PDA

View Full Version : Anthony Davis trade could go down as one of the worst in NBA history

eliteballer
06-21-2019, 02:17 PM
Sources tells @TheAthletic that the Anthony Davis trade is expected to be completed on July 6 and that New Orleans holds control of the timing. As it stands, that would leave Lakers with $23.7 million in cap room - $27.7 mil if AD waives trade kicker.

https://twitter.com/sam_amick/status/1141841993024204801

[QUOTE]If Pelicans and Lakers waited until July 30 to complete trade, Lakers could

J Shuttlesworth
06-21-2019, 02:19 PM
https://www.reddit.com/r/nba/comments/c38tre/oc_explaining_the_laker_salary_cap_situation_and?s ort=confidence

SamuraiSWISH
06-21-2019, 02:23 PM
I don’t get why they need another max player?

Have teams and LeGM himself not learned from the Miami and Cleveland experiments?

A max level third option never works.

It works for GS with Klay and Draymond because they’re low maintenance high energy role player ish guys that explode at times like superstars and also don’t need the ball in their hand nor do they have massive egos.

Same goes for Ray Allen who was Klay without the same level of defense in the Celtics Big 3.

A max level third option is never going to produce up to their capabilities (especially in a LeBron James centric offense) and all it does is require somebody to need more touches.

If anything, they should use that money to fill out the roster top to bottom with complementary and good role players.

Is two of the top five players in the league not enough?

And in reality, if you go by something like player efficiency rating, the second and third best players of all time after Jordan?! LOL

I know that sounds absurd to say about Anthony Davis, because he has a beta type mind set, but when healthy his production on both sides of the ball, he was considered to be arguably the best player in the league. Even last year as a malcontent and on limited minutes he was absurd.

TheCorporation
06-21-2019, 02:24 PM
https://www.reddit.com/r/nba/comments/c38tre/oc_explaining_the_laker_salary_cap_situation_and?s ort=confidence

Boom

bison
06-21-2019, 02:26 PM
I don't get adding a third max player either. Even if we did have the cap space, I have always wanted them to spend it on depth and getting key rotation guys. Now it looks like it might be Bron, AD, Kuz and a bunch of G-league rookies and veteran cast offs.

RealSkipBayless
06-21-2019, 02:28 PM
Only good piece we gave up was Lonzo. :oldlol:

bison

Interesting. I still stand by my depth >>> third star opinion.

SamuraiSWISH
Only good piece we gave up was Lonzo. :oldlol:
And that is arguable as

Marchesk
06-21-2019, 02:34 PM

So they can get their third star with a max deal, but then what? The Lakers have like 6 players on the roster and would be adding one more, right? They still need six to eight more guys.

RealSkipBayless
06-21-2019, 02:34 PM
[QUOTE=SamuraiSWISH]And that is arguable as

Carbine
06-21-2019, 02:37 PM
[QUOTE=SamuraiSWISH]I don

Marchesk
06-21-2019, 02:41 PM
This seems like a dumb thing to say.

Both those teams made the finals every year, won multiple titles in Miami's case and Cleveland also won a title.

If anything those teams are a reason why it works :roll:

Yeah Bosh and Love played important roles on those two teams. And Bosh was a good defender. Even MJ and Pippen needed a Grant/Rodman player. Problem is there will be no room left to sign anyone else who isn't signing for league minimum.

Charlie Sheen
06-21-2019, 02:46 PM
[QUOTE=SamuraiSWISH]I don

SamuraiSWISH
06-21-2019, 02:57 PM
This seems like a dumb thing to say.

Both those teams made the finals every year, won multiple titles in Miami's case and Cleveland also won a title.

If anything those teams are a reason why it works :roll:
You don’t think those teams could’ve worked much better with different pieces instead of Kevin love and Chris bosh? I certainly do.

I actually think Wiggins would have been a better fit than Love, who Bron had traded before he even got there.

But championing Finals appearances? Really bro? In the East?

They got to the finals in a weak ass Eastern conference isn’t anything to glorify?

Especially in such a talent depleted conference, where his team simply had consolidated the conferences best player and out talented all other east coast teams.

As third options they weren’t great basketball fits. If it was LeBron and Bosh and other pieces? Would’ve been better. If it was LeBron and Wade and other pieces? Even better. Same goes for LeBron and Killer Kyrie. They could’ve rounded out the rosters better instead of needing to retool with old vets every year and balanced the roster out.

In LA even with twilight prime LeBron and Prime / Peak AD in a now talented depleted West.

Which has lost its best player in KD. And the best team lost it’s best and third best player rendering it totally different. The need for a third max guy is useless and redundant and can even kill team chemistry.

It’s overkill. Just like the original Heatles. Which led to this whole cowardly collusion super friend pro AAU era.

