PDA

View Full Version : RJ Barret is more likely to be a bust than a star

90sgoat
07-10-2019, 09:46 PM
That's all I'm going to say based on his summer league highlights.

This guy has D-Lo like symptoms, looks slow as molasses out there, looks like there's glue on his shoes.

Has a very subpar handle. Will not be able to handle the ball at all in the real NBA. Combined with his slowness, that will make it difficult to score even on fastbreaks.

Jumpshot has a slow release and unorthodox style.

Not gonna lie, I think there's a significant risk this guy could be a serious bust. Ben McLemore level bust.

I really strugle to see his position in the game. Maybe he could be a good defender if he applied himself. Looks like he has decent passing.

A poor man's Evan Turner is probably the best he can hope for.

LoneyROY7
07-10-2019, 09:56 PM
He does look slow af out there.

It's particularly strange to me, b/c watching his HS highlights, he appeared to be significantly more explosive than he looked at Duke and then now in summer league.

If he continues like this, he's gonna struggle mightily getting past his initial defender at the NBA level.

90sgoat
07-10-2019, 09:59 PM

It's particularly strange to me, b/c watching his HS highlights, he appeared to be significantly more explosive than he looked at Duke and then now in summer league.

If he continues like this, he's gonna struggle mightily getting past his initial defender at the NBA level.

He only handles the ball because he is a high draft pick. You'd never give someone like him the ball otherwise. I don't I've seen a worse ball handler in a long time.

brooks_thompson
07-10-2019, 10:05 PM
That's all I'm going to say based on his summer league highlights.

This guy has D-Lo like symptoms, looks slow as molasses out there, looks like there's glue on his shoes.

Has a very subpar handle. Will not be able to handle the ball at all in the real NBA. Combined with his slowness, that will make it difficult to score even on fastbreaks.

Jumpshot has a slow release and unorthodox style.

Not gonna lie, I think there's a significant risk this guy could be a serious bust. Ben McLemore level bust.

I really strugle to see his position in the game. Maybe he could be a good defender if he applied himself. Looks like he has decent passing.

A poor man's Evan Turner is probably the best he can hope for.

I'm still surprised Evan Turner didn't amount to more than he has. He was a killer in college. This has nothing to do with your main point, but my excuse is this is ISH--who cares

fsvr54
07-10-2019, 10:08 PM

The athletes get exponentially better at every level.

I could destroy most high school kids.

stalkerforlife
07-10-2019, 10:09 PM
He may have too much f uck it in him to bust completely.

He'll take any shot at anytime.

He desperately wants to be a star.

90sgoat
07-10-2019, 10:13 PM
I'm still surprised Evan Turner didn't amount to more than he has. He was a killer in college. This has nothing to do with your main point, but my excuse is this is ISH--who cares

Evan Turner, didn't watch him in college. In NBA, looked slow, no handle, questionable shot.

Same as RJ, didn't watch him in college, just seeing what I see.

They are both strong and have vision, but slow and questionable shot. Will be able to be "situation" players. I see RJ as being the player you put in, when the opposing team has two small guards. He can bully his way into the paint. Shut down the smaller guard as well perhaps. So that's his limit. A 6th or 7th man off the bench, defense and post guard scoring.

brooks_thompson
07-10-2019, 10:13 PM
I haven't seen this guy play really. I watched one Duke game to see Zion and didn't really pay attention. Is there a close NBA comparison for him (best case/worst case)?

90sgoat
07-10-2019, 10:16 PM
I haven't seen this guy play really. I watched one Duke game to see Zion and didn't really pay attention. Is there a close NBA comparison for him (best case/worst case)?

I don't know.

There's no player in the NBA who would ever be allowed to handle the ball like RJ did in summer league, when he is that awful at it. Sort of reminds me if Dan Majerle would dribble the ball up the court.

Danny Green maybe?

But worse.

And we don't even know if he can shoot or defend.

brooks_thompson
07-10-2019, 10:17 PM
Evan Turner, didn't watch him in college. In NBA, looked slow, no handle, questionable shot.

Same as RJ, didn't watch him in college, just seeing what I see.

