PDA

View Full Version : Timberwolves Fans

DMAVS41
07-07-2019, 12:39 PM
What do you think about the following trade?

Wolves get - Tim Hardaway Jr./Courtney Lee's Expiring Contract

Mavs get - Wiggins/Dieng/Covington/Future Top 1 Protected Pick

So the Wolves get off the Wiggins/Dieng contracts and the cost is essentially Covington and a pick....and only have to take on 1 extra year of Hardaway...and he has a player option that might not be picked up depending on how he plays this year and the market.

So they'll essentially clear the books after this year and move forward around Towns with Culver/Tyus/Oko

Mavs get the 3/D guy they badly need and get a draft asset they badly need after trading away so many picks. The cost is big, but Dieng could be used in trades next summer as an expiring...and perhaps Rick can get the most out of Wiggins.

Given the Mavs can't land 3rd tier players in free agency...the cap space is meaningless going forward...especially as Luka's due to get paid in a couple years anyway.

So, Wolves fans, how low are you on Wiggins? Would you give up potentially a high first round pick to wipe the slate clean and start fresh around Towns and the young guys?

BallsOut
07-07-2019, 12:48 PM
Lol at TWolves having to give up a top 1 protected pick AND Convington to get rid of Wiggins who himself was a former #1 pick :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Mavs make out like bandits.

Xiao Yao You
07-07-2019, 12:51 PM
Lol at TWolves having to give up a top 1 protected pick AND Convington to get rid of Wiggins who himself was a former #1 pick :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Mavs have to take on Wiggins and Dieng though. Makes some sense for both sides

DMAVS41
07-07-2019, 12:52 PM

The Mavs would also take on Dieng's contract.

The Warriors had to pay a first round pick for a team to take on 1 year of Iggy. So Dieng's contract with 2 years left would cost more than that to dump.

I don't care much about "former number 1 pick"...Wiggins has been a bad player his entire career and he's on a terrible contract for 4 years. He, quite easily, has negative trade value.

I'm not saying the deal is perfect or would ever be agreed to, but you need to educate yourself on Wiggins. If the Wolves could just cut him and remove him from the team without paying him...they would for sure.

The West is loaded and the Wolves aren't contending for shit with Wiggins taking up 30 million a year over the next 4 years. They have Towns locked up for the next 5. Kind of a good team to hit the reset button imo.

DMAVS41
07-07-2019, 12:53 PM
Mavs have to take on Wiggins and Dieng though. Makes some sense for both sides

How do people not understand that Wiggins has negative trade value, quite a bit actually, with a 4 year / 120 million dollar deal?

FireDavidKahn
07-07-2019, 12:55 PM
Horrible. No point in straight up dumping salary, while giving up good assets in RoCo and a first, if we aren't going to do anything with the cap space.

At this point it makes more sense to just hold onto Dieng and Wiggins for another year so their contracts will at least be more palatable.

ArbitraryWater
07-07-2019, 12:57 PM
How do people not understand that Wiggins has negative trade value, quite a bit actually, with a 4 year / 120 million dollar deal?

its BallsOut, nobody who knows him in real life would describe him as particularly smart person

DMAVS41
07-07-2019, 12:58 PM
Horrible. No point in straight up dumping salary, while giving up good assets in RoCo and a first, if we aren't going to do anything with the cap space.

At this point it makes more sense to just hold onto Dieng and Wiggins for another year so their contracts will at least be more palatable.

Interesting.

I wonder if they should trade Towns.

I fear Minny is pretty much screwed for the life of the Wiggins contract.

BallsOut
07-07-2019, 12:58 PM
its BallsOut, nobody who knows him in real life would describe him as particularly smart person

What it do babyyyyyy :lol

How you coping with that Kawhi news?

Xiao Yao You
07-07-2019, 12:59 PM
Interesting.

I wonder if they should trade Towns.

I fear Minny is pretty much screwed for the life of the Wiggins contract.

I'd certainly listen to offers for Towns. I like his game but he's yet to show he can carry a team

DMAVS41
07-07-2019, 01:02 PM
I'd certainly listen to offers for Towns. I like his game but he's yet to show he can carry a team

I'm sure they are.

Would be a shame to trade someone that good, but he's probably going to demand a trade soon anyway...which will hurt leverage.

That is why I thought getting out of the Wiggins/Dieng contract to reset the team made sense if the price to pay is relatively small. Maybe a team would be willing to protect the pick a bit more.

Covington (a guy that doesn't have a long-term future on the team) and like the 6th pick in the draft isn't a big price to pay imo.

