PDA

View Full Version : Steven A Smith: "Melo would change his legacy if he joined the Lakers"

PWB15
07-14-2019, 12:57 AM
HUH?:wtf:

How the f*ck would he do that? Would Vince Carter legacy had changed if he joined GS three years ago? Would Tracy Mcgrady legacy change if he joined the Heat 4 years ago? Both of those players were better than Melo and would not have had a different legacy if they won a CHEAP RING

If melo was to join the lakers and win a ring it would remind me of

Robert Parish winning a ring with the Bulls in 96
Antione Walker winning a ring with the Heat in 2006

It wouldnt change SHET:rockon:

ScalsFan21
07-14-2019, 01:31 AM
The answer is that Stephen A. is paid to be entertaining, not to make good points. Obviously Melo's legacy is toast, and I don't even think time will make us look back on his career much more favorably than we do already.

Mr Feeny
07-14-2019, 01:57 AM
Walker actually contributed to the 2006 Heat. He was a great role player for them. Parish barely even got on the court.

bladefd
07-14-2019, 02:07 AM
The answer is that Stephen A. is paid to be entertaining, not to make good points. Obviously Melo's legacy is toast, and I don't even think time will make us look back on his career much more favorably than we do already.

Stephen A is also friends with Melo. He was still talking about Melo starting during his OKC stint while Melo was complete garbage player. Don't take the buffoon serious.

Spurs m8
07-14-2019, 02:10 AM
Honestly, i have no idea why anyone watches or listens to shows with these morons on them

Uncle Drew
07-14-2019, 03:17 AM
What exactly is Melo's legacy?

Xiao Yao You
07-14-2019, 04:20 AM
please make it happen. Cousins and Melo. :roll:

E_Stamkos
07-14-2019, 06:27 AM
Stephen A Smith is a blithering idiot. Nothing he, nor any of his hot take comrades say is worth a single f*uck.

Real Men Wear Green
07-14-2019, 06:44 AM
It would change his legacy if they won a championship because people wouldn't be able to say he never won a ring. People that paid attention to his career won't have their opinion changed by a season off the bench but over time people will stop mentioning and then stop remembering the footnotes, details like "he averaged 12 points in his champ season" or whatever it ends up being. We don't put Gary Payton on par with Dwyane Wade but by winning a title in Miami GP got rid of the "never won a ring" asterisk and now people don't think about where he didn't lead the Sonics. "Couldn'twin a ring until he joined a great team with players better than himself" is too wordy, too unwieldy of a sentence for people to repeat forever so eventually it goes away.

ScalsFan21
07-14-2019, 06:58 AM
It would change his legacy if they won a championship because people wouldn't be able to say he never won a ring. People that paid attention to his career won't have their opinion changed by a season off the bench but over time people will stop mentioning and then stop remembering the footnotes, details like "he averaged 12 points in his champ season" or whatever it ends up being. We don't put Gary Payton on par with Dwyane Wade but by winning a title in Miami GP got rid of the "never won a ring" asterisk and now people don't think about where he didn't lead the Sonics. "Couldn'twin a ring until he joined a great team with players better than himself" is too wordy, too unwieldy of a sentence for people to repeat forever so eventually it goes away.

Good point. Even recently, I never thought anyone would take KD's Warriors rings remotely seriously when he first signed there, but two years later here we are. Detail's got a tendency to wash away over the years.

Jasper
07-14-2019, 09:47 AM
great one year college player -end of story

Back In Shape
07-14-2019, 10:30 AM
great one year college player -end of story

Well he should have got ROY over Lebron James.

But Stern had already engraved Bron's name on it before he even finished high school. Can't have "The Chosen One" and "King James" getting beat out by a guy who was drafted behind Darko.

Real14
07-14-2019, 06:58 PM
Reported for Stupidity. Melo would be worse with Lebron btw.

bullettooth
07-14-2019, 07:12 PM
Anyone remember Mitch Richmond? He got a ring.

SamuraiSWISH
07-14-2019, 07:14 PM
Walker actually contributed to the 2006 Heat. He was a great role player for them. Parish barely even got on the court.
Stunningly accurate assessment of 2006 Antoine Walker

PWB15
07-15-2019, 12:21 AM

But he wasn't the main guy when he won that ring so what does it matter:confusedshrug:

PWB15
07-15-2019, 12:27 AM
Good point. Even recently, I never thought anyone would take KD's Warriors rings remotely seriously when he first signed there, but two years later here we are. Detail's got a tendency to wash away over the years.

That's because KD made it his team and won 2 Finals MVP in a row. Gar Payton was that big of a factor

PWB15
07-15-2019, 12:32 AM
Anyone remember Mitch Richmond? He got a ring.

HUH? He wasn't even a starter on that team and averaged 3 pts a game:oldlol:

bullettooth
07-15-2019, 12:44 AM
HUH? He wasn't even a starter on that team and averaged 3 pts a game:oldlol:
Exactly.

SouBeachTalents
07-15-2019, 01:14 AM
People don't seem to realize that's the point of these shows, whether they're about sports, politics etc., the "pundits" are supposed to make outrageous and/or controversial statements in order to boost viewership, or at the very least, get people talking about the show.

