PDA

View Full Version : Where do you genuinely rank Curry all time? (Make one exception, trolls)

stalkerforlife
05-29-2019, 08:36 PM
Where do you GENUINELY rank him?

I think he's definitely top 15 and has a case for top 10.

His offensive impact is unlike anything we've ever seen.

Trapped 30 feet from basket.
Team plays 4 on 3.
Continuously moves without the ball, further confusing the entire defense.
Best long range shooter of all time off the dribble.

At LEAST top 15.

stalkerforlife
05-29-2019, 08:40 PM
And as much as we credit his shooting, he's incredibly underrated as a passer, an underrated rim finisher, and has all time great handles.

Great change of pace to offset a lack of superior athletic ability, too.

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
05-29-2019, 08:41 PM
Anywhere from 15-20.

Unreal offensive gravity with a GOAT combination of shooting and handles. Curry changed the game.

I think he's got a chance here, without Durant, to supersede MANY legends this finals. Assuming he plays well and wins a FMVP of course.

Mr. Jabbar
05-29-2019, 08:42 PM
TOP 10

Enter Chef MANDINGO, exit LeEast

Dray n Klay
05-29-2019, 08:42 PM

Team plays 4 on 3.

At LEAST top 15.

Where do you rank Bran?

stalkerforlife
05-29-2019, 08:44 PM
Where do you rank Bran?

I'll genuinely rank him after you genuinely rank Curry.

NBAGOAT
05-29-2019, 08:45 PM
top 20 for now, could move up a little with a fmvp maybe borderline 15. there are some real greats in the top 15 however

Mr. Jabbar
05-29-2019, 08:49 PM
I'll genuinely rank him after you genuinely rank Curry.

fair enough.

go ahead d n k...

Rank the chef.

rank the Dingo.

Rank the chef Man-Dingo

Vino24
05-29-2019, 08:52 PM
20-25 with a fmvp moves him up to top 15 with a threat at top 12

Bronbron23
05-29-2019, 09:14 PM

Team plays 4 on 3.

At LEAST top 15.
He's a hard guy to rank because of his mediocre finals performances and his lack of defence. Probably somewhere between 15-20 though.

Vino24
05-29-2019, 09:15 PM
He's a hard guy to rank because of his mediocre finals performances and his lack of defence. Probably somewhere between 15-20 though.
Better averages than Kobe in the finals :confusedshrug:

Bronbron23
05-29-2019, 09:25 PM
Yeah but Kobe played in a tougher era defensively and either way they were both pretty mediocre. Steph was a little less mediocre offensively sure. Kobe was a way better defender though and that heavily outweighs Steph's slightly better scoring averages so Kobe still gets the edge

stalkerforlife
05-29-2019, 09:27 PM

Steph Curry's Finals averages:
2018: 27.5 pts, 6.8 ast, 6.0 reb
2017: 26.8 pts, 5.4 ast, 8.2 reb
2016: 22.6 pts, 3.7 ast, 4.9 reb
2015: 26.0 pts, 6.3 ast, 5.2 reb

:no:

bigkingsfan
05-29-2019, 09:34 PM
Two FMVP and he's top 10. For now 25.

Bronbron23
05-29-2019, 09:34 PM
Steph Curry's Finals averages:
2018: 27.5 pts, 6.8 ast, 6.0 reb
2017: 26.8 pts, 5.4 ast, 8.2 reb
2016: 22.6 pts, 3.7 ast, 4.9 reb
2015: 26.0 pts, 6.3 ast, 5.2 reb

:no:
When I say mediocre it's relative to his standard that he set during the regular season. His scoring was pretty much the same exluding 2016 but he was less efficient. Also if you go game by game he was rarely the best player on the floor. Most of the time he wasn't even the best player on his team

SamuraiSWISH
05-29-2019, 09:47 PM
Top 25 for now, but ...

Anywhere from 15-20.

Unreal offensive gravity with a GOAT combination of shooting and handles. Curry changed the game.

I think he's got a chance here, without Durant, to supersede MANY legends this finals. Assuming he plays well and wins a FMVP of course.

