PDA

View Full Version : Official: Al Horford to 76ers for 4 years 104 mill

FireDavidKahn
06-30-2019, 09:09 PM
https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1145499428398215168

100% made this move so Embiid wont have to play against him in the play offs:bowdown: :applause:

LukeWalton
06-30-2019, 09:09 PM
per WOJ and POJ

Im so nba'd out
06-30-2019, 09:10 PM
https://media2.giphy.com/media/3oEdv3F6gzBh8diueA/giphy.gif

bigkingsfan
06-30-2019, 09:11 PM
Marc Gasol opted in :roll:

Shogon
06-30-2019, 09:12 PM
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Wow, the Harris signing was bullshit in terms of over-payment, but this move may very well get Philadelphia out of the East next year. Horford is on the way down, but still...

Meticode
06-30-2019, 09:12 PM
Embiid
Horford
Harris
??????
Simmons

??????? = Josh Richardson

tontoz
06-30-2019, 09:14 PM
Wow. Didn't see that coming.

FireDavidKahn
06-30-2019, 09:15 PM
Embiid
Horford
Harris
??????
Simmons
Josh Richardson.

LukeWalton
76ers still in contention! if Kawaii leaves, then next year might be the only year they can win the East while KD recopuoersaras

Meticode
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Wow, the Harris signing was bullshit in terms of over-payment, but this move may very well get Philadelphia out of the East next year. Horford is on the way down, but still...
I think they're worse myself right now as it stands losing Reddick and Butler. The league is built on guard player and shooting right now. They have a huge question mark at SG I think...

EDIT: Nevermind, I didnt' see that Josh Richardson was a sign and trade in the Butler deal.

Doranku
06-30-2019, 09:18 PM
The 76ers are huge lol

Simmons - 6'10
Harris - 6'9
Horford - 6'10
Embiid - 7'0

Dr. Cheesesteak
06-30-2019, 09:18 PM
Embiid
Horford
Harris
??????
SimmonsJosh Richardson.
Long, huge ass lineup lol.

FireDavidKahn
06-30-2019, 09:19 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D-WjqhHU0AAUlxL.jpg:large

Embers
06-30-2019, 09:20 PM
What a terrible move. This will be the slowest team of all time.

red1
06-30-2019, 09:20 PM
horford is gonna decline soon he's been in the league for a long time has to be in his mid 30's.

sixers really going all-in must also sense how weak the league is next year.

DMAVS41
06-30-2019, 09:21 PM
Still going to need to find some guard play, but turning Butler/JJ into Horford/Richardson is damn good.

I mean, it is an all-in move, but they already were and if there is anything consistent in this league it is that things change quickly...might as well really go for it the next 3 years and see what happens.

But, they need guard play and more shooting....and Tobias is going to need to work his ass off on defense or there will be major problems.

CelticBaller
06-30-2019, 09:22 PM
Horford is on the decline but he still a solid defender

**** him though

red1
06-30-2019, 09:22 PM
sixers got worse IMO butler and redick were both important for their playoff success.

losing butler is a huge loss IMO.

Embers
06-30-2019, 09:23 PM
Still going to need to find some guard play, but turning Butler/JJ into Horford/Richardson is damn good.

It's a downgrade on chemistry for sure. The team will be so easy to defend against. Pack the paint and let Harris and J Rich toss 3s if you are the opposition

Meticode
06-30-2019, 09:24 PM
Long, huge ass lineup lol.
If Embiid can stay out there.

Wally450
06-30-2019, 09:25 PM
Horford is the best player on that team.

DMAVS41
06-30-2019, 09:26 PM
It's a downgrade on chemistry for sure. The team will be so easy to defend against. Pack the paint and let Harris and J Rich toss 3s if you are the opposition

What?

You absolutely do not want to let Harris and Richardson shoot open 3's...

But, yes...the lack of wing defense and guard play are problems for sure.

But your strategy is terrible...Harris/Richardson shoot well and would be over the EV of what the opposition would want.

Wally450
06-30-2019, 09:27 PM
Embiid so happy he doesn't have to go up against Al now. :lol

Embers
06-30-2019, 09:31 PM
What?

You absolutely do not want to let Harris and Richardson shoot open 3's...

