DMAVS41
06-19-2019, 11:52 AM
LINK: http://www.insidehoops.com/mike-conley-trade-061919.shtml

Adrian Wojnarowski

Verified account

@wojespn
4s5 seconds ago
More
Memphis has traded guard Mike Conley to the Utah Jazz for Grayson Allen, Kyle Korver and Jae Crowder, the 23rd pick in Thursday's Draft and a future first-round pick, league sources tell ESPN.

Adrian Wojnarowski

Verified account

@wojespn
now5 seconds ago
More Adrian Wojnarowski Retweeted Adrian Wojnarowski
The Jazz will send a protected 2020 first-round pick to the Grizzlies, league sources tell ESPN. That pick will convey as a late-lottery pick in 2020 or 2021, or become a lightly-protected pick from 2022-'24. Deal complete on July 6.

Chris Herrington

@HerringtonNBA
1m1 minute ago
More
Per league source, the 2020 pick the Grizzlies are getting in Conley trade has the following protections:

2020 1-7, 15-30 (conveys 8-14)
2021 - same as above
2022 - 1-6
2023 1-3
2024 - 1
2025 - converts to two seconds

:rockon:

jayfan
06-19-2019, 11:54 AM
Wow. Quite a haul for Conley.

sdot_thadon
06-19-2019, 11:54 AM
Thats a nice pickup for Utah. Might actually take the next step finally.

dunksby
06-19-2019, 11:55 AM
Good for both teams, Utah might actually deal some dmg next year.

brooks_thompson
06-19-2019, 12:00 PM
Farewell, friend. Morant's got some big shoes to fill

LAVAR BALL
06-19-2019, 12:01 PM
Wow, finally a backcourt partner for Donovan Mitchell !!!

Waiting for their bench to unveil, but if Joe Ingles could be a little more ocnsistent than last year, no one will want to play the Jazz

stalkerforlife
06-19-2019, 12:03 PM
Jazz can contend now that GS went down.

Xiao Yao You
06-19-2019, 12:06 PM
Would have been better a few months ago. They might be champs and still have Crowder. Going to have 9 million exception still. Need a modern starting 4 and they could be the favorite. Sounds like they are set on bringing back Favors though. Be great if they could get rid of Exum too. I wonder if Korver has told them if he is retiring or not?

Hard to believe this is the best offer for Conley though.

Xiao Yao You
06-19-2019, 12:07 PM
Wow, finally a backcourt partner for Donovan Mitchell !!!

Waiting for their bench to unveil, but if Joe Ingles could be a little more ocnsistent than last year, no one will want to play the Jazz

Ingles will be fine. Everyone will get better because Rubio's guy will have to stick to Conley now not be free to harass others. Now if they'd get rid of Favors and Exum and Snyder they'd be on to something

Xiao Yao You
06-19-2019, 12:08 PM
Goodbye Ricky! Can't say I will miss your sorry ass! :cheers:

lilteapot
06-19-2019, 12:13 PM
Goodbye Ricky! Can't say I will miss your sorry ass! :cheers:
Rubio is still on the team bro.

raprap
06-19-2019, 12:13 PM
Nice. He deserves to contend. Jazz looking good now with the West wide open.

Kyle Korver a buyout candidate? Don

Xiao Yao You
06-19-2019, 12:15 PM
Rubio is still on the team bro.

free agent that's been talking smack. They'd probably welcome him back as the backup but he thinks he's a major piece on a championship team. :roll:

qrich
06-19-2019, 12:15 PM
The protections on the future pick are nice for Utah, gives them added protection.

Memphis probably buys out Kyle, and flips Jae for anything, if not, buys him out eventually too.

If NAW drops to 23, he'd be a great selection. Ja-NAW-Brooks-JJJ is a decent foundation

Xiao Yao You
06-19-2019, 12:16 PM
Nice. He deserves to contend. Jazz looking good now with the West wide open.

Kyle Korver a buyout candidate? Don’t think he fits with what Memphis is trying to do.

Korver might be retiring. Both parties might already know this. His contract is only partially guaranteed so he won't be in Memphis either way. Could join Lebron I imagine?

Xiao Yao You
06-19-2019, 12:18 PM
The protections on the future pick are nice for Utah, gives them added protection.

