PDA

View Full Version : Who grabs the 8th Playoff spot in the West?

eliteballer
07-14-2019, 01:17 PM
Assuming no catastrophic injuries and huge amounts of missed games the consensus would seem to be that the first 7 spots should go to some order of:

Lakers
Rockets
Clippers
Nuggets
Jazz
Blazers
Warriors

So who goes 8th?

Shogon
07-14-2019, 01:18 PM
You automatically think the Warriors get there without Klay, Livingston, KD, & Iguodala?

Who did they pick up?

I think Steph is clearly the best regular season player in the league if not best player in the league still, but they're going to be damn hurting for help this year.

Sure, they've still got Draymond also... but their depth is absolutely raped.

eliteballer
07-14-2019, 01:20 PM
You automatically think the Warriors get there without Klay, Livingston, KD, & Iguodala?

Who did they pick up?

I think Steph is clearly the best regular season player in the league if not best player in the league still, but they're going to be damn hurting for help this year.

Klay should be back after the new year..

tpols
07-14-2019, 01:21 PM
Spurs probably.

pop and 2 all stars is a playoff team.

Shogon
07-14-2019, 01:21 PM
I could be wrong as shit but I think it's GS, Sacramento, Dallas, fighting for the 8 spot.

You have Dallas listed twice...

I can't omit the Spurs.

Clippers, Lakers, Blazers, Nuggets, Jazz, Rockets are my locked 6.

GS/Sac/Dallas/Spurs fighting for 7 & 8.

Officially guessing... GS & Spurs.

GS's chances drop to 0 if Steph even misses a month from injury because of an increased workload.

tpols
07-14-2019, 01:24 PM

Who did they pick up?

They have deangelo russell now...

I had the same argument as you til somebody pointed that out, totally missed it.

dlo is an on ball all star offensive talent, something curry never had outside durant.

He is a huge pressure release for him. The only concern is injury...there guaranteed playoffs with good health and likely high seed.

Shogon
07-14-2019, 01:26 PM
They have deangelo russell now...

I had the same argument as you til somebody pointed that out, totally missed it.

dlo is an on ball all star offensive talent, something curry never had outside durant.

He is a huge pressure release for him. The only concern is injury...there guaranteed playoffs with good health and likely high seed.

Haha, I totally forgot they picked him up. Ok, they'll probably make it.

So... then it becomes... San Antonio, Sacramento or Dallas... pick one... I'm going Spurs, but Dallas wouldn't surprise at all if they get up to 4-6 range.

eliteballer
07-14-2019, 01:48 PM
I could be wrong as shit but I think it's GS, Sacramento, Dallas, fighting for the 8 spot.

You have Dallas listed twice...

I can't omit the Spurs.

Clippers, Lakers, Blazers, Nuggets, Jazz, Rockets are my locked 6.

GS/Sac/Dallas/Spurs fighting for 7 & 8.

Officially guessing... GS & Spurs.

GS's chances drop to 0 if Steph even misses a month from injury because of an increased workload.

Damn, should be Sacramento.

Mods can we get a fix.

Gus Hemmingway
07-14-2019, 02:02 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DjOhk_6W0AAymiB.jpg

https://static1.squarespace.com/static/5b4d3b7af407b4cb780172f7/t/5b666a0d575d1f9e8aac16d7/1533438521673/Bucks-news-Giannis-Antetokounmpo-looks-jacked-up-in-workout-photo-with-brothers2.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BuPVXWDCIAACdV4.jpg

https://www.nbcsports.com/philadelphia/sites/csnphilly/files/styles/article_hero_image/public/2016/05/19/embiid-jacked.png

Doomsday Dallas
07-14-2019, 02:07 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdWDcFK3pKU

red1
07-14-2019, 02:11 PM
spurs

RealSkipBayless
07-14-2019, 02:12 PM
Kings will take the spot.

GSW could miss the playoffs. Don't give a **** what anybody says.

jayfan
07-14-2019, 02:19 PM
Dallas

qrich
07-14-2019, 02:29 PM
Memphis is tanking, OKC is a toss-up on if they want to tank or retool on the fly, New Orleans has a WOAT tier coach, and I don't trust Phoenix.

