PDA

View Full Version : Perfect example why Curry is NOT the best shooter ever.

Hey Yo
05-21-2019, 10:48 AM
Last night he was called for traveling with like 10 seconds left with the score tied.

https://twitter.com/gifdsports/status/1130676690663936001

clip of the travel ^^^^^

If Steph was truly the GOAT shooter, he would not have felt the need to get outside of the 3pt line to feel more confident about the shot. Dirk, Bird or even KD wouldn't have felt the need to do so cause they're comfortable and confident from anywhere on the floor.

Curry almost lost the game cause he passed up a mid-range and felt the need to take a 3PA instead with the score tied. Lucky for him CJ missed his shot and went to OT.

Glad we can finally put the "Curry GOAT shooter" non-sense to rest.

warriorfan
05-21-2019, 10:50 AM
Damn, times are looking dark for Cavs fans

:lol

tontoz
05-21-2019, 10:51 AM
Last night he was called for traveling with like 10 seconds left with the score tied.

https://twitter.com/gifdsports/status/1130676690663936001

clip of the travel ^^^^^

If Steph was truly the GOAT shooter, he would not have felt the need to get outside of the 3pt line to feel more confident about the shot. Dirk, Bird or even KD wouldn't have felt the need to do so cause they're comfortable and confident from anywhere on the floor.

Curry almost lost the game cause he passed up a mid-range and felt the need to take a 3PA instead with the score tied. Lucky for him CJ missed his shot and went to OT.

Glad we can finally put the "Curry GOAT shooter" non-sense to rest.

Comfortable? He stepped back to get an extra point. If there was no line there he wouldn't have stepped back.

Duh

Hey Yo
05-21-2019, 11:00 AM
Comfortable? He stepped back to get an extra point. If there was no line there he wouldn't have stepped back.

Duh
There was no need to step back.

When it's tied, you have possession, you're wide TF open and there's 10 seconds left, you look for the lead..... not the extra point.

Duh

tontoz
05-21-2019, 11:09 AM
There was no need to step back.

When it's tied, you have possession, you're wide TF open and there's 10 seconds left, you look for the lead..... not the extra point.

Duh

So do you think he would have stepped back if there was no line there?

It is just a habit, trying to get an extra point for a similar shot. A 3 point lead is better than a 2 point lead when the opponent will get the ball back. If it was a buzzer beater then there would be no reason to step back.

For his career Curry shoots high 40s from midrange and 43% from 3. It just makes sense to step back when he is close.

I have seen guys step back a lot more than that. Saying that he is stepping back to be more confident is idiotic. He shoots a higher percentage from midrange than he does from 3.

He isn't more confident in making the shot. He understands grade school math.

Showtime80'
05-21-2019, 11:13 AM
To me that's just a reflection of how much analytics have ruined the overall quality and the overall variety of the game in the last 10+ years. Why take a 3 in a tied game when you have an open 20 footer?!?! In the modern game that type of stupidity is tolerated and frankly encouraged, that's why one of the DUMBEST players of all time in Russell Wesbrick can win an MVP and average a triple double for 3 straight years in this era.

The best shot in basketball for the longest time was an OPEN SHOT, it didn't matter where inside the 3 point line it came from, if it was 5, 8, 10, 15, 18 or 20 feet, if it was open you took it. That's what made the offenses of the 80's and early 90's so great to watch, they were fluid, quick hitting and players took the shoots within their range of ability that defense gave them, they were not forcing 25+ footers (a shot that is still goes in only 36% of the time) because some math geek in MTI is telling them to. The feel for the game was king!

In today's league it doesn't matter if you get an open 15/18 footer with 18 seconds left on the shot clock, the analytics have forced these guys to give up that shot and waste another 10 to 15 seconds and at the end shoot a contested 25 foot brick!!! It's become HORRIBLE to witness.

I can't knock Steph too much because he's an all time great shooter and the 3 pointer is what made him but the problem lies with the vast amount of players thinking they have the ability to take the same shots as Steph and be equally as successful when should NEVER venture beyond 18 feet!

Just wait a couple of years when teams are jacking up 40/50+ 3's a game and see if it's still entertaining.

Hey Yo
05-21-2019, 11:20 AM
So do you think he would have stepped back if there was no line there?

It is just a habit, trying to get an extra point for a similar shot. A 3 point lead is better than a 2 point lead when the opponent will get the ball back. If it was a buzzer beater then there would be no reason to step back.

For his career Curry shoots high 40s from midrange and 43% from 3. It just makes sense to step back when he is close.

I have seen guys step back a lot more than that. Saying that he is stepping back to be more confident is idiotic. He shoots a higher percentage from midrange than he does from 3.

He isn't more confident in making the shot. He understands grade school math.
For his career, only 7% of his FGA are from mid-range compared to 48% are 3PA. Grade school math suggests that he doesn't shoot enough mid-range shots to even say how good of a true mid-range shooter he is.

Dude fvcked up and almost lost the game cause he's more comfortable shooting the 3 than the mid-range.

tontoz
05-21-2019, 11:25 AM
For his career, only 7% of his FGA are from mid-range compared to 48% are 3PA. Grade school math suggests that he doesn't shoot enough mid-range shots to even say how good of a true mid-range shooter he is.

Dude fvcked up and almost lost the game cause he's more comfortable shooting the 3 than the mid-range.

He has taken over 2400 shots from 10-21 feet in his career.

http://bkref.com/tiny/BBHqv

He has taken 1900 from 15-21

http://bkref.com/tiny/Jv3mH

I think I can say pretty confidently he shoots them better than 43%.

Hey Yo
05-21-2019, 11:37 AM
He has taken over 2400 shots from 10-21 feet in his career.

http://bkref.com/tiny/BBHqv

He has taken 1900 from 15-21

http://bkref.com/tiny/Jv3mH

I think I can say pretty confidently he shoots them better than 43%.
Since when is anything past 16-17ft considered mid-range???

Short 2's
Mid-range
Long 2's
3pt'ers

tontoz
05-21-2019, 11:45 AM
Since when is anything past 16-17ft considered mid-range???

Short 2's
Mid-range
Long 2's
3pt'ers

Doesn't matter. 12-17 he makes 48% for his career.

http://bkref.com/tiny/LjgWK

No matter where you put the distances he shoots a higher % than he does from 3.

hold this L
05-21-2019, 11:46 AM
You get points for trying I guess..