Memphis probably buys out Kyle, and flips Jae for anything, if not, buys him out eventually too.

If NAW drops to 23, he'd be a great selection. Ja-NAW-Brooks-JJJ is a decent foundation

Jae's got a great contract They won't have any problem trading him. You forgot Grayson! He showed some scoring ability late in the year. Too bad he looked more like another Jazz Duke product Hood and never passed the ball. Maybe a 6th man?

Xiao Yao You
06-19-2019, 12:31 PM
http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=y28lwa9n

Memphis will get a big trade exception too. The salaries will look a bit different on July 6

Proctor
06-19-2019, 12:32 PM
Incredible pickup for the Jazz. I love this. :bowdown: :bowdown:

Sucks to cough up Crowder though. Hope Korver lands on a contender.

Xiao Yao You
06-19-2019, 12:34 PM
Incredible pickup for the Jazz. I love this. :bowdown: :bowdown:

Sucks to cough up Crowder though. Hope Korver lands on a contender.

Niang replaces Crowder. Better offensive player. Snyder overused Jae

Wally450
06-19-2019, 12:41 PM
That seems like quite a lot no? For Mike Conley?

Xiao Yao You
06-19-2019, 12:43 PM
That seems like quite a lot no? For Mike Conley?

Really? A guy that might retire. A backup and a 23 year old rookie who was disappointing plus two late 1st rounders and a trade exception. I'm amazed no one else is offering more. I would have preferred the Rubio, Exum,Favors and picks deal in Feb. though

LostCause
06-19-2019, 12:43 PM
Great pickup for Utah

Xiao Yao You
06-19-2019, 12:45 PM
[QUOTE]Ricky Rubio:

Xiao Yao You
06-19-2019, 12:45 PM
Jon Hamm: Kyle Korver can be waived before 7/7/19 and owed only $3.4M rather than his full $7.5M

Xiao Yao You
06-19-2019, 12:46 PM
David Aldridge: Memphis, per sources, will listen to offers on the first-rounder (23rd) acquired in the Conley deal. And, protections on the future first from Utah: -Pick will convey to Memphis is 2020 or 2021 if it falls between 8-14 -if it doesn

Xiao Yao You
06-19-2019, 12:48 PM
Could be a great pick for Memphis. Conley and Gobert will unrestricted after two more years and Mitchell will get his 2nd contract. Gobert will be eligible for the super max. They have sucked without Gobert

Xiao Yao You
06-19-2019, 12:51 PM
Marc Stein: Kyle Korver said after the season that he would mull retirement but one source with knowledge of his thinking said today that Korver, 38, is likely to play another season and maybe even two

Patrick Chewing
06-19-2019, 12:54 PM
Yes!!! RJ to the Knicks now for sure.

pegasus
06-19-2019, 12:55 PM
[QUOTE=Xiao Yao You]Marc Stein: Kyle Korver said after the season that he would mull retirement but one source with knowledge of his thinking said today that Korver, 38, is likely to play another season and maybe even two

Xiao Yao You
06-19-2019, 12:56 PM
He should join the Warriors.

He wants to win I imagine though :confusedshrug:

Proctor
06-19-2019, 12:58 PM
Niang replaces Crowder. Better offensive player. Snyder overused Jae
I'm not high on Niang at all, and think he looked better than he is offensively because Utah as a team struggled on that end. They need to shore up the forward position badly.

pegasus
06-19-2019, 12:59 PM
He wants to win I imagine though :confusedshrug:
You think you've seen the last of them? They will be reborn from their ashes.

Callystarr
06-19-2019, 01:01 PM
I am pleased.

I want Rubio gone!

Favors, I hope he stays. Snyder dunno why he doesn

Callystarr
06-19-2019, 01:02 PM
I'm not high on Niang at all, and think he looked better than he is offensively because Utah as a team struggled on that end. They need to shore up the forward position badly.

Agree

Xiao Yao You
06-19-2019, 01:05 PM

Niang is skilled. Arguably the best shooter on the team. Needs to be more aggressive and not pass it off when he's open. Probably their best post player not that they post up much. Can handle the ball. Can run their sets with anyone 1 through 4 with him on the floor.

They need a modern starting 4 more than even Conley. Supposedly they like Portis but it sounds like they will stick with Favors unfortunately. Have Ingles/O'Neale/Exum at the 3.