That leaves San Antonio, Sacramento, Dallas and Phoenix.

Dallas + San Antonio have the best coaching, Dallas potentially has two stars if Staps comes back healthy. All four of those sides have pretty good chemistry returning.

I want to see Sacramento sneak in to have all four California teams in there, but coaching will hold them back.

Going to say Dallas with Jim Carrey, Doncic and Staps.

Xiao Yao You
07-14-2019, 02:34 PM
Klay should be back after the new year..

and if the tough part of the schedule comes at the beginning of the year it may be too late and it may take him a while to return to form

NBAGOAT
07-14-2019, 03:01 PM
Warriors depends on how well dangelo acclimates and how hard draymond tries. When he does steph/dray is legitimately a top 5 duo in the league even if talent doesn’t seem to be there. I still like their chances at a 6 or 7 seed, I think por will miss nurkic too.

I picked spurs but I kind of think kings have a decent chance. They’re really making a playoff push with all those overpaid veterans on short deals and have the young core. Rest of Dallas roster is too meh for me and nop has poor shooting and banking on a lot of potential

highwhey
07-14-2019, 03:08 PM
people seriously sleeping on the Suns https://emojipedia-us.s3.dualstack.us-west-1.amazonaws.com/thumbs/72/apple/198/face-with-look-of-triumph_1f624.png

- we essentially are a new team with the exception of Booker, Mikal, and Deandre.

- all the scrubs from the previous administration are gonezo.

- we no longer have a g-leauge point guard. finally have a point guard that can pass.

- we are loaded with 3pt shooters even on the bench

- got a coach with experience coaching elite big men. imagine that, a coach that acknowledges a talented 7footer on the team. last coach we had was a euro scrub with no idea or experience with big men.

RRR3
07-14-2019, 03:10 PM
people seriously sleeping on the Suns https://emojipedia-us.s3.dualstack.us-west-1.amazonaws.com/thumbs/72/apple/198/face-with-look-of-triumph_1f624.png

- we essentially are a new team with the exception of Booker, Mikal, and Deandre.

- we no longer have a g-leauge point guard. finally have a point guard that can pass.

- got a coach with experience coaching elite big men. imagine that, a coach that acknowledges a talented 7footer on the team. last coach we had was a euro scrub with no idea or experience with big men.
Agreed. I can see them breaking out with 28 wins this year.

highwhey
07-14-2019, 03:12 PM
Agreed. I can see them breaking out with 28 wins this year.
8th seed https://emojipedia-us.s3.dualstack.us-west-1.amazonaws.com/thumbs/72/apple/198/face-with-look-of-triumph_1f624.png

Xiao Yao You
07-14-2019, 03:12 PM

He coached Gobert. He had an idea.

Your pg likes to pass but he will make some of the ugliest passes you've ever seen. Throw in his shooting, turnovers and matador D and it will be another long season for the Suns

highwhey
07-14-2019, 03:14 PM
He coached Gobert. He had an idea.

Your pg likes to pass but he will make some of the ugliest passes you've ever seen. Throw in his shooting and matador D and it will be another long season for the Suns
no he didn't. igor was the biggest idiot in the nba by far.

his philosophy consisted of passing to the open wing and ignore a wide open 7 footer in the paint with favorable position.

and rubio is way better than any pg we've had for years. no team with a g-leauge point guard starting will go anywhere meaningful.

RRR3
07-14-2019, 03:14 PM
8th seed https://emojipedia-us.s3.dualstack.us-west-1.amazonaws.com/thumbs/72/apple/198/face-with-look-of-triumph_1f624.png
And then you woke up.

Xiao Yao You
07-14-2019, 03:16 PM
no he didn't. igor was the biggest idiot in the nba by far.

his philosophy consisted of passing to the open wing and ignore a wide open 7 footer in the paint with favorable position.

and rubio is way better than any pg we've had for years. no team with a g-leauge point guard starting will go anywhere meaningful.