ErhnamDjinn
05-21-2019, 11:50 AM
meh, if you actually watch the games what I like about Curry is he doesnt always spam the 3's , like say Harden, if his shot is not going in he either drives to the basket , does midrange shots or sucks in the d and passes out. Actually all the warriors do this. This is why they are able to catchup in those large leads. The only thing I dont like about Curry is those risky behind the back passes he does, and he is somewhat a liability on D, which the team makes up for in team defense.

ImKobe
05-21-2019, 11:52 AM

He's probably better from corner 3 if he gets separation :confusedshrug:

These guys practice more 3s than mid-range shots (excluding the FT).

Hey Yo
05-21-2019, 12:01 PM

Yet you're ignoring the amount of attempts from that range

This year alone, 57 mid-range attempts out 1,340 total FGA

Like I said, the sample size is not nearly enough.

Greatest long range / 3pt shooter...... but not best overall shooter ever

Hey Yo
05-21-2019, 12:04 PM
meh, if you actually watch the games what I like about Curry is he doesnt always spam the 3's , like say Harden, if his shot is not going in he either drives to the basket , does midrange shots or sucks in the d and passes out. Actually all the warriors do this. This is why they are able to catchup in those large leads. The only thing I dont like about Curry is those risky behind the back passes he does, and he is somewhat a liability on D, which the team makes up for in team defense.
I agree, he does drive to the basket, but there are times (not just last night) when you see him clearly pass up open mid-range and pass it off, instead of taking the open 2pt'er

tontoz
05-21-2019, 12:07 PM
Yet you're ignoring the amount of attempts from that range

This year alone, 57 mid-range attempts out 1,340 total FGA

Like I said, the sample size is not nearly enough.

Greatest long range / 3pt shooter...... but not best overall shooter ever

:rolleyes:

He has 935 attempts in that narrow 12-17 range for his career. When you look at all the attempts he averages 48%.

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
05-21-2019, 12:09 PM
Wait.

So Curry traveled on one possession...wanting a 3 instead of a long 2...now he's no longer the GOAT shooter?

Undefeated logic if you're a walking vegetable, I guess.

paksat
05-21-2019, 12:12 PM
To me that's just a reflection of how much analytics have ruined the overall quality and the overall variety of the game in the last 10+ years. Why take a 3 in a tied game when you have an open 20 footer?!?! In the modern game that type of stupidity is tolerated and frankly encouraged, that's why one of the DUMBEST players of all time in Russell Wesbrick can win an MVP and average a triple double for 3 straight years in this era.

The best shot in basketball for the longest time was an OPEN SHOT, it didn't matter where inside the 3 point line it came from, if it was 5, 8, 10, 15, 18 or 20 feet, if it was open you took it. That's what made the offenses of the 80's and early 90's so great to watch, they were fluid, quick hitting and players took the shoots within their range of ability that defense gave them, they were not forcing 25+ footers (a shot that is still goes in only 36% of the time) because some math geek in MTI is telling them to. The feel for the game was king!

In today's league it doesn't matter if you get an open 15/18 footer with 18 seconds left on the shot clock, the analytics have forced these guys to give up that shot and waste another 10 to 15 seconds and at the end shoot a contested 25 foot brick!!! It's become HORRIBLE to witness.

I can't knock Steph too much because he's an all time great shooter and the 3 pointer is what made him but the problem lies with the vast amount of players thinking they have the ability to take the same shots as Steph and be equally as successful when should NEVER venture beyond 18 feet!

Just wait a couple of years when teams are jacking up 40/50+ 3's a game and see if it's still entertaining.

he's the greatest :roll:

Hey Yo
05-21-2019, 12:13 PM

He has 935 attempts in that narrow 12-17 range for his career.
Out of 11,848 career FGA.

Like I said, not big enough sample size.

Hey Yo
05-21-2019, 12:14 PM
Wait.

So Curry traveled on one possession...wanting a 3 instead of a long 2...now he's no longer the GOAT shooter?

Never was to begin with, chico.

tontoz
05-21-2019, 12:20 PM
Out of 11,848 career FGA.

Like I said, not big enough sample size.

935 shots from that narrow area is plenty. Do you really think the results would change with more shots?

The distance really doesn't matter. Inside the line, from any distance, he is shooting better than he does from 3.

Low IQ thread.

What is your excuse for him being the GOAT foul shooter?

Hey Yo
05-21-2019, 12:35 PM
935 shots from that narrow area is plenty. Do you really think the results would change with more shots?

The distance really doesn't matter. Inside the line, from any distance, he is shooting better than he does from 3.

Low IQ thread.

What is your excuse for him being the GOAT foul shooter?
:oldlol: Again, you're not taking amount of FGA into consideration.

Just under half of his career 11,848 FGA are from 3. There's a reason why he shy's away from the mid-range when it presents itself and we both know it's due to confidence. He feels more comfortable and confident taking the 3PA.

There are probably plenty of guys out there who don't play in the NBA and are better foul shooters than Steph, but shooting uncontested FTA at a great percentage doesn't mean you're the GOAT shooter..... it means you're a great FT shooter.

Prometheus
05-21-2019, 12:38 PM
It proves nothing about his shooting one way or the other.

All it proves is that he is capable of misjudgment in the context of closing a game. It was a stupid play.

tontoz
05-21-2019, 12:41 PM
There's a reason why he shy's away from the mid-range when it presents itself and we both know it's due to getting and extra point for 3s.

FYP

FreezingTsmoove
05-21-2019, 12:54 PM
https://i.giphy.com/media/3o6Ztl8BUEpZRil4OY/giphy.gif

SouBeachTalents
05-21-2019, 01:03 PM
So one play dictates a players entire body of work, Jesus Christ :oldlol:

INDI
05-21-2019, 02:58 PM

Was that the reason? OR was he trying to put more pressure on the blazers to make a 3 to tie?

What if he hit the 2 and then the blazers came down and won the game on a 3pt attempt? Bet you would

Proctor
05-21-2019, 03:16 PM
OP is so stupid.

