PDA

View Full Version : If basketball didn't keep stats

90sgoat
05-17-2019, 05:18 PM
And you had to argue just from the eye test like in soccer.

I don't think there could be any doubt that the top 5 would be MJ, Bird, Magic, Shaq, Wilt. Anyone who watched those guys were just blow away by the sheer talent and domination.

Then you'd have the big winners like Duncan and Russel. Hard to argue against so many rings.

Then I imagine people would get their "these guys got the moves" players. Here I count Kobe and Hakeem who dazzled their fans.

Then there is a big list of players where you say "they were good, but never quite good enough"

Sir Charles, Karl Malone, Jerry West, Hondo, Moses Malone, KG maybe Lebron

What do you think?

ArbitraryWater
05-17-2019, 05:20 PM
And you had to argue just from the eye test like in soccer.

https://media.giphy.com/media/5b5OU7aUekfdSAER5I/giphy.gif

And1AllDay
05-17-2019, 05:29 PM
Slowdown 3baLLLLLL alt you arent fooling anyone...:facepalm

elementally morale
05-17-2019, 05:29 PM
What if there were no stats and no championships? Just games. Scores for every game, yes... just to keep it competitive throughout the game. But all past scores would be erased at the end of each game. So you are left with the eye test and nothing else.

Post 1980...

Magic
Bird
Jordan
Hakeem
Shaq
Kobe
Curry
Duncan
Robinson
LeBron

More or less in order.

And1AllDay
05-17-2019, 05:30 PM
What about another what if

What if OP wasn't a f@ggot then would we have less of these dumbass threads :oldlol:

RRR3
05-17-2019, 05:33 PM
Another dreadful post from one of the biggest jokes of this board.

Manny98
05-17-2019, 05:36 PM
What about another what if

What if OP wasn't a f@ggot then would we have less of these dumbass threads :oldlol:
:oldlol:

And1AllDay
05-17-2019, 05:36 PM

3baLLLLL is on a roll today and yes this is one of his alts

https://i.postimg.cc/59z9ZgFY/3ballyikesss.jpg

FKAri goat spotted it right away too :no:

And1AllDay
05-17-2019, 05:37 PM
:oldlol:

:oldlol: :oldlol: :cheers:

Bron boys win again :banana:

elementally morale
05-17-2019, 05:38 PM

It's not a bad thread. It's an original idea, actually.

It comes down to this: Why are you watching the games? To see stats? I don't think so. Another reason is this: I want my team to win (it all). It's better... but after a while you just don't care that much. At least I don't.

I watch the games and follow the players lives to be entertained. It's not a bad thing. You listen to music or watch movies, read books... to be entertained. If it's stats that entertain you... fine. If it's something else, that's also fine. I'm pretty sure you don't listen to 'the best music'. You go with what you like.

And1AllDay
05-17-2019, 05:39 PM
It's not a bad thread. It's an original idea, actually.

It comes down to this: Why are you watching the games? To see stats? I don't think so. Another reason is this: I want my team to win (it all). It's better... but after a while you just don't care that much. At least I don't.

I watch the games and follow the players lives to be entertained. It's not a bad thing. You listen to music or watch movies, read books... to be entertained. If it's stats that entertain you... fine. If it's something else, that's also fine. I'm pretty sure you don't listen to 'the best music'. You go with what you like.

Eye test is like checking out that girl that looks hot becos she has tons of makeup and spanx to hide her fat rolls but when the makeup comes off and the spanx comes off and you see her true stats well lets just say

not good :eek:

So who is considered good with eye test but in reality not that good I can think of a few right now

elementally morale
05-17-2019, 05:46 PM
Eye test is like checking out that girl that looks hot becos she has tons of makeup and spanx to hide her fat rolls but when the makeup comes off and the spanx comes off and you see her true stats well lets just say

not good :eek:

So who is considered good with eye test but in reality not that good I can think of a few right now

I don't know. As long as you don't actually want to go to bed with that girl... eye test is fine for me.

All this talk about who is better is quite meaningless. If you want to be entertained then who entertains you best is the best for you. If winning it all entertains you... LeBron is not that good. There were many better. If stats are your thing, Bird or Magic are not that good. Etc. It all comes down to your personal preference. As for me, I don't watch the game for stats. I honestly don't care. Watching Kevin McHale in the post or Nash run a team is fun. So I just like it.

And1AllDay
05-17-2019, 05:48 PM
Heres what your eye test does

https://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2015/08/20/06/2B83129B00000578-0-image-a-2_1440048173371.jpg

Just a fat chick with spanx that tricked you

No thank I'll take the facts. Take the clothes off and lemme see it girrrrrl

elementally morale
05-17-2019, 05:52 PM

https://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2015/08/20/06/2B83129B00000578-0-image-a-2_1440048173371.jpg

Sure. If you have personal plans with someone... I can understand that. But as long as I see a girl only on a poster or movie... I don't care.