Ricky may be the best you've had but he is still a backup on any team that wants to go anywhere

highwhey
07-14-2019, 03:18 PM
Ricky may be the best you've had but he is still a backup on any team that wants to go anywhere
sure, bc he can't shoot. hoping he can average 35% from the 3 like he did previously and we'll be fine.

booker will be the best scorer he's played with. and deandre will finally have someone to feed him.

rubio has never had this much offensive power around him before.

Xiao Yao You
07-14-2019, 03:19 PM
sure, bc he can't shoot. hoping he can average 35% from the 3 like he did previously and we'll be fine.

booker will be the best scorer he's played with. and deandre will finally have someone to feed him.

rubio has never had this much offensive power around him before.

The worst defensive backcourt in basketball

highwhey
07-14-2019, 03:22 PM
The worst defensive backcourt in basketball
not even. rubio is a decent defender. not like mitchell is a great defender. dude's defense is basic af. :oldlol:

Xiao Yao You
07-14-2019, 03:25 PM
not even. rubio is a decent defender. not like mitchell is a great defender. dude's defense is basic af. :oldlol:

Mitchell's defense will be a lot better this year now that he's not spending all of his energy on offense.

Rubio plays behind his man and goes for steals. Horrible defender that won't have the best defender in the world to save his sorry ass anymore

RRR3
07-14-2019, 03:29 PM
Mitchell's defense will be a lot better this year now that he's not spending all of his energy on offense.

Rubio plays behind his man and goes for steals. Horrible defender that won't have the best defender in the world to save his sorry ass anymore
Rubio is known as a good defender.

highwhey
07-14-2019, 03:30 PM
what's the biggest thing Booker has needed his entire career?

a distributor. the fact that he had to go out and average 7 assists per game last season speaks volume as to how horrible the pg situation has been.

rubio can stand his ground on defense but he can't make up for Booker on that aspect, that's why we got Mikal Bridges, probably the most underrated young defender in the league. This guy is a lock down defender.

then we have Deandre that put up a silent but great rookie season with much improved defense towards the end of the season.

people forget when Booker was healthy last season, we swept the Bucks at full strength. we beat the warriors at full strength. we had a good run after acquiring Tyler Johnson (a back up pg) only to have him go down with an injury.

now we have a much better passer. we got 3pt shooters all around.

we finally got a pg that knows how to make a post entry pass ffs :roll:

Xiao Yao You
07-14-2019, 03:30 PM
Rubio is known as a good defender.

He's been called a plus defender with his 7 foot wingspan. Not the guy I watched the past two years for sure

highwhey
07-14-2019, 03:32 PM

same can be said for Booker, he's had to carry this offense AND create for a long time now. he averaged 7 assists last season. with a proper distributor and shooters around him, he'll be less tired since he's not getting doubled every single play.

Xiao Yao You
07-14-2019, 03:36 PM
what's the biggest thing Booker has needed his entire career?

a distributor. the fact that he had to go out and average 7 assists per game last season speaks volume as to how horrible the pg situation has been.

rubio can stand his ground on defense but he can't make up for Booker on that aspect, that's why we got Mikal Bridges, probably the most underrated young defender in the league. This guy is a lock down defender.

then we have Deandre that put up a silent but great rookie season with much improved defense towards the end of the season.

people forget when Booker was healthy last season, we swept the Bucks at full strength. we beat the warriors at full strength. we had a good run after acquiring Tyler Johnson (a back up pg) only to have him go down with an injury.

now we have a much better passer. we got 3pt shooters all around.

we finally got a pg that knows how to make a post entry pass ffs :roll:

He's known as a great passer but he'll leave you scratching your head plenty wonder what the **** he's thinking with many of his passes. He's got a low basketball IQ. Runs around like a chicken without its head. Plays with a lot of energy. Bench player not 17 million a year starter

qrich
07-14-2019, 03:50 PM

Suns may have finally made the right moves to surround Booker, but the roster still is lacking behind the big boys in the conference.