Then again, he thought Jeff Green on the Cavs had as much impact as Iguodala on the Warriors :oldlol: :oldlol: :oldlol:

3ball
05-21-2019, 03:42 PM

3ball
05-21-2019, 03:43 PM
https://i.giphy.com/media/3o6Ztl8BUEpZRil4OY/giphy.gif
:lol

3ball
05-21-2019, 03:43 PM
Team ORtg when Kobe/Curry are on and off floor (offensive impact)

Playoffs

08' Lakers ORtg .with.'' Kobe - 109.9
08' Lakers ORtg w/out Kobe -.. 93.7
..................................Difference - 16.2 (https://stats.nba.com/team/1610612747/onoffcourt-summary/?Season=2007-08&SeasonType=Playoffs&sort=DIFF_OFF_RATING&dir=1) <----- link to NBA.com source

09' Lakers ORtg .with.'' Kobe - 112.0
09' Lakers ORtg w/out Kobe -.. 94.0

10' Lakers ORtg .with.'' Kobe - 112.4
10' Lakers ORtg w/out Kobe -.. 96.4

19' Warrior ORtg .with.'' Curry - 119.0
19' Warrior ORtg w/out Curry - 102.7

Kobe is superior, so obviously MJ would destroy Curry's offensive impact

the media simply likes to overrate guys - it makes their job and analysis easier -;that's what they did with Bron and now Curry

They're overrating his offensive impact - the stats show that there's a bigger change in team ORtg when Kobe leaves the floor or comes back in than Curry - Kobe simply had bigger offensive impact

So the stats prove Kobe's greater impact, and therefore jordan's....

3ball
05-21-2019, 03:44 PM
OP is right - he's a good mid-range shooter, but not a great one, and that disqualifies him from goat shooter title

The goat shooter is Bird, because he was all-time level at both threes and mid-range

Curry is goat at threes; MJ mid-range; Bird overall

But we already know the media overrated Curry, as evidenced by his so-called "goat" offensive impact - there's a bigger change in team ORtg when Kobe leaves the floor or comes back in than Curry (stats in previous post above).. so Curry's offensive impact can't even beat Kobe

/thread..

tontoz
05-21-2019, 03:48 PM
The goat shooter is Bird, because he was all-time level at both threes and mid-range

Curry is goat at threes; MJ mid-range; Bird overall

:facepalm

Crap like this is why nobody takes you seriously.

Bird all-time level from 3? He averaged .7 made 3s per game shooting 37.6% for his career.

3ball
05-21-2019, 03:49 PM

Crap like this is why nobody takes you seriously.

Bird all-time level from 3? He averaged .7 made 3s per game shooting 37.6% for his career.
Doesn't matter

Everyone knows the 3 was looked at different back then

Bird had a 3-point contest three-peat and predicted it before hand

He was ahead of his time and lethal from anywhere

tontoz
05-21-2019, 03:53 PM
Doesn't matter

.7 made 3s shooting 37.6% = all time great

:roll:

Birds career EFG% 51.4%
Jordan 50.9%
Curry 58.2%

Great 3 pt shooting >>> great midrange shooting

PistonsFan#21
05-21-2019, 03:59 PM
Doesn't matter

Just like the midrange is looked at different now...It is not a shot most coaches would recommend due to analytics.

You can't discredit Curry from being a great midrange shooter because of low volume and then praise Bird for being an all time great 3point shooter with an average less than 1 3pt made per game for his career

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
05-21-2019, 04:04 PM
2ball @ it again :oldlol:

The only way people read these posts is if you spam them. Not because they're insightful or even make sense.

Remember that.

I don't know what Curry's done to you BUT Jordan/Bird/Kobe all played with the 3PT line. And Curry simply shoots it better - nothing more, nothing less.

ArbitraryWater
05-21-2019, 04:07 PM
i was gonna come in this thread and say lmao gtfoh, but the point is worth of consideration.

i still dont think that little scenario can make up the huge edge he has over anyone else though

3ball
05-21-2019, 04:14 PM
2019 Regular Season "closest defender" stats on 3-pointers

Curry

https://i.makeagif.com/media/4-25-2019/kWY9Tu.gif

Total 3-point attempts per game:. 11.6
Attempts that are "open" (4-6 feet) or "wide open" (6+ feet):. 9.3
__________________________________________________ ___________
Percentage of attempts that are "open" or "wide open":. 80.2%

Conclusion on Curry - he needs space to shoot threes, thus hurting him in the clutch compared to good mid-range players, who don't need any room and can get the shot whenever they want

Dame "Dollar"

https://i.makeagif.com/media/4-25-2019/rGbyxf.gif

Total 3-point attempts per game:. 7.9
Attempts that are "open" (4-6 feet) or "wide open" (6+ feet):. 5.7
Percentage of attempts that are "open" or "wide open":. 72.2%

Conclusion on Dame - he needs space to shoot threes, thus hurting him in the clutch compared to good mid-range players, who don't need any room and can get the shot whenever they want

Harden

https://i.makeagif.com/media/4-25-2019/iFSWLP.gif

Total 3-point attempts per game:. 13.0
Attempts that are "open" (4-6 feet) or "wide open" (6+ feet):. 3.6
Percentage of attempts that are "open" or "wide open":. 27.7%

Conclusion on Harden - he DOESN'T need space to shoot threes, however, he only shoots about 30% on closely contested shots, so a player shooting under 50% from mid-range can match or exceed him

3ball
05-21-2019, 04:15 PM
Just like the midrange is looked at different now...It is not a shot most coaches would recommend due to analytics.

You can't discredit Curry from being a great midrange shooter because of low volume and then praise Bird for being an all time great 3point shooter with an average less than 1 3pt made per game for his career
I discredit curry because he's garbage at making CONTESTED jumpers compared to bird or MJ

80% of curry's threes are "open" (4-6 feet from closest defender) or "wide open" (6+ feet) - see stats in previous post

so he shoots mostly open threes (system player) and isn't nearly the contested mid-range shooter that MJ or bird was

tontoz
05-21-2019, 04:20 PM
The reason Curry is so "open" despite being targeted by every defense he faces is because of his movement without the ball, his ball handling skill and his deep range.

He is the only player I have ever seen get double teamed when he doesn't have the ball. Happens all the time.

