PDA

View Full Version : Woj just reported that the Rockets hope to get Butler to force a sign and trade.

Kblaze8855
06-25-2019, 06:22 PM
Essentially...they wanna talk to butler knowing they have no cap space...get him to agree to tell Philly either they sign/trade him to the Rockets for a package likely based around Eric Gordon...or they lose him for nothing to say....the Lakers(who have nothing to sign/trade).

Im not gonna ask how you think Butler fits on the Rockets for now....what I wanna know....

How do you feel about one team trying to force another team to do a sign and trade with a threat of said player leaving to a third team?

Its smart....but kinda dirty. Hard to walk that back. Thats telling your team I have 2 options....neither is you...but my second choice will totally **** you.

At the behest of another team?

Id imagine the NBA wouldnt wanna go down that path. **** cap space. The Warriors could just sign Kemba to come off the bench by forcing the Hornets to take a sign/trade for Iggy/Livingston/Jones(combined 28 million) and 2 picks. Once you buyout iggy isnt your tank off to a good start when you know Livingston will probably just retire and you keep Jones and 2 picks?

If the other option is he walks for nothing...why not? The general principle?

Im not saying that exact situation would ever play out...im saying something like that would be a lot more feasible in a world after the Rockets pull this off.

Its just the logical next step from guys getting technically sign/traded for more money.....with the added benefit of being able to choose any team to go to even if they lack cap space.

This would make the superteams even easier wouldnt it?

Vino24
06-25-2019, 06:24 PM
I kind of want him to be traded to the Rockets that shit would be hilarious.

LAmbruh
06-25-2019, 06:26 PM
I kind of want him to be traded to the Rockets that shit would be hilarious.
This:lol

Perfect fit for HOU

NBAGOAT
06-25-2019, 06:27 PM
this is what was rumored for paul george and the warriors in 17. George could've joined the warriors through a s&t for like iggy, livingtson, young guy and pick and taken a pay cut to like 20-25mil for a year or two.

Pretty doubtfu for this situation imo, there havent been rumors of that much trouble with butler and philly. Philly seems like a more attractive destination than hou too. I think we'll see a player force their way eventually however.

Vino24
06-25-2019, 06:27 PM
This:lol

Perfect fit for HOU
It would be like trying to put out a fire with gasoline :lol :lol

Im so nba'd out
06-25-2019, 06:29 PM
I'll gladly take cp3 over nothing.He's use to playing with awful spacing.Maybe he can work with Jumbo Rondo cause he's worthless otherwise without the ball in his hands

God i hate ben simmons....SPACE THE FLOOR YOU STUPID BITCH!

LoneyROY7
06-25-2019, 06:32 PM
James and Jimmy is fantastic fit.

Make it happen, Daryl.

https://media2.giphy.com/media/3o7btP089a98Xr6AV2/giphy.gif

Real Men Wear Green
06-25-2019, 06:32 PM
With Paul wanting out and Philly needing a pg wouldn't Paul be a natural target? The deal they gave Paul would be crazy to hand to Butler to make the money match but it might also have been crazy to hand to Paul.

Im so nba'd out
06-25-2019, 06:33 PM
James and Jimmy is fantastic fit.

Make it happen, Daryl.

everyone walks away happy

LoneyROY7
06-25-2019, 06:34 PM
I'll gladly take cp3 over nothing.He's use to playing with awful spacing.Maybe he can work with Jumbo Rondo cause he's worthless otherwise without the ball in his hands

God i hate ben simmons....SPACE THE FLOOR YOU STUPID BITCH!

They wouldn't be trading CP for him, dawg. :oldlol: :oldlol:

Rockets are anchored with him and that lovely contract.

Im so nba'd out
06-25-2019, 06:36 PM
They wouldn't be trading CP for him, dawg. :oldlol: :oldlol:

Rockets are anchored with him and that lovely contract.

o... ill take gordon.Getting anything back for a player that's leaving anyway is a bonus.Hopefully this forces Redick out the door

LoneyROY7
06-25-2019, 06:39 PM
o... ill take gordon.Getting anything back for a player that's leaving anyway is a bonus.Hopefully this forces Redick out the door

EG would actually be a great fit in Philly. Not only can he shoot and drive it, but he can shoot it from deep deep, giving more needed space to 'ol Benjamin.

