PDA

View Full Version : Whitesite to the Blazers

Mean Joe Bean
07-01-2019, 12:43 PM
Whiteside to the Blazers for Mo Harkless and Meyers Leonard (https://twitter.com/wojespn?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ct wgr%5Eauthor)

DMAVS41
07-01-2019, 12:44 PM
This is so confusing.

Is there compensation to the Blazers?

They now have Collins/Nurkic/Whiteside...and no forwards.

DoctorP
07-01-2019, 12:47 PM
Whiteside can play and is an expirer. Needed a fresh start.

Dr. Cheesesteak
07-01-2019, 12:48 PM
Yeah, I don't get it either... Unless they gonna try to do twin towers and expect ZC and Whiteside to do all the switching to protect Nurk down low.

brownmamba00
07-01-2019, 12:51 PM
These trades have been so random

Bosnian Sajo
07-01-2019, 12:51 PM
Oh man, I hate this for the Blazers. Last thing Nurk needs is another center to compete with him for playing time...Enes was perfect off the bench.

Dr. Cheesesteak
07-01-2019, 12:53 PM
Oh man, I hate this for the Blazers. Last thing Nurk needs is another center to compete with him for playing time...Enes was perfect off the bench.
well, Super Mario is their only F now. I think they're going twin towers. Which w/ this group can work on D. ZC and Whiteside are long and athletic enough to handle the p&r's, and if one of them is always on the floor, then they should be covered.

RRR3
07-01-2019, 12:58 PM
Yes!!!!

Bam full time starter now!

Just gotta dump Dragic now

Bosnian Sajo
07-01-2019, 12:59 PM
well, Super Mario is their only F now. I think they're going twin towers. Which w/ this group can work on D. ZC and Whiteside are long and athletic enough to handle the p&r's, and if one of them is always on the floor, then they should be covered.

Rodney Hood? Jake Layman?

Kent Bazemore is a bit undersized, but he could slide in there too if needed.

Dr. Cheesesteak
07-01-2019, 01:02 PM
Rodney Hood? Jake Layman?

Kent Bazemore is a bit undersized, but he could slide in there too if needed.
I always considered Baz and Hood G/F's, not true F's. And in today's NBA a true F is really a tweener who can play 3, 4, or even 5. And Layman is off the books, right?

But anyway, you're right. But so am I. They can put any of those guys out at 3 and still run twin towers. Whiteside, ZC, and Nurk rotating 2 spots gives you tons of options and flexibility on both ends of the court.

Bosnian Sajo
07-01-2019, 01:05 PM
I always considered Baz and Hood G/F's, not true F's. And in today's NBA a true F is really a tweener who can play 3, 4, or even 5. And Layman is off the books, right?

But anyway, you're right. But so am I. They can put any of those guys out at 3 and still run twin towers. Whiteside, ZC, and Nurk rotating 2 spots gives you tons of options and flexibility on both ends of the court.

It'll be interesting to see how this works, that's for damn sure.

Portland did however lose a lot of quality perimeter defenders. Aminu, Harkless, Turner...idk. I liked Aminu's fit on this team a whole lot more than the idea of Whiteside and Nurk starting together.

Dr. Cheesesteak
07-01-2019, 01:10 PM
It'll be interesting to see how this works, that's for damn sure.

Portland did however lose a lot of quality perimeter defenders. Aminu, Harkless, Turner...idk. I liked Aminu's fit on this team a whole lot more than the idea of Whiteside and Nurk starting together.
Agreed. But I do like that they're doing SOMETHING. I've called for a big change (Dame or CJ traded) for that roster since before last season. But now they'll be paying Dame a lot more while he gets older. So...it'll be interesting to see how this franchise navigates its roster over the next half decade.

RoseCity07
07-01-2019, 01:46 PM
This is so confusing.

Is there compensation to the Blazers?

They now have Collins/Nurkic/Whiteside...and no forwards.

Collins is power forward. Plus they might still keep Kanter who will also play the 4.