Pretty sure opposing teams don't have "let Curry shoot open 3s" in their game plan. :oldlol:

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
05-21-2019, 04:23 PM
I discredit curry because he's garbage at making CONTESTED jumpers compared to bird or MJ

80% of curry's threes are "open" (4-6 feet from closest defender) or "wide open" (6+ feet) - see stats in previous post

so he shoots mostly open threes (system player) and isn't nearly the contested mid-range shooter that MJ or bird was

How is shooting 45% on "tightly contested twos" garbage?
How is shooting 55% on "contested twos" garbage?

You'd also need MJ and Bird's data to make that claim. Without it? We're only going by your word. Which has proven to be shit here.

LostCause
05-21-2019, 04:33 PM
Wait.

:roll:

I thought this was some type of reverse psychology troll thread. Turns out it isn't

Damn

NBAGOAT
05-21-2019, 04:42 PM
the thing is it's hard to contest most of his 3's when curry's range goes out 35 feet. It's still just ridiculous to ask a big man to come that far out.

RRR3
05-21-2019, 04:48 PM
Wait.

:roll: :roll: :roll:

More threads from OP:

3ball
05-21-2019, 05:23 PM

How is shooting 45% on "tightly contested twos" garbage?
How is shooting 55% on "contested twos" garbage?

You'd also need MJ and Bird's data to make that claim. Without it? We're only going by your word. Which has proven to be shit here.

^^^^ That includes at-rim

Curry is bad at contested mid-range:

2019 Playoffs

https://i.makeagif.com/media/5-21-2019/9Qeecr.gif

https://stats.nba.com/player/201939/shots-dash/?Season=2018-19&SeasonType=Playoffs

So looks like he shoots 29% on tightly contested two's outside of 10 feet, and 39% on contested.. :cheers: :applause:..

Stephonit
05-21-2019, 05:31 PM
"When those guys [Steph and Klay] are getting 2 or 3 touches on one possession I wouldn't want to defend them...Steph has got the defense so extended

bigkingsfan
05-21-2019, 05:41 PM
^^^^ That includes at-rim

Curry is bad at contested mid-range:

So looks like he shoots 29% on tightly contested two's outside of 10 feet, and 39% on contested.. :cheers: :applause:..

Doesn't matter

hold this L
05-21-2019, 05:48 PM
[QUOTE=Stephonit]"When those guys [Steph and Klay] are getting 2 or 3 touches on one possession I wouldn't want to defend them...Steph has got the defense so extended

FKAri
05-21-2019, 05:50 PM
That's interesting.. he didn't think much of Steph only two years ago.
Probably the whole 73 win and GOAT team comparisons in 2015 made him initially defensive of his and his team's and legacy.

tpols
05-21-2019, 06:26 PM
that was silly... reminded me of hardens shimmy shuffle.

It mightve made sense if they were down 2 or obviously if they were down 3, but tie game and you find yourself open in the corner right inside the line you sho0t it.

Hard to hate on Ding0 though... hes doing shit nobody else ever has before.

Leading a GOAT dynasty... perhaps the GOAT.

:bowdown:

NBAGOAT
05-21-2019, 06:37 PM
reddit analysis that shows it might not have been a dumb play by curry, execution aside https://www.reddit.com/r/nba/comments/brckkk/oc_with_10_seconds_left_in_a_tied_game_steph/

E_Stamkos
05-21-2019, 06:39 PM

https://stats.nba.com/player/201939/shots-dash/?Season=2018-19&SeasonType=Playoffs[/INDENT]

If we were to apply that same graphic to examine OP's bootyhole, he would rank in the 6+ feet column for sure.

3ball
05-21-2019, 07:41 PM
Doesn't matter
It doesn't matter that curry shoots very bad at contested mid-range, so he essentially can't shoot contested shots?? (80% of this threes are open)

Ok..

But that's the kind of bias that will cause shock when he underwhems on the championship/Finals level again

The same shock you guys had when Bron missed the playoffs, after ignoring lebron's stacking the deck in the East

so keep being biased and then shocked at results

Vino24
05-21-2019, 07:43 PM
It doesn't matter that curry shoots very bad at contested mid-range, so he essentially can't shoot contested shots?? (80% of this threes are open)

Ok..

But that's the kind of bias that will cause shock when he underwhems on the championship/Finals level again

The same shock you guys had when Bron missed the playoffs, after ignoring lebron's stacking the deck in the East
you don't even watch the games you dunce. Curry is constantly doubled and moving off ball just to get open. Yeah he's always "open" stfu.

3ball
05-21-2019, 07:46 PM
you don't even watch the games you dunce. Curry is constantly doubled and moving off ball just to get open. Yeah he's always "open" stfu.

Curry

Conclusion on Curry - he needs space to shoot threes, thus hurting him in the clutch compared to good mid-range players, who don't need any room and can get the shot whenever they want

TLDR: 80% of Curry's threes are open... The league average is 89%

Today's spacing strategy gives defenses no chance to cover the ground

StrongLurk
05-21-2019, 08:35 PM

Curry

TLDR: 80% of Curry's threes are open... The league average is 89%

Today's spacing strategy gives defenses no chance to cover the ground

Curry is open because he has excellent off-ball movement, amazing handles to create space, and also shoots a ton of deep threes that the defense doesn't even have time to react to :bowdown:

3ball
05-21-2019, 09:05 PM
Curry is open because he has excellent off-ball movement, amazing handles to create space, and also shoots a ton of deep threes that the defense doesn't even have time to react to :bowdown:
Nah brah.. :facepalm:

It's called being a system player.. :yaohappy:

He wouldn't have dominant stats without the Warriors' goat system to get him all those threes

Put him in the 1998 Pacers' offense, and he'd get 4-5 threes a game and average 18 ppg like he did from 2010-2012, before his threes jumped in 2013

He simply needs a ton of open 3-pt attempts to be dominant, which requires a great system

Turbo Slayer
05-21-2019, 09:21 PM
Why you hatin'?

:coleman:

bigkingsfan
05-21-2019, 09:26 PM

Ok..

so keep being biased and then shocked at results
Ordan was terrible at open 3's and contested 3's.

3ball
05-21-2019, 09:40 PM
Ordan was terrible at open 3's and contested 3's.