The reason Utah struggled offensively was because of spacing which was because of Rubio/Favors/Exum especially

Xiao Yao You
06-19-2019, 01:08 PM
You think you've seen the last of them? They will be reborn from their ashes.

Durant will never be the same. Klay will be eventually. Signing Durant and/or Cousins would be stupid. They will be good again. Not championship good

Xiao Yao You
06-19-2019, 01:09 PM
[QUOTE=Callystarr]I am pleased.

I want Rubio gone!

Favors, I hope he stays. Snyder dunno why he doesn

Proctor
06-19-2019, 01:11 PM
Niang is skilled. Arguably the best shooter on the team. Needs to be more aggressive and not pass it off when he's open. Probably their best post player not that they post up much. Can handle the ball. Can run their sets with anyone 1 through 4 with him on the floor.

They need a modern starting 4 more than even Conley. Supposedly they like Portis but it sounds like they will stick with Favors unfortunately. Have Ingles/O'Neale/Exum at the 3.

The reason Utah struggled offensively was because of spacing which was because of Rubio/Favors/Exum especially
Portis would be a heist. Only 24, getting rapidly better and can score in bunches.

Their spacing issues run deeper than Favors. I don't think he should be starting but he could still have a role on this team. When Gobert is injured, in foul trouble, or whatever, he's nice to have.

dbugz
06-19-2019, 01:12 PM
Crowder wtf? why include him?

That's too much for an aging PG like conley :facepalm

Xiao Yao You
06-19-2019, 01:13 PM
Portis would be a heist. Only 24, getting rapidly better and can score in bunches.

Their spacing issues run deeper than Favors. I don't think he should be starting but he could still have a role on his team. When Gobert is injured, in foul trouble, or whatever, he's nice to have.

16 million for a backup center when you need a starting 4? Yeah he's nice to have but a luxury they can't afford with their other needs. He's too good to be playing 20 minutes a night and getting paid too much for that much time. He has to go! Has needed to for years

Dr. Cheesesteak
06-19-2019, 01:14 PM
Too many ppl to quote, but I agree and disagree w/ a lot of yous!

I'm w/ those who think Jazz paid too much. I like Conley and I get last season was probably his best season. But dude is 31 and Jazz gave up depth (regardless of how good or useful it was) and youth for him. I don't think this puts Jazz over the top to title contenders. Even w/ a weakened GSW, Jazz still probably winning 52 games at most, I'm still thinking 48-50 and landing in that #4-6 range.

I do like this for Memphis tho. Long term obv w/ Morant and JJJ, especially if Morant turns into a smarter Westbrook w/ a 3 shot. But even immediate future, if Morant and JJJ blow up quick, w/ Val, Bradley, Oregon Bros, maybe a steal at #23, maybe Grayson becomes relevant...Mem can legit push for the playoffs in the more balanced (I won't say "weakened") West this season.

Xiao Yao You
06-19-2019, 01:14 PM
Crowder wtf? why include him?

That's too much for an aging PG like conley :facepalm

An aging pg coming off one of his best years. Niang can replace Jae. Looks like a heist to me. Hard to believe no one offered more

Callystarr
06-19-2019, 01:15 PM
Snyder doesn't like Favors? Why would he start a guy that shouldn't be on the floor with Gobert if he didn't like him?

Why you don

Callystarr
06-19-2019, 01:16 PM

Their spacing issues run deeper than Favors. I don't think he should be starting but he could still have a role on this team. When Gobert is injured, in foul trouble, or whatever, he's nice to have.

Favors should back up Gobert.
Start on rest days etc.

Utah needs a good 3-4 with range

Xiao Yao You
06-19-2019, 01:17 PM

I'm w/ those who think Jazz paid too much. I like Conley and I get last season was probably his best season. But dude is 31 and Jazz gave up depth (regardless of how good or useful it was) and youth for him. I don't think this puts Jazz over the top to title contenders. Even w/ a weakened GSW, Jazz still probably winning 52 games at most, I'm still thinking 48-50.

I do like this for Memphis tho. Long term obv w/ Morant and JJJ, especially if Morant turns into a smarter Westbrook w/ a 3 shot. But even immediate future, if Morant and JJJ blow up quick, w/ Val, Bradley, Oregon Bros, maybe a steal at #23, maybe Grayson becomes relevant...Mem can legit push for the playoffs in the more balanced (I won't say "weak") West this season.

