PDA

View Full Version : Suns had a horrible draft

Patrick Chewing
06-21-2019, 11:25 AM
The Suns began yesterday with the 6th overall pick, the No. 32 pick, the Bucks 2020 first-round pick & TJ Warren.

They ended up flipping all those assets for Cam Johnson, Ty Jerome, Dario Saric & Aron Baynes.

Jarrett Culver ended up being selected 6th and KZ Okpala at 32.

Cam Johnson was projected to go in the Second Round.

Rumors are that Josh Jackson is on the trade market.

FireDavidKahn
06-21-2019, 12:02 PM
Cam Johnson @ #11 is on the same tier as Bennett @ #1.

Obviously you have a lot less invested with the 11th pick vs. the #1 pick...but my god that was a GOAT level reach.:oldlol:

Patrick Chewing
06-21-2019, 12:10 PM
highwhey, get in here and defend these transactions!

Dr. Cheesesteak
06-21-2019, 12:32 PM

Early mocks maybe. Most/all recent mocks I checked had him mid-late 1st.

However, #11 is still a reach. But NBATV touched on it - these are safe picks w/ high floors instead of high ceilings. I don't like the picks b/c I feel they're reaches. But overall, if the Suns just want players they know will be decent rotation players at worst, then why not do it? Better to swing and miss on a bust who's out of the league in 2 years, I guess.

sammichoffate
06-21-2019, 12:47 PM
That TJ Warren deal was AIDS

FreezingTsmoove
06-21-2019, 12:47 PM
Cam Johnson @ #11 is on the same tier as Bennett @ #1.

Obviously you have a lot less invested with the 11th pick vs. the #1 pick...but my god that was a GOAT level reach.:oldlol:

Yes the horror! Getting one of the best shooters in the draft to pair with your superstar shooting guard! What a reach :eek:

Levity
06-21-2019, 12:52 PM
thoughts on Ty Jermone? Starter potential there?

Patrick Chewing
06-21-2019, 01:09 PM
thoughts on Ty Jermone? Starter potential there?

Ty Jerome is a floor general. That guy gave the ACC fits last year and I can see him running the point for that team. Think of a Greivis Vasquez, but way better.

christian1923
06-21-2019, 01:14 PM
Cam already the 3rd oldest player on their roster :roll:

All jokes aside, Suns had the worst draft day I

Charlie Sheen
06-21-2019, 02:23 PM
Mocks aren't gospel. Nassir, Bol and Porter Jr. all picked way later than they were mocked. Not to mention this was panned as a weak draft after the top 3 for months. Too many fans and reporters just assuming the Suns were the only team who liked Cam in a league that prioritizes shooting?

I'm in the minority, but I really liked what the Suns accomplished yesterday. Flipped Warren into cap room that they used a fraction of to add Saric. Drafted two players that should be able to slide into the rotation immediately. They gotta think about winning more than 25 games in Phoenix. Not championships. That organization has turned into a circus with the coaching turnstile and losses.

It's fair to question if Phoenix could've squeezed a little more value out of Warren than a salary dump. Far from a heist for the Pacers though.

FireDavidKahn
06-21-2019, 02:44 PM
Yes the horror! Getting one of the best shooters in the draft to pair with your superstar shooting guard! What a reach :eek:
Nevermind the fact they could have drafted him much lower in the draft and use their assets much more wisely.

brooks_thompson
06-21-2019, 11:00 PM
James Jones not looking good so far. Even worse than I expected. But hopefully for Phoenix's sake, his picks will prove me wrong. No reason to root for a team being bad; it's cringe-worthy to watch as the years pile up.

bobopenguin
06-22-2019, 02:30 AM
The Suns began yesterday with the 6th overall pick, the No. 32 pick, the Bucks 2020 first-round pick & TJ Warren.

They ended up flipping all those assets for Cam Johnson, Ty Jerome, Dario Saric & Aron Baynes.

Jarrett Culver ended up being selected 6th and KZ Okpala at 32.

Rumors are that Josh Jackson is on the trade market.

heard he is another drug addict like odom/beasy..

NBAGOAT
06-22-2019, 02:33 AM
Don

FreezingTsmoove
06-22-2019, 04:30 AM
Nevermind the fact they could have drafted him much lower in the draft and use their assets much more wisely.

Could have got the best shooter much lower in the draft? Not at all kid

You do realize that Miami, Boston, and New Orleans took shooting guards in the next picks after right.... There is no way he would have stayed on the board. This kid and the NBA knew he was going to be taken high thats why he was invited to the green room in the first place despite him being mocked as a second rounder by every draft site

wagexslave
06-22-2019, 05:44 AM
As a Suns fan I was confused at the Cam pick but honestly I didn't care that much. This was a weak af draft anyways and the lottery dropping us from #2 to #6 made me not give a **** about who we were going to draft. All I really only cared about was Zion or Ja. Almost everyone else had too many question marks to call them a much better pick than someone like Cam, who at the very least could be an amazingly efficient shooter if his game translates to the NBA.

As far as the other moves go, we went from not having a single PF on the roster to having a real PF with starter experience about to enter his prime. And we acquired a great backup C for Ayton, and a new young PG to groom since Melton and Okobo didn't show us that they're surefire NBA quality PGs last season. And we cleared up some space we need if we're to sign a real starting PG and re-sign Kelly Oubre.

So yeah, the moves were hella weird but at the end of the day I think the Suns are in a better position because of them. We 100% NEED to get a legit starting PG and keep Oubre for it to all be worth it though.

RoseCity07
06-22-2019, 06:25 AM
I heard Cam Johnson is the best shooter in the draft. They got their PG and Center. Now they're going for a wing or shooting guard that can make open shots.

I don't think it's a bad draft.

Marchesk
06-22-2019, 08:37 AM
I heard Cam Johnson is the best shooter in the draft. They got their PG and Center. Now they're going for a wing or shooting guard that can make open shots.

They have Devin Booker :confusedshrug:

wagexslave
06-22-2019, 09:54 AM
They have Devin Booker :confusedshrug:
Yeah but our bench lacks pure shooters. Now we traded for rookie backup PG that has NCAA championship experience and can shoot the ball and pass well, and we drafted the best shooter in the draft who's also quite tall at 6'9" for a SF. Hopefully both of these guys can come in off the bench and put up points like we didn't have the past few seasons.

Last season when our bench unit was on the floor we had guys like Deanthony Melton and Ellie Okobo at PG(shit, they even started most games for us until we got Tyler Johnson or unless Book was playing out of position at PG). Neither of those 2 could hit the broadside of the barn 90% of the time. It became increazsingly obvious that neither are likely to be in the NBA within a few years. We were so desperate for a shooter off the bench that we tried signing Jimmer towards the end of the season and he was god awful. Jamaal Crawford could light it up occasionally but most of the time he was brick city and played 0 defense(great player coach for the youngins though).

Josh Jackson is the most inconsistent player of all time. He was knocking down more 3s than last season, but he's so hit or miss and he chucks too much when he has the speed and athleticism to just drive to the basket. :confusedshrug:

So yeah, any amount of depth when it comes to shooting is welcome.