PDA

View Full Version : Top 10 Players (By Ben Taylor)

LostCause
06-15-2019, 01:38 PM
From the guy that brought us the Backpicks list and the Thinking Basketball videos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93zief7g2Jk

Healthy
1. Curry
2. Giannis
3. Kevin Durant
4. Anthony Davis
5. Kawhi Leonard
6. Lebron James
7. James Harden
8. Joel Embid
9.Paul George
10. Jokic

Including injuries:
1. Curry/Giannis
3. Anthony Davis
4. Kawhi Leonard
5. James Harden
6. Lebron James
7. Jokic
8. Embid
9. George
10. Damian Lillard

SouBeachTalents
06-15-2019, 01:41 PM
AD way too high

And Kawhi & Durant (healthy) > Giannis, at least for now

Manny98
06-15-2019, 01:42 PM
The guy definitely knows his basketball so i agree with his list. AD is getting heavily underrated because he's on a garbage ass team. People don't realize how much of a monster he actually is

Pair LeBron with AD It's over

ArbitraryWater
06-15-2019, 02:09 PM
Informative video, although too numbers based for me.

But the backpicks show how smart he is.

FKAri
06-15-2019, 02:12 PM
Is this going into next year? Because a hurt Kawhi outplayed Giannis. Also, I didn't know that Curry was "unhealthy" in this Finals. Get better lil fella.

brooks_thompson
06-15-2019, 03:50 PM
I'm at a loss how even the smartest basketball guys devote so much time and energy to plain old player rankings. There's so much more to talk about...hardly no one brings up the brilliance of individual plays, whether they're drawn up or broken...everybody just wants a damn top 5 or top 10 list. High Fidelity (John Cusack) mentality has taken over the world.

keep-itreal
06-15-2019, 03:53 PM
Why is Anthony Davis #5? What has he accomplished in this league to warrant being top 5?

Kawhi just won a title and FMVP but he's not better than AD, Giannis and Curry?

Garbage ass list

superduper
06-15-2019, 03:53 PM
The guy definitely knows his basketball so i agree with his list. AD is getting heavily underrated because he's on a garbage ass team. People don't realize how much of a monster he actually is

Pair LeBron with AD It's over

Jrue Holiday has more impact in his pinky than AD has ever had in his entire body + his ugly ass eyebrow. Dude is straight trash. Bran stans stay sucking $tats *****.

superduper
06-15-2019, 03:54 PM
Why is Anthony Davis #5? What has he accomplished in this league to warrant being top 5?

Kawhi just won a title and FMVP but he's not better than AD, Giannis and Curry?

Garbage ass list

Yeah the list is garbage. AD is AT BEST borderline top 10. Top 15-20 more realistically.

NBAGOAT
06-15-2019, 03:54 PM
Giannis got valued for his dpoy lvl defense, feel like I should’ve considered it a lot too. His offense as Taylor says isn’t top 5 and needs work. However if gobert is top 10-15 for his defense, Giannis could still be really up there for his.

Edit: and he’s basically looking at ad pre trade request because that’s his actual lvl. Taylor has a huge emphasis on passing(why kawhi is low) and ad improved greatly there according to him. I still think he might be too high but on another note, jrues become kind of overrated.

Doranku
06-15-2019, 03:55 PM
How could anyone think Steph Curry is the best player in the league after these playoffs? :lol

ArbitraryWater
06-15-2019, 03:57 PM
How could anyone think Steph Curry is the best player in the league after these playoffs? :lol

or Giannis being better than Kawhi..

this is what happens when you forget to analyze play and just go by stats

3ball
06-15-2019, 04:11 PM
From the guy that brought us the Backpicks list and the Thinking Basketball videos

Healthy
1. Curry
2. Giannis
3. Kevin Durant
4. Anthony Davis
5. Kawhi Leonard
6. Lebron James
7. James Harden
8. Joel Embid
9.Paul George
10. Jokic

Including injuries:
1. Curry/Giannis
3. Anthony Davis
4. Kawhi Leonard
5. James Harden
6. Lebron James
7. Jokic
8. Embid
9. George
10. Damian Lillard
What's better:

Ball-dominant passing but weak teamwork...... or versatile, timely scoring ability that results in good teamwork and more winning??

I go with the latter, so Kawhi must be #1

Otherwise, it's harden or lebron's ball-domination stat-padding..

Just depends on what you prefer (winning vs losing)

NBAGOAT
06-15-2019, 04:15 PM
What's better:

Ball-dominant passing but weak teamwork...... or versatile, timely scoring ability that results in good teamwork and more winning??

I go with the latter, so Kawhi must be #1

Otherwise, it's harden or lebron's ball-domination stat-padding..

Just depends on what you prefer (winning vs losing)

He actually addresses it in the video and I agree with him. Kawhis iso heavy scoring with meh passing is great for carrying bad teams but not as useful on great teams. You

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
06-15-2019, 04:21 PM
Probably in the minority, but I still think Lebron is better than Giannis. And AD.