Curry shoots 30% on contested threes:

2019 Playoffs

https://i.makeagif.com/media/5-22-2019/C1SSZA.gif

Curry is bad also bad at contested mid-range:

2019 Playoffs

https://stats.nba.com/player/201939/shots-dash/?Season=2018-19&SeasonType=Playoffs

So he is NOT a good contested jumpshooter and therefore doesn't compare to bird or kobe.. :cheers: :applause:..

He's also nowhere near the impact offensively that everyone thinks:

Playoffs

..................................Difference - 16.2 (https://stats.nba.com/team/1610612747/onoffcourt-summary/?Season=2007-08&SeasonType=Playoffs&sort=DIFF_OFF_RATING&dir=1) <----- link to NBA.com source

Team ORtg changed more when Kobe left the floor or came in than Curry.. So Kobe had greater offensive impact, while also being a much better contested jumpshooter

bigkingsfan
05-21-2019, 09:44 PM

His contested 3's are almost the same as Ordan combined 3's. :roll:

3ball
05-21-2019, 09:48 PM
His contested 3's are almost the same as Ordan combined 3's. :roll:

Jordan shot threes well

1) When it mattered - 43% on 3.3 attempts in 91-93' Finals.. 35.2% on 2.2 attempts in 85-93' playoffs

2) When he tried - he attempted less than 1.5 every year except 2 years (90, 93) when he attempted 3+ and shot 38% and 35%

bigkingsfan
05-21-2019, 09:52 PM
Jordan shot threes well

1) When it mattered - 43% on 3.3 attempts in 91-93' Finals.. 35.2% on 2.2 attempts in 85-93' playoffs

2) When he tried - he attempted less than 1.5 every year except 2 years (90, 93) when he attempted 3+ and shot 38% and 35%
Ordan only shot open 3's... and didn't even have to run around and work for it. Defense gave him 0 respect.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03GT8q3BCZY

Dro
05-21-2019, 11:50 PM
I mean, I'm actually sitting here and read the entire thread trying to figure out what the **** the point of this thread is.

I don't understand how Steph making a bad judgment play, traveling to step back and take a three, impacts his ability as a shooter.

Am I missing something or what the ****?

Are you saying his bad judgment actually has an impact on his shooting ability?

Are you saying that since he didn't have confidence to take the midrange shot, that it somehow affects his ability to shoot?

I didn't think anyone still questioned if Steph was the GOAT shooter. I don't give a **** if he never attempted 1 mid range jumper in his entire career and just made a bunch of 3's....He's still the GOAT shooter. I mean, he can make contested, off the dribble 3's from wherever the hell he wants and I'm supposed to believe because other guys are better from CLOSER that they're better shooters? What sense does that make? He's a better shooter than MJ, Bird, West, all these guys.

Steph is shooting from farther away from the rim, set shot or off the dribble, how exactly is this not more impressive? Its not like he's shooting 10% from three. The dude is extremely efficient therefore in today's game, him taking a 3 in that situation for a guy of his caliber is absolutely a logical decision. 3 is more than 2 and its Steph freaking Curry, not Mckinney. And it was still a wide open shot that he actually made.

Like, what is this thread about again?

3ball
09-19-2019, 05:31 PM
Is the best jumpshooter ever the guy that relied on jumpers the most to win a scoring title?

Jordan 1997 (https://stats.nba.com/player/893/shooting/?Season=1996-97&SeasonType=Regular%20Season).... 727/1528 (47.5 fg)
Curry... 2016 (https://stats.nba.com/player/201939/shooting/?Season=2015-16&SeasonType=Regular%20Season).... 525/1191 (44.0 fg)

People don't realize that when they say MJ had the goat fadeaway, they mean jumpshot - that's what the fadeaway is - a jumpshot - and all of MJ's jumpers were fadeaways - me at player's jumpers are fadeaways

Despite MJ relying on jumpers more than anyone ever, he still got 90 dunks in 1996 and 1998 (top 10% of league), which shows his incredible scoring versatility

tpols
09-19-2019, 05:37 PM

2019 Playoffs

https://i.makeagif.com/media/5-22-2019/C1SSZA.gif

Curry is bad also bad at contested mid-range:

2019 Playoffs

So he is NOT a good contested jumpshooter and therefore doesn't compare to bird or kobe.. :cheers: :applause:..

He's also nowhere near the impact offensively that everyone thinks:

Playoffs

Team ORtg changed more when Kobe left the floor or came in than Curry.. So Kobe had greater offensive impact, while also being a much better contested jumpshooter

those stats have kobe and curry as having nearly identical monstrous impact...

they are both GOAT level orchestrators of offense.

LostCause
09-19-2019, 07:32 PM
Forgot about this thread

Explains a lot about OP and his asinine opinion ms

ImKobe
09-19-2019, 08:35 PM
Is the best jumpshooter ever the guy that relied on jumpers the most to win a scoring title?

Jordan 1997 (https://stats.nba.com/player/893/shooting/?Season=1996-97&SeasonType=Regular%20Season).... 727/1528 (47.5 fg)
Curry... 2016 (https://stats.nba.com/player/201939/shooting/?Season=2015-16&SeasonType=Regular%20Season).... 525/1191 (44.0 fg)

People don't realize that when they say MJ had the goat fadeaway, they mean jumpshot - that's what the fadeaway is - a jumpshot - and all of MJ's jumpers were fadeaways - me at player's jumpers are fadeaways

Despite MJ relying on jumpers more than anyone ever, he still got 90 dunks in 1996 and 1998 (top 10% of league), which shows his incredible scoring versatility

You do realize over 1000 of Curry's jump shots were 3s, right?

3ball
09-19-2019, 09:01 PM
MJ gave his team a favorable outcome on a higher percentage of his jumpers (higher fg %) - higher fg % means that MJ gave his team a higher frequency of favorable possessions and better momentum from possession to possession (less droughts)

But more importantly, MJ's jumpshooting volume was MUCH higher while winning the scoring title than Curry's, so MJ relied on jumpers MORE than Curry to be the league's top scorer, and is therefore the better jumpshooter

72-10
09-20-2019, 02:00 AM

Yeah, but most of Jordan's were 15-18 foot jump shots, and a lot of those were fadeaways. And a lot of those were contested with doubles.