The Death Star isn't there. Batman can't really fly. It's just an actor and CGI. So what?

72-10
05-17-2019, 05:56 PM
Yeah. It's a difficult top 5 to argue with, except I'd probably supplant Wilt with Kobe, considering I'd notice all the winning going on despite quickly picking up on Kobe's mounting missed shot totals. Iverson would probably get some mentions, and Curry would be entering the fray.

Also, Hakeem might be put on before Shaq despite not winning as much, and the 4 would probably be KG.

bullettooth
05-17-2019, 05:57 PM

Wheels, you'd get fooled easily.

https://media.giphy.com/media/gK5gp3nc6tF37hX5VJ/giphy.gif

And1AllDay
05-17-2019, 05:59 PM
Wheels, you'd get fooled easily.

https://media.giphy.com/media/gK5gp3nc6tF37hX5VJ/giphy.gif

Keep using that eye test buddy boy :cheers:

You can have the fattys in spanx :oldlol:

72-10
05-17-2019, 06:07 PM
Considering that Curry can't defend well, can't rebound, can't block shots and has trouble finishing at the rim, there's no way Curry is one of them.

90sgoat
05-17-2019, 06:27 PM
3baLLLLL is on a roll today and yes this is one of his alts

https://i.postimg.cc/59z9ZgFY/3ballyikesss.jpg

FKAri goat spotted it right away too :no:

And1AllDay (autonomous poster), why does Kenneth have me on his ignore list thinking I am this Simon character?

Do you feel like reality is slipping baby boy?

Justin...

90sgoat
05-17-2019, 06:29 PM
Yeah. It's a difficult top 5 to argue with, except I'd probably supplant Wilt with Kobe, considering I'd notice all the winning going on despite quickly picking up on Kobe's mounting missed shot totals. Iverson would probably get some mentions, and Curry would be entering the fray.

Also, Hakeem might be put on before Shaq despite not winning as much, and the 4 would probably be KG.

Yes Iverson would be able to come into the "he's got moves" tier with Kobe and Hakeem and yes Curry.

KG is very overrated though, Lebron tier. KG was never entertaining to me and honestly was a non-assertive offensive players. Really was more like AD in impact despite the gaudy stats.

NBAGOAT
05-17-2019, 06:40 PM
KG is very overrated though, Lebron tier. KG was never entertaining to me and honestly was a non-assertive offensive players. Really was more like AD in impact despite the gaudy stats.

Ok so your eye test is limited to isolation scorers lol. As the KD/Curry stuff has shown, maybe we as fans can overrate that a little. As someone on twitter said if you cant see how positive of an impact draymond is, then you have a bad eye test. KG was better in almost every way. Impact is the last thing you want to argue about with KG, he's one of the more impactful of all time.

The Iron Fist
05-17-2019, 06:47 PM
Stats or no stats, Kareem>>>>everyone.

90sgoat
05-17-2019, 06:48 PM
Ok so your eye test is limited to isolation scorers lol. As the KD/Curry stuff has shown, maybe we as fans can overrate that a little. As someone on twitter said if you cant see how positive of an impact draymond is, then you have a bad eye test. KG was better in almost every way. Impact is the last thing you want to argue about with KG, he's one of the more impactful of all time.

Just have to disagree. KG lacked the ability to take over scoring. He got his points in the flow of the game like AD. Was not aggressively looking for his shot. This is also why Duncan is superior, because Duncan had no problem raising his scoring if needed.

KG scored above 25 in the playoffs only once.

Duncan did it twice.

KG scored above 20 in the playoffs 6 times out of 14 season.

Duncan did it 10/18 and scored 20+ for 10 straight seasons.

KG was not an impressive scorer, also only scored .478 FG%, despite being a 7 footer and taking no 3s. KGs shot selection on offense was essentially LMA.

ShawkFactory
05-17-2019, 06:51 PM
"they were good, but never quite good enough"

maybe Lebron
Long way to go for that one

tpols
05-17-2019, 07:08 PM
would be much better because winning style eye test would reign supreme.

and dudes that play for stats instead of winning wouldnt have ever developed the habit.

bigkingsfan
05-17-2019, 07:14 PM
It would be called Gymnastics

NBAGOAT
05-17-2019, 07:21 PM
Just have to disagree. KG lacked the ability to take over scoring. He got his points in the flow of the game like AD. Was not aggressively looking for his shot. This is also why Duncan is superior, because Duncan had no problem raising his scoring if needed.

KG scored above 25 in the playoffs only once.

Duncan did it twice.

KG scored above 20 in the playoffs 6 times out of 14 season.

Duncan did it 10/18 and scored 20+ for 10 straight seasons.

