PDA

View Full Version : Rodman made the hall of fame. And Mutombo. Ben Wallace will soon.

Kblaze8855
06-12-2019, 06:24 AM
Ben was a finalist and will make it one of these next few years. Maybe not next years with Kobe, KG, and Duncan all up for spots and clearly being first ballot....but soon. Year after that its Pierce and Manu the biggest names I think so....maybe then. Ben is gonna make it though. And Chris Webber though thats not related to my question.....

We had a pretty good group of defense only guys get that level of love in recent years.

Does this era have that guy?

Is it Draymond and thats it?

Who is the non scoring future hall of famer we have going if its not him?

Dwight is a HOF lock(you can disagree and be wrong if you like) but he was a 20+ ppg guy unlike these others being discussed. Mutombo likely could have been an 18-19 a game guy before he stopped being aggressive on offense and let those skills atrophy(he used to get the ball as a roll man and go back up hard on offensive rebounds...throw in a couple ugly hooks he could give you 16-20 early in his career). Ignoring that and just looking at reality.....these guys(Rodman/mutombo/Ben) are hall of fame for defense and rebounding.

If someone now ere gonna be that....other than Dray...who would it be?

Gobert? DJ? Drummond? Noah for his run?

Thats 4 rather large thumbs down.

Leonard will be a HOF guy obviously but hes also a bigtime scorer.

Marc Gasol isnt on that level though he was a DPOY. Artest wont make it.

Does it feel like offense is so clearly the focus these days nobody is gonna be as notorious for defense as some guys used to be able to be?

Is there anything Rudy Gobert could do to have the reputation prime Mutombo, Wallace, and Rodman had as a legit star on that end?

I feel like the answer is no.

The focus being outside the lane has made it more important to be able to switch and move your feet than to do anything obvious like shut down the lane by stopping people at the rim. We dont give a **** Andre Drummond has been getting 14-16 rebounds a game for like 4-5 years.

Bigs and their numbers are largely irrelevant now in the minds of most.

Are we just done with the true defensive stars?

Or were there none to begin with and those guys just made/will make the HOF due to the low standards the basketball hall has?

You giving your HOF vote to someone who never scored 17ppg? And if so....can you imagine giving it to anyone out right now?

Loco 50
06-12-2019, 06:45 AM
It doesn't sit well with me that Dwight gets in the hall.

I know you're right, but I don't like it. One f'n bit.

As for defensive guys today, we'll never know because of the rule changes (especially on the perimeter), although I'd assume Giannis will.

Kblaze8855
06-12-2019, 07:12 AM
Giannis put up 28ppg this year in somewhat low minutes. You finish second or whatever it was in the NBA in scoring I think youre off the defense only list. He put up 26ppg in the playoffs while being clowned for not having offense. His issue is perception not reality. Guys like Melo, Nique, Alex English, Vince Carter, and Tmac are rightly known as scorers but they wont score much more than the 28 he just did and didnt generally do any more in the playoffs either even if you restrict it to scoring. 26ppg is a pretty normal great scorer postseason run.

Giannis is gonna score a lot before hes done.

Loco 50
06-12-2019, 08:12 AM
Yeah, I checked out what his offensive numbers were after I wrote that and fair enough, but I'll say 28 today is not the same 28 those players put up.

It's very difficult to judge players from different decades capabilities with the profound rule changes that have taken place.

There is an abundance of inflated points/assists (in comparison to the past)due to increased pace, better shooting, and the banning of defense with increased boards due to the aforementioned pace which is why I don't think anybody is impressed by Drummond's numbers when compared to Rodman.

houston
06-12-2019, 08:37 AM
if gobert keep it up

Kblaze8855
06-12-2019, 10:10 AM
Youre right that todays 28 isnt the same as 28 from some eras....but not many. Todays 28 isnt Tmacs 28....the early 2000s were kinda like a scoring dead zone. But compared to the 80s? Not too far off. Giannis would be running his ass off in some of those guys spots. English for one....way better shooter and one on one scorer....but hes on a 127ppg team that did it without threes. That much running? Giannis could cruise to the same kinda numbers.

Hed be totally uncontainable in the 60s of course. Much of the 70s too. The mid 90s to mid 2000s is where he might suffer. But hes too much of a monster running the floor to be stopped in the other eras with the way they would let you run.

Imagine Giannis playing a team that gives up 131ppg like the early 90s Nuggets. They gave up 194 in a preseason game. Gave up 186 to the suns. Washed up nearly retired Bird played them and playing only one half each game...one half...had 12/19/12 and 21/15/13 5 days apart. In like 19 minutes. They gave up 154ppg over a 7 game stretch including 173 to the Suns. They had a game where they allowed 6 players off a teams bench to hit double figures.

Giannis would have 35 in 22 minutes one of those games.

The era thing is fair to point out. But not for all eras. Giannis would be a monster in the 60s, 70s, 80s, and early 90s....then look worse than he does now from like 95-05.

For the most part hed be fine. Hed be a star no matter the era. Get called for a bunch of travels before the 90s though. I mean a LOT.