So mission accomplished Stephen A

nashwade
07-15-2019, 02:47 AM
imagine this:

Melo hits the game winner 3 for the Lakers in Game 7 against the Bucks in the Finals

that's some legacy-worthy shit

clipps
07-15-2019, 03:33 AM
LMAO just like how McGrady's ring with the Spurs defined his legacy.

ImKobe
07-15-2019, 08:11 AM
As a 15th guy on the roster? :kobe: you know we ain't giving him any real minutes because of his defense.

brownmamba00
07-15-2019, 08:15 AM
As a 15th guy on the roster? :kobe: you know we ain't giving him any real minutes because of his defense.
Unless Kuzma gets hurt

brownmamba00
07-15-2019, 08:17 AM
Melo should go to Miami. Butler needs help.

Xiao Yao You
07-15-2019, 08:30 AM

Doesn't look like they are too concerned about defense looking at that roster

Phenith
07-15-2019, 11:21 AM
Who's Melo?

But seriously, Melo might be better than some players in the league right now, but he's the type of guy who thinks he's a starter no matter what, remember his press conference in OKC when they asked him about coming off the bench and he started laughing and said "who me?"... he's got that "start me or waive/trade me" attitude ala Iverson and we all remember how well he lasted in the league.

Bosnian Sajo
07-15-2019, 11:49 AM

I was about to say, give Toine his respect.

Real Men Wear Green
07-15-2019, 07:12 PM
But he wasn't the main guy when he won that ring so what does it matter:confusedshrug:Because it's the second-greatest team achievement in basketball (a team other than USA winning the world's is #1). It keeps people from saying he never won a ring. This isn't about how good he was (that really can't be measured by championships alone anyhow) it's about how his career is remembered, which is just going to come down to what people see when they look at the wiki. Probably less than half this board saw Barkley or Nique but just assume they're lesser stars because they didn't win a ring. Change that narrative and a player's legacy changes.

Real14
07-15-2019, 07:21 PM
Melo should go to Miami. Butler needs help.
Miami dont need anymore help.

PWB15
07-15-2019, 11:12 PM
Because it's the second-greatest team achievement in basketball (a team other than USA winning the world's is #1). It keeps people from saying he never won a ring. This isn't about how good he was (that really can't be measured by championships alone anyhow) it's about how his career is remembered, which is just going to come down to what people see when they look at the wiki. Probably less than half this board saw Barkley or Nique but just assume they're lesser stars because they didn't win a ring. Change that narrative and a player's legacy changes.

I didn't remember shet until it was mentioned. Now it's coming back to me and I remember shaq hugging him after the 2nd title when they beat the Nets

But he was a bench player and 36 at the time:facepalm

Real Men Wear Green
07-16-2019, 09:04 AM
I didn't remember shet until it was mentioned. Now it's coming back to me and I remember shaq hugging him after the 2nd title when they beat the Nets

But he was a bench player and 36 at the time:facepalmNot sure who you're talking about here.

r0drig0lac
07-16-2019, 09:30 AM
goat FIBA player

GOBB
07-16-2019, 09:34 AM
Him winning a ring won

Real Men Wear Green
07-16-2019, 10:34 AM
Him winning a ring won’t help his legacy much. The narrative becomes he was carried to his first ring because he couldn’t win one as the man. That’s not much different than he never won a ring. I honestly forgot Gary Payton won a ring. When people talk about Barkley not winning a ring it’s done in the context he couldn’t get it done as the man. I’m imagining how that changes had he won one in Houston. I don’t think it changes. Instead of bringing up being ringless it becomes you got carried to your only ring. I’m just not seeing the difference here.

Legacy changing for me has to be something drastic. Like Melo embracing being a role player. We all know he’s wired to be a starter. For him to change that would be legacy changing for him. And had a ring resulted would’ve added to the change it even more.
Someone that really remembers his career will think that way but the remembered narrative by the general public won't delve into details. While they're winning the ring ESPN will mainly talk about how he's sacrificed his scoring and could have had a bigger role on some other team that may not even exist. A decade ;ater when they hold the ceremony to honor their Championship the SportsCenter anchor is going to talk about what a great player he was in his heyday. This isn't about reality it's about perception.

GOBB
07-16-2019, 10:42 AM
Someone that really remembers his career will think that way but the remembered narrative by the general public won't delve into details. While they're winning the ring ESPN will mainly talk about how he's sacrificed his scoring and could have had a bigger role on some other team that may not even exist. A decade ;ater when they hold the ceremony to honor their Championship the SportsCenter anchor is going to talk about what a great player he was in his heyday. This isn't about reality it's about perception.

The casual fan who doesn

Kiddlovesnets
07-16-2019, 10:45 AM
How could he change his legacy when he doesn

DoctorP
07-16-2019, 04:53 PM
SAS has had a hard on for Melo since forever

DoctorP
07-16-2019, 04:54 PM
Melo could go to China and change his legacy too.

Real14
07-16-2019, 07:22 PM
[QUOTE=Kiddlovesnets]How could he change his legacy when he doesn