Agreed. With no KD. Dominating performances without being over shadowed, I absolutely agreed

Celtics 1825
05-29-2019, 10:21 PM
Right now top 20, moves into top 15 if he wins FMVP.

MrFonzworth
05-29-2019, 10:23 PM
Top 20 for now, if he were to retire today. Will hit the top 10 soon.

SamuraiSWISH
05-29-2019, 10:23 PM
He’s not top 15 LOL Jesus Christ

diamenz
05-29-2019, 10:24 PM
hard to say right now. i'd give him top 20 with potential for top 15. if he were a defensive beast, top 10 would probably be a lock. maybe i'm just living in the moment. bump in ten years.

sammichoffate
05-29-2019, 10:47 PM
I would say top 20

tpols
05-29-2019, 11:07 PM
[QUOTE=SamuraiSWISH]He

stalkerforlife
05-29-2019, 11:13 PM
[QUOTE=SamuraiSWISH]He

stalkerforlife
05-29-2019, 11:16 PM
guys like KG and Dirk and west and oscar are typically put around there...

Curry engine'd a dynasty that produced more winning than all of them combined.

smarten up coach.

top 10.

There's no doubt in my mind that he's better than KG; the offensive impact outweighs the defensive difference.

I love Dirk and I HATE to say it, but he has to be considered ahead of Dirk.

houston
05-29-2019, 11:17 PM
top 25 due to his size and position he will never be all time top 10 great.

Bronbron23
05-29-2019, 11:19 PM

smarten up coach.

top 10.
The warriors weren't a dynasty before kd. One asterisk chip and an all time choke job dosnt make you a dynasty. If the warriors beat the raps and curry gets fmvp than he'd have a good argument for top 10.

stalkerforlife
05-29-2019, 11:20 PM
top 25 due to his size and position he will never be all time top 10 great.

There will be no choice if he ends up with 5+ rings.

His presence orchestrated a dynasty.

His abilities and style changed the game forever.

Bronbron23
05-29-2019, 11:24 PM
There's no doubt in my mind that he's better than KG; the offensive impact outweighs the defensive difference.

I love Dirk and I HATE to say it, but he has to be considered ahead of Dirk.
I don't know. If you take kg of that Celtics team and dirk off that Mavs team they don't make it out of the first round or two. The warriors breezed through the first round without curry and we're up 2-1 against Portland in round 2.

stalkerforlife
05-29-2019, 11:26 PM
The warriors weren't a dynasty before kd. One asterisk chip and an all time choke job dosnt make you a dynasty. If the warriors beat the raps and curry gets fmvp than he'd have a good argument for top 10.

2015 isn't an asterisk; Bran's super team consisted of SELF MADE stars.

Curry's help is considered stars because of HIM; they were drafted and molded by GS and the Curry system.

Bran choked 2015 because he couldn't stay efficient as a volume scorer.

Curry had the most efficient 4th quarter only numbers in NBA finals history at about 11 points on average.

2016 was fixed. The series was over in 5. The Dray suspension to push the series for ad revenue and protect Bran's brand created an avalanche as Bogut went down and Iggy got hurt.

Why do you people always think you can sweep the 2016 rig under the rug? Not going to happen when you're dealing with real basketball aficionados.

RRR3
05-29-2019, 11:42 PM

Curry's help is considered stars because of HIM; they were drafted and molded by GS and the Curry system.

Curry had the most efficient 4th quarter only numbers in NBA finals history at about 11 points on average.

2016 was fixed. The series was over in 5. The Dray suspension to push the series for ad revenue and protect Bran's brand created an avalanche as Bogut went down and Iggy got hurt.

Why do you people always think you can sweep the 2016 rig under the rug? Not going to happen when you're dealing with real basketball aficionados.
Mozgov and Dellavedova=supastahs.

:roll:

stalkerforlife
05-29-2019, 11:47 PM
Mozgov and Dellavedova=supastahs.

:roll:

Point being, it was completely lopsided and unfair if Love and Kyrie played.

It evened out without them.

But Bran, unlike Curry, destroys his own teams with Bran ball.

Curry maximizes teammates to the point of people labeling them superstars.

Bran simply choked because he can't hack it as a volume scorer.