HoopologyPhD
06-25-2019, 06:52 PM
Good fit, Capela is a garbage man so Butler is not very compelled to steal his soul.

sdot_thadon
06-25-2019, 06:56 PM
I love anything that makes Houston better, but I'm concered after seeing the Melo treatment how will someone better be treated. Will they ask him to only shoot 3's and fall in line with Harden? Also Jimmy had to play nice last year because of his situation, nothing will be holding him back with a fresh contract......

NBAGOAT
06-25-2019, 07:05 PM
with gordon do the sixers let reddick go or do they just go with a embiid, simmons, gordon, reddick, harris lineup? That's actually a pretty good fit

sdot_thadon
06-25-2019, 07:06 PM
with gordon do the sixers let reddick go or do they just go with a embiid, simmons, gordon, reddick, harris lineup? That's actually a pretty good fit
That lineup would help simmons a ton.

fourkicks44
06-25-2019, 07:07 PM
Nothing indicates Jimmy is interested ( or not).

Houston has no leverage other that 'Forcing Jimmy to sign and trade'.

That being said I would not be against this on face Value.

Throw in a heap of first round picks like the Rockets offered Minnesota and then we are talking.

Gordon, Tucker, 5 future first and some 2nd rounders? Does that work?

I'm in.

Wally450
06-25-2019, 07:08 PM
Jimmy and Chris Paul fighting and arguing, meanwhile Harden will be putting up MVP numbers again. :banana: :banana:

NBAGOAT
06-25-2019, 07:11 PM
That lineup would help simmons a ton.

i like it too. simmons seems like he thrived more last yr when philly just surrounded embiid and him with shooters and gordon and harris are upgrades over their shooters in 18.

Back to thread topic, it be easier to facilitate a trade if butler picked up his po for less and gets paid later like cp3 did with the clippers trade. Woj and Lowe just said it's doubtful he does however. I just think it's far more common in the future someone asks for a trade a yr or two before their next contract. It's good for the player and the team.

Kblaze8855
06-25-2019, 07:15 PM
Nothing indicates Jimmy is interested ( or not).

Houston has no leverage other that 'Forcing Jimmy to sign and trade'.

That being said I would not be against this on face Value.

Throw in a heap of first round picks like the Rockets offered Minnesota and then we are talking.

Gordon, Tucker, 5 future first and some 2nd rounders? Does that work?

I'm in.

I can

fourkicks44
06-25-2019, 07:26 PM
[QUOTE=Kblaze8855]I can

RealSkipBayless
06-25-2019, 07:47 PM
:oldlol:

Sixers will just let him walk then. They got a top 5 player in Embiid locked up they can form a roster around. With the option to move Simmons for a better fitting piece at any time. There is nothing the Sixers would be interested in enough on the Rockets to even consider it.

Butler would really rather go spot up for the Rockets then be a key cog for the Sixers/Lakers/Nets? :lol

DMAVS41
06-25-2019, 08:16 PM
Essentially...they wanna talk to butler knowing they have no cap space...get him to agree to tell Philly either they sign/trade him to the Rockets for a package likely based around Eric Gordon...or they lose him for nothing to say....the Lakers(who have nothing to sign/trade).

Im not gonna ask how you think Butler fits on the Rockets for now....what I wanna know....

How do you feel about one team trying to force another team to do a sign and trade with a threat of said player leaving to a third team?

Its smart....but kinda dirty. Hard to walk that back. Thats telling your team I have 2 options....neither is you...but my second choice will totally **** you.

At the behest of another team?

Id imagine the NBA wouldnt wanna go down that path. **** cap space. The Warriors could just sign Kemba to come off the bench by forcing the Hornets to take a sign/trade for Iggy/Livingston/Jones(combined 28 million) and 2 picks. Once you buyout iggy isnt your tank off to a good start when you know Livingston will probably just retire and you keep Jones and 2 picks?

If the other option is he walks for nothing...why not? The general principle?

Im not saying that exact situation would ever play out...im saying something like that would be a lot more feasible in a world after the Rockets pull this off.

Its just the logical next step from guys getting technically sign/traded for more money.....with the added benefit of being able to choose any team to go to even if they lack cap space.