Yeah Bosh and Love played important roles on those two teams. And Bosh was a good defender. Even MJ and Pippen needed a Grant/Rodman player. Problem is there will be no room left to sign anyone else who isn't signing for league minimum.
Did you really compare Horace Grant and AWOL late 90s Rodman (who dipped off greatly after 96) to perennial all stars in Chris Bosh and Kevin Love?

Former franchise corner stone players before being reduced to third options?

So dumb.

eliteballer
06-21-2019, 03:07 PM
So they can get their third star with a max deal, but then what? The Lakers have like 6 players on the roster and would be adding one more, right? They still need six to eight more guys.

We'd have to sign a bunch of ISHers to fill out the roster.

oh the horror
06-21-2019, 03:21 PM
Really starting to question this trade.

With no depth, all it takes is one injury and the Lakers are screwed.

Carbine
06-21-2019, 03:28 PM
[QUOTE=SamuraiSWISH]You don

Marchesk
06-21-2019, 03:28 PM

It's the risk the Lakers have to take. When they signed Lebron, it was build a roster that could contend. And that means not waiting on the young talent to develop.

SouBeachTalents
06-21-2019, 03:37 PM
Did you really compare Horace Grant and AWOL late 90s Rodman (who dipped off greatly after 96) to perennial all stars in Chris Bosh and Kevin Love?

Former franchise corner stone players before being reduced to third options?

So dumb.
In 13 seasons combined before joining LeBron

3 playoff wins
2 playoff appearances
1 winning season

Franchise cornerstones :roll:

LAmbruh
06-21-2019, 03:43 PM

3 playoff wins
2 playoff appearances
1 winning season

:roll: :roll:

bladefd
06-21-2019, 03:46 PM

Also.. https://www.reddit.com/r/lakers/comments/c3aigp/nahmad_big_development_in_lakers_attempt_to_pair/

Phenith
06-21-2019, 03:57 PM
This is just the next mistake for the Lakers FO, they have been a disaster and it just keeps going...

Shogon
06-21-2019, 03:58 PM
Isn

egokiller
06-21-2019, 04:09 PM

3 playoff wins
2 playoff appearances
1 winning season

Irrelevant because teaming with guys like Kawhi or KD would result in just as much if not more than combining with lebron.

Haymaker
06-21-2019, 04:10 PM
It's a good trade despite giving away Josh Hart. Ingram has attitude problems and was a bad fit with Lebron, Lonzo seems to be injury prone and is nothing close to what he was expected to be impact-wise. What else the Lakers gave away? Picks? It's expected when trading for an A list star like AD.

SamuraiSWISH
06-21-2019, 04:41 PM

3 playoff wins
2 playoff appearances
1 winning season

Their success doesn

tpols
06-21-2019, 04:44 PM

3 playoff wins
2 playoff appearances
1 winning season

Who was Bosh and Loves help?

Mo pete?
Mike James?
Kevin Martin?
Ricky Rubio?

:roll:

They are, if not the best, one of the best players to have ever played for their original franchises.

SouBeachTalents
06-21-2019, 04:47 PM
Their success doesn’t relate to their franchise player status, now does it? Were they not their franchises best player for multiple seasons pre becoming third option statuses before playing with LeBron?

Pau Gasol was the same caliber before joining Kobe. Would you say the same about him?

Pre LeBron

Bosh 7 seasons: 20 ppg 9 rpg
Love 6 seasons: 19 ppg 12 rpg

That blows both Horace Grant, and Dennis Rodman ... role players ... out the water. Are you kidding me with your deliberate obtuse-ness.

:oldlol:
Depending on the makeup of my team, I’d easily take prime Rodman over Bosh or Love as my third best player, especially if I already have 2 elite scorers

Hey Yo
[QUOTE=SamuraiSWISH]You don

SamuraiSWISH

Mo pete?
Mike James?
Kevin Martin?
Ricky Rubio?

They are, if not the best, one of the best players to have ever played for their original franchises.
Got

SamuraiSWISH
06-21-2019, 04:50 PM
[QUOTE=SouBeachTalents]Depending on the makeup of my team, I

SouBeachTalents
06-21-2019, 04:52 PM

Mo pete?
Mike James?
Kevin Martin?
Ricky Rubio?

Regardless, we

NBAGOAT
06-21-2019, 04:54 PM

Mo pete?
Mike James?
Kevin Martin?
Ricky Rubio?

a better forward can take martin,pekovic, rubio to the playoffs. its not that bad of a lineup. bosh had a bunch of no name role players but not bad ones. good carry jobs but when gasol doesnt win a playoff game with james posey as his 2nd best player, suddenly he's not a franchise cornerstone either.

There's still a scoring bias from most fans. Like most people would take aldridge over draymond and that's not necessarily correct especially as a 3rd option

Hey Yo
06-21-2019, 04:54 PM
[QUOTE=SamuraiSWISH]Prime Rodman wasn

Kidbasketball20
06-21-2019, 05:54 PM

One LBJ groin injury, and AD is on a team worse than the Pelicans.