What depth did they give up? Niang replaces Jae. Korver is ancient. More minutes for O'Neale. Allen is another Duke gunner. Two late firsts. The Jazz got much better with this trade. If they replace Favors they could be the favorite in the west. Only bad thing I see are the protections on the pick. If Rudy leaves it could be as high as 2!

Callystarr
06-19-2019, 01:18 PM
16 million for a backup center when you need a starting 4? Yeah he's nice to have but a luxury they can't afford with their other needs. He's too good to be playing 20 minutes a night and getting paid too much for that much time. He has to go! Has needed to for years

I think he is saying what needs to happen if Favors stays in Utah.

Xiao Yao You
06-19-2019, 01:18 PM
[QUOTE=Callystarr]Why you don

Xiao Yao You
06-19-2019, 01:19 PM
Favors should back up Gobert.
Start on rest days etc.

Utah needs a good 3-4 with range

Favors makes too much to be a backup on a team that needs a starting 4. He's too good to be a backup. Supposedly the Lakers like him. Hopefully he goes east

Callystarr
06-19-2019, 01:21 PM

I'm w/ those who think Jazz paid too much. I like Conley and I get last season was probably his best season. But dude is 31 and Jazz gave up depth (regardless of how good or useful it was) and youth for him. I don't think this puts Jazz over the top to title contenders. Even w/ a weakened GSW, Jazz still probably winning 52 games at most, I'm still thinking 48-50 and landing in that #4-6 range.

I do like this for Memphis tho. Long term obv w/ Morant and JJJ, especially if Morant turns into a smarter Westbrook w/ a 3 shot. But even immediate future, if Morant and JJJ blow up quick, w/ Val, Bradley, Oregon Bros, maybe a steal at #23, maybe Grayson becomes relevant...Mem can legit push for the playoffs in the more balanced (I won't say "weakened") West this season.

Too much, how?

2 late first rounders who we can easily replace with solid coaching and bench players.

Jae is a role player and Korver is always in foul trouble and can

Callystarr
06-19-2019, 01:22 PM
Favors makes too much to be a backup on a team that needs a starting 4. He's too good to be a backup. Supposedly the Lakers like him. Hopefully he goes east

Ur so redundant sometimes

We know he makes too much to be a backup but if he is still in Utah that

Xiao Yao You
06-19-2019, 01:22 PM
[QUOTE=Callystarr]Too much, how?

2 late first rounders who we can easily replace with solid coaching and bench players.

Jae is a role player and Korver is always in foul trouble and can

Xiao Yao You
06-19-2019, 01:23 PM
[QUOTE=Callystarr]Ur so redundant sometimes

We know he makes too much to be a backup but if he is still in Utah that

Xiao Yao You
06-19-2019, 01:24 PM
Mike Conley: Meant to say city of Salt Lake! Lol 😂 🤦🏾*♂️

Xiao Yao You
06-19-2019, 01:25 PM
[QUOTE]Yossi Gozlan: Grizzlies can fit Crowder and Grayson into TPEs, essentially allowing them to trade Conley just for Korver. This lets them create an NBA record $25M trade exception. They could also generate up to $22.2M in cap space, but they

ArbitraryWater
06-19-2019, 01:48 PM
damn, Utah ripped em off.

Xiao Yao You
06-19-2019, 01:49 PM
damn, Utah ripped em off.

as long as they don't suck when Memphis gets that 2nd pick or Allen becomes much better than I expect

I'm amazed no one offered more! :wtf:

Xiao Yao You
06-19-2019, 02:15 PM
Donovan Mitchell: Welcome to the squad brotha lets get it!! Also side note

NBAGOAT
06-19-2019, 03:01 PM
Wonder who Utah gets at the 4. You can’t play gobert and favors many minutes together. Don’t have a lot of money left so might have to settle for someone like jamychal green. Mirotic will cost too much.

