PDA

View Full Version : Why is Kobe a better volume shooter than LeBron?

Vino24
06-16-2019, 06:30 PM
But averaged and scored much less than LeBron?

3ball
06-16-2019, 07:33 PM
But averaged and scored much less than LeBron?
Kobe didn't score at the expense of teammates, while lebron does... No one got "Bosh'd" on Kobe's teams, so he won with less help - he won with a bosh-level player at 2nd option, while lebron needed Bosh as 3rd option, and a kobe-like perimeter stud at 2nd option.. :cheers:

Hope that helps - now here's some minutia that you can feel free to skip:

High shooting volume, even with marginal efficiency, gives a team a form of rebate

Teammates begin to anticipate the shots and get offensive rebounds, while the volume takes pressure and defensive attention away from teammates and they get open looks..

But perhaps most important - a high volume scorer puts pressure on the other team defensively, wears them down and often has them scrambling to defend them, which blunts their offensive attack - a team can't get comfortable and hot offensively if they're always on their heels and discombobulated defensively..

each game is a war of attrition to see who can put better pressure on the other team/make their defense work to blunt their offensive attack and gain control of the game - great volume shooters keep their team on the attack and keeps a team from falling behind in the attrition battle

That's how AI made the Finals in 01' with no cast - his team won the oreb battle and Mckie was getting tons of looks, while AI would not let his team get worn down or unable to mount a dangerous offensive attack

And of course Kobe won 5 rings with volume shooting... Lebron took the Warriors 6 games in 15' with volume shooting.. and MJ averaged 25 shots a game for his playoff career, at a remarkable 49% - the goat volume shooter and attrition winner

FireDavidKahn
06-16-2019, 07:38 PM
How come GodBe says that everything LeDaddy just did was 100% the right thing to do?

stalkerforlife
06-16-2019, 11:19 PM
Kobe didn't score at the expense of teammates, while lebron does... No one got "Bosh'd" on Kobe's teams, so he won with less help - he won with a bosh-level player at 2nd option, while lebron needed Bosh as 3rd option, and a kobe-like perimeter stud at 2nd option.. :cheers:

Hope that helps - now here's some minutia that you can feel free to skip:

High shooting volume, even with marginal efficiency, gives a team a form of rebate

Teammates begin to anticipate the shots and get offensive rebounds, while the volume takes pressure and defensive attention away from teammates and they get open looks..

But perhaps most important - a high volume scorer puts pressure on the other team defensively, wears them down and often has them scrambling to defend them, which blunts their offensive attack - a team can't get comfortable and hot offensively if they're always on their heels and discombobulated defensively..

each game is a war of attrition to see who can put better pressure on the other team/make their defense work to blunt their offensive attack and gain control of the game - great volume shooters keep their team on the attack and keeps a team from falling behind in the attrition battle

That's how AI made the Finals in 01' with no cast - his team won the oreb battle and Mckie was getting tons of looks, while AI would not let his team get worn down or unable to mount a dangerous offensive attack

And of course Kobe won 5 rings with volume shooting... Lebron took the Warriors 6 games in 15' with volume shooting.. and MJ averaged 25 shots a game for his playoff career, at a remarkable 49% - the goat volume shooter and attrition winner

Damn.

Squashed with one post.

egokiller
06-16-2019, 11:36 PM
Airbonner doesn't even try anymore. His posts all result in Kobe shitting on Lebron.

j3lademaster
06-16-2019, 11:50 PM
But averaged and scored much less than LeBron?You need to understand the value of the mid ranged shot. If I get a step on my man off the dribble and force the big to some out and try to collapse on me, it's still a good shot if my man is at my hip and the big hasn't completely gotten there yet. However, it draws the big away from my big- who now has either no one boxing him out or someone significantly smaller trying to do a 'patchwork' type job trying to box out my center. So let's say I have a 45% chance of making my shot, and in the 55% event I miss then my center IN THAT SPECIFIC SITUATION has a very high chance of getting the board and already be in position for either an easy put-back or gets fouled- sometimes both. If a big misses then the other team just gets the rebound, which is the tradeoff of having a higher percentage shot.

And in all this on the statsheet it looks bad for me even though I had a bigger hand in the play. Pau and Odom both had career highs in offensive boards playing alongside Kobe because of this (I'd mention Bynum but he has no healthy seasons without Kobe to compare it to).

Also a miss on a 15 footer from a shooter with touch like Kobe's will bounce nicely off the rim, making it more predictable as opposed to bricked 3's that bounce over the bigs and get rebounded by perimeter guys (which is leading to the much higher rebounding totals for perimeter players in the current league).

Mid range is also the best shot for clutch situations. Example would be the missed Curry 3 end of g6. in the reg season you look at it as: 33% from 3 = 50% from 2... math! But in clutch situations in the playoffs where I just need that bucket I will take that 50% contested 2 from Durant or prime Dirk over a 40% 3 from the goat shooter.

Also having a great slasher a la Dwyane Wade forces you to keep an elite rim protector in play. I know they had Boogie in there who is hardly a perimeter defensive juggernaut, but just saying: imagine if you can keep a lineup of klay, iggy, draymond, kd in there, but if I go small with my elite slasher surrounded by 4 shooters smallball lineup you're forced to make a decision on whether u need bogut in there for rim protection- and then bogut's small matchup can exploit him.