PDA

View Full Version : How good will Dallas be next year?

lilteapot
07-08-2019, 12:20 PM
Assuming KP plays 66+ games, that pairing with Doncic could be problematic for opposing teams.

The only issue is the rest of the team is either full of bums or decent players (powell, finney smith, Curry, hardaway jr)

Are they a sleeper team?

DMAVS41
07-08-2019, 12:22 PM
Delon Wright was a sneaky good signing. He'll fit in great.

If you assume health...they could win something around 45 games I think.

A lot would depend on how good KP is coming back...and if players like Powell/Maxi/DFS/Brunson grow.

I'm not really a fan of Powell on this team...and we just signed him to a 3 year extension...so he's under contract for the next 4. If he doesn't improve...that is a mistake that will hurt. Powell is actually a pretty good player, but the fit just isn't ideal in Dallas. He's great at some things needed in Rick's system like rim running, but his lack of range shooting and his lack of fit with what should be the 5 man closing unit makes him less valuable on this team than he'd be on others imo.

If they could somehow turn Lee/Hardaway into something useful....team could be 55 wins imo.

The Mavs desperately need a Covington or Tucker type player that can play elite defense and bomb 3's.

If this team, for example, somehow added Covington...honestly sky would be the limit.

Ghost1
07-08-2019, 12:27 PM
Steven Adams for Lee and Powell.

DMAVS41
07-08-2019, 12:30 PM
Steven Adams for Lee and Powell.

I'd probably only do that as the Mavs if we were also getting Dragic as a dumping ground as part of a Russ to Heat trade.

GreatHILL
07-08-2019, 12:33 PM
lottery.

dirkdiggler41
07-08-2019, 12:40 PM
I don't see the playoffs happening unless Luka Doncic and Rick Carlisle are able to make some magic on offense.

Starting lineup(?)
Dwight Powell - Small center that set picks and roll to the basket. Does not rebound well or shoot well. Is too small to guard big centers like Jokic.
KP - You know him. He needs to be healthy for the Mavs to get a chance to make it to the playoffs.
Donic - Will most likely have the ball a lot in his hands this season. Everything will be evolved around him and players setting screens, moving and him finding them.
Delon Wright - Great all-around player. Good defender, good ballhandler, but not a great shooter, but can make the corner 3.
Seth Curry / Jalen Brunson - I'm not sure who is starting between those two guys. Curry is a great shooter and gives us spacing, something we need with Doncic playing a ton of pick and roll/pop with our big guys. At the same time, Jalen Brunson is an excellent pointguard. I would love to see him do his thing as a 6th man with Doncic on the bench.

6th man - Tim Hardaway Jr. - Horrible shot selection, but I see him getting the green light as a 6th man. Could be very fun to watch and could get his value up. I could see Donnie, the GM, trying to package him with something useful in a trade.

Maxi Kleber - Good defender, makes 3 pointers, plays hard. Just an overall good player that nobody has ever heard of.

Ghost1
07-08-2019, 12:48 PM
Delon Wright
Luka Doncic
Justin Jackson
Kristaps Porzingis
Maxi Kleber

r0drig0lac
07-08-2019, 12:48 PM
they still need to acquire Dragic and Gallo to become legitimate

DMAVS41
07-08-2019, 12:53 PM
they still need to acquire Dragic and Gallo to become legitimate

Gallo only works if someone wants Powell...and I can't imagine the Thunder taking on 4 years of Powell in the Russ trade unless they also got off Adams....and they'd probably just rather take Hardaway because he might only have 1 year.

DMAVS41
07-08-2019, 01:12 PM
The best news for the Mavericks is that we didn't sign a terrible contract like we are prone to this summer.

The worst thing we did was extend Powell...and even that will be a contract that could be moved pretty easily I think with the cap continuing to jump.

Hopefully we can turn Lee's expiring into something.

And, more importantly, hopefully Rick can get Hardaway to play his optimal role and or turn him into something.

I'd also like to get in on a potential Russ trade as a dumping ground. Taking on Adams while getting a pick would be great.

RealSkipBayless
07-08-2019, 01:46 PM
Bloodbath for the last 2 playoff spots between Spurs, Mavericks, Kings, Warriors, and Suns (according to highwhey) :eek:

Ghost1
07-08-2019, 03:06 PM
Rick loves that nikka

https://i.postimg.cc/wBtDndy1/Capture.jpg

baudkarma
07-08-2019, 03:18 PM
They'll be better, obviously. Probably nab one of the last couple of playoff spots, but a first round exit unless they get a favorable matchup.

Porzingis will have a year of rust to knock off, and he and Luka need to learn to play together. That doesn't happen overnight. The Mavs will gel late in the season and make a playoff push.

DMAVS41
07-08-2019, 03:20 PM
They'll be better, obviously. Probably nab one of the last couple of playoff spots, but a first round exit unless they get a favorable matchup.

Porzingis will have a year of rust to knock off, and he and Luka need to learn to play together. That doesn't happen overnight. The Mavs will gel late in the season and make a playoff push.

Which team isn't making the playoffs?

1. Clippers
2. Lakers
3. Rockets
4. Jazz
5. Warriors
6. Blazers
7. Spurs
8. Nuggets

We'd have to get involved in some Russ trade as a dump team for Dragic or Adams to make a real push in my opinion unless there are major issues with some combination of the teams above...and that is without accounting for the Kings and or Pels or Wolves making a run as well.

The West is insane currently...

RealSkipBayless
07-08-2019, 03:22 PM
Which team isn't making the playoffs?

1. Clippers
2. Lakers
3. Rockets
4. Jazz
5. Warriors
6. Blazers
7. Spurs
8. Nuggets
Warriors (per Bobby Marks) or Spurs

DMAVS41
07-08-2019, 03:26 PM
Warriors (per Bobby Marks) or Spurs

Anything is possible, but in no way should the Mavs be favored to make the playoffs over the Warriors...they are likely a lock unless they face injuries.

Spurs? I don't know...they are healthy going into the season and should be better.

They won 48 last year.

Mavs could easily finish outside the top 10 again.

305Baller
07-08-2019, 03:37 PM
depends on Porzingis