Not to mention, Jordan played off ball most of the time in the triangle offense, which means he had to work more before he got to shoot the ball. Whereas Curry starts with the ball on offense and can sometimes just pull up. It's a lot more difficult for a team to throw a double at someone out on the perimeter as opposed to in a more congested space like the mid-range.

In fact he was so skilled that he'd sometimes give up an easier shot like a wide open layup in lieu of a double team contested fadeaway.:biggums:

scuzzy
09-20-2019, 02:07 AM
Yeah, but most of Jordan's were 15-18 foot jump shots, and a lot of those were fadeaways. And a lot of those were contested with doubles.

Not to mention, Jordan played off ball most of the time in the triangle offense, which means he had to work more before he got to shoot the ball. Whereas Curry starts with the ball on offense and can sometimes just pull up. It's a lot more difficult for a team to throw a double at someone out on the perimeter as opposed to in a more congested space like the mid-range.

In fact he was so skilled that he'd sometimes give up an easier shot like a wide open layup in lieu of a double team contested fadeaway.:biggums:

All Curry does is run off screens and off ball :oldlol:

It's VERY visible some of you nostalgic MJ fans stopped watching hoops years ago. Diarhea posts :blah :blah :blah

72-10
09-20-2019, 02:14 AM
All Curry does is run off screens and off ball :oldlol:

It's VERY visible some of you nostalgic MJ fans stopped watching hoops years ago. Diarhea posts :blah :blah :blah

What?:confusedshrug:

He was referring to 2016 Curry. He led the offense then. He still led the offense much of the time even with Durant on the team.

scuzzy
09-20-2019, 02:25 AM
What?:confusedshrug:

He was referring to 2016 Curry. He led the offense then. He still led the offense much of the time even with Durant on the team.
Yeah and it's the same thing, brings it up the court, passes to Klay or Dray immediatly, runs around off screens until he's open

rinse wash

Unlike MJ who's camping in the high post waiving to Kerr/Harper feed him the ball while being checked by Starks/Hornacek/Ehlo. LMAO gtfoh :oldlol:

ILLsmak
09-20-2019, 03:14 AM
haha that triple step back. It goes to show how amazing that ray step back was.

If anything it shows more about his lack of awareness of where he is on the floor than his shooting ability. AND ARROGANCE TO THINK HE COULD GET AWAY WITH IT.

-Smak

Mr Feeny
09-20-2019, 03:23 AM
Just when you thought OP couldn't possible get any dumber:lol

ImKobe
09-20-2019, 04:33 AM

So Curry doesn't play off-ball to get open from 3? Curry doesn't often shoot 30-footers, which he has an insanely high 3PT% from?

This is from 2018

The Golden State star has made 17 attempts from at least 28 feet away from the basket so far this season. To no surprise, that’s as many as No. 2 (Kemba Walker) and No. 3 runner-ups (Trae Young) combined. And through nine games, Curry is shooting a shocking 60.7 percent on these attempts.

Multiply that by three and you’ve got someone who is averaging 1.82 points per attempt on long three-pointers. According to Haberstroh’s research, the current league average on dunks is also valued at 1.82 points per attempt.

But the volume is actually not a new trend for Curry, who was 50-for-104 (48.1 percent) from 28 feet and beyond during his first MVP season in 2015-16. He connected on as many shots from this distance as the second-best and sixth-best deep shooters combined — while averaging 1.44 points per attempt.

The league average on three-pointers that season was 35.4 percent, which means a three-pointer was valued at 1.06 points per attempt. He essentially has his own version of the three-point line and he makes seemingly impossible shots with ease on a nightly basis.

These are insanely difficult shots. The way you tell it, Curry just stands at the 3-Pt line and shoots wide open 3s all game, that's not the case. Warriors have always been known for their great off-ball movement.

You can find a bunch of all-time greats who also shot around 45% on mid-range shots at a similar volume as Jordan did late in his career with the data we have, only Klay Thompson comes close to Steph in terms of being as efficient on such a high volume of 3s and he still shoots considerably less and on similar % while Steph takes more 3s off the dribble.

Bronbron23
09-20-2019, 09:46 AM
I'm not a curry fan but the boy is definitely the best shooter ever. Yeah he gets a shit ton of threes in effort to get open or get a switch on a slow big but he still hits crazy shots that I've nevery seen anyone hit on a consistent basis like he does.

There's alot of things I'll agrue with about Steph's greatness but three point shooting isn't one of them

superduper
09-20-2019, 09:47 AM
OP has some of the most ":biggums:" takes out there

Hey Yo
09-20-2019, 11:05 AM
I'm not a curry fan but the boy is definitely the best shooter ever. Yeah he gets a shit ton of threes in effort to get open or get a switch on a slow big but he still hits crazy shots that I've nevery seen anyone hit on a consistent basis like he does.

There's alot of things I'll agrue with about Steph's greatness but three point shooting isn't one of them
Best "3pt" shooter ever.

RRR3
09-20-2019, 12:37 PM
Best "3pt" shooter ever.
No best shooter. Period.

You’re literally the only person besides 3ball dumb enough to argue this

paksat
09-20-2019, 01:13 PM

I mean if 3 is worth more than 2 and at the current percentages.. wouldn't it be better if we just ran down and jacked up a 3 as quickly as possible?

That gives us more time to shoot MORE 3's so it should give us even MORE points.

to think people get paid for that crap :rolleyes:

Hey Yo
09-20-2019, 03:30 PM
[QUOTE=RRR3]No best shooter. Period.

You

RRR3
09-20-2019, 03:33 PM
Hey D’oh :facepalm

Manny98
09-20-2019, 06:24 PM
KD is arguably a better overall shooter than Curry since he's much better at hitting contested jumpers than Curry and is better overall from mid range

Bronbron23
09-21-2019, 08:16 AM
Best "3pt" shooter ever.
I don't know id say best overall shooter. His foul shooting is crazy too don't forget. He may not have the best mid range of all time buts it's still very good and when you combine all three I'd say he's the best.

egokiller
09-21-2019, 10:14 AM
Wtf is this shit thread?

If you are going to troll at least make it come off as somewhat believable.