I think Detroit’s package was just not very attractive and they didn’t want to include a young guy. Why would they take back reggie

Edit: with 20 mil in cap space, mirotic is an obvious target. Utah shouldn’t be 2nd fodder next yr, a 55 win type team

Xiao Yao You
06-19-2019, 03:47 PM
[QUOTE=NBAGOAT]Wonder who Utah gets at the 4. You can

Xiao Yao You
06-19-2019, 03:51 PM
[QUOTE]Tony Jones: The Utah Jazz offered two first round picks for Mike Conley at the trade deadline, league sources tell The Athletic

NBAGOAT
06-19-2019, 03:53 PM
They are probably keeping Favors. I hope not. They will have the 9 million exception. Could possibly trade Favors to someone too? I don't think they have 20 million in cap space. They will give up most of it to get Conley I believe. They singled out Mirotic when they played against him so I'm not so sure they want him that badly anymore. Portis would be nice but he is restricted. Green would be fine. Someone that can defend and space the floor and they could be the favorites. Replacing Exum would be nice too though

Portis is a good one. Wizards don

Xiao Yao You
06-19-2019, 03:53 PM
[QUOTE]Tony Jones: Donovan Mitchell

Xiao Yao You
06-19-2019, 03:55 PM
[QUOTE=NBAGOAT]Portis is a good one. Wizards don

brooks_thompson
06-19-2019, 05:15 PM
Seriously, unless he falls off a cliff between now and the start of the season, the Utah Jazz are going to absolutely love Mike Conley. Yes, I'm a Grizz fan, but I wouldn't have said the same about Gasol or any other of the very few Grizz standouts. You just can't say enough good things about him, and he's right up the Jazz's alley.

I'm used to a pushover front office so I'm not too mad about the trade. I just wish Memphis would've gotten one tangible, surefire good thing (aka player) out of it. They didn't get fleeced, but they definitely 'lost' the trade. I'm just happy they didn't banish Mike to Phoenix.

iamgine
06-19-2019, 06:59 PM
This is a great trade for Utah. Conley is exactly who they needed. Now they just need to add a bit of quality depth.

Conley
Mitchell
O'Neale
Ingles
Gobert

Vino24
06-19-2019, 07:06 PM
This is a great trade for Utah. Conley is exactly who they needed. Now they just need to add a bit of quality depth.

Conley
Mitchell
O'Neale
Ingles
Gobert
Good team but how are they going to be any better than that peak Memphis team with ConleyGasol and Randolph?

Dr. Cheesesteak
06-19-2019, 07:14 PM
Improved defense and offense that easily and you say 48-52 games 🤷🏽*♂️

lol
You ppl, and Zach Lowe, thinking Jazz are Finals contenders is a joke.

West is more balanced, sure, but how's Gobert gonna defend the P&R? They need more shooters like you said. You still underrate Rubio's D, one of the best in the league, and his ability to facilitate, especially in Snyder's O. God, Jazz fans disrespect of Rubio is idiotic. Well, just the one (or I guess two now) Jazz fans here.

Ppl need to stop acting like swapping Conley over Rubio suddenly is like upgrading to LeBron over Solomon Hill and Jazz got an absolute steal. They still mortgaged a lot of their future for a couple years of, what, a PG in the 8th-15th range of best PGs in the NBA?

Jazz get older, less deep, will play a slower O (not conducive to today's game), and now they need more perimeter defenders who can switch. How the F is this suddenly a Finals contender?

Don't get me wrong, I still think they'll be good. Don't act like hovering around 50 W's is a scrub team. It's just...pretty much every team in the West is gonna be better, except GSW and possibly Houston. W's still won't be easy to come by. Jazz likely aren't winning 60 games. And #3 seed is still a stretch w/ Den, Hou, a Kawhi'd LAC, maybe LAL if they're smart, Portland, etc. And to get to the Finals as a sub-#3 seed is unheard of in the West (hasn't happened since 1995).

But, I'll await and see how they fill out the roster, and how LAL, Houston, etc changes, before really declaring how good they can be.

Xiao Yao You
06-19-2019, 07:41 PM

Conley
Mitchell
O'Neale
Ingles
Gobert

That won't be the starting lineup but I'd certainly prefer it to one with Favors in it

Xiao Yao You
06-19-2019, 07:50 PM
You ppl, and Zach Lowe, thinking Jazz are Finals contenders is a joke.