At least he was...when healthy.

3ball
06-15-2019, 04:27 PM
He actually addresses it in the video and I agree with him. Kawhis iso heavy scoring with meh passing is great for carrying bad teams but not as useful on great teams. You’ll hate it but he has curry as the ultimate teamwork guy.
Actually, ball-dominance carries bad teams as well as anything..

Otoh, Kawhi's quick, efficient iso's and lack of ball-dominance fits into good teams well

The problem is that most guys don't iso without lengthy ball-dominance (harden, lebron), and do so inefficiently (lebron), so they aren't nearly as effective at winning as kawhi

Manny98
06-15-2019, 04:30 PM
Jrue Holiday has more impact in his pinky than AD has ever had in his entire body + his ugly ass eyebrow. Dude is straight trash. Bran stans stay sucking $tats *****.
That's why the Pelicans become the worst team in the NBA when AD doesn't play:oldlol:

NBAGOAT
Actually, ball-dominance carries bad teams as well as anything..

Kawhi's quick iso's and lack of ball-dominance fits into good teams well

Kawhis not that quick however, he

Bankaii
Probably in the minority, but I still think Lebron is better than Giannis. And AD.

At least he was...when healthy.
I agree. Before injury LeBron was easily top 5 to me.
His injury and missing the playoffs had him becoming seriously underrated, as crazy as that sounds.

3ball
06-15-2019, 04:34 PM
His injury and missing the playoffs had him becoming seriously underrated, as crazy as that sounds.
20-14 equals 48 wins, which ties the Clippers - but clippers win tiebreaker, so no playoffs regardless of injury

And we already know the Lakers schedule was easy early, and tough late - that's why the Lakers lost when bron returned from injury, despite Lebron's standard 28/8/8 and Ingram balling out

The West simply exposed him - his ball-dominant stat-padding didn't work in the West without star teammates like it did in the East from 06-10'

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
06-15-2019, 04:40 PM

I watched most of his games this season. A lot from Giannis too.

There was nothing Giannis did better except play defense. A huge gap there of course, but I agree about your playoff point. The last few years Lebron has paced himself for the playoffs - where he gets better on both ends.

Lebron had good rs stats. But "eye test" still points to top 3. Maybe 4. Top 6 is definitely underrating him.

ArbitraryWater
06-15-2019, 05:00 PM
https://twitter.com/stephenasmith/status/1139553403812634624

even SAS got it right

3ball
06-15-2019, 05:07 PM
I watched most of his games this season. A lot from Giannis too.

There was nothing Giannis did better except play defense. A huge gap there of course, but I agree about your playoff point. The last few years Lebron has paced himself for the playoffs - where he gets better on both ends.

Lebron had good rs stats. But "eye test" still points to top 3. Maybe 4. Top 6 is definitely underrating him.
More bias, jfc

Giannis attacked the rim WAY better than lebron and broke the dunk record - 279 dunks for Giannis compared to lebron's 85 (career high of 145 in 2017)

Remember Giannis backing down Ben Simmons like he was his dad and then dunking on him like Shaq over Dudley?

Like, lebron can't do that.. and never could... Get lebron's nuts out ya mouth brah.. shits embarrassing.. you used to be a good poster

Xiao Yao You
06-15-2019, 05:09 PM
More bias, jfc

Giannis attacked the rim WAY better than lebron and broke the dunk record - 279 dunks for Giannis compared to lebron's 85 (career high of 145 in 2017)

Remember Giannis backing down Ben Simmons like he was his dad and then dunking on him like Shaq over Dudley?

Like, lebron can't do that.. and never could... Get lebron's nuts out ya mouth brah.. shits embarrassing.. you used to be a good poster

Gobert broke the dunk record

ArbitraryWater
06-15-2019, 05:15 PM
More bias, jfc

he used to be far more bron supportive than now dummie, you're getting the anti version

3ball
06-15-2019, 05:35 PM
he used to be far more bron supportive than now dummie, you're getting the anti version
The guy just said lebron attacks the rim as good as Giannis, despite getting half the dunks and being unable to "Shaq" guys on the block like Giannis

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=iPdA7AZHvkQ

Saying Giannis doesn't attack the rim better than Lebron?? And 34-year old Lebron????? Ridiculous... :facepalm ... It's gotta be bias because Kuniva isn't a dumb guy

Mr Feeny
06-15-2019, 06:21 PM
The guy just said lebron attacks the rim as good as Giannis, despite getting half the dunks and being unable to "Shaq" guys on the block like Giannis

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=iPdA7AZHvkQ

Saying Giannis doesn't attack the rim better than Lebron?? And 34-year old Lebron????? Ridiculous... :facepalm ... It's gotta be bias because Kuniva isn't a dumb guy

Maybe he is factoring in the fact that Lebron is a perimeter player and Giannis starts in the paint so should have an easier time getting dunks? Because other than that. I cant see an argument for lebron being better ag attacking the rim than Giannis.

