PDA

View Full Version : NBA lottery system failed again

bluechox2
05-14-2019, 09:38 PM
Instead of distributing the wealth amongst the worst teams that actually needed it, 1 borderline playoff teams wins it and another team that was top 3 in west at one point crack the top 4 in the draft...

And some conspiracy with lakers getting all these top 4 picks

FireDavidKahn
05-14-2019, 09:45 PM
Actually it worked better then ever. More chaos = less tanking.

Meticode
05-14-2019, 09:49 PM
This is exactly what I thought. Ain't no way the Pelicans thought they were getting that pick. They hoped for it, but they bet it wouldn't of happened. The Top 3 teams had 14% each to get the #1 pick, and only one of them stayed in the Top 3. This was aw in today against tanking.

Kblaze8855
05-14-2019, 09:49 PM
Go run the lottery simulators. You get a result someone would complain about like 90% of the time.

http://www.tankathon.com/

I only had to do it 3 times for the lakers to win it. One of the others they got #3.

Two more times and the Knick or bulls won all 3. Then I got Memphis.

The math alone makes it look rigged or terrible more often than not for someone looking for that

bison
05-14-2019, 09:53 PM
No more tanking :rockon:

TheCorporation
05-14-2019, 10:03 PM

Exactly

sdot_thadon
05-14-2019, 10:21 PM
yeah, i think it works perfectly when you don't expect the results. (i will give the side eye if davis ends up leaving and this is a present to soften the blow however)

bluechox2
05-14-2019, 10:21 PM
It hurts the truly awful teams like the Knicks, cavs and suns... we had no business winning any games... I’m grateful we got a top 3 talent at least... cavs and suns will still be at the bottom next year so it has failed even out the teams

UK2K
05-14-2019, 10:33 PM

No it doesnt.

This wont prevent any team from tanking.

Spurs m8
05-14-2019, 10:34 PM
Whats with every cvnt complaining lol

Deal with it

imdaman99
05-14-2019, 11:26 PM
Sure, let's keep bad teams bad. Because places like New Orleans and Memphis need stars :rolleyes:

This shit is not working. Knicks are a legit bad team. Did they tank? Sure, for once they tanked properly. In the years before, they won some games at the end of the season that led to them getting worse picks. Did they get rewarded for that? NO. They NEVER move up in the fking draft. I don't give a shit about Ewing, that was more than 30 years ago.

Meanwhile the Lakers move up in the draft EVERY FKING year.

iamgine
05-14-2019, 11:40 PM
Maybe just draft, trade and develop players well, like Denver or Spurs. No need to hope for luck in landing a once in a generation talent like Zion that will bolt for the Lakers/Miami after 4 seasons.

bluechox2
05-14-2019, 11:45 PM
Teams will still tank to get that 14% chance now but this has made borderline playoff teams to have near similar odds at a top 4 pick now... and chances r shitty teams will be shitty longer, and less desirable teams will luck out at attracting free agents and teams in both categories like the suns and cavs end up losing the most now

DukeDelonte13
05-15-2019, 08:12 AM
eh it's imperfect now and it was imperfect before.

Obviously im a cavs fan and a bit disappointed but its not terrible. I'd feel real bad if I'm a suns fan though. That has to really suck.

And to people saying, "well just draft diamonds in the rough and develop them and hope they turn into superstars" the odds of that plan panning out is god awful. It's not hard to build a middling team with that model but you aren't going to win championships without elite talent.

DukeDelonte13
05-15-2019, 08:15 AM
Maybe just draft, trade and develop players well, like Denver or Spurs. No need to hope for luck in landing a once in a generation talent like Zion that will bolt for the Lakers/Miami after 4 seasons.

Denver hasn't won sh*t and Spurs most successful era was centered around Tim Duncan.

tontoz
05-15-2019, 08:53 AM
The good part about the new system is that it isn't consistently rewarding teams with bad management.

Jasper
05-15-2019, 08:56 AM
I still like the bottom dwellers tourney ....

Who wins wins the 1st pick.

DukeDelonte13
05-15-2019, 09:10 AM
The good part about the new system is that it isn't consistently rewarding teams with bad management.

Cause the Pelicans, Lakers, and Knicks are just great examples of well run franchises.

:biggums:

tontoz
05-15-2019, 09:32 AM
Cause the Pelicans, Lakers, and Knicks are just great examples of well run franchises.

:biggums:

You do realize that the Knicks fans are pissed right now, right? Lakers got the 4th pick. So what?

The Pelicans won a playoff series just last season after losing Cousins midseason.

The Cavs won the first pick 4 times since 2003. They have been horribly managed yet have been rewarded time and again for sucking.

DukeDelonte13
05-15-2019, 09:39 AM
You do realize that the Knicks fans are pissed right now, right? Lakers got the 4th pick. So what?

The Pelicans won a playoff series just last season after losing Cousins midseason.

The Cavs won the first pick 4 times since 2003. They have been horribly managed yet have been rewarded time and again for sucking.

You are talking out of your ass. A team wins a playoff series and that's supposed to signify a well managed team while 4 straight finals appearances and a championship is horribly managed? Ok.

tontoz
05-15-2019, 09:52 AM
You are talking out of your ass. A team wins a playoff series and that's supposed to signify a well managed team while 4 straight finals appearances and a championship is horribly managed? Ok.

I never said the Pelicans were a well managed team. That is just something you made up. They haven't been the dumpster fire that the Knicks and Cavs have been.

The Cavs have been horribly managed but got lucky landing the 1st pick to take Lebron, got lucky to land 3 subsequent 1st picks (although the Baron trade was a good move), and got lucky when Lebron came back to an owner who trashed him publicly.