Dr. Cheesesteak
07-01-2019, 02:33 PM
Collins is power forward. Plus they might still keep Kanter who will also play the 4.
Well, Kanter gone now. And ZC plays PF, yes, but he's a "big" since he also fills in at 5. But he'll never play 3, so not just a pure "forward" in that sense.

Anyway, this is all r*t*rded semantics. Blazers have 3 bigs and Hezonja as their dedicated frontcourt. Other wings can fill in, but based on this roster, they're likely playing 2 of their 3 bigs at all times. Whether it's Whiteside+Nurk, Nurk+ZC, ZC+Whiteside. Maybe they throw in Hezonja or even Hood at the "4" in small lineups, but...that'd be pretty non-ideal.

RoseCity07
07-01-2019, 02:50 PM
Well, Kanter gone now. And ZC plays PF, yes, but he's a "big" since he also fills in at 5. But he'll never play 3, so not just a pure "forward" in that sense.

Anyway, this is all r*t*rded semantics. Blazers have 3 bigs and Hezonja as their dedicated frontcourt. Other wings can fill in, but based on this roster, they're likely playing 2 of their 3 bigs at all times. Whether it's Whiteside+Nurk, Nurk+ZC, ZC+Whiteside. Maybe they throw in Hezonja or even Hood at the "4" in small lineups, but...that'd be pretty non-ideal.

It's going to be

Lillard
McCollum
Hood or Little
Collins
Whiteside (Until Nurkic is ready)

The actually could have used Kanter.

Blazers are looking good though.:banana:

Olshey has to have some other big in his sights. We need a real back up for Collins. Layman ain't it.

Bosnian Sajo
07-01-2019, 02:59 PM
It's going to be

Lillard
McCollum
Hood or Little
Collins

Olshey has to have some other big in his sights. We need a real back up for Collins. Layman ain't it.

Kanter is such a better fit than Whiteside, especially at the price he signed for.

As for the SF position, I could see them starting Baze at the 3 and have Hood come off the bench. Either or really, Hood is taller so maybe you're right to go with him due to the small backcourt.

I do not like this offseason for the Blazers one bit though, their defense is going to take a hit.

Dr. Cheesesteak
07-01-2019, 03:10 PM
It's going to be

Lillard
McCollum
Hood or Little
Collins

Oh yeah, I keep forgetting about Little. He can fill in nicely and has some bulk, so can probably play the 4/big wing in 4-wing lineups if a big needs a rest.

And I was thinking, Nurk's break was more mid-tibia, like PG13 right? Not low like Hayward? Cuz PG13 took 8 months to return, Hayward was like an exact year. If 8 months, Nurk can be back by Nov/Dec, which I was kinda thinking already. Maybe miss 20-25ish games. Not too bad, really. Hopefully he's doing well.

GimmeThat
07-02-2019, 02:43 AM
it's only odd to say this since Blazers just came off the post season, but the lack of ball movement somehow may not be attributed to the abundance of talent

Jasper
07-02-2019, 11:10 AM
I really consider Whiteside a starting 5 , but he will be a backup and an insurance policy....

Looks like Portland is going to make a serious run -

Great for bball. :applause:

FireDavidKahn
07-02-2019, 08:04 PM
Heat got rid of Whiteside so there'd be no chance of a conflict between him and Butler:lol

RoseCity07
07-03-2019, 03:02 AM
Oh yeah, I keep forgetting about Little. He can fill in nicely and has some bulk, so can probably play the 4/big wing in 4-wing lineups if a big needs a rest.

And I was thinking, Nurk's break was more mid-tibia, like PG13 right? Not low like Hayward? Cuz PG13 took 8 months to return, Hayward was like an exact year. If 8 months, Nurk can be back by Nov/Dec, which I was kinda thinking already. Maybe miss 20-25ish games. Not too bad, really. Hopefully he's doing well.

He can take as much time as he wants. Blazers made it the the WCFs without him. I'd say bring him back in late January.