same. I have Jokic in that group being the only difference.

Ben Simmons 25
05-12-2019, 11:48 PM
Which also raises an interesting point...

I'm pretty sure Giannis has higher trade value right now than anyone in the league and he probably will for years.

elementally morale
05-12-2019, 11:54 PM
Which also raises an interesting point...

I'm pretty sure Giannis has higher trade value right now than anyone in the league and he probably will for years.

Best trade value I think is LeBron. You are selling everything for 3 years regardless of winning. So if it is a business and I'm an owner I'd want LeBron. Build a team, make the playoffs. make a conference finals. Count my dollars.

Being a GM however... I'm going either Curry or Jokic. The ultimate team players. I can surround them with virtually anyone.

Ben Simmons 25
05-12-2019, 11:57 PM
Best trade value I think is LeBron. You are selling everything for 3 years regardless of winning. So if it is a business and I'm an owner I'd want LeBron. Build a team, make the playoffs. make a conference finals. Count my dollars.

Being a GM however... I'm going either Curry or Jokic. The ultimate team players. I can surround them with virtually anyone.

What?

If Milwaukee decided to trade Giannis, they could get a bigger package of players and picks than any other single star could fetch anywhere else in the league.

LeBron would not pull as big of a haul as Giannis... not heading into year 17 for LeBron, heh.

I'm not talking about money.

Denver would trade Jokic for Giannis.

GS... probably wouldn't trade Curry for Giannis... but give that a year or two and the answer changes. On top of that, again, Giannis would pull more in a trade than Curry would.

elementally morale
05-13-2019, 12:00 AM
What?

If Milwaukee decided to trade Giannis, they could get a bigger package of players and picks than any other single star could fetch anywhere else in the league.

LeBron would not pull as big of a haul as Giannis... not heading into year 17 for LeBron, heh.

Sure. As far as trading goes if a GM pulls the trigger LeBron may not even be top 5 at this point. But if I'm an owner... I'd pay Kobe Bean Bryant top dollars to be a bench player and missing the playoffs over... Jokic leading the team to the Finals.

Ben Simmons 25
05-13-2019, 12:02 AM
Sure. As far as trading goes if a GM pulls the trigger LeBron may not even be top 5 at this point. But if I'm an owner... I'd pay Kobe Bean Bryant top dollars to be a bench player and missing the playoffs over... Jokic leading the team to the Finals.

Kobe on the bench wouldn't sell out arenas on a losing team for just any and all teams in the league... the Lakers are different... they sell tickets no matter what. It's the same with the Knicks.

Put retired Kobe on... the Bucks... from a few years ago when they were utter shit... and there's no way that the Bucks are selling more tickets than a surging Denver squad with Jokic.

elementally morale
05-13-2019, 12:03 AM
I'm not talking about money.

So you edited your post before my answer. Fine.

If money is not an issue... just results... see my original list:

Curry
Jokic
Kawhi
Giannis

Kawhi and Giannis you have to build around carefully. Especially Giannis. He is very LeBron-esque in that manner. May win a lot but you have to build for him. With Curry or Jokic it doesn't really matter. Kawhi I'm not sure.

Ben Simmons 25
05-13-2019, 12:06 AM
So you edited your post before my answer. Fine.

If money is not an issue... just results... see my original list:

Curry
Jokic
Kawhi
Giannis

Kawhi and Giannis you have to build around carefully. Especially Giannis. He is very LeBron-esque in that manner. May win a lot but you have to build for him. With Curry or Jokic it doesn't really matter. Kawhi I'm not sure.

Giannis just needs half competent shooters. He doesn't even need elite ones.

See LeBron at his peak.

Hell, the Lakers this year probably win an additional 15 games if anyone on the whole ****ing squad could shoot, lol.

Point being, I think you're overstating the need for a certain squad around Giannis. This didn't become true of LeBron until much later in his career when he couldn't easily break down defenses by himself, though he's obviously always done best with shooters.

elementally morale
05-13-2019, 12:11 AM
Giannis just needs half competent shooters. He doesn't even need elite ones.

See LeBron at his peak.

Hell, the Lakers this year probably win an additional 15 games if anyone on the whole ****ing squad could shoot, lol.

We are going to see this one. Giannis. He already has half competent players on his team. If he wins a ring or two in a row... you are right. I think he will not. Not this year or next anyway.

As for LeBron... he needed pretty much everyone. He is not too far away from being a one time champion. And he did have some quality teammates for that one. The other two.. he had either quality teammates or good luck or both. He has 3 rings, not 10. He could easily have 1. Or 4. But he needed teammates. Good ones. (Yeah, everyone does.)

But let's forget LeBron and Kobe. Both are done (to a different extent).

Who would you have on your team tomorrow?

Giannis, Jokic or Embiid? Age is roughly the same. Success as of now is roughly the same.

Ben Simmons 25
05-13-2019, 12:12 AM
Giannis...

Embiid if health wasn't a factor.

I know Jokic is a baller but I haven't watched a tremendous amount of him and I can't get over how fat he is.

elementally morale
05-13-2019, 12:16 AM
Giannis...

Embiid if health wasn't a factor.

I know Jokic is a baller but I haven't watched a tremendous amount of him and I can't get over how fat he is.

Jokic is playing great. I'm european so I like traditional basketball. I'm not that much a fan of individual play... even though I like a good dunk from Vince or a buzzer beater from Kobe.

But I always preferred players like Nash, Hakeem, Bird, Magic... skilled team players. Over the Shaq-like forces of nature. Jokic I like because he IS fat. He can't run. Can't jump. But he can play. Very entertaining. Like Duncan.