The Cavs had 3 straight sub 25 win seasons after Lebron left the first time. They used a first pick on Anthony Bennett. :oldlol:

sammichoffate
05-15-2019, 10:07 AM
Good thing it failed the Raptors, Bucks, Pacers, Jazz, and Nuggets then.

Nikola_
05-15-2019, 10:14 AM
Silver bring back folder envelopes ASAP

Meticode
05-15-2019, 10:30 AM
Good thing it failed the Raptors, Bucks, Pacers, Jazz, and Nuggets then.
Bucks won their drafts because of outside-the-box picks and good scouting. Giannis was #15 that year. If you look at all the players drafted he is by far the best player right now out of that draft. Players picked ahead of him...

Bennett
Oladipo
Porter
Zeller
Len
Noel
McLemore
Caldwell-Pope
Burke
McCollum
Carter-Williams
Adams
Olynyk
Muhammad

...the best players on that list are Adams, McCollum and Oladipo, and Giannis is literally two tiers above those guys.

Wally450
05-15-2019, 11:34 AM

Bingo. The Suns were dogshit the whole year and got the 6th pick. Can't tank because there's no guarantee you get the 1st pick or even top 3.

Miles and Miles
05-15-2019, 11:49 AM
Much better than it was before. Less tanking (won't stop it) to get REALLY bad. Just aim for sort of bad at least and not completely throw games. Top picks get a chance to possibly not be with the worst franchises ever that forgot how to develop players (Knicks, Suns, etc).

TheCorporation
05-15-2019, 11:50 AM
Much better than it was before. Less tanking (won't stop it) to get REALLY bad. Just aim for sort of bad at least and not completely throw games. Top picks get a chance to possibly not be with the worst franchises ever that forgot how to develop players (Knicks, Suns, etc).

+1

High IQ

Miles and Miles
05-15-2019, 12:02 PM
+1

High IQ

Thanks. Years of being a Kings fan has taught me plenty about the draft.

bullettooth
05-15-2019, 12:11 PM
It's pretty ridiculous that Los Angeles got gifted such a high pick, but the good thing is it's a 3 man draft, everyone outside of that is a wash. Lakers fans will have to endure many more years of being hot garbage... even with LeBron.

UK2K
05-15-2019, 12:24 PM
Bingo. The Suns were dogshit the whole year and got the 6th pick. Can't tank because there's no guarantee you get the 1st pick or even top 3.

But there is a guarentee they wont be competing for a title so why not go all out and give yourself the best possible chance at the #1 pick?

**** trying to win games. The 10th worst team only needs to lose a handful of games to have an equal shot at the #1 pick so...

They're going to lose them.

Miles and Miles
05-15-2019, 12:35 PM
But there is a guarentee they wont be competing for a title so why not go all out and give yourself the best possible chance at the #1 pick?

**** trying to win games. The 10th worst team only needs to lose a handful of games to have an equal shot at the #1 pick so...

They're going to lose them.

It's not championship or nothing. I know it's popular to say that but there are plenty of teams that have realistic goals that don't involve a championship yet. You don't typically go from lottery to championship. For bottom dwellers the goal the next season could be just make the playoffs, develop, not get fired (coach).

theballerFKA Ace
05-15-2019, 12:49 PM
Works better than ever :pimp:

Derka
05-15-2019, 12:50 PM
I think it worked beautifully. Tanking is a joke.

TheCorporation
05-15-2019, 12:51 PM
I think it worked beautifully. Tanking is a joke.

Exactly. How do people not realize this...

Miles and Miles
05-15-2019, 12:53 PM
Exactly. How do people not realize this...

I think people own fandom get in the way. If they Kings had a pick in the draft I might have felt differently. If I were a Knicks fan I would be pissed.

UK2K
05-15-2019, 01:35 PM
It's not championship or nothing. I know it's popular to say that but there are plenty of teams that have realistic goals that don't involve a championship yet. You don't typically go from lottery to championship. For bottom dwellers the goal the next season could be just make the playoffs, develop, not get fired (coach).

There is no team in the NBA who says "we want to get to the 10th worst record this season".

And by the ASB, any team with the 10th worst record will have no incentive to continue winning games knowing they only need to lose a little bit more to have a shot at the #1 pick.

Before, youd have to go all out to lose that much. Now, you only need to lose a little bit.

iamgine
05-15-2019, 01:58 PM
Denver hasn't won sh*t and Spurs most successful era was centered around Tim Duncan.
Yet they are much better than many other teams. When Tim was old, Spurs keep on being good.

Miles and Miles
05-15-2019, 01:59 PM
There is no team in the NBA who says "we want to get to the 10th worst record this season".

And by the ASB, any team with the 10th worst record will have no incentive to continue winning games knowing they only need to lose a little bit more to have a shot at the #1 pick.

Before, youd have to go all out to lose that much. Now, you only need to lose a little bit.

I agree that full tanking is decreased but I do agree that if you only need to lose a few to get to 9th worst then they will go for it. But we don't have to watch these teams go full tank hopefully. It's miserable for fans, season ticket holders, etc. I would think that the Knicks would love to make it up to 10th worst this year. 17 wins up to 36 would be something to strive for.

bluechox2
05-15-2019, 11:23 PM
for those that say tanking has been fixed...

NOLA sat AD for the 2nd half of the season and tanked hard to get as low as possible...

Lebums lakers tanked and sat everyone in the last month....

both teams got great picks over flat out loser teams who got bumped out...

so another win for the tank