RRR3
05-29-2019, 11:51 PM
:cletus:
:cletus:

Bronbron23
05-29-2019, 11:57 PM

Curry's help is considered stars because of HIM; they were drafted and molded by GElS and the Curry system.

Why do you people always think you can sweep the 2016 rug under the rug? Not going to happen when you're dealing with real basketball aficionados.

No. Curry didn't make Dray and Klay. There numbers and impact would be just as good if
it better withoutt curry. Klay Thompsons numbers and impact were the same if not slightly better without curry. The warriors offence was only slightly worse without him but there defence was slightly better.

Bron didn't choke he was just forced into being a volume scorer because his number 2 and 3 scoring options were gone. Bron isn't a volume scorer he's more of a facilitator that pics his spots. That said yeah his lack of a jump shot and iso moves in the half court was a problem.

Curry's 4th quarter points were often in games they were blowing the team out. He often struggled in tight games in the 4th and was absolute trash in game 7 in the 4th in 2016.

The series was not fixed lol. I love Draymond but he's a hot head who could literally be kicked out of every game he plays. Plus if curry is the system like you claim then his 3rd best player going down shouldn't be the end all and be all.

RRR3
05-29-2019, 11:59 PM
LeBron takes almost 20 shots a game for his career. Lmao at him not being a volume scorer. Unless you're using volume scorer to mean inefficient.

stalkerforlife
05-30-2019, 12:07 AM
When Bran had to shoot more in the 2015 finals, he shot 39%, 31%, and choked at the FT line at 68%.

He doesn't have the skill set to create shots consistently.

But thankfully for him, the NBA allows him to play illegally with stiff arms and shoulder spearing.

Still didn't work.

RRR3
05-30-2019, 12:08 AM
LeBron made you so mad in 2016 you got yourself arrested.

:yaohappy:

stalkerforlife
05-30-2019, 12:08 AM
No. Curry didn't make Dray and Klay. There numbers and impact would be just as good if
it better withoutt curry. Klay Thompsons numbers and impact were the same if not slightly better without curry. The warriors offence was only slightly worse without him but there defence was slightly better.

Bron didn't choke he was just forced into being a volume scorer because his number 2 and 3 scoring options were gone. Bron isn't a volume scorer he's more of a facilitator that pics his spots. That said yeah his lack of a jump shot and iso moves in the half court was a problem.

Curry's 4th quarter points were often in games they were blowing the team out. He often struggled in tight games in the 4th and was absolute trash in game 7 in the 4th in 2016.

The series was not fixed lol. I love Draymond but he's a hot head who could literally be kicked out of every game he plays. Plus if curry is the system like you claim then his 3rd best player going down shouldn't be the end all and be all.

No.

stalkerforlife
05-30-2019, 12:09 AM
LeBron made you so mad in 2016 you got yourself arrested.

:yaohappy:

This is how fake you are.

As if that was why I got arrested.

I joked about it, but obviously I wouldn't get arrested over a loser like Bran.

RRR3
05-30-2019, 12:11 AM
This is how fake you are.

As if that was why I got arrested.

I joked about it, but obviously I wouldn't get arrested over a loser like Bran.
IDK man LeBron seems to send you into a mindless rage. I can practically hear you pounding your keyboard, screaming "BRAAAAAAAAAAAAAN!!!!!" at the top of your lungs.

Big164
05-30-2019, 12:11 AM
1. GOAT Shooter
2. Revolutionized Basketball
3. Created Dynasty in the Meat of Lebron

1987_Lakers
05-30-2019, 12:15 AM
I'm not gonna rank him because his career isn't over, but if we are talking about peak, he is up there with Magic as the greatest peak ever for a PG.

Bronbron23
05-30-2019, 12:23 AM
[QUOTE=Big164]1. GOAT Shooter

scuzzy
05-30-2019, 12:26 AM

He'll breeze past Stockton + Oscar

All time level though vs other Top 10's, his height and physicality limits him.

