PDA

View Full Version : Durant and Klay recovery outlook.

DoctorP
07-01-2019, 11:36 AM
After seeing what happened to Kobe and his rapid decline even with his intense work ethic my outlook for Kevin Durant, who is much more delicate at 7 feet, is pessimistic.

Convince me otherwise.

----------------------------------------------

Klay has to have his knee completely rebuilt, the man can shoot but his athleticism was a part of his ability to defend and get space, he will also not have the luxury of having Durant to open the floor for him. Perhaps maxing him out was foolish.

What are your thoughts?

Manny98
07-01-2019, 11:42 AM
Kobe was 34 when he ruptured his achilles and had a whole host of injurys that he dealt with

KD is still only 30 and doesn't need his athleticism as much as Kobe did

He'll play more off ball and take more jumpshots but will still easily be a top 5 player when he returns

DoctorP
07-01-2019, 11:51 AM
Kobe was 34 when he ruptured his achilles and had a whole host of injurys that he dealt with

KD is still only 30 and doesn't need his athleticism as much as Kobe did

He'll play more off ball and take more jumpshots but will still easily be a top 5 player when he returns

:oldlol:

Durant will be 32 when he returns and will be as mobile as Brook Lopez

ImKobe
07-01-2019, 11:55 AM

Why are we assuming that he won't return for the Playoffs this upcoming season? Kobe at 35 returned in 8 months. If KD returns in April, that's 10 months. Cousins took a full year but the Warriors took their time with him and he's obviously a much heavier dude.

tontoz
07-01-2019, 11:56 AM
Kobe relied heavily on his athleticism. KD doesn't. His height and J aren't going anywhere.

Just look at how long Dirk played while struggling to get up and down the court.

Also KD is skinny so he doesn't take the pounding that other guys do running the court.

Manny98
07-01-2019, 11:56 AM

No he won't lol

Dominique Wilkins had the best season of his career when he returned from his achilles tear why can't KD :confusedshrug:

Rudy Gay hasn't looked like he lost a step either

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/InfiniteCrispArrowcrab-size_restricted.gif

DoctorP
07-01-2019, 12:00 PM
Why are we assuming that he won't return for the Playoffs this upcoming season? Kobe at 35 returned in 8 months. If KD returns in April, that's 10 months. Cousins took a full year but the Warriors took their time with him and he's obviously a much heavier dude.

because that would just get him reinjured.

wang4three
07-01-2019, 12:00 PM

Last thing I'd like is for KD to come back sooner than he needs to. If we're a 6-8 seed looking at a first or second round exit, might as well just wait till 2020-21. Trying to integrate Kevin then where we'll heavily need him to make it to the conference finals is not wise.

ImKobe
07-01-2019, 12:06 PM
because that would just get him reinjured.

But he was fine returning down 1 - 3 in the Finals when he knew the risk. :confusedshrug:

DoctorP
07-01-2019, 12:06 PM
But he was fine returning down 1 - 3 in the Finals when he knew the risk. :confusedshrug:

and got injured.

ImKobe
07-01-2019, 12:16 PM
and got injured.

That's with a partially torn achilles, which has a much higher rate of re-injury compared to returning from a ruptured achilles post-surgery. If KD's willing to return a month after partially tearing it, it's likely he'd return 10 months after surgery when he'll be back to running and practicing in Feb/Mar. Depends on the rehab of course, but I'm not ruling it out.

DoctorP
07-01-2019, 12:28 PM
That's with a partially torn achilles, which has a much higher rate of re-injury compared to returning from a ruptured achilles post-surgery. If KD's willing to return a month after partially tearing it, it's likely he'd return 10 months after surgery when he'll be back to running and practicing in Feb/Mar. Depends on the rehab of course, but I'm not ruling it out.

Everyone's gonna try to rush him back but it aint about fast food when it comes to health, its about the gourmet.

SouBeachTalents
07-01-2019, 12:34 PM
I can't imagine after what just happened to him, that he'd risk coming back early from an injury again. You'd have to think he learned his lesson the hard way

ImKobe
07-01-2019, 12:49 PM
I can't imagine after what just happened to him, that he'd risk coming back early from an injury again. You'd have to think he learned his lesson the hard way

Is 10 months early? Kobe returned in 8 months, Gay returned in 9, neither re-injured their achilles. Say he's back to running full-speed 7 months from now, that leaves him a lot of time to get ready for the Playoffs. There are obviously a lot of variables in this but you can't rule it out.