They are both strong and have vision, but slow and questionable shot. Will be able to be "situation" players. I see RJ as being the player you put in, when the opposing team has two small guards. He can bully his way into the paint. Shut down the smaller guard as well perhaps. So that's his limit. A 6th or 7th man off the bench, defense and post guard scoring.

Yeah, I guess I didn't account for ET's relative lack of speed and athleticism at the time. But he was still a legitimate lead ball handler in college with a killer mid-range pull up game and a good feel for the game. Obviously, hardly anybody cares about that mid-range junk anymore so that really explains it. He never could shoot from distance. But I thought he'd be a quality starter/glue guy.

brooks_thompson
07-10-2019, 10:20 PM
I don't know.

There's no player in the NBA who would ever be allowed to handle the ball like RJ did in summer league, when he is that awful at it. Sort of reminds me if Dan Majerle would dribble the ball up the court.

Danny Green maybe?

But worse.

And we don't even know if he can shoot or defend.

The thing I hate most for the Knicks' sake is Fizdale has shown zero capacity to be a good coach in any aspect, especially development. Knicks fans seem to love him for no reason.

Draz
07-10-2019, 10:34 PM
Well first time in a long time knicks fans have appreciated their coach. The team is young. RJ is playing pretty good against Toronto and right now against the Lakers.

Biggest improvement is Knox

brooks_thompson
07-10-2019, 10:40 PM
Well first time in a long time knicks fans have appreciated their coach. The team is young. RJ is playing pretty good against Toronto and right now against the Lakers.

Biggest improvement is Knox

Knox's face looks like excess clay

iamgine
07-10-2019, 10:47 PM
NBA Comparison: Khris Middleton/Danny Granger

GimmeThat
07-10-2019, 11:01 PM
rookie who isn't an elite shooter adjusting to the NBA 3-point line. Dante Exum is really Iggy who has molded his game into a PG in the past championship runs.

And Barret's game most likely represents that of CJ McCollum

PP34Deuce
07-11-2019, 09:06 AM
Wow a 19 year old guy isnt polished..

Rj will be fine. He rebounds and hes aggressive. The shot will come. As far as looking slow...I see a guy adjusting more than not being athletic enough.

RJ will be an all star

90sgoat
07-11-2019, 09:21 AM
Wow a 19 year old guy isnt polished..

Rj will be fine. He rebounds and hes aggressive. The shot will come. As far as looking slow...I see a guy adjusting more than not being athletic enough.

RJ will be an all star

How about his atrocious handle?

Bronbron23
07-11-2019, 09:25 AM
He is slow and stiff but so is the best player in the world right now so it's not always about speed and agility. I could see him being a borderline all star at best. He does everything good or ok but he isn't really great at anything.

Real Men Wear Green
07-11-2019, 09:41 AM
This guy has D-Lo like symptoms.But D-Lo is an All-Star...

superduper
07-11-2019, 09:51 AM
The athletes get exponentially better at every level.

I could destroy most high school kids.

How old are you

superduper
07-11-2019, 09:54 AM
NBA Comparison: Khris Middleton/Danny Granger

What? Isn't he more of a strength slasher ala Harden as opposed to a shooter?

90sgoat
07-11-2019, 10:20 AM
What? Isn't he more of a strength slasher ala Harden as opposed to a shooter?

Definitely no shooter.

He plays bully ball at the 2 guard position, which I don't think is a legit strategy in the current NBA.

superduper
07-11-2019, 10:24 AM
Definitely no shooter.

He plays bully ball at the 2 guard position, which I don't think is a legit strategy in the current NBA.

He's like a Harden in that his best offensive move is to use his strength to get to the rim. I think he'll get better. D'Lo was getting shit on early in his rookie season but he has refined his offensive game and has lost the "slow brickfoot" label.

Difference is RJ seems to be a better leader. Just small example of Zion doubting himself to break the vert record and RJ pumping him the fk up and telling him to go get that easy shit. That's what sets players apart. He also has a passion that players like Wiggins don't have.

I think he'll be fine.

bobopenguin
07-11-2019, 11:13 AM
i think he will end up like chris dunn? just an average starter..?

christian1923
07-11-2019, 11:23 AM
The things I've liked from RJ so far:
His size stands out. He is a massive guard.

Post entry passing. He's been great at getting the ball into Mitch in the post.