KG was not an impressive scorer, also only scored .478 FG%, despite being a 7 footer and taking no 3s. KGs shot selection on offense was essentially LMA.

i wont argue about duncan being a better scorer or player than kg, that's not what I responded to initially. I wont even argue about him being an unimpressive scorer but he's someone who score 20-25 during his prime, that's very good.

You say he has the shot selection of lamarcus sure but ignore how much of a defender, passer, and rebounder he is. Everyone always brings up their eye test yet for 80% of them, all that matters is how well they score in 1v1 situations(and they dont penalize misses internally enough either). Tbf it's what impresses me the most when I'm watching games too which is why i try to stay aware of my biases or blindspots.

bison
05-17-2019, 07:26 PM
3ball aka 90sgoat aka kblaze still winning :hammertime:

72-10
05-17-2019, 07:37 PM
It would be called Gymnastics

Major Acrobatics

ArbitraryWater
05-17-2019, 07:38 PM
does anyone ever look at a post-game stat sheet and be like, yo, this didnt reflect what happened at all?

doesnt really happen except for dude's shooting percentages that took like 2-3 end of quarter/shotclock heaves or did something outstanding on defense that didnt result in block or steal, but then thats captured by other stats, advanced ones.

kennethgriffen
05-17-2019, 07:42 PM
my top 5 based on the eye test is

#1 Kobe
#2 Jordan
#3 Bird
#4 Hakeem
#5 Durant

ArbitraryWater
05-17-2019, 07:43 PM
does anyone ever look at a post-game stat sheet and be like, yo, this didnt reflect what happened at all?

doesnt really happen except for dude's shooting percentages that took like 2-3 end of quarter/shotclock heaves or did something outstanding on defense that didnt result in block or steal, but then thats captured by other stats, advanced ones.

qft

Skip_Bayless
05-17-2019, 07:49 PM
I don't think anyone has LeBron in their top 5 if they saw guys like Bird, Magic, Jordan, Shaq, Duncan, Wilt, Russel, Kobe, Hakeem and had no stats. The only ones that would say otherwise are those who's opinions don't matter since they didn't see a majority of those players.

Skip_Bayless
05-17-2019, 07:53 PM

If you actually watched basketball you would understand that 8 points in a row by the same player that changes the momentum of a game is very different than another guy scoring 8 points at random moments.

kennethgriffen
05-17-2019, 07:54 PM
I don't think anyone has LeBron in their top 5 if they saw guys like Bird, Magic, Jordan, Shaq, Duncan, Wilt, Russel, Kobe, Hakeem and had no stats. The only ones that would say otherwise are those who's opinions don't matter since they didn't see a majority of those players.

pretty much.. only people under 30 have lebron high all time

i watched 90s basketball... i know how much tougher it was. it was a grind.. players had pride. they hated opponents.

i always wondered why nobody ever hip checked lebron on one of his drives... then i realized he was friends with everyone he was playing against. why would anyone wanna hurt their friend lol

Skip_Bayless
05-17-2019, 07:58 PM
pretty much.. only people under 30 have lebron high all time

i watched 90s basketball... i know how much tougher it was. it was a grind.. players had pride. they hated opponents.

i always wondered why nobody ever hip checked lebron on one of his drives... then i realized he was friends with everyone he was playing against. why would anyone wanna hurt their friend lol

Which is why Lebron's stats and guys that played in his era and after don't matter to begin with. Everyone is friends playing friendly ball with no rivalries so none of the accolades even matter compared to what was done by players that came before him. Jeff knows this and has no other choice but to accept it and live with such a fact. Puts a smile on my face whenever I mention it.

MaxPlayer
05-17-2019, 08:01 PM
I love how people refer to their subjective opinion "the eye test" as if that makes it anything more than their subjective opinion.

BarberSchool
05-17-2019, 08:06 PM
Illiterate MF's "who can't math" haaate stats.
Especially advanced stats.

They will look at you like you're twice as dumb as they actually are,
For saying sensible things like:

Trevor Ariza is extremely underrated.
Steve Francis was terribly overrated.
Etc.

Skip_Bayless
05-17-2019, 08:09 PM
I love how people refer to their subjective opinion "the eye test" as if that makes it anything more than their subjective opinion.

When you have a majority of the people all having the same subjective opinion that MJ is GOAT, it becomes majority opinion which makes LeBron stans squirm.

kennethgriffen
05-17-2019, 08:25 PM

i don't think you know how the eye transfers its information

LostCause
05-17-2019, 08:41 PM

Uh yeah, it happens regularly. How often do you hear

elementally morale
05-17-2019, 09:07 PM

Does it have to be 'more' than subjective though?

Best food? Subjective. Best sex? Subjective. Etc. Why should it be any different with basketball?