You fvcked up the moment you wrote the title to this thread.:roll:

72-10
09-21-2019, 10:47 AM
Yeah and it's the same thing, brings it up the court, passes to Klay or Dray immediatly, runs around off screens until he's open

rinse wash

Unlike MJ who's camping in the high post waiving to Kerr/Harper feed him the ball while being checked by Starks/Hornacek/Ehlo. LMAO gtfoh :oldlol:

MJ didn't just "camp in the high post" as you try to pass off. Ron Harper was the main defender on him, not Ehlo, fvckwit. And Byron Russell guarded him, not Hornacek, fvckwit.

While I think that Curry is a better shooter than MJ, he cannot create separation from the defense and create his own shot like MJ did, who is the master at that. He's not the scorer that MJ was. Are you aware of how difficult it is to play with one's back to the basket?:confusedshrug:

Curry doesn't have a fadeaway or a fallaway. Curry has trouble with contested defense in many cases. Curry can't beat double and triple teams the way MJ did. All Curry does is shoot the three well.

egokiller
09-21-2019, 11:00 AM
Which type of shot historically has the lowest % of being made in the league?

Who is the greatest shooter of that type of shot in the history of the NBA?

I don't think we are talking creating your own shot or shooting fade aways over defenses, we are talking who's the best shooter under a majority of in game situations.

72-10
09-21-2019, 11:03 AM
So Curry doesn't play off-ball to get open from 3? Curry doesn't often shoot 30-footers, which he has an insanely high 3PT% from?

This is from 2018

These are insanely difficult shots. The way you tell it, Curry just stands at the 3-Pt line and shoots wide open 3s all game, that's not the case. Warriors have always been known for their great off-ball movement.

You can find a bunch of all-time greats who also shot around 45% on mid-range shots at a similar volume as Jordan did late in his career with the data we have, only Klay Thompson comes close to Steph in terms of being as efficient on such a high volume of 3s and he still shoots considerably less and on similar % while Steph takes more 3s off the dribble.

Right. I just don't like the detracting way you blew through what MJ did during the second threepeat. MJ put on a shooting display - most of his shots were insanely difficult, and he had an insanely high conversion rate on them.

72-10
09-21-2019, 11:05 AM
Best "3pt" shooter ever.

That's all the credit you'll give?:biggums:

72-10
09-21-2019, 11:08 AM
Bird, Dirk, KD, MJ-(inside the arc) are all better shooters than Steph. They are lethal from anywhere on the floor. Curry hasn't shown that. He stays at the perimeter or attacks the rim. There's barely anything from him in between.

Those are facts.

If you said they're better mid-range shooters, I might actually buy that. These guys were more heavily guarded at that distance. Plus Dirk and MJ used fadeaways, and Bird often resorted to a fallaway... but of course Curry isn't as tall. I still think MJ is the best mid-range shooter of all time.

Stephonit
09-21-2019, 11:22 AM
You guys might as well claim that LeBron is the greatest shooter of all-time while you're at it.

ImKobe
09-21-2019, 01:14 PM
Right. I just don't like the detracting way you blew through what MJ did during the second threepeat. MJ put on a shooting display - most of his shots were insanely difficult, and he had an insanely high conversion rate on them.

Not sure I can agree with most shots being insanely difficult but I get your point about his mid-range game.

Bird, Dirk, KD, MJ-(inside the arc) are all better shooters than Steph. They are lethal from anywhere on the floor. Curry hasn't shown that. He stays at the perimeter or attacks the rim. There's barely anything from him in between.

Those are facts.

They're not that much better than Steph inside the arc. Curry in his early career took a lot of mid-range shots and he was in the same ballpark in efficiency.

Dirk might be the GOAT mid-range shooter if we consider volume and efficiency. He's 47% from both 10-16 ft and long 2s. Curry's 45.3% from 10-16 ft and 46.5% on long 2s for his career. Obviously Steph hasn't taken that many mid-range shots under Steve Kerr but that's because he can make 3s at a similar rate so it's a bad shot for their offense in most cases. Like you can look at 2011 Curry shooting 49.5% on long 2s with nearly 300 attempts, that's elite and we're talking about Curry being in his 2nd season.

Steph shoots deep 3s at a better rate than most players do on regular 3-point shots. His way of scoring is more efficient than what guys like Jordan, Kobe, Dirk did so I don't see that as a bad thing or a reason why he shouldn't be considered the GOAT shooter. All those guys with elite mid-range games don't come close to Curry in 3-point shooting.

ILLsmak
09-21-2019, 05:19 PM
Larry is the only guy who could possibly be a better shooter than Curry, but that's assuming you really value all of the crazy shots he made from mid/posting. If it's overall putting the ball in the hoop in a way that's not a drive/lay up/dunk, then Larry is right there, but Steph is so wet from 3.

KD is an amazing shooter, too, but the degree of difficulty on the shots that Curry takes and the shots that Bird takes is higher. Mainly because they can't just rise up and shoot over people normally all of the time.

I wouldn't take KD in a game of horse against Curry or Bird.

-Smak

Axe
09-03-2021, 02:05 AM
The so-called best shooter of the game was the biggest victim of the losers bracket back in may. The feasters? A hampered lakers team and the surging grizzlies. But since he averaged almost 40 points in b2b losses, as usual blame only goes to wiseman, wiggins, oubre and bazemore exclusively. 9th seed at best. Tough times without klay indeed. :(

Jasper
09-03-2021, 10:47 AM
I agree, he does drive to the basket, but there are times (not just last night) when you see him clearly pass up open mid-range and pass it off, instead of taking the open 2pt'er

I have stated this for years , there is a reason why an oriental blocked his shot when he was putting on a clinic - Curry shoots from his shoulder point then extends his arm , not extends
his arm and then shoots. That is why he can chuck long range 3's because he is not shooting from the top of his arm.
Because of that he has been blocked many times in his career in mid range shoots , because bigger players can walk into a block.
(just watch his release point , and you will know what I am talking about.)

72-10
09-04-2021, 05:10 AM
Like quite a few of the great three point shooters, Curry has such a quick release on his shot, that he still is not blocked so often that it is infeasible in the mid-range against taller defenders, meanwhile better mid-range shooters who were more heavily guarded than Curry in the mid-range, like Jordan and Bird, had long shot releases, in fact they were practically wind-ups, but their greater height against typically shorter defenders helped compensate for this lack of edge in their shooting mechanics.