His ability to get to the line should be a big part of his game.

Love seeing him finish with his right hand, that in and out with the off hand into that right hand layup was sweet. His game has looked so much better since he started using the right.

His shot looks way better when he's spot shooting. I think he can be effective from 3 if we're getting him open shots.

Throws great alley oops in transition.

Things I don't like:
His Trainer Drew Hanlen. These IG trainers are con artist.

Shooting off the dribble, yikes, he ain't got that yet.

Needs to move more when the ball isn't in his hands.

His handle needs some more work if he wants to be a primary ball handler.

He can't go into hero mode like he did in game 1. He looked like such a jackass that first game.

He needs to finesse a little bit more going to the cup, as a rookie he's gotta earn them foul calls, he's not just gonna get every call like James Harden yet.

I feel like this is really all up to the Knicks coaching/development which is scary. We gotta make him earn everything and make sure he plays within whatever system it is that we run.

PP34Deuce
07-11-2019, 11:24 AM
RJ plays hard. a SG in summer league grabbing 9-10 rebounds to me means he stays active.

Defensively he's going to be solid. He has an NBA body now and will get better.

He's confident and has leadership qualities. The fact he can shoot badly and bounce back with the same mentality is good. People have to think he hasn't played competitive hungry ball in 3 months. Working out by yourself is different than organized games.

He will be fine. He's not a PG and will never be. He's the true definition of a swingman. He's a SG with SF qualities.

PP34Deuce
07-11-2019, 11:26 AM
The things I've liked from RJ so far:
His size stands out. He is a massive guard.

Post entry passing. He's been great at getting the ball into Mitch in the post.

His ability to get to the line should be a big part of his game.

Love seeing him finish with his right hand, that in and out with the off hand into that right hand layup was sweet. His game has looked so much better since he started using the right.

His shot looks way better when he's spot shooting. I think he can be effective from 3 if we're getting him open shots.

Throws great alley oops in transition.

Things I don't like:
His Trainer Drew Hanlen. These IG trainers are con artist.

Shooting off the dribble, yikes, he ain't got that yet.

Needs to move more when the ball isn't in his hands.

His handle needs some more work if he wants to be a primary ball handler.

He can't go into hero mode like he did in game 1. He looked like such a jackass that first game.

He needs to finesse a little bit more going to the cup, as a rookie he's gotta earn them foul calls, he's not just gonna get every call like James Harden yet.

I feel like this is really all up to the Knicks coaching/development which is scary. We gotta make him earn everything and make sure he plays within whatever system it is that we run.

He's perfect for the Knicks. He loves ball. He's mentally strong and he doesn't get rattled nearly as much. I actually think he's going to have a good rookie year.

christian1923
07-11-2019, 11:32 AM
He's perfect for the Knicks. He loves ball. He's mentally strong and he doesn't get rattled nearly as much. I actually think he's going to have a good rookie year.

I worry about the roster around him, DSJ, Trier, Knox, Randle, Barrett. All want to be scorers with the ball in their hands. I hope they can play like a cohesive team. Fizdale has a lot of work ahead of him.

tpols
07-11-2019, 11:47 AM

Best case - Paul pierce

Worst - Shaun livingston

LoneyROY7
07-11-2019, 12:24 PM
He's like a Harden in that his best offensive move is to use his strength to get to the rim. I think he'll get better. D'Lo was getting shit on early in his rookie season but he has refined his offensive game and has lost the "slow brickfoot" label.

Difference is RJ seems to be a better leader. Just small example of Zion doubting himself to break the vert record and RJ pumping him the fk up and telling him to go get that easy shit. That's what sets players apart. He also has a passion that players like Wiggins don't have.

I think he'll be fine.

WTF are you talking about? Harden uses his quickness/elite first-step, handles, and strength to get to the rim. RJ is missing the first two.

superduper
07-11-2019, 12:30 PM
WTF are you talking about? Harden uses his quickness/elite first-step, handles, and strength to get to the rim. RJ is missing the first two.

And a perfect example of his quickness/elite first-step, handles, and strength can be seen below:

https://i.makeagif.com/media/12-15-2018/7rkDFz.gif

What an ELITE combination of skills :eek:

RJ DEFINITELY cannot make that advanced dribble drive move.

