PDA

View Full Version : Between Jordan and LeBron, who was better at?

Gus Hemmingway
07-12-2019, 03:19 PM
Finishing around the basket?

Fast breaks?

3 point shooting?

Rebounding?

Assisting?

Help defense?

Defensive versatility?

Bosnian Sajo
07-12-2019, 03:21 PM
Didn't read OP, answer is Jordan.

LAmbruh
07-12-2019, 03:23 PM
In B4 Gus' fan club :banana:

Trollsmasher
07-12-2019, 03:32 PM
looks like LeBron for all of those

what a coincidence

bullettooth
07-12-2019, 03:48 PM

what a coincidence

Then how'd he manage to lose 2 titles when he ran to a proven winner like Wade?

Bosnian Sajo
07-12-2019, 03:52 PM
Then how'd he manage to lose 2 titles when he ran to a proven winner like Wade?

Nah man, we don't even try with them around these parts.

Bronbron23
07-12-2019, 03:53 PM

Fast breaks?

3 point shooting?

Rebounding?

Assisting?

Help defense?

Defensive versatility?
Fast breaks: tie
3 point shooting: LeBron regular season, even in post season
Rebounding: stats aside it's pretty even. LeBron usually gaurds forwards so he's in the post more to get more rebounds. Even with that he barely gets more rebounds than mj.
Assists: LeBron
Help defence : tie
Defensive versatility: tie

Gus Hemmingway
07-12-2019, 08:47 PM

what a coincidence

Wow

Marchesk
07-12-2019, 09:18 PM
WestBeard

bison
07-12-2019, 11:21 PM

Fast breaks?

3 point shooting?

Rebounding?

Assisting?

Help defense?

Defensive versatility?

Jordan/Kobe

Jordan

Kobe

Lebron

Lebron

Kobe

Kobe/Jordan

AirFederer
07-12-2019, 11:30 PM

Fast breaks?

3 point shooting?

Rebounding?

Assisting?

Help defense?

Defensive versatility?

Most retarded fans?

You got the last box ticked

Manny98
07-13-2019, 04:42 AM
Help defence : tie
Defensive versatility: tie
In what universe is Jordan as versatile defensively as LeBron :biggums:

And1AllDay
07-13-2019, 05:09 AM

what a coincidence

Bronbron23
07-13-2019, 12:35 PM
In what universe is Jordan as versatile defensively as LeBron :biggums:
Easy actually. Mj can't gaurd the 4 and 5 but he can gaurd 1-3. LeBron can't gaurd the 1 and 5 but he can gaurd 2-4. You could find exceptions for both players but in general they both could only gaurd 3 positions

superduper
07-13-2019, 12:39 PM
Why are you thinking about a dude who has been retired for 20 years and was in his prime 30 years ago?

That in itself is your answer.

Peace.

Manny98
07-13-2019, 01:01 PM
LeBron can't gaurd the 1 and 5
https://i.postimg.cc/k4mhX1wJ/phtvrs8s8w2qbwe.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rkm3LVYhInM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AV3O94yv4vc

Bronbron23
07-13-2019, 01:13 PM
https://i.postimg.cc/k4mhX1wJ/phtvrs8s8w2qbwe.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rkm3LVYhInM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AV3O94yv4vc
All you did was show the exceptions I spoke of. Do actually think LeBron night in and night out can effectively gaurd the one and 5 position?

LAmbruh
07-13-2019, 01:22 PM
I see OP's fanclub is in full attendance :lol :banana:

dbugz
07-13-2019, 01:40 PM
This is an insult to the GOAT MJ

comparing him to a top 10-15 player :facepalm :banghead:

Manny98
07-13-2019, 02:49 PM
All you did was show the exceptions I spoke of. Do actually think LeBron night in and night out can effectively gaurd the one and 5 position?
Did you not see Miami LeBron :oldlol:

superduper
07-13-2019, 04:58 PM

Tiago Splitter and Pau Gasol don't count as guarding the 5

72-10
07-13-2019, 05:50 PM

Jordan, decisively. Jordan is the GOAT at this.