Unlike others ATG's, Curry can't guard the best and when gets matched with other top PG's, he doesn't. Klay does

Can't critisize the greatness about his offensive impact. But other Top 10's didn't fairy off in the corner to stand with Rodney Hood while Klay battles with Lillard

Opposing teams target him, all game

1987_Lakers
05-30-2019, 12:29 AM

He'll breeze past Stockton + Oscar

All time level though vs other Top 10's, his height and physicality limits him.

Unlike others ATG's, Curry can't guard the best and when gets matched with other top PG's, he doesn't. Klay does

Can't critisize the greatness about his offensive impact. But other Top 10's didn't fairy off in the corner to stand with Rodney Hood while Klay battles with Lillard

Opposing teams target him, all game

Magic couldn't play defense either, but he is considered top 10 by mostly everyone.

Bronbron23
05-30-2019, 12:32 AM
I'm not gonna rank him because his career isn't over, but if we are talking about peak, he is up there with Magic as the greatest peak ever for a PG.
Are you crazy? Curry is not up there with peak magic. Name a finals where curry put up 26/13/8 on 54% shooting while winning fmvp against another goat team and player :facepalm

1987_Lakers
05-30-2019, 12:40 AM
Are you crazy? Curry is not up there with peak magic. Name a finals where curry put up 26/13/8 on 54% shooting while winning fmvp against another goat team and player :facepalm

He is, as a straight up player Curry and Magic are on the same level. Curry is not only the greatest shooter ever, but the greatest scoring point guard ever, and the most efficient point guard of all time with a 65 TS% since 2015. That alone puts him on Magic's level.

But both play a different style so it's hard to compare. I don't think people realize how much Curry has sacrificed since KD joined the Warriors, if KD didn't join GS...Curry from 2017-2019 probably puts a repeat of his 2016 season. We already saw how deadly Curry is this postseason with no KD. 36/8/7 on 66 TS% in the WCF, that is top 10 ever stuff.

NBAGOAT
05-30-2019, 12:46 AM

I mean curry did put up 27/8/9 vs a cavs team not too different from their title version with lebron. He shouldn

AirFederer
05-30-2019, 12:48 AM

smarten up coach.

top 10.
This

Easily top 10

AirFederer
05-30-2019, 12:49 AM
[QUOTE=Big164]1. GOAT Shooter

superduper
05-30-2019, 01:05 AM
Man curry fans are in denial.

1. Yes he's the goat shooter.
2.he didn't revolutionize basketball Daryl Morey did. It's not sexy but it's facts. He's responsible for why three point attempts are way up. Curry just popularized with fans.
3.he didn't create a dynasty. In the 7 years curry played before kd came he only had one asterisk chip and a great regular season with a major 3-1 choke job. That's hardly a dynasty.

Curry made it a reality. I don't know what you don't understand about that. No one else in history scored on the efficiency and volume that Curry did. Not even close.

You can imagine a hypothetical 70% 3pt shooting team strategy all you want and make theory all you want but it's all useless unless you have someone to bring it to reality. Steph Curry created an offensive impact of quite a large magnitude pretty much never seen before.

How do you deny this?

scuzzy
05-30-2019, 01:12 AM
Magic couldn't play defense either, but he is considered top 10 by mostly everyone.
When Magic entered the league he was a good. Not elite, but good. After his first 5yrs became average, losing lateral quickness to knee injuries

6'9 PG with versatility to guard multiple positions? Very few he guarded could shoot over him or post him up.

Magic knew how to use his size to disrupt the passing lanes, funnel his man into Kareerm/Cooper. He won 2 steals titles and pulled down more defensive boards than most small forwards. 7th in defensive win shares one year and 56th all-time (?)

Nowhere near Curry or Nash liability where opposing teams would try and exploit defensively every time down the floor. Magic could guard the switch, teams head hunt Curry

1987_Lakers
05-30-2019, 01:26 AM
Magic knew how to use his size to disrupt the passing lanes, funnel his man into Kareerm/Cooper. He won 2 steals titles and pulled down more defensive boards than most small forwards. 7th in defensive win shares one year and 56th all-time (?)

Funny thing is, Curry also led the league in steals at one point.

Fact is Curry's defense isn't as bad as people make it out to be, he is average man defender, but he too is good at disrupting passing lanes and has good anticipation.