Monty Williams also isn't a very good coach, he's better suited in a scout/assistant/GM type of role.

I see Phoenix being in the race until about ~20 games left in the season.

highwhey
07-14-2019, 03:55 PM
Suns may have finally made the right moves to surround Booker, but the roster still is lacking behind the big boys in the conference.

Monty Williams also isn't a very good coach, he's better suited in a scout/assistant/GM type of role.

I see Phoenix being in the race until about ~20 games left in the season.
for sure. even rubio is seen as a stop gap PG. i don't think this will be the final iteration of the roster with the intention of competing for a title. i think this roster right now is the best we could assemble with the sole intention of competing for the 8th seed. obviously the top teams in the conference are much better but at the bottom of the seeds, 8th may be achievable if we keep a fully healthy squad. i expect a big leap from Ayton defensively and expect Booker to be better now that he doesn't have to carry the offense alone.

Manny98
07-14-2019, 04:01 PM

Yall still trash defensively

Xiao Yao You
07-14-2019, 04:03 PM

no one seems to think that side of the ball matters for some reason

highwhey
07-14-2019, 04:04 PM
ain't no one playing defense in the reg season.

qrich
07-14-2019, 04:05 PM

#ClampCity
#LockCity
#LockDown
#MaxSecurity

We are.

Xiao Yao You

The Jazz, the Bucks, Pacers...

RRR3
Not on the Suns at least

Xiao Yao You
07-14-2019, 04:08 PM
The improved offense without Ricky's turnovers and bricks leading to easy baskets at the other end will make the Jazz defense even better

highwhey
07-14-2019, 04:13 PM
we've seen this before with the 05 suns. never played a lick of defense and went .500 for many seasons, made the playoffs too. it wasn't until we met a defensive team like the spurs that we lost.

high powered offenses do fine the regular season and get destroyed in the post season. i'm ok with that this season bc our goal is not to be a lottery team.:rockon:

Xiao Yao You
07-14-2019, 04:15 PM
we've seen this before with the 05 suns. never played a lick of defense and went .500 for many seasons, made the playoffs too. it wasn't until we met a defensive team like the spurs that we lost.

high powered offenses do fine the regular season and get destroyed in the post season. i'm ok with that this season bc our goal is not to be a lottery team.:rockon:

Kings had plenty of offense last year and missed the playoffs. The Kings are what the Suns hope to be. You need a new owner to have any hope

highwhey
07-14-2019, 04:20 PM
Kings had plenty of offense last year and missed the playoffs. The Kings are what the Suns hope to be. You need a new owner to have any hope
we're better than the kings now. have a stretch 4. we were playing small forwards at PF while they got bullied. now we have someone to open up space while rebounding.

and OKC is no longer making the playoffs so that's an open spot right there.

Xiao Yao You
07-14-2019, 04:23 PM
we're better than the kings now. have a stretch 4. we were playing small forwards at PF while they got bullied. now we have someone to open up space while rebounding.

and OKC is no longer making the playoffs so that's an open spot right there.

They aren't better than the Kings or Thunder. The Thunder have 3 pg's better than Bricky.

The Suns are fighting with Memphis and Minnesota for the worst of the west

highwhey
07-14-2019, 04:26 PM
They aren't better than the Kings or Thunder. The Thunder have 3 pg's better than Bricky.

The Suns are fighting with Memphis and Minnesota for the worst of the west
:roll: :roll: :roll:

your hate for ricky is really pronounced.

Xiao Yao You
07-14-2019, 04:28 PM
:roll: :roll: :roll:

your hate for ricky is really pronounced.

Ricky is better than an all time great?

You're as delusional as many Utah fans were a couple of years ago

highwhey
07-14-2019, 04:29 PM
Ricky is better than an all time great?

You're as delusional as many Utah fans were a couple of years ago
cp3 is better, but 3pg's? who are the other 2?

and okc isn't making the playoffs with cp3 alone.

Xiao Yao You
07-14-2019, 04:30 PM
cp3 is better, but 3pg's? who are the other 2?

