PDA

View Full Version : Why can't Zion be the next Barkley?

StrongLurk
07-05-2019, 11:55 PM
Honestly, that is who Zion reminds me off. A potentially bigger Charles Barkley.

If Zion wanted it, he could put up 15/10 on 55% shooting this year just through sheer motor and effort alone killing the boards and rolling to the basket.

3ball
07-05-2019, 11:58 PM
Honestly, that is who Zion reminds me off. A potentially bigger Charles Barkley.

If Zion wanted it, he could put up 15/10 on 55% shooting this year just through sheer motor and effort alone killing the boards and rolling to the basket.
Sounds like he sucks

DoctorP
07-05-2019, 11:59 PM

yea his motor seems similar , and his hops are ridiculous.

3ball
07-06-2019, 12:11 AM
yea his motor seems similar , and his hops are ridiculous.
But no touch around the rim or anywhere on the court

Barkley had incredible touch around the rim.. Derrick Coleman had incredible touch around the rim.. Webber.. Malone, etc.. great scorers

I think Zion might be a better Gary Trent or Darvin Ham

DoctorP
07-06-2019, 12:12 AM
But no touch around the rim or anywhere on the court

Barkley had incredible touch around the rim.. Derrick Coleman had incredible touch around the rim.. Webber.. Malone, etc.. great scorers

I think Zion might be a better Gary Trent or Darvin Ham

when did barkley get into the NBA? how old?

Boogaboog
07-06-2019, 12:19 AM
Why invoke Barkley? Zion has accomplished less than Gordon Hayward.

3ball
07-06-2019, 12:20 AM
when did barkley get into the NBA? how old?
Zion has small hands and grew up playing 3 and D spacing, so he wasn't forced to consistently finish highly-contested shots around the rim and therefore never had to develop touch

Go check out some high school highlights of Webber, Coleman, and Barkley if it's available (the vid "Sir Charles" has a few).... The highlights look uglier and less clean, due to no spacing - tough, ugly shots inside - Webber and Barkley had to develop great touch and "soft" hands because they had to learn how to finish amongst the trees with no shooters to space the floor

Otoh, look at Zion's high school and college highlights - it's all dunks and open looks, transition, or spacing-assisted forays to the rim where defenders are late (not waiting like previous eras).. no need to develop any touch in these scenarios.. so that's what you see - a guy that isn't a great scorer.

Round Mound
07-06-2019, 03:12 AM
He is similar athletically but i don't think he will develop the post game or versatility inside the 3-pointline Sir Charles had.

RoseCity07
07-06-2019, 03:14 AM
He's fat. Doesn't jump when he shoots. Gonna get abused in the pick and role because he's 6-7 but thinks he's a big.

He's just not going to be as good as the media said he will be.

Smoke117
07-06-2019, 03:26 AM
Because he's not close to as talented as a basketball player as Barkley was.