PDA

View Full Version : The biggest shame about the 2017 Spurs..

ArbitraryWater
05-16-2019, 02:50 AM
Is not that they didn't beat the Warriors.

But that we never got to see those Kawhi-led Spurs at full flow.

That was their peak, and we were robbed of some beautiful basketball.

scuzzy
05-16-2019, 03:03 AM
2016 Spurs were the pinnacle imo

People forget that they won 67 games that year that was shadowed by the glamour GSW's 73 run. You can argue that was their peak

People also forget that it was KD and Westbrook who spanked them in the Semi's

2016 was a wild year

TheCorporation
05-16-2019, 03:07 AM
Zaza ruined it all :mad:

ArbitraryWater
05-16-2019, 03:12 AM
2016 Spurs were the pinnacle imo

People forget that they won 67 games that year that was shadowed by the glamour GSW's 73 run. You can argue that was their peak

People also forget that it was KD and Westbrook who spanked them in the Semi's

2016 was a wild year

Record and SRS would say so.

But the 2017 team was definitely better IMO just because of how much Leonard improved.

West was a 3-team conference in 2016, wild West.. KD didn't just leave OKC, he joined 1 of those 3 teams, leaving the others short handed and the conference gutted.

Pop worked wonders and kept them competitive.

And then of course Leonard remained out 17/18... It all came together.

hold this L
05-16-2019, 04:08 AM
That Spurs team had zero chance to beat the Warriors. Zero. Literally the only reason they had such a long run in game 1 was hubris from the Warriors, which happens when all are fit once every few games.

2017 Warriors is probably the best team of all time.

hold this L
05-16-2019, 04:14 AM
I do wish Kawhi stayed with the Spurs though. Best organization in the league with one of the goat coaches. They just needed to replace LMA with someone who is a better pairing with Kawhi.

Kawhi needed an elite playmaker to be successful. Even someone like Kemba on the Spurs would have been amazing to watch.

soots
05-16-2019, 04:18 AM
That 2017 team was a very hallow team. It felt like a 55w team that overacheived. As a spurs fan i never felt competitive. It was GSW and other teams getting ticket sales in the post season

nayte
05-16-2019, 04:20 AM
Could he wrong but it seems he wanted to be the main offence like he is now with the raptors while pop didn't want that. Not sure just going by what I have read

hold this L
05-16-2019, 04:22 AM
Could he wrong but it seems he wanted to be the main offence like he is now with the raptors while pop didn't want that. Not sure just going by what I have read
As they say, it's the quiet ones you have to watch out for. I read the same but don't know how true the rumors are.

nayte
05-16-2019, 04:25 AM
As they say, it's the quiet ones you have to watch out for. I read the same but don't know how true the rumors are.

That they do.. And yeah we might have read crap but he seems to like taking all those shots. Lol. As he should don't get me wrong. He is their best player

ArbitraryWater
05-16-2019, 04:31 AM
That Spurs team had zero chance to beat the Warriors. Zero. Literally the only reason they had such a long run in game 1 was hubris from the Warriors, which happens when all are fit once every few games.

2017 Warriors is probably the best team of all time.

I'm sure that's what you said during game 1, you mug. Stop being insecure. No one made it about who would have won.

Yes, they probably are.

hold this L
05-16-2019, 04:57 AM
That Spurs team was never close to an all time great team like the 14' team. Reality seems to hurt your feelings.

ArbitraryWater
05-16-2019, 05:10 AM
That Spurs team was never close to an all time great team like the 14' team. Reality seems to hurt your feelings.

why would the 2017 spurs not being ATG hurt my feelings

why would the 2017 spurs have me emotionally involved at all lol

ArbitraryWater
05-16-2019, 05:16 AM
Oh, the 2017 Spurs were 3-1 against the Warriors..

Yeah the evidence pretty much points towards them winning that series, and I wasn't even gonna talk about it, but **** boy here made me do it :lol

All blowout wins.

25 point crushing at home in game 1.

Are there any other examples of winning game 1 on the road by 25 points and not making it a close series?

That kinda shuts that whole "zero chance" thing down.

ImKobe
05-16-2019, 05:17 AM

2014 Spurs doesn't have a single superstar on the roster. 2017 Spurs have Kawhi in his prime.

People already forget how the Mavs almost upset the 2014 Spurs in the first round. Mavs lost 3 games in that series by 4-6 points.

2017 Spurs were up 25 points @Oracle against arguably the best GSW teams ever assembled before Kawhi's injury and he was balling just as much as he's been in these Playoffs. He ended up averaging 28/8/5 on 67%TS in that post-season. He was more efficient and much better defensively in that run compared to this year, that WCF could have been another great all-time series.

hold this L
05-16-2019, 08:35 AM
2014 Spurs doesn't have a single superstar on the roster. 2017 Spurs have Kawhi in his prime.