Fast breaks?

Jordan. Jordan might be the GOAT at this.

3 point shooting?

LeBron, marginally.

Rebounding?

LeBron, marginally. Would like to point out that LeBron picks up a lot of easy, gimme rebounds on the defensive end and doesn't work as hard at picking up the hard-to-get offensive boards in traffic. LeBron's teammates clear out of the way for him to pick up defensive boards - Jordan's teammates didn't do that, and Jordan was often the shortest player on the floor on his team. Jordan's rebounds were also usually some of the coolest rebounds due to his high jumps and ability to grasp the ball in one hand due to his huge hands.

Assisting?

Do you mean assisting or do you mean passing? LeBron, decisively, but Jordan was no slouch at kicking the ball out and making fancy passes when the defenses collapsed on him as he drove the paint. Might just be marginal LeBron if it's passing.

Help defense?

Jordan, decisively. Once the Bulls applied traps, the opponent had a tough time ever getting through.

Defensive versatility?

Jordan. Jordan played all five positions in the 1991 Finals. He set NBA records for steals and positional records for blocked shots. He could have an interior presence like a center at times.

Bronbron23
07-13-2019, 05:54 PM
Yeah Miami LeBron was insane but he still didn't regularly gaurd 1's and 5's. Yeah there were a few times that he did. He did a great job on a prime d-rose a few times but he didn't regularly gaurd faster gaurds and real bigs for a reason.

72-10
07-13-2019, 05:55 PM
I hope you don't think those are all the facets to basketball, he said knowing full well he probably knew...

Manny98
07-13-2019, 05:55 PM
Tiago Splitter and Pau Gasol don't count as guarding the 5
Um yes they do...

72-10
07-13-2019, 05:56 PM
I calculate a 93% chance you know there are more facets to bball.

PP34Deuce
07-13-2019, 07:47 PM
As far as finishing lebron is the best finisher all time.

Jordan has the aesthetics but I'm sure lebron has more accurate finishes and and1s than Jordan.

Fast break I'd say it's even. Jordan doesnt have a decisive advantage on the fast break. Lebron end to end is faster and stronger while finishing multiple ways.

Rebounding is lebron. People act like they haven't seen lebron grab traffic rebounds. Prime lebron constantly could get boards.

Defense is Jordan. Jordan had more focus on that end. Lebron gave you stretches.

Jordan stans will say Jordan did everything better but lebron is the best finisher next to shaq weve ever seen.

Manny98
07-13-2019, 07:58 PM

Jordan has the aesthetics but I'm sure lebron has more accurate finishes and and1s than Jordan.

Fast break I'd say it's even. Jordan doesnt have a decisive advantage on the fast break. Lebron end to end is faster and stronger while finishing multiple ways.

Rebounding is lebron. People act like they haven't seen lebron grab traffic rebounds. Prime lebron constantly could get boards.

Defense is Jordan. Jordan had more focus on that end. Lebron gave you stretches.

Jordan stans will say Jordan did everything better but lebron is the best finisher next to shaq weve ever seen.
On ball defense Jordan is better

But in terms of defensive versatility and help defense LeBron wins no question

Peak LeBron was arguably the greatest help defender ever and one of the only players that could effectively switch onto all 5 positions.

Indian guy
07-13-2019, 08:20 PM
Those who think it's close in fast breaks really have no clue what they are talking about. MJ was a good open court player. LeBron, along with Magic, is easily the GOAT transition player of all time. A total one man wrecking crew. MJ's simply not in that league.

coin24
07-13-2019, 08:43 PM
The fans have spoken..

Kobe :bowdown:

Bronbron23
07-13-2019, 08:54 PM

I don't know. It depends on how you look at it. LeBron is stronger so when it comes to going up strong it's no question LeBron was better. Mj on the other hand was a much more versatile finisher. The way he could adjust in the air was insane. His hands were a huge advantage also. I think your forgetting how good a finisher prime mj was.