GOBB
09-04-2021, 09:25 AM
He’s arguably the best but not the best imo. Jesus Shuttleworth is my lord and shooter

Shogon
09-04-2021, 10:19 AM
He’s arguably the best but not the best imo. Jesus Shuttleworth is my lord and shooter

You've actually got to be ****ing kidding me. I hope this is a joke because of the movie or whatever but...

How anyone could actually believe for a single second that Steph isn't the best shooter ever at this point? Like 5 years ago I guess the argument could be made that he wasn't... and I probably made it... just based on needing longevity.

But at this point? The track record speaks for itself.

Steph Curry is the greatest shooter in the history of the league and there isn't a particularly close 2nd. No disrespect to anyone but it's rather obvious there isn't a close 2nd.

I mean Steph Curry being the best shooter in league history might actually be the most very obviously... objectively true, not subjectively, objectively... statement to be made when ranking 'best' of anything in the history of the sport.

j3lademaster
09-04-2021, 11:29 AM
Steph is the goat shooter. Period. OP shows a clip where Steph makes a bad decision, which if I had to point out a weakness for him offensively that’d be it. But to question his shooting is silly. The volume, the efficiency, the degree of difficulty he attempts… is head and shoulders above whoever you wanna put at #2.

Bronbron23
09-04-2021, 12:01 PM
Not one to defend steph but if steph is anything it's the greatest shooter ever. This shouldn't even be an argument.

3ba11
09-04-2021, 12:48 PM
Not one to defend steph but if steph is anything it's the greatest shooter ever. This shouldn't even be an argument.

Steph is just a 3-point shooter

He isn't in the top 200 for 2-point jumpshooting

Bronbron23
09-04-2021, 12:58 PM
Steph is just a 3-point shooter

He isn't in the top 200 for 2-point jumpshooting

True but it's a different era. He dosn't not shoot 2's because he can't he dosn't shoot many because he shoots 3's almost just as good and they're worth more.

3ba11
09-04-2021, 01:02 PM
True but it's a different era. He dosn't not shoot 2's because he can't he dosn't shoot many because he shoots 3's almost just as good and they're worth more.

I misspoke earlier - Steph isn't in the top 500 for 2-point jumpshooting

2-point jumpshooting is valuable because it can be contested (there's no defense for them), so they're the best bailout shots and clutch shots.. Otoh, threes need to be more open - NBA com stats show that nearly 90% of threes are "open" (4-6 feet from closest defender), or "wide open" (6+ feet)... The figure is 80% for Curry.

Bronbron23
09-04-2021, 01:09 PM
I misspoke earlier - Steph isn't in the top 500 for 2-point jumpshooting

2-point jumpshooting is valuable because it can be contested (there's no defense for them), so they're the best bailout shots and clutch shots.. Otoh, threes need to be more open - NBA com stats show that nearly 90% of threes are "open" (4-6 feet from closest defender), or "wide open" (6+ feet)... The figure is 80% for Curry.

I agree it's valuable that's part of the reason why mj and say kobe are better players. This isn't who's the best player though it's who's the best shooter and when look at stephs insane 3 point shooting and foul shooting it's hard to argue.

3ba11
09-04-2021, 01:40 PM
I agree it's valuable that's part of the reason why mj and say kobe are better players. This isn't who's the best player though it's who's the best shooter and when look at stephs insane 3 point shooting and foul shooting it's hard to argue.

I just don't know how anyone can be considered the goat jumpshooter if they elevate and shoot contested 2-pointers.

Specifically, we all see Devin Booker take a couple dribbles before pulling-up, elevating and shooting contested 2-pointers - Curry can't do this

How can you be the goat jumpshooter if you can't pull-up off a hard-dribble, elevate and shoot contested jumpers - Curry almost never pulls up off a hard-dribble because he kind of can't, or at least he's bad at it.

Bronbron23
09-04-2021, 01:51 PM
I just don't know how anyone can be considered the goat jumpshooter if they elevate and shoot contested 2-pointers.

Specifically, we all see Devin Booker take a couple dribbles before pulling-up, elevating and shooting contested 2-pointers - Curry can't do this

How can you be the goat jumpshooter if you can't pull-up off a hard-dribble, elevate and shoot contested jumpers - Curry almost never pulls up off a hard-dribble because he kind of can't, or at least he's bad at it.

It's just different shooting styles. Booker like mj used elevation to get a good look. Curry uses his quick release. Neither is right or wrong. Both can have there advantages and disadvantages. Again i think curry with all the screens and rules in his favor would have no problem hitting jumpers from the mid but it makes more sense for him to shoot threes. That's the prevailing mindset these days. Is he as good of a mid jump shooter as kd, kawhi or mj definitely not but they aren't as good three point shooters or foul shooters.

72-10
09-05-2021, 07:45 PM
You've actually got to be ****ing kidding me. I hope this is a joke because of the movie or whatever but...

How anyone could actually believe for a single second that Steph isn't the best shooter ever at this point? Like 5 years ago I guess the argument could be made that he wasn't... and I probably made it... just based on needing longevity.

But at this point? The track record speaks for itself.

Steph Curry is the greatest shooter in the history of the league and there isn't a particularly close 2nd. No disrespect to anyone but it's rather obvious there isn't a close 2nd.

I mean Steph Curry being the best shooter in league history might actually be the most very obviously... objectively true, not subjectively, objectively... statement to be made when ranking 'best' of anything in the history of the sport.

Well, I disagree with a number of your observations, although it's rather minor, mostly due to poor choice of words. I think you need more than one season remotely close to 2015-16 to be referred to as the best of that craft (2016-17 happened and was good enough to warrant it). His shooting is not as great as you think when you consider:

1) he had great scoring options to defer the ball to, which drew the defense away from him, unlike the reality for Reggie, Dirk and MJ
2) his team set illegal screens so he could get open, or otherwise loose from his main defender, those other shooters had offensive systems that fostered their shooting abilities without their teammates cheating
3) he was not even the best active mid-range shooter, and still is NOT the best mid-range shooter in the world, and he does not have a fadeaway jump shot

There's a number of detracting statements to make about Curry's shooting that posters conveniently fail to address, but it's not as though he's had significant shooting woes in his career. Also, there are other more obvious "bests" at basketball skills, and since it's related to the topic, one is the traditional three-point play.