This would make the superteams even easier wouldnt it?

I definitely agree with your overall point, but I don't think the bold really is a fair assessment.

It wouldn't be at the behest of another team really as the only way Butler would be participating in such an action would be that he really wants to play for the Rockets.

So, lets say this is all accurate reporting...it is only going down this road because the Rockets want Butler AND Butler badly wants to play for the Rockets....and there is really only one way to make that happen...which is a sign/trade.

It would be a player acting selfishly to get what he wants, again assuming he wants to play for the Rockets above all else, and the truth is him leaving and the Sixers getting Gordon and something else probably is the Sixers best option as well if he's leaving anyway.

tpols
06-25-2019, 08:17 PM
So jimmy butler and harden isos?

**** that...

DMAVS41
06-25-2019, 08:22 PM
Well Jimmy is gonna be on Max money so the have to make a salary match. Woj also said that Houston needs a third team to get anything done. So Houston doesn't have all the hand here.

I'm no expert on sign and trades because the are a rarity.

But what if Elton just turns around to Jimmy and says, 'sorry couldn't get a deal done. Maybe next summer we can get a deal with Houston'?

Is it in the contract that he HAS to be traded when he signs it?

Rockets won't give up Tucker.

It would be Gordon/Capela...with probably a 3rd team taking on Capela and sending the Sixers something they'd want more.

As for the picks...I doubt the Sixers would get more than one, if any.

But, I really don't see this happening. It would be super complicated and all the teams would be under time constraints and pressure. Possible, but not likely.

fourkicks44
06-25-2019, 08:36 PM
As far as I know Philadelphia can still offer Jimmy an extra year that other teams can't.

That being the case if he wants to get paid and he wants to be in Houston he needs the Sixers to get what he wants.

I don't think Jimmy is just 'walking away'. If he wants to leave (and once again there is absolutely no indication from Butler that he wants to leave), it won't be beacause he hates Philly and wants out at any cost. It will be beacause he specifically wants to go to a certain team.

But to repeat, this according to Woj, is all apparently what Houston wants. No idnication that Butler or the Sixers have anything to do with this yet.

bigkingsfan
06-25-2019, 08:36 PM
I'm no expert on sign and trades because the are a rarity.

But what if Elton just turns around to Jimmy and says, 'sorry couldn't get a deal done. Maybe next summer we can get a deal with Houston'?

Is it in the contract that he HAS to be traded when he signs it?
No one would ever deal with the 76ers again if they agreed to the trade before.

The Laker/Pelicans trade isn't official either. That's why the Lakers were doing the drafting. Technically, either party could still back out.

LoneyROY7
06-25-2019, 08:44 PM
https://media.giphy.com/media/fxC7k3mgCtRjqtvBDT/giphy.gif

DMAVS41
06-25-2019, 08:44 PM
As far as I know Philadelphia can still offer Jimmy an extra year that other teams can't.

That being the case if he wants to get paid and he wants to be in Houston he needs the Sixers to get what he wants.

I don't think Jimmy is just 'walking away'. If he wants to leave (and once again there is absolutely no indication from Butler that he wants to leave), it won't be beacause he hates Philly and wants out at any cost. It will be beacause he specifically wants to go to a certain team.

But to repeat, this according to Woj, is all apparently what Houston wants. No idnication that Butler or the Sixers have anything to do with this yet.

Right, that was my point.

The only way something like this even has a chance at happening would be because the player in question badly wants to play for a specific team.

I have no idea if that is the case with Butler obviously...

Kblaze8855
06-25-2019, 09:17 PM
I think the requirement that the player in question wants to go to the team trying to strong-arm its way into a sign and trade is assumed.

DMAVS41
06-25-2019, 09:34 PM
Well, yea, so it isn't really at the behest of another team...it is the player taking the only path available to get to said team.

iamgine
06-25-2019, 09:58 PM
It's fair.

HOU wouldn't be forcing PHI, they're just laying the option to Jimmy. If Jimmy really wanted to go to HOU, then he can tell PHI the two options you already mentioned. PHI themselves knew this risk from the start, so they're not really a surprised victim. If they feel the package from HOU isn't too good, then they can offer Jimmy a better one or just lose him in FA. No one force anyone to do anything.