Bronbron23
07-13-2019, 08:55 PM
Those who think it's close in fast breaks really have no clue what they are talking about. MJ was a good open court player. LeBron, along with Magic, is easily the GOAT transition player of all time. A total one man wrecking crew. MJ's simply not in that league.
Yes Bron was a little better in the open court. Mj was much better in the half court though

PP34Deuce
07-13-2019, 10:19 PM
I don't know. It depends on how you look at it. LeBron is stronger so when it comes to going up strong it's no question LeBron was better. Mj on the other hand was a much more versatile finisher. The way he could adjust in the air was insane. His hands were a huge advantage also. I think your forgetting how good a finisher prime mj was.

I saw prime Jordan. I think people see the aesthetics and automatically rank him higher in finishing. Lebron didnt have to adjust in the air in his prime he literally could just outmsucle guys while having soft hands just like Jordan. Lebron is a power perimeter player. Both guys are goat finishers but I do think lebron has the percentages and also eye test to be the shaq of finishers at SF.

PP34Deuce
07-13-2019, 10:24 PM
https://youtu.be/Fs_qyW_b9HU

Great video of lebron finishes. You cant go wrong with either guy but the advantage of being 6 8 250 doing that is more impressive than 6 6 215.

3ball
07-13-2019, 10:29 PM
https://youtu.be/Fs_qyW_b9HU

Great video of lebron finishes. You cant go wrong with either guy but the advantage of being 6 8 250 doing that is more impressive than 6 6 215.
Pedestrian, uncoordinated and low/short-flying compared to MJ of course, or even Dr. J or Kobe for that matter, who all had far greater finishes in much greater traffic

Duncan21formvp
07-13-2019, 10:44 PM
Finishing around the basket? - Jordan

Fast breaks? - Jordan

3 point shooting? - Jordan

Rebounding? - Jordan

Assisting? - Jordan

Help defense? - Jordan

Defensive versatility? - Jordan

Jordan for all as he didnt lose a series with HCA and definitely not to a career loser in Dwight Howard.

72-10
07-13-2019, 10:54 PM
I'll digress Jordan wasn't the best of passers in the open court...

Vino24
07-13-2019, 10:58 PM
LeBron was better at everything

PP34Deuce
07-13-2019, 11:05 PM
Lebron is a better finisher than Michael jordan.

Facts are there for both but lebron is a better finisher.

Duncan21formvp
07-13-2019, 11:18 PM
LeBron was better at everything
Then why lose to Dwight Howard with HCA and be down in a series every year of his career in a series 3-2 even 5 years in a row with HCA?

Bronbron23
07-14-2019, 07:43 AM
There's a reason why mj has a crap ton more facials than lebron. His advantage was his first step, his hands and his more versatile leaping ability. Mj would dunk on guys from one or two feet. LeBron is mostly a one foot jumper. Mj would also dunk on guys off a hop step. How many times have you seen LeBron do that? LeBron is wicked strong and his strength is the great equalizer here but being a great finisher is alot more than just strength. This one is pretty even

Phoenix
07-14-2019, 09:18 AM
I don't know how you can simply apply the percentage argument as if the at-rim protection in the 90's and the 2010's are apples to apples. At least try to use some context FFS. Lebron's strength and size at the rim would adapt but I doubt he's hitting the same at-rim percentages.

Lebron in the modern era used his physical size advantage and athleticism to finish at the rim with high percentages. The occurrences of him not being the strongest/biggest player at the rim in any given exchange are pretty rare. MJ had athletic advantages in his era but not height/weight ones, and needed to 'improvise' alot of reverse and double clutch layups over and around multiple rim defenders. He was a better two foot jumper and that allowed him to gather in the paint, go up with power AND height and adjust in-air as necessary. The crazy layup against New Jersey where he adjusts the ball twice in-air before softly finishing on the other side of the rim is the apex of in-air improvisation, and what's crazy is MJ made the play seem routine:

https://i.skyrock.net/7577/57547577/pics/3154685674_1_2_cx12Az0j.gif
http://i.imgur.com/FwFnCu1.gif

You simply can't teach that, or even visualize it, in advance of getting in the air.

They're really different finishers, different styles, and in different defensive environments