DoctorP
07-01-2019, 01:45 PM
Is 10 months early? Kobe returned in 8 months, Gay returned in 9, neither re-injured their achilles. Say he's back to running full-speed 7 months from now, that leaves him a lot of time to get ready for the Playoffs. There are obviously a lot of variables in this but you can't rule it out.

None of these guys led a team to success after injury. None.

ImKobe
07-01-2019, 01:58 PM
None of these guys led a team after injury. None.

And what does "leading a team" have to do with coming back from an achilles injury? If Kobe and Gay could come back from the injury within 8-9 months, what makes you think that Durant couldn't? Out of the 3 guys, he relies on his athletic ability the least with his height and wingspan. Can he come back on limited minutes and knock down some jumpers for his team?

Durant has Kyrie Irving to "lead the team", it's not like I'm expecting him to come back to playing 40 minutes a night while playing with a high usage rate like he did his MVP season.

DoctorP
07-01-2019, 02:02 PM
And what does "leading a team" have to do with coming back from an achilles injury? If Kobe and Gay could come back from the injury within 8-9 months, what makes you think that Durant couldn't? Out of the 3 guys, he relies on his athletic ability the least with his height and wingspan. Can he come back on limited minutes and knock down some jumpers for his team?

Durant has Kyrie Irving to "lead the team", it's not like I'm expecting him to come back to playing 40 minutes a night while playing with a high usage rate like he did his MVP season.

Enjoy the Gordon Haywood situation all you want, using a max on a risk is risky. Kyrie teaming up with him is risky too. You want your max guy to be able to lead your team to a title, if not what's the point?

If he is relegated to role player stats he will be overpaid and blocking future moves for Kyrie

Gus Hemmingway
07-01-2019, 02:04 PM

Kobe missed the playoffs...

ImKobe
07-01-2019, 02:14 PM
Enjoy the Gordon Haywood situation all you want, using a max on a risk is risky. Kyrie teaming up with him is risky too. You want your max guy to be able to lead your team to a title, if not what's the point?

If he is relegated to role player stats he will be overpaid and blocking future moves for Kyrie

What does this have to do with Gordon Hayward's fractured tibia?

All I'm saying is there's a possibility that Durant could return for next year's Playoffs, I'm not saying he will be playing 40 minutes or "leading the team" right away but 10+ months is more than enough to be back playing basketball. Durant doesn't need much athletic ability to get a shot off against any defensive player in the league. If his achilles is fine and he's cleared to play, why sit him out if they are in a position to compete for a championship?

Hayward injured himself in the first game of the season coming into his max deal, there's always risk when a player is on the court. If KD is healthy and cleared to play, I expect him to show up for the Playoffs if the Nets are in a good position. They don't need him to run the offense or take 20+ shots a game, just his shooting ability alone is good enough to change the series. You saw how lethal he was on a torn achilles after not playing for a month.

DoctorP
07-01-2019, 02:16 PM
What does this have to do with Gordon Hayward's fractured tibia?

All I'm saying is there's a possibility that Durant could return for next year's Playoffs, I'm not saying he will be playing 40 minutes or "leading the team" right away but 10+ months is more than enough to be back playing basketball. Durant doesn't need much athletic ability to get a shot off against any defensive player in the league. If his achilles is fine and he's cleared to play, why sit him out if they are in a position to compete for a championship?

Hayward injured himself in the first game of the season coming into his max deal, there's always risk when a player is on the court. If KD is healthy and cleared to play, I expect him to show up for the Playoffs if the Nets are in a good position. They don't need him to run the offense or take 20+ shots a game, just his shooting ability alone is good enough to change the series. You saw how lethal he was on a torn achilles after not playing for a month.

That's best case scenario and certainly possible. We will see.

Worst case is he is a 15ppg spot up shooter with no mobility.

iamgine
07-01-2019, 02:34 PM
I'm also pessimistic about Durant's star prospect. I predict he'll just be an above average player when he fully returns.