Opposing players switch onto Curry because GS is loaded with defensive players...Klay, Iggy, Green, Durant, all these guys are good defenders so it would make sense to switch onto Curry. It doesn't make him a bad defender, just not as good as his teammates.

scuzzy
05-30-2019, 02:56 AM

Fact is Curry's defense isn't as bad as people make it out to be, he is average man defender, but he too is good at disrupting passing lanes and has good anticipation.

Opposing players switch onto Curry because GS is loaded with defensive players...Klay, Iggy, Green, Durant, all these guys are good defenders so it would make sense to switch onto Curry. It doesn't make him a bad defender, just not as good as his teammates.

You said it, his teamates help defense is HOF from top to bottom

Put him on D'antoni's mid 00's squads, Amare who was a power forward with Boris playing the five at 6’8 :lol Dude's getting roasted in highlights worse than Steve did.

You can let anyone slip by on man D when your 2nd line of defense is Klay and Igguodala, with your 3rd wave being Green, Durant and Cousins. They are his umbrella of defensive criticism

Dame guards Curry
Westbrook guards Curry
Even Kyrie guards Curry

Steph doesn't check them

"and their putting Curry in the pick n roll trying to get him on....." (https://youtu.be/0-yh0hf7sBU?t=33)

You can slice n dice it how you want, no other ATG players get subbed out and the end of games for being a liability that much on defense. Kerr routinely takes Curry out

Not just a breather, but actual final possessions (https://youtu.be/oragndFFa8o?t=206)

Bronbron23
05-30-2019, 07:59 AM
Curry made it a reality. I don't know what you don't understand about that. No one else in history scored on the efficiency and volume that Curry did. Not even close.

You can imagine a hypothetical 70% 3pt shooting team strategy all you want and make theory all you want but it's all useless unless you have someone to bring it to reality. Steph Curry created an offensive impact of quite a large magnitude pretty much never seen before.

How do you deny this?
I don't deny that curry did it the best but the the notion that he revolutionized it is just not true. Daryl Morey came up with the analytics of why shooting more threes is good and his team started the trend. There's articles and stats to back this up. It's not even debatable. Yes curry popularized with fans and but that's pretty much it. Orlando was also responsible for this trend as well.

I put the proof on here before but y'all just ignored I guess so here it is again.

Curry came into the NBA in 2009-10. the warriors as a team were 7th in the league in three attempts at 20 a game. Houston was 4th at 22 and Orlando was 1st at 27.

In 2010-11 and 2011-12 all those stats were almost identical and Orlando was still first.

In 2012-13 Daryl Morey came up with the analytics of why shooting more threes make sense and rockets shot from 20 a game to 30 a game( the most ever at that point) and were first in the league. Warriors shot the same at only 20 a game. They were like 14th in the league. This is the year the real revolution began.

In 2013-14 the warriors followed suit and shot 5 more threes a game but we're still a couple behind the rockets who were first again.

In 2014-15 both the rockets and the warriors shot a few more threes but the warriors we're still a few behind the rockets who were again first.

In 2015-16 the warriors shot 4 more threes a game(31.8) and for the first time were first and shot one more three a game than the rockets(30.7).

In 2016-17 Houston took the revolution even further and shot up from 30 a game to 40 a game absolutely destroying the three point record. The warriors shot the same amount as the previous year(30.5) and dropped to 5th.

The last 2 years this trend has stayed the same. The rockets have remained number 1 and have shot about 10 more threes than the warriors.

Side note: the warriors actually shot more threes the few seasons before Steph curry until the rockets and Morey came up with the whole analytic thing in 2012 and the warriors followed suit.

So there you go. I just showed you how Daryl Morey and the rockets are responsible for how the game has changed so how exactly did Steph curry revolutionize the game?

ImKobe
05-30-2019, 08:13 AM

That's completely false. Kobe's 08-10 averages are better and he played elite defenses vs Curry playing Cavs' below-average defense every year while having Klay or Durant to bail him out.

