07-04-2019, 07:08 PM
I'll post the number for each of the 5 games as I do them

Anyone else feel free to post it or verify my findings

I anticipate a time of possession of approximately 4-5 minutes

#mjgoatbyfar

:cheers:

And1AllDay
07-04-2019, 08:12 PM
so a mediocre ball handler that doesnt pass that good didnt hold the ball long wow shocking news at 8 :oldlol:

3ball
07-04-2019, 08:40 PM
1 minute 25 seconds for the 1st quarter of Game 1.. 5.6 pace for the game.. higher than I thought.. but it was his most productive quarter of the series - 15/3/5 on 7-10

3ball
07-04-2019, 08:43 PM
so a mediocre ball handler that doesnt pass that good didnt hold the ball long wow shocking news at 8 :oldlol:
He averaged 11.2 apg for the series

It takes Lebron 12 minutes to get 9 assists, so let's see how many it takes MJ to get 11 assists

stalkerforlife
07-04-2019, 08:44 PM
Another one.

3ball
07-04-2019, 11:17 PM
GAME 1:. 6 minutes, 1 second

That's a higher number than I thought it would be, but still a much lower number than any player today that got 12 assists.. i.e Lebron needed 11-12 minutes to get 9-10 apg in the 15' and 18' Finals.. And i imagine that MJ's number goes down as the series goes on and the bulls take control.

Btw, the announcers say repeatedly that MJ is the Bulls' best defender, so he was assigned to Magic.. "you gotta put somebody good on Magic to stop him!" (referring (https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_HWYaHW7fQI&t=01h58m49s) to Jordan)

Also, Worthy was hobbled but still killing it, while Byron Scott was not hurt in this series until the last game - he was 100% healthy until then... the announcers kept saying he had a great playoffs (16 on 53% until the Finals), but he had his hands full guarding Jordan, which made him disappear on offense

Finally, Vlade and Perkins absolutely murdered the Bulls' frontline.. they were Siakam-level players and Worthy was all-pro... Lakers were stacked

ScalsFan21
07-05-2019, 01:15 AM
You know... there are a few reasons this stat is not the be-all and end-all stat you make it out to be, but I would love to know how much the ToP gaps shrink between these two guys if you exclusively looked at the ToP when within 35 feet of their respective hoops, or something more reflective of their respective offensive games.

Dribbling it up the court is bar none the least costly time to dominate the ball (I say that as someone sympathetic to the argument that ball movement is crucial), and I'm willing to bet that alone represents at least 45-60 seconds of Jordan's "edge" on average. Not the whole thing, but a good chunk.

GimmeThat
07-05-2019, 01:28 AM
more interested in his +/- while not on the floor

3ball
07-05-2019, 01:44 AM
You know... there are a few reasons this stat is not the be-all and end-all stat you make it out to be, but I would love to know how much the ToP gaps shrink between these two guys if you exclusively looked at the ToP when within 35 feet of their respective hoops, or something more reflective of their respective offensive games.

Dribbling it up the court is bar none the least costly time to dominate the ball (I say that as someone sympathetic to the argument that ball movement is crucial), and I'm willing to bet that alone represents at least 45-60 seconds of Jordan's "edge" on average. Not the whole thing, but a good chunk.
MJ plays nothing like lebron... I don't think he ran a single PNR

And there were stretches where he brought the ball up, but then he'd pass right away when he crossed halfcourt - that's how PG's played back then, let alone a SG like Jordan..

he didn't dribble a ton and call for a screen like today's players, and then make the play everytime.. Instead, he worked really hard moving off-ball just TO GET the ball - then it was a quick explosion once he caught it - a quick move upon the catch, often a pass for assist

Lebron can't play like that, infact, almost no one can except the very best like bird

And it's remarkable how little people know about mj's game - for example, he had a HUGE redick/reggie miller catch-and-shoot game.. he'd get 8-10 points or more every game on catch-and-shoot - like, the defense had to worry about EVERYTHING, all the time with MJ.. that's why he had four #1 offenses with no 3rd option and an often weak-scoring, non-shooting 2nd option

ScalsFan21
07-05-2019, 01:56 AM
^ More of a Rip Hamilton on steroids catch-and-shoot game. :lol Let's be real, saying Miller/Redick implies he was effective on 3 pointers too, and as we all know, his only passable 3P% seasons were conveniently when they pulled the arc in.

LostCause
07-05-2019, 02:27 AM
and as we all know, his only passable 3P% seasons were conveniently when they pulled the arc in.

He was pretty good from 90-93 as well, especially when in the playoffs during that 4-year span
34% on 2 attempts in the season
37% on 3 attempts in the playoffs

3ball
07-05-2019, 10:03 AM
^ More of a Rip Hamilton on steroids catch-and-shoot game. :

Rip Hamilton on steroids is devastating just by itself, let alone combined with a goat-level rim attack and post game

lol Let's be real, saying Miller/Redick implies he was effective on 3 pointers too, and as we all know, his only passable 3P% seasons were conveniently when they pulled the arc in.

MJ was good at threes anytime it mattered - 35.2% on 2.2 attempts in 85-93' playoffs... 39% on 3.8 attempts in 91-93' playoffs... 43% on 3.3 attempts in 91-93' Finals.

MJ was also good at threes anytime he tried - he attempted less than 1.5 threes every year except 90' and 93', when he had 3+ attempts at 38% and 35%, respectively.

TheMan
07-05-2019, 12:11 PM
Idiot post of the year everyone :oldlol:

Keep your moronic hot takes coming, they're at least good for a chuckle :lol

SpaceJam2
07-05-2019, 03:49 PM

High IQ post

Close this one UP :lol