LoneyROY7
07-11-2019, 12:36 PM
And a perfect example of his quickness/elite first-step, handles, and strength can be seen below:

https://i.makeagif.com/media/12-15-2018/7rkDFz.gif

What an ELITE combination of skills :eek:

RJ DEFINITELY cannot make that advanced dribble drive move.

Damn, you get more retarded with every post. :oldlol: :oldlol:

Yes, Harden using a hesitation dribble to blow past his defender does illustrate exactly what I said.

Stick to your cringey trolling and posting factual incorrect Laker rosters, bud.

LoneyROY7
07-11-2019, 12:43 PM
https://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/zdqx4erjakdq01sb6vuy.gif

This is what an elite first-step looks like.

superduper
07-11-2019, 12:46 PM
https://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/zdqx4erjakdq01sb6vuy.gif

This is what an elite first-step looks like.

So you're showing me 10th season prime MVP James Harden play to compare it to a 19 year old that hasn't played a single NBA game yet :facepalm

If you wanted to be less embarrassing you should've seeked out a rookie Harden highlight or a Summer League highlight before his first season.

Good try though champ

sammichoffate
07-11-2019, 12:46 PM
Brb looking up Trae Young Summer League Highlights as a Career Prediction

LoneyROY7
07-11-2019, 12:50 PM
So you're showing me 10th season prime MVP James Harden play to compare it to a 19 year old that hasn't played a single NBA game yet :facepalm

If you wanted to be less embarrassing you should've seeked out a rookie Harden highlight or a Summer League highlight before his first season.

Good try though champ

You're the one who compared them. :oldlol: :oldlol:

And then you said Harden only uses strength to get the rim, which is BLATANTLY false, considering the bulk of Harden's blow-by ability comes from his top tier first step and handles.

superduper
07-11-2019, 12:51 PM
You're the one who compared them. :oldlol: :oldlol:

And then you said Harden only uses strength to get the rim, which is BLATANTLY false, considering the bulk of Harden's blow-by ability comes from his top tier first step and handles.

When did I say he ONLY uses strength :facepalm

You're picking straws that aren't even there.

LoneyROY7
07-11-2019, 12:53 PM
When did I say he ONLY uses strength :facepalm

You're picking straws that aren't even there.

You said his best offensive move is using strength to get to rim. Not even remotely true. :oldlol: :oldlol:

PP34Deuce
07-11-2019, 01:18 PM
Harden coming in the league wasn't as explosive as he is now.

Harden gets to the basket similar to Paul Pierce (prime), he pivots, herks, jerks, and has a dangerous enough pull up jumper that it keeps the defender guessing.

LoneyROY7
07-11-2019, 01:20 PM
Harden coming in the league wasn't as explosive as he is now.

Harden gets to the basket similar to Paul Pierce (prime), he pivots, herks, jerks, and has a dangerous enough pull up jumper that it keeps the defender guessing.

:facepalm :facepalm :facepalm

Paul Pierce never had half the quickness of Harden.

FireDavidKahn
07-11-2019, 01:26 PM
He only handles the ball because he is a high draft pick. You'd never give someone like him the ball otherwise. I don't I've seen a worse ball handler in a long time.
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/0/04/Wiggins10-20190120.jpg/220px-Wiggins10-20190120.jpg

Barrett will either be ROY or runner up though as he will get the green light to shoot as much as he wants...the Wiggins strategy.

Not a fan of Barrett.

LoneyROY7
07-11-2019, 01:28 PM
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/0/04/Wiggins10-20190120.jpg/220px-Wiggins10-20190120.jpg

Barrett will either be ROY or runner up though as he will get the green light to shoot as much as he wants...the Wiggins strategy.

Not a fan of Barrett.

Problem with the Wiggins comp is Andrew is actually significantly more athletic than RJ. Wiggs just never figured out how to utilize it effectively.

raprap
07-11-2019, 01:29 PM
He

PP34Deuce
07-11-2019, 01:44 PM
:facepalm :facepalm :facepalm

Paul Pierce never had half the quickness of Harden.