Meticode
06-21-2019, 06:13 PM

Depends on when the injury occurs. Sometimes you just need to stay afloat until the playoffs.

smoovegittar
06-21-2019, 07:20 PM
It would be quite fitting to see AD go down with an injury yet again, and LeBron can flounder with that sub-par roster until he's ready to retire. The Wild, Wild West :oldlol:

Uncle Drew
06-21-2019, 07:22 PM
It would be quite fitting to see AD go down with an injury yet again, and LeBron can flounder with that sub-par roster until he's ready to retire. The Wild, Wild West :oldlol:
Lonzo Bust and Clotgram were available for tops 40 games a season, so there'd be no change there.

red1
06-21-2019, 07:33 PM
lonzo is trash. when the lakers are in the finals again next year you'll forgot those scrubs even existed.

Bronbron23
06-21-2019, 09:00 PM
https://twitter.com/sam_amick/status/1141841993024204801

https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1140295966068813824

https://www.complex.com/sports/2019/06/los-angeles-lakers-anthony-davis-trade-salary-cap

Lakers gave up a kings ransom just to get AD a year early, but not having that extra cap space could well be the difference between actually winning or not winning titles.

The Lakers now have no depth and two stars who need load management.
Nah Lakers are winning the chip this year. The league is gonna be a joke next year. Lakers toughest competition in the west is gonna be Denver and in the finals vs the east it will probably be Philly(assuming kawhi leaves raps). Next year is gonna be one of the weakest years ever in the NBA as far as teams go.

egokiller
06-21-2019, 09:01 PM
Nah Lakers are winning the chip this year. The league is gonna be a joke next year. Lakers toughest competition in the west is gonna be Denver and in the finals vs the east it will probably be Philly(assuming kawhi leaves raps). Next year is gonna be one of the weakest years ever in the NBA as far as teams go.

A guy who only plays defense 1/4 qtrs and AD with no bench isn't winning shit. WTF you smoking? Care to pass that ish?

Bronbron23
06-21-2019, 09:25 PM
A guy who only plays defense 1/4 qtrs and AD with no bench isn't winning shit. WTF you smoking? Care to pass that ish?
I would agree if this was any other year but who is there competition exactly? Jokic? Harden? They have a clear path to the finals where they'll most likely play Philly. You really think a guy that can't shoot outside of 6 feet and a guy that can't stay healthy is gonna beat LeBron and ad?

Whatever I'm smoking clearly isn't half as good as whatever your smoking

OG LeeTSkeeT
06-22-2019, 03:34 PM
if kawhi goes to clippers with horford it doesn't matter what lakers do

Bronbron23
06-22-2019, 03:44 PM
if kawhi goes to clippers with horford it doesn't matter what lakers do
Not sure about that but they would definitely give Lakers a go and I'd be alot less confident about Lakers winning

PejaNowitzki
06-22-2019, 10:37 PM
I think the Lakers would get a lot more mileage out of signing a few guys like Beverley, Brook Lopez, JJ Reddick, Danny Green, Marcus Morris, Jeff Green, build an actual roster with depth, add a bunch of shooters to put around AD and LeBron.

Lebron23
08-03-2020, 11:56 PM
One of the best trades ever. Thank you New Orleans.

LAmbruh
08-03-2020, 11:58 PM
yikes :roll:

TheCorporation
08-03-2020, 11:58 PM
We'd have to sign a bunch of ISHers to fill out the roster.

Hopefully LeBron can do it again

Oh wait, he did :lebronamazed:

LAmbruh
08-03-2020, 11:59 PM
Hopefully LeBron can do it again

Oh wait, he did :lebronamazed:

Legoat ELEVATING ish to 1st seed!

Lebron23
08-04-2020, 12:00 AM

Best Team in the West

scuzzy
08-04-2020, 12:04 AM
:yaohappy::party:

Gray GOAT
08-04-2020, 02:13 AM
So LeBron clinched the 1 seed despite being part of a team that, according to a critic, completed the worst trade in NBA history the summer prior? I don't see how OP can possibly recover from this unless there's at least 832 images of LeBron in his next post.

TheCorporation
08-04-2020, 02:34 AM
So LeBron clinched the 1 seed despite being part of a team that, according to a critic, completed the worst trade in NBA history the summer prior? I don't see how OP can possibly recover from this unless there's at least 832 images of LeBron in his next post.

Bingo. And we even had to trade away our entire yung core instead of 1st round picks like the Clippers did

Axe
08-04-2020, 05:11 AM
X factor and catalyst

nayte
08-04-2020, 05:29 AM
I will be one who thought it was a bad trade. Glad to be proven wrong. Probs why I’m not a gm but can agree like others now when they say you make the trade for the best player

bobopenguin
08-04-2020, 06:07 AM
thank you pelicans!

Axe
08-04-2020, 06:51 AM
Lakers had to sacrifice several players and draft picks in one trade only just to acquire that lone star player

nayte
08-04-2020, 06:56 AM
Looks like it was worth it considering LeBrons age