People already forget how the Mavs almost upset the 2014 Spurs in the first round. Mavs lost 3 games in that series by 4-6 points.

2017 Spurs were up 25 points @Oracle against arguably the best GSW teams ever assembled before Kawhi's injury and he was balling just as much as he's been in these Playoffs. He ended up averaging 28/8/5 on 67%TS in that post-season. He was more efficient and much better defensively in that run compared to this year, that WCF could have been another great all-time series.
Imagine comparing the Mavs Spurs example to 17 Warriors :lol

You know what game 1 Kawhi was balling out and the Spurs crushed their opponent? The previous year vs OKC. 32 point win. Got waxed right after. That team's chance to beat the Warriors would be if KD and Curry simultaneously had a series ending injury in game 2. We've also seen Celtics, Nets, Orleans just this year alone to win game 1 and then get clowned on right after. People are delusional but can think whatever they want. Kawhi can't hold Timmy D's jockstrap let alone putting him on some special level. Has achieved fvck all since he got out Timmy's shadow.

Proctor
05-16-2019, 09:48 AM
That Spurs team would have beat the Warriors in an "easy" 6. Kawhi was on a mission and making the Warriors look stupid.

ArbitraryWater
05-16-2019, 10:35 AM
Imagine comparing the Mavs Spurs example to 17 Warriors :lol

You know what game 1 Kawhi was balling out and the Spurs crushed their opponent? The previous year vs OKC. 32 point win. Got waxed right after. That team's chance to beat the Warriors would be if KD and Curry simultaneously had a series ending injury in game 2. We've also seen Celtics, Nets, Orleans just this year alone to win game 1 and then get clowned on right after. People are delusional but can think whatever they want. Kawhi can't hold Timmy D's jockstrap let alone putting him on some special level. Has achieved fvck all since he got out Timmy's shadow.

u extra

extra dumb

That Spurs team would have beat the Warriors in an "easy" 6. Kawhi was on a mission and making the Warriors look stupid.

could very well be

gsw looked confused as fck until Kawhi went out

mad confused

KD had that opening day look on his face

NBAGOAT
05-16-2019, 03:28 PM
The spurs had decent struggles with Memphis and a pre Paul rockets, come on now. Aldridge is never consistent in the playoffs and had his best game game 1. He could

ArbitraryWater
05-16-2019, 03:44 PM
[QUOTE=NBAGOAT]The spurs had decent struggles with Memphis and a pre Paul rockets, come on now. Aldridge is never consistent in the playoffs and had his best game game 1. He could

NBAGOAT
05-16-2019, 03:52 PM
Memphis was a great team, who didnt struggle with them?

Even the '16 Warriors went 6 games with them with a rusty/bad Conley.

Terrible example.

Pre-paul Rockets were an avalanche of a team... the Rockets were good before Paul.

The Spurs then blew them out by 40 without Leonard...

Do you not respect that result?

You used to be a smarter poster IMO.

i do respect it but it's one game and everyone seems to agree that was hou choking more anyway. they also got blown out in game 1 with kawhi, isnt that much less relevant. They were good but not nearly as good the rockets with paul. They have the profile of a fringe contender(5.8srs 55 wins). Very good but usually not close enough to title level. Even so, certainly not on the level of 16 okc based on srs or just the team on paper.

You cant compare 17 memphis to 15 memphis. Conley was the only one to get better. Gasol and randolph had declined and role players got significantly worse. I mean they dropped from 55 wins to 43 and srs dropped from 3.6 to 1. Come on now

ArbitraryWater
05-16-2019, 04:00 PM
i do respect it but it's one game and everyone seems to agree that was hou choking more anyway. they also got blown out in game 1 with kawhi, isnt that much less relevant. They were good but not nearly as good the rockets with paul. They have the profile of a fringe contender(5.8srs 55 wins). Very good but usually not close enough to title level. Even so, certainly not on the level of 16 okc based on srs or just the team on paper.

You cant compare 17 memphis to 15 memphis. Conley was the only one to get better. Gasol and randolph had declined and role players got significantly worse. I mean they dropped from 55 wins to 43 and srs dropped from 3.6 to 1. Come on now

how do you choke a game by 40 points lol

gasol hadnt declined at all. He was far better in 2017. LOL.

They shot 45% in the 2017 series opposed to a paltry 41% in the 2015 series.

The Spurs outshot the Warriors as well.

It was a higher quality series.

The potential was there all along, but so many post-season injuries get tiring and the record takes a hit.

NBAGOAT
05-16-2019, 04:08 PM
how do you choke a game by 40 points lol

gasol hadnt declined at all. He was far better in 2017. LOL.

They shot 45% in the 2017 series opposed to a paltry 41% in the 2015 series.

The Spurs outshot the Warriors as well.

It was a higher quality series.

The potential was there all along, but so many post-season injuries get tiring and the record takes a hit.

i disagree. 3pt shooting helped bolster his offense but you're downplaying the defensive side.