PDA

View Full Version : A toll booth operator just told me he's losing his job to automation...

stalkerforlife
06-28-2019, 12:44 AM
He said "I guess this is what they call progress."

So what happens when the jobs dry up for the average Joe?

warriorfan
06-28-2019, 12:49 AM
They will probably kill them and grind them up into food for livestock

https://cdn.zmescience.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/georgiaguidestone-2.jpg

stalkerforlife
06-28-2019, 12:57 AM
They will probably kill them and grind them up into food for livestock

https://cdn.zmescience.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/georgiaguidestone-2.jpg

I was thinking a big population control tactic will be used soon.

Not sure if it'll be weather control or a lethal addictive drug, etc.

Fentanyl seems to be doing the trick recently; big dollars and a lot of deaths.

highwhey
06-28-2019, 01:04 AM
the counter argument to this has always been the blanket argument of

Patrick Chewing
06-28-2019, 01:27 AM
Elon Musk predicts a massive population decrease by the year 2050.

highwhey
06-28-2019, 01:44 AM
People tell me I look Native American.

I suppose I have a lot of of Native American DNA.

I'm not intelligent, so I wish I had more white in me.
that

Cleverness
06-28-2019, 03:54 AM
[QUOTE=highwhey]the counter argument to this has always been the blanket argument of

jstern
06-28-2019, 04:31 AM
I remember back in the late 60s, early 70s or so there was big controversy, big fear that computers, or as they called it back then automation was going to take away our jobs. So this was a nice blast to the past for me.

Your exact same concern has been going on literally for over 50 years.

Hawker
06-28-2019, 04:53 AM
[QUOTE=highwhey]the counter argument to this has always been the blanket argument of

Nanners
06-28-2019, 04:59 AM
A lot of jobs are going to be replaced by automation and AI in the coming years - Transportation (the single biggest field of employment in the US), Food service, and jobs like tool booth operators are the obvious candidates for automation... but ultimately almost every job is on the chopping block (even the people who program the job-stealing bots, you can write software to write other software). While it sucks that tool booth operators and tuckers are going to be losing their jobs in the not-so-distant future, things are going to get really interesting when white collar workers inevitably start losing their jobs to automation too.

The entire medical field might be the most obvious place where white collar jobs are on the chopping block. An AI doctor will be able to examine and diagnose patients FAR better than any human doctor could ever dream of, and computer surgeons will have far better precision and accuracy than the best human surgeons. This is especially true for narrow fields like dentistry, they will probably be the first to get replaced.

Another white collar field that is ripe for automation is law. While lawyers themselves will probably stay human for a while, the legions of legal clerks and aides that assist lawyers are more than ripe for replacement. A computer can analyze and sort documents a million times faster than a human legal aide, and while many large law firms currently employ hundreds of aides to help analyze and sort data in big lawsuits, virtually all of these jobs are easily replaceable.

Finance is another white collar field that is already being heavily automated. Day traders barely exist anymore, they have largely been replaced by trading algorithms... and jobs like accountants and financial advisors are on the way out too.

Ironically, the jobs that are safest from automation are jobs in the "useless" humanities fields. Software struggles tremendously with tasks like analyzing complex philosophical arguments.

GimmeThat
06-28-2019, 06:53 AM
Didn't know we raised the speed limit without the increase in accidents

RoseCity07
06-28-2019, 07:06 AM
Elon Musk predicts a massive population decrease by the year 2050.

When did he say that? It does actually make sense. I think fewer people are getting married and having children. Social media is making people more isolated and lonely than ever.

The next generation is just going to be single parents that postmate dinner, watch netflix, and occasionally date.

Bosnian Sajo
06-28-2019, 07:57 AM
A toll booth operator...a job in which absolutely NO skill or effort is required. Yea, automate that shit, those are exactly the type of jobs I'm 100% fine with being automated. Tf?

dunksby
06-28-2019, 07:58 AM
What a tragedy!

egokiller
06-28-2019, 10:01 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zcI0TJixars

Vino24
06-28-2019, 10:18 AM
Letting Libs and feminazis run things is the population control. No one is breeding with that :oldlol:

Patrick Chewing
06-28-2019, 11:27 AM
When did he say that? It does actually make sense. I think fewer people are getting married and having children. Social media is making people more isolated and lonely than ever.

The next generation is just going to be single parents that postmate dinner, watch netflix, and occasionally date.

That was his reason I believe. That many of us across the globe are so obsessed with social media and with ourselves, that basic human interaction is on the decline. So there will be many old people by 2050, but less younger people in the age range capable of procreating.

https://www.dailywire.com/news/48779/elon-musk-heres-why-world-population-will-start-james-barrett

stalkerforlife
06-28-2019, 12:42 PM
A toll booth operator...a job in which absolutely NO skill or effort is required. Yea, automate that shit, those are exactly the type of jobs I'm 100% fine with being automated. Tf?

Actually, it takes good customer service to be a good one.

People are social beings and good customer service is invaluable.

That man last night was helpful in many ways to me.

I'm not surprised you don't understand that as the disrespectful bitch that you are.

nathanjizzle
06-28-2019, 12:50 PM
that's why the marginalized such as yourself need to look up Andrew yang.

highwhey
06-28-2019, 04:40 PM
Hasn't this been the same argument forever? And disproven forever?
we've never seen the adoption of automation that will become the norm. we're talking about a broad adoption across many different industries. even fast food joints are adopting or considering it.

stalkerforlife
06-28-2019, 05:16 PM
that's why the marginalized such as yourself need to look up Andrew yang.

You turned me off from Asians.

You're hateful even after I showed you love.

Could never trust y'all after that.

highwhey
06-28-2019, 05:20 PM
You turned me off from Asians.

You're hateful even after I showed you love.

Could never trust y'all after that.
i

Loco 50
06-28-2019, 05:23 PM

It's much more important that average Joe holds a vital job like toll booth operator so that he can tell society he has a job than say:

A.) improving his education
B.) improving his community
C.) taking care of his family
D.) improving his own health

Wouldn't want society to call him a shiftless bum afterall.:confusedshrug:

stalkerforlife
06-28-2019, 05:43 PM
It's much more important that average Joe holds a vital job like toll booth operator so that he can tell society he has a job than say:

A.) improving his education
B.) improving his community
C.) taking care of his family
D.) improving his own health

Wouldn't want society to call him a shiftless bum afterall.:confusedshrug:

BS post.

Not even worth a real reply.

Bitch.

Loco 50
06-28-2019, 05:48 PM
BS post.

Not even worth a real reply.

Bitch.
I mean you have described yourself as "dumb as a rock" when I argued against it, so I guess you're about proving me wrong:( . You let me down Stalker. I had higher hopes of civility from you.

stalkerforlife
06-28-2019, 05:50 PM
I mean you have described yourself as "dumb as a rock" when I argued against it, so I guess you're about proving me wrong:( . You let me down Stalker. I had higher hopes of civility from you.

Your post was completely uncivil.

dude77
06-28-2019, 05:52 PM
lol@andrew yang .. after watching the debate, I'm trying to figure out how he even signed up to run .. dude was invisible .. he's way too passive and meek .. not the qualities of a president

is that a toll booth in north florida ? toll workers have been gone for a while down here in south florida

Loco 50
06-28-2019, 05:52 PM
Your post was completely uncivil.
:roll: :roll: :roll: You're a funny mf'er, Stalker. One of the few remaining here.

Jasper
06-28-2019, 05:55 PM

They will but fvck little twerps like you , and send you to a deserted island.