Defense ranks for Cavs

2015: 18th
2016: 10th
2017: 21st
2018: 29th

meanwhile Kobe's Finals opponents

01: 5th
02: 1st
04: 2nd
08: 1st
09: 1st
10: 5th

top 5 defense in all the years he played healthy in the Finals and 04 Pistons/08 Celtics have the two best defenses of the modern NBA.

Bronbron23
05-30-2019, 08:37 AM

Nah man Steph is a pretty bad defender. He gets used on a regular. He often gets into foul trouble alot because of it. He does try hard I'll give him that but he's below average defender.

iamgine
05-30-2019, 08:48 AM
I don't deny that curry did it the best but the the notion that he revolutionized it is just not true. Daryl Morey came up with the analytics of why shooting more threes is good and his team started the trend. There's articles and stats to back this up. It's not even debatable. Yes curry popularized with fans and but that's pretty much it. Orlando was also responsible for this trend as well.

I put the proof on here before but y'all just ignored I guess so here it is again.

Curry came into the NBA in 2009-10. the warriors as a team were 7th in the league in three attempts at 20 a game. Houston was 4th at 22 and Orlando was 1st at 27.

In 2010-11 and 2011-12 all those stats were almost identical and Orlando was still first.

In 2012-13 Daryl Morey came up with the analytics of why shooting more threes make sense and rockets shot from 20 a game to 30 a game( the most ever at that point) and were first in the league. Warriors shot the same at only 20 a game. They were like 14th in the league. This is the year the real revolution began.

In 2013-14 the warriors followed suit and shot 5 more threes a game but we're still a couple behind the rockets who were first again.

In 2014-15 both the rockets and the warriors shot a few more threes but the warriors we're still a few behind the rockets who were again first.

In 2015-16 the warriors shot 4 more threes a game(31.8) and for the first time were first and shot one more three a game than the rockets(30.7).

In 2016-17 Houston took the revolution even further and shot up from 30 a game to 40 a game absolutely destroying the three point record. The warriors shot the same amount as the previous year(30.5) and dropped to 5th.

The last 2 years this trend has stayed the same. The rockets have remained number 1 and have shot about 10 more threes than the warriors.

Side note: the warriors actually shot more threes the few seasons before Steph curry until the rockets and Morey came up with the whole analytic thing in 2012 and the warriors followed suit.

So there you go. I just showed you how Daryl Morey and the rockets are responsible for how the game has changed so how exactly did Steph curry revolutionize the game?
I don't think people are talking about Curry as the reason teams starting to take more 3s. Teams were already taking more 3s every year since its introduction.

I think when people talk about Curry revolutionizing the game, it's more about the distance of his shooting, and now we are seeing other players do it too. He is inspiring a new generation of young talents who is now working to have unlimited range.

brooks_thompson
05-30-2019, 08:57 AM
He's still in the 20s, will probably be just inside the top 15 for me when he's done, a tiny bit below Durant. Basically Kobe-tier, aka just outside the 10 or 11 true tier A dudes. Maybe I'm underrating Curry (and Durant), but I'm not one to get caught up in the present.

Big164
05-30-2019, 09:31 AM
Daryl Morey was still a virgin in College when Dell Curry first started launching 3

Bronbron23
05-30-2019, 10:24 AM
I don't think people are talking about Curry as the reason teams starting to take more 3s. Teams were already taking more 3s every year since its introduction.

I think when people talk about Curry revolutionizing the game, it's more about the distance of his shooting, and now we are seeing other players do it too. He is inspiring a new generation of young talents who is now working to have unlimited range.
Ok ill give you that but I wouldn't call that revolutionizing the game. There's only a few guys doing that consistently and for everyone else it's not even winning basketball because none of them can shoot like curry.

Bronbron23
05-30-2019, 10:27 AM
[QUOTE=Big164]Daryl Morey was still a virgin in College when Dell Curry first started launching 3

RoseCity07
05-30-2019, 10:41 AM
One spot ahead of Kobe.

iamgine
05-30-2019, 10:53 AM
Ok ill give you that but I wouldn't call that revolutionizing the game. There's only a few guys doing that consistently and for everyone else it's not even winning basketball because none of them can shoot like curry.
Whether you call it that or not doesn't matter. People are calling it that.