Going to the basket Paul Pierce had great strength footwork and decent quickness. You're acting like Harden is an elite NBA athlete (compared to the Westbrooks, Lebron's, Paul George's of the world)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHj3nkU077I

PP34Deuce
07-11-2019, 01:46 PM

Not a fan of Barrett.

It's crazy how much people criticize a just turned 19 year old player.

LoneyROY7
07-11-2019, 01:47 PM
Going to the basket Paul Pierce had great strength footwork and decent quickness. You're acting like Harden is an elite NBA athlete (compared to the Westbrooks, Lebron's, Paul George's of the world)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHj3nkU077I

Yes, I'm acting like Harden has elite quickness. Because he does.

PP34Deuce
07-11-2019, 01:51 PM
Yes, I'm acting like Harden has elite quickness. Because he does.

Agree to disagree. Harden gets you off balance and is strong.

Elite quickness at SG is Wade, Kobe, Tmac, young Ray Allen. Those guys truly could just blow by you standstill.

James just like PP and other big guards uses strength and hesitations to get you off guard.

LoneyROY7
07-11-2019, 01:54 PM

Elite quickness at SG is Wade, Kobe, Tmac, young Ray Allen. Those guys truly could just blow by you standstill.

James just like PP and other big guards uses strength and hesitations to get you off guard.

Yeah, I'm sorry this is just wrong. I literally just posted a gif of Harden blowing by Lonzo at a standstill.

You have to get your eyes checked.

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/WarpedNecessaryBeagle-size_restricted.gif

FireDavidKahn
07-11-2019, 02:26 PM
Problem with the Wiggins comp is Andrew is actually significantly more athletic than RJ. Wiggs just never figured out how to utilize it effectively.
Wiggins is also a bean pole who has managed to not add any weight oyn his career. RJ at least has an NBA body and is strong.

Smoke117
07-11-2019, 02:26 PM
I didn't see anything from this guy at Duke that left me impressed.

christian1923
07-11-2019, 02:31 PM
I didn't see anything from this guy at Duke that left me impressed.
He only had one of the greatest freshman seasons ever lol

FireDavidKahn
07-11-2019, 02:31 PM

Good try though champ
The point went over your head. The point isn't how much better Harden is than Barrett but rather that Harden has an extremely quick first step and Barrett simply doesn't have that kind of athleticism.

FireDavidKahn
07-11-2019, 02:36 PM
It's crazy how much people criticize a just turned 19 year old player.
You think everyone should heal praise on every prospect and not point out any negatives? It's the damn off-season and this is the only thing to talk about.

RJ could easily succeed and be great but after watching Wiggins for many years...I just see a lot of the same qualities in Barrett. He obviously possessed traits that are infinitely better than Wiggins but I just wonder if that will be enough to overcome his deficiencies.

Vino24
07-11-2019, 02:37 PM
op hasn't watched basketball since 03

GOBB
07-11-2019, 03:01 PM
Not impressed with RJ Barrett either. But if RJ was from Russian this thread isn

PP34Deuce
07-11-2019, 04:22 PM
You think everyone should heal praise on every prospect and not point out any negatives? It's the damn off-season and this is the only thing to talk about.

RJ could easily succeed and be great but after watching Wiggins for many years...I just see a lot of the same qualities in Barrett. He obviously possessed traits that are infinitely better than Wiggins but I just wonder if that will be enough to overcome his deficiencies.

Similarity isn't there with Wiggins though. One sleepwalks while the other plays hard. You can say Wiggins is more naturally talented but RJ most likely is a harder worker.

At the same age....

Wiggins is a guy that can play great man D, hit mid-range, finish in transition.

Barrett is crafty, stronger finisher.

Smoke117
07-11-2019, 04:31 PM

The way the rules are now you don't even have to have elite quickness. Since if the defender even breathes on you they get called for a foul all you have to be is a decent ball handler to blow by someone in this era. Those guys you are talking about actually had to be quick to get past the defenses they allowed in their eras.

Ass Dan
07-11-2019, 11:13 PM
He stunk the first couple games but then finished with a couple doubles doubles.

He makes plays, but he needs to make shots.

Trae Young was horrifyingly bad in summer league last year, sometimes these high usage guys have more difficulties adjusting to the pace.

There is no Wiggins comp here.

I think with things the way they are set up, he wins RoY