warriorfan
06-15-2019, 06:24 PM

Healthy
1. Curry
2. Giannis
3. Kevin Durant
4. Anthony Davis
5. Kawhi Leonard
6. Lebron James
7. James Harden
8. Joel Embid
9.Paul George
10. Jokic

Including injuries:
1. Curry/Giannis
3. Anthony Davis
4. Kawhi Leonard
5. James Harden
6. Lebron James
7. Jokic
8. Embid
9. George
10. Damian Lillard

1. Curry
2. Leonard
3. KD
4. LeBron James
5. Giannis
6. AD
7. Harden
8. Jokic
9. George
10. Lillard

bigkingsfan
06-15-2019, 06:50 PM
Maybe he is factoring in the fact that Lebron is a perimeter player and Giannis starts in the paint so should have an easier time getting dunks? Because other than that. I cant see an argument for lebron being better ag attacking the rim than Giannis.
Here's Lebron last year.
Less than 5 Ft - 547/742 73.7
158/216 73.1 playoffs
https://stats.nba.com/player/2544/shooting/?Season=2017-18&SeasonType=Regular%20Season

Giannis this year
583/803 72.6
101/155 65.2 playoffs

Lebron does a better job at absorbing contact and his finesse/power combo is one of the best ever at the basket.

Bankaii
06-15-2019, 06:58 PM
Probably because you're an idiot.

We saw in the playoffs how easy it is to stop Giannis. Dude looked completely lost out there.
Post-2011, teams have tried that strategy against LeBron and it not worked.
Giannis might be better at getting to the rim due to length. But in terms of half court, attacking and making a play or scoring, it's easily lebron, especially in the playoffs.

Manny98
06-15-2019, 07:24 PM

Yeah the list is garbage. AD is AT BEST borderline top 10. Top 15-20 more realistically.
Bookmarked, i don't want to hear you propping up AD now he's on the Lakers

Mr Feeny
06-15-2019, 08:07 PM
Here's Lebron last year.
Less than 5 Ft - 547/742 73.7
158/216 73.1 playoffs
https://stats.nba.com/player/2544/shooting/?Season=2017-18&SeasonType=Regular%20Season

Giannis this year
583/803 72.6
101/155 65.2 playoffs

Lebron does a better job at absorbing contact and his finesse/power combo is one of the best ever at the basket.

Why are we using Lebron's 2018 stats and comparing them to Giannis's this year, if that's what you're doing?
Incidentally, you might want to take it up with 3ball if you disagree. I couldn't care less and dont feel strongly about this either way.

Mr Feeny
06-15-2019, 08:08 PM
Probably because you're an idiot.

We saw in the playoffs how easy it is to stop Giannis. Dude looked completely lost out there.
Post-2011, teams have tried that strategy against LeBron and it not worked.
Giannis might be better at getting to the rim due to length. But in terms of half court, attacking and making a play or scoring, it's easily lebron, especially in the playoffs.

In other words, he is better at getting to the rim. Are you this big of an idiot or do you make an effort to be one?

bigkingsfan
06-15-2019, 08:13 PM
Why are we using Lebron's 2018 stats and comparing them to Giannis's this year, if that's what you're doing?
Incidentally, you might want to take it up with 3ball if you disagree. I couldn't care less and dont feel strongly about this either way.
We're discussing everything, including the postseason. Why exactly are we comparing a 34 yr old injured Lebron vs Giannis.

Mr Feeny
06-15-2019, 08:16 PM
We're discussing everything, including the postseason. Why exactly are we comparing a 34 yr old injured Lebron vs Giannis.

Because that's the discussion. Prime lebron is much better at driving to the rim than Giannis but that isnt what 3ball was discussing. Hes discussing the current situation. Lebron didnt reach the playoffs this year. We dont need to go a year back when he was a year younger to include those stats.

This isnt a comparison between peak Lebron and Giannis.

Bankaii
06-15-2019, 08:19 PM
In other words, he is better at getting to the rim. Are you this big of an idiot or do you make an effort to be one?
Jesus have you ever played basketball? You don

bigkingsfan
06-15-2019, 08:20 PM
Because that's the discussion. Prime lebron is much better at driving to the rim than Giannis but that isnt what 3ball was discussing. Hes discussing the current situation. Lebron didnt reach the playoffs this year. We dont need to go a year back when he was a year younger to include those stats.

This isnt a comparison between peak Lebron and Giannis.
Nah you're misreading

"Giannis attacked the rim WAY better than lebron and broke the dunk record - 279 dunks for Giannis compared to lebron's 85 (career high of 145 in 2017)

Like, lebron can't do that.. and never could..."
He's equating dunk as the better finisher.

Mr Feeny
06-15-2019, 08:27 PM
Nah you're misreading

He's equating dunk as the better finisher.

Ah. My bad. I don't agree with that. I thought the comparison was between them at the moment. Lebron (especially in his prime) was on the shortlist of best finishers ever and some stats had him at the very top.

Mr Feeny
06-15-2019, 08:28 PM
[QUOTE=Bankaii]Jesus have you ever played basketball? You don