Schroeder and the kid they got for George

highwhey
07-14-2019, 04:33 PM
Schroeder and the kid they got for George
shai will eventually be better than rubio, but he's not there yet.

and schroeder? he's a better scorer but not better playmaker. and even then, he's horribly inefficient. 50% TS :roll:

Xiao Yao You
07-14-2019, 04:35 PM
shai will eventually be better than rubio, but he's not there yet.

and schroeder? he's a better scorer but not better playmaker. and even then, he's horribly inefficient. 50% TS :roll:

Ricky can't hit 3's or layups and you want to bring up efficiency

ReturnofJPR
07-14-2019, 04:36 PM
Not sure the nugz are a sure thing. Spurs are in without question. Mavs could sneak in. Plus injuries happen so you never know

Xiao Yao You
07-14-2019, 04:38 PM
Not sure the nugz are a sure thing. Spurs are in without question. Mavs could sneak in. Plus injuries happen so you never know

Only thing keeping the Nuggets out would be a significant injury to Jokic

sammichoffate
07-14-2019, 04:41 PM
Not sure the nugz are a sure thing. Spurs are in without question. Mavs could sneak in. Plus injuries happen so you never knowYes they are. Suns would be lucky win 30 games this season ^

highwhey
07-14-2019, 04:42 PM
Ricky can't hit 3's or layups and you want to bring up efficiency
you

ReturnofJPR
07-14-2019, 04:45 PM
Yes they are. Suns would be lucky win 30 games this season ^

Suns? Who cares about the Suns??? I'm a bulls fan from the Chi

Xiao Yao You
07-14-2019, 04:46 PM
[QUOTE=highwhey]you

highwhey
07-14-2019, 04:50 PM
I'm not the one that thinks Bricky means the Suns are a playoff team in the brutal west
nah, you

Xiao Yao You
07-14-2019, 04:52 PM
[QUOTE=highwhey]nah, you

wagexslave
07-14-2019, 05:01 PM
Not on the Suns at least
I mean Mikal Bridges, Kelly Oubre, Ricky Rubio, and Aron Baynes are all good defenders. Ayton's not quite there yet but his defensive potential is through the roof and he improved greatly as last season continued(constantly practicing with Baynes will benefit him). Tyler Johnson and Dario Saric are average defenders at best and Devin Booker and Frank Kaminsky are poor defenders.

That covers all of the rotation players that aren't rookies. To me that doesn't look like a poor defensive team. :confusedshrug: You only really have 2 guys on the squad that you can for sure say are bad defenders, everyone else is arguably at least average and some with potential to be great. But people will assume this is the same squad as last year even though it's almost a completely different team.

TJ Warren was one of the worst defenders in the league and he's gone. Dragan Bender sucks on defense and he got replaced. Ellie Okobo was horrible defensively and he'll likely be cut before the season starts. And guys we were playing for the first half of the season like Ryan Anderson, Tyson Chandler, Trevor Ariza, etc put 0 defensive effort when they were on the court for us. They didn't care at all about trying to win. This is not the same team as last season.

Xiao Yao You
07-14-2019, 05:03 PM
I mean Mikal Bridges, Kelly Oubre, Ricky Rubio, and Aron Baynes are all good defenders. Ayton's not quite there yet but his defensive potential is through the roof and he improved greatly as last season continued(constantly practicing with Baynes will benefit him). Tyler Johnson and Dario Saric are average defenders at best and Devin Booker and Frank Kaminsky are poor defenders.

That covers all of the rotation players that aren't rookies. To me that doesn't look like a poor defensive team. :confusedshrug: You only really have 2 guys on the squad that you can for sure say are bad defenders, everyone else is arguably at least average and some with potential to be great. But people will assume this is the same squad as last year even though it's almost a completely different team.

TJ Warren was one of the worst defenders in the league and he's gone. Dragan Bender sucks on defense and he got replaced. Ellie Okobo was horrible defensively and he'll likely be cut before the season starts. And guys we were playing for the first half of the season like Ryan Anderson, Tyson Chandler, Trevor Ariza, etc put 