But I think Wiggins is next to worthless...so perhaps I'm too low on him.

Like...would the Wolves really turn down another team if they said...hey, we will give you an expiring contract and we'll take on Wiggins if you send us a future top 3 protected pick. I don't know...I find that hard to believe. 4/130 and he's shown no signs of getting better...in fact, he's gotten worse.

Charlie Sheen
07-08-2019, 12:07 PM
Why doesn't Covington have a future with the team? They have him under contract until 21-22?

DMAVS41
07-08-2019, 12:10 PM
Why doesn't Covington have a future with the team? They have him under contract until 21-22?

I mean beyond that.

If they keep Wiggins and don't move him...it is my opinion that the next 3 years are essentially lost.

So I'd rather not waste Covington's best years on a team that isn't going anywhere...I'd rather trade him to either get off bad money or get young players that fit the timeline better.

Covington on his current deal is super valuable. Why not cash that in for something when, in current form, the team is drawing dead to win a playoff series for probably the next 2 years at least....likely longer.

Similar to what the Wolves did with Saric...they didn't want him long-term because he was going to get paid and they realized they are going to be on the outside looking in yet again this season. It was a smart move imo...build for the future.

I just fear this team is another letdown of a season, perhaps two, from Towns wanting out. If they move Wiggins and create long-term roster flexibility...it is a much easier sell to Towns than saying "hey, wait until Wiggins is an expiring contract and we'll move him then"...

I mean, I want the Wolves to keep Towns and be good...I really do. But this is a franchise that drafted KG/Love/Towns...and unless I'm forgetting something...they have 2 playoff series wins in that time. That honestly is one of the most pathetic things in NBA history when you take the time to think about it.

Marchesk
07-08-2019, 12:16 PM
So I'd rather not waste Covington's best years on a team that isn't going anywhere...I'd rather trade him to either get off bad money or get young players that fit the timeline better.

At what point does KAT look around at what's being going on and demand out?

DMAVS41
07-08-2019, 12:18 PM
At what point does KAT look around at what's being going on and demand out?

Yep, that is exactly my point.

I just wrote this above;

I mean, I want the Wolves to keep Towns and be good...I really do. But this is a franchise that drafted KG/Love/Towns...and unless I'm forgetting something...they have 2 playoff series wins in that time. That honestly is one of the most pathetic things in NBA history when you take the time to think about it.

Charlie Sheen
07-08-2019, 12:29 PM
I mean beyond that.

If they keep Wiggins and don't move him...it is my opinion that the next 3 years are essentially lost.

Covington on his current deal is super valuable. Why not cash that in for something when, in current form, the team is drawing dead to win a playoff series for probably the next 2 years at least....likely longer.

Similar to what the Wolves did with Saric...they didn't want him long-term because he was going to get paid and they realized they are going to be on the outside looking in yet again this season. It was a smart move imo...build for the future.

I just fear this team is another letdown of a season, perhaps two, from Towns wanting out. If they move Wiggins and create long-term roster flexibility...it is a much easier sell to Towns than saying "hey, wait until Wiggins is an expiring contract and we'll move him then"...

Saric was a good player, but he wasn't the difference maker Covington was before going down.

I believe the better route is to let Wiggins contract mature instead of throwing good money ( draft picks, Covington ) after bad (dumping Wiggins contract). Battling for one of the last playoff spots in KAT's age 24 season aint the worst thing in the world. You have to believe the organization has banked some good will with him anyway after cleaning house of Butler and Thibs.

DMAVS41
07-08-2019, 12:33 PM
Saric was a good player, but he wasn't the difference maker Covington was before going down.

I believe the better route is to let Wiggins contract mature instead of throwing good money ( draft picks, Covington ) after bad (dumping Wiggins contract). Battling for one of the last playoff spots in KAT's age 24 season aint the worst thing in the world. You have to believe the organization has banked some good will with him anyway after cleaning house of Butler and Thibs.

Cov is definitely better and more valuable...no doubt.

And your plan makes sense...it is a good one. My fear, again, is that 2 years in and Towns says "**** this franchise...I'm out"...given the horrible history of the Wolves...I can't say that is unlikely. Not sure about goodwill for a franchise that couldn't do anything with KG...then nothing with Love...now nothing with Towns. Again, unless I'm forgetting something...they've won 2 playoff series in that time. It is almost impossible to be that bad.

I'd still say though...Covington is super valuable. Battling for the 8th seed isn't a good enough return to lose out on the future assets you'd get for him and help your own draft position in the process.