West is more balanced, sure, but how's Gobert gonna defend the P&R? They need more shooters like you said. You still underrate Rubio's D, one of the best in the league, and his ability to facilitate, especially in Snyder's O. God, Jazz fans disrespect of Rubio is idiotic. Well, just the one (or I guess two now) Jazz fans here.

Ppl need to stop acting like swapping Conley over Rubio suddenly is like upgrading to LeBron over Solomon Hill and Jazz got an absolute steal. They still mortgaged a lot of their future for a couple years of, what, a PG in the 8th-15th range of best PGs in the NBA?

Jazz get older, less deep, will play a slower O (not conducive to today's game), and now they need more perimeter defenders who can switch. How the F is this suddenly a Finals contender?

Don't get me wrong, I still think they'll be good. Don't act like hovering around 50 W's is a scrub team. It's just...pretty much every team in the West is gonna be better, except GSW and possibly Houston. W's still won't be easy to come by. Jazz likely aren't winning 60 games. And #3 seed is still a stretch w/ Den, Hou, a Kawhi'd LAC, maybe LAL if they're smart, Portland, etc. And to get to the Finals as a sub-#3 seed is unheard of in the West (hasn't happened since 1995).

But, I'll await and see how they fill out the roster, and how LAL, Houston, etc changes, before really declaring how good they can be.

The Jazz D was fine despite the matador Rubio. They lost to Houston the past two years because of crappy offense. What future did the mortgage? Allen? Possibly a 6th man if Memphis is lucky. A couple late 1st rounders that would also likely be role players being drafted there. Conley fits the Jazz more than anyone in the league probably. Rubio never fit. Favors doesn't fit. Exum doesn't fit. Need guys that fit around Gobert period!

Let's wait until the off-season is over before we say they are less deep. They still have exceptions. They might get some good vets to play for them at a discount because they are one of the best teams now. Their depth made them good not great. They needed better players and they got one. Niang is a better offensive player than Crowder. Korver was old and more O'Neale is a great thing. Allen still had to prove he could play with teammates and after watching fellow Dukey Hood for years I'm not sure he ever will

Xiao Yao You
06-19-2019, 08:22 PM
http://saltcityhoops.com/jazz-take-aim-at-contention-by-acquiring-mike-conley/

This article breaks it down pretty good. The Jazz won't have the full MLE because they are giving that up in the trade. Only have the room MLE. But they could open up 26 million by waiving Neto and Favors and trading Exum into cap room. This should be what they are looking at. Or just trade Favors and Exum. They need a modern starting 4!

jbryan1984
06-19-2019, 08:27 PM
Don't really see the point in keeping Rubio. I would of kept Crowder over him in a trade like this.

Xiao Yao You
06-19-2019, 08:38 PM
Don't really see the point in keeping Rubio. I would of kept Crowder over him in a trade like this.

They didn't keep Rubio. He is a free agent. They will have to release his cap hold to make the trade! :cheers:

Xiao Yao You
06-19-2019, 08:39 PM
Eric Woodyard: Donovan Mitchell to @usatodaysports on Mike Conley trade:

Xiao Yao You
06-19-2019, 08:41 PM
[QUOTE]The Grizzlies took a slight risk in waiting until now to deal Conley instead of acting at the trade deadline, but it ended up costing them nothing beyond the chance to clear more 2019-20 salary. They might have come out better for it. They always wanted two first-round picks, and they got them. The Detroit Pistons opted against paying that price, sources say, and even had the Pistons agreed, Memphis might have been stuck with Reggie Jackson. The Pacers would not surrender two first-round picks and Aaron Holiday, sources say.

Callystarr
06-19-2019, 08:50 PM
Sure but why keep him when they need a starting 4 that teams don't lay off of?

Good god man, you just talk on here and don

Xiao Yao You
06-19-2019, 08:54 PM
[QUOTE=Callystarr]Good god man, you just talk on here and don

iamgine
06-20-2019, 12:15 AM
Good team but how are they going to be any better than that peak Memphis team with ConleyGasol and Randolph?
Are they playing peak Memphis in the playoff or something?

iamgine
06-20-2019, 12:16 AM
That won't be the starting lineup but I'd certainly prefer it to one with Favors in it
So you don't favor favors then :lol

Xiao Yao You
06-20-2019, 12:40 AM
So you don't favor favors then :lol

On another team yes