But, yes...the lack of wing defense and guard play are problems for sure.

But your strategy is terrible...Harris/Richardson shoot well and would be over the EV of what the opposition would want.

Embiid is the weapon, not Josh Richardson catch and shoot. They can't move the ball back to Embiid, in this line up he is almost like a decoy. Why have the best offensive C in NBA history and essentially force the ball out of his hand with the team you build around him?

solar.hands
06-30-2019, 09:32 PM
Is this the second time a father, big Al, and son, Joel, played on the same team after Lebron and Delonte?

DMAVS41
06-30-2019, 09:39 PM
Embiid is the weapon, not Josh Richardson catch and shoot. They can't move the ball back to Embiid, in this line up he is almost like a decoy. Why have the best offensive C in NBA history and essentially force the ball out of his hand with the team you build around him?

I don't know what you want someone to say...this team is not ideal...I don't think I've seen anyone argue that.

However, your take that other teams will be good with Harris/Richardson bombing open 3's is just not accurate.

That doesn't mean there are no problems, but if the strategy against the Sixers is to give up open looks to those two guys...it won't work.

CelticBaller
06-30-2019, 09:39 PM
you're a dumbass :roll:

Im so nba'd out
06-30-2019, 10:08 PM
god if we could just move ben simmons......it would just be (looks up dreamingly)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOBD6tiItvY

Vino24
06-30-2019, 10:22 PM
Interesting team but Sixers are hurting for shooters :oldlol:

ReturnofJPR
06-30-2019, 10:29 PM
Sixers are going in the other direction of most teams in the league who prefer a fast paced style of play. Certainly, speed and transition buckets won’t be their strong suit. I’ve never like Horford. He came out of a Florida with Joakim Noah. And while Noah had all the balls and leadership qualities, Horford has always proven to be soft and fails to make shots in the biggest of moments. He was the Atlanta Hawks’ franchise player for an entire decade. Let that sink in. Then he went to Boston where he certainly didn’t get any better. He’s 13 or 14 years into his NBA career and the 76ers paid him over $25 mil per for 4 more seasons! Geez they’re going to regret that down the line. That’s big time money for a 13 and 6 player. Don’t expect Horford’s rebounding numbers to go up playing next to Joel and Simmons either. Looks like the 76ers made some desperate moves and have a couple of new, expensive, contracts they will regret in 2 years.

fourkicks44
06-30-2019, 11:52 PM
Horford is old but this is a smart move TBH.

The Sixers f(cked up by playing Embiid so much in the first half of the regular season. By playoffs he was cooked.

First hand they saw how Kawhi rested when ever he wanted and by playoffs he was fresh and in peak form.

Horfod signing means Joel can sit as much as need. Plus we are looking at the potentially best defensive team in the NBA now. Switch on ANYTHING. That length doe.....

Horford can age gracefully now. Benificial for both parties.

Horford is on the decline but he still a solid defender

**** him though

And the funniest part is Horford left Boston for Philadelphia.

You are mad and it is funny af :roll:

DMAVS41
07-01-2019, 12:40 AM
Damn, when you really evaluate the East...

Could this last year have gone worse for the Celtics?

They didn't move Kyrie when it was obvious they should have...he walks for nothing to a team that will be better...and then they lose Horford to their biggest in-conference rivals.

Ouch...

Vino24
07-01-2019, 01:26 AM

They didn't move Kyrie when it was obvious they should have...he walks for nothing to a team that will be better...and then they lose Horford to their biggest in-conference rivals.

Ouch...
Got Kemba. Celtics will thrive

Manny98
07-01-2019, 03:28 AM
Got Kemba. Celtics will thrive
:roll:

nashwade
07-01-2019, 04:05 AM
Butler to Horford is a serious downgrade.. 76ers is regressing

GOBB
07-01-2019, 06:10 AM
4 years? What was brand thinking

chains5000
07-01-2019, 06:19 AM
4 years? What was brand thinking
Win now.
Celtics get worse, Sixers get a player who can help stopping Giannis and, IF Leonard leaves Toronto, it could get them to the Finals.

It's more or less the same thing the Raptors did, risk it all for a title, even if it means mediocrity for a long time.

GOBB
07-01-2019, 06:24 AM
Win now.
Celtics get worse, Sixers get a player who can help stopping Giannis and, IF Leonard leaves Toronto, it could get them to the Finals.

It's more or less the same thing the Raptors did, risk it all for a title, even if it means mediocrity for a long time.

That

step_back
07-01-2019, 06:29 AM
I don't think this move is all that great. They need 3 point shooters especially with Joel and Simmons doing the majority of their work in the paint. Horford can knock down a 3 but he's not a wing guy coming off screens which is what they really need. They should have targeted guys like Malcolm Brogdon, Bogdanovic, Eric Gordon.

The guy is also going to be turning 34 in the finals next year if the 76's get there.

GOBB
07-01-2019, 06:37 AM
I don't think this move is all that great. They need 3 point shooters especially with Joel and Simmons doing the majority of their work in the paint. Horford can knock down a 3 but he's not a wing guy coming off screens which is what they really need. They should have targeted guys like Malcolm Brogdon and Bogdanovic.

The guy is also going to be turning 34 in the finals next year if the 76's get there.

Malcom cost $21mil per plus a first round pick. Bojan while he is a sharpshooter is a bad defender. We would

step_back
07-01-2019, 06:48 AM
[QUOTE=GOBB]Malcom cost $21mil per plus a first round pick. Bojan while he is a sharpshooter is a bad defender. We would

chains5000
07-01-2019, 07:07 AM
[QUOTE=GOBB]That

CelticBaller
07-01-2019, 07:20 AM

Ouch...
That Horford contract will be CP3 level of bad. Thank god we didn

dbugz
07-01-2019, 07:28 AM
make sense

-Embiid don't need to worry anymore about him facing Horford in the playoffs :oldlol:

-Embiid has stamina issue, they can just place Al in the 5 and manage the load of Embiid

They need a good PG though who has outside shooting ala Drajic though cap wise that ain't possible. They can't just rely on simmons at 1 because that's a liability on offense come playoffs time.

GOBB
07-01-2019, 07:47 AM
Those are other options available now but the 76's could have also spent that money on improving the bench or kept the space for the next few years. Why they think they have to be in a win now mode when your two franchise players are 22 and 25 is beyond me. Philly just made sure that they won't be able to go after any significant pieces for the next 4/5 years. If you think Horford can be the player he is now at 34,35,36 and 37 then good luck to you. Personally I don't see it happening.

Let me clarify i think Brogdon wouldn

GOBB
07-01-2019, 07:49 AM
I guess as a hinkie supporter I have to come to grips that today

DMAVS41
07-01-2019, 08:38 AM
[QUOTE=GOBB]I guess as a hinkie supporter I have to come to grips that today

Derka
07-01-2019, 09:23 AM
Horford sliding back to the four will be a good thing for him.

I think Philly's going to hate the back end of this contract but if they can get some guards on the cheap this summer, they may have a shot should Kawhi choose to leave the East. But these next two years are their window...again, should Kawhi jump back to the West.

GOBB
07-01-2019, 09:24 AM
History has shown, especially recent history, that when a team has enough to contend...they should go for it...because the league changes so fast.

I get that being the norm just don

DMAVS41
07-01-2019, 09:27 AM
[QUOTE=GOBB]I get that being the norm just don

Jasper
07-01-2019, 09:42 AM
he can slide to 5 , but I actually think this makes this team less effective than the 2018/19 season.

He might just camp out at the 3 point line.

GimmeThat
07-02-2019, 03:00 AM
another team out to prove the usefulness of Pete Myers

thefatmiral
07-02-2019, 12:08 PM
Who are the Celtics keeping? Why are they blowing it up ?

Derka
07-02-2019, 12:29 PM
Who are the Celtics keeping? Why are they blowing it up ?
From last season: Hayward, Smart, Tatum, Brown, Yabusele, Williams, Ojeleye.

They didn't blow it up on purpose; Horford and Kyrie chose to leave. The Celtics made a four year offer to Horford but he took Philly's because it was more money.

Real Men Wear Green
07-02-2019, 12:35 PM
Who are the Celtics keeping? Why are they blowing it up ?The rebuild isn't intentional but Irving wanted out and Horford wanted more money than the celtics wanted to pay. I don't blame anyone (especially not Horford, 100 mil is a lot of money to be offered at his age, great grandkids now set for life). But it's not a complete blow up, they still have the three wings and Smart, and the duo of Kanter and Walker is about as good a job of replacing guys as could be done with free agency, even though the defense is going to be worse.

CelticBaller
08-19-2020, 08:49 PM
That Horford contract will be CP3 level of bad. Thank god we didn

Making the CP3 contract look good lol

Btw where are all the 76ers fans at? Bunch of these clowns are nowhere to be seen

NBAGOAT
08-19-2020, 08:58 PM
like other people, I underestimated how disastrous the fit would be. Now philly's looking to offload him and multiple picks for someone not even that good like Hield

E_Stamkos
08-19-2020, 09:04 PM
Horford sliding back to the four will be a good thing for him.

I think Philly's going to hate the back end of this contract but if they can get some guards on the cheap this summer, they may have a shot should Kawhi choose to leave the East. But these next two years are their window...again, should Kawhi jump back to the West.

From the looks of it, they're hating the front end as well

AirBonner
08-19-2020, 09:48 PM
76ers just wasted Embiid’s prime with this horford signing

coin24
08-20-2020, 02:05 AM
Sixers are done.

Time to trade either embiid or simmons (both immature betas tbh I honestly dont know which one is better to keep)
Get rid of Brett Brown hes useless

Pray someone wants Harris or Horford. Yikes. TURRIBLE contracts

Manny98
08-20-2020, 05:44 AM
https://media.giphy.com/media/3oEdv07JVXwhImYGWc/giphy.gif

Derka
08-20-2020, 08:37 AM
From the looks of it, they're hating the front end as well

I'll say. Seems like Al and Joel can't be on the floor together and that can't possibly be what they envisioned with this signing. Big time ouch for Philly here.

E_Stamkos
08-20-2020, 08:47 AM
I'll say. Seems like Al and Joel can't be on the floor together and that can't possibly be what they envisioned with this signing. Big time ouch for Philly here.

Why is that though? Admittedly, I haven't watched much of their games this year but Al being slotted at 4 would ostensibly seem like a good fit next to Embid.

What causes them to be so ineffective as a tandem?

Derka
08-20-2020, 09:10 AM
Why is that though? Admittedly, I haven't watched much of their games this year but Al being slotted at 4 would ostensibly seem like a good fit next to Embid.

Hell if I know. Someone who watches more Philly games than me might know. I thought at the time of the signing that Al made a ton of sense for these first two years. Al showed himself to be able to adapt his game to whatever you needed. It was certainly a strength in his time in Boston. Even though he prefers to be at the 4, there were plenty of instances where Brad slid him into the 5 spot and he got the job done. He was never a marquee guy but he was always able to find ways to contribute. On Philly, he just seems lost. Maybe Brett Brown just hasn't figured out how to use him. I could definitely see work ethic/competitive drive issues between him and Embiid. He won't do it publicly but Al's all about pushing guys if he thinks they're not giving 100%.

Shogon
08-20-2020, 09:23 AM
I thought Horford might help put them over the top for a year, well, that was clearly wrong thinking on my part.

I was a huge 76ers fan there for a minute, watching every minute of every game, and then they gutted the youth of the team and I just stopped watching. Hinke's vision is completely dead. McConnell, Covington, Saric, Fultz... all gone.... and for what? LOL. Those youthful players are a huge part of what made the team exciting. Belenelli and Ilyasova fit well with that group also.

The Tobias Harris signing is when I officially stopped watching.

Simmons and Embiid aren't complimentary.

What a shame... they were a Kawhi Leonard jump shot with a lucky bounce at the buzzer of a game 7 away from winning it all last year... to now they're mediocre and locked into that mediocrity for years to come as a result of mismanagement at the top by brain dead Elton Brand.

NBAGOAT
08-20-2020, 10:19 AM

Mainly a lack of shooting and some bad playcalling by brown. Especially when Simmons plays with them. People assumed Simmons and embiid would get a bit better there but they haven’t really.. Horford Harris and Richardson all regressed as shooters too so their main lineup, they have 2 weak shooters and their 2nd best shooter is horford at 35%.

When they replace one of embiid/Simmons/horford with a bench shooter they actually do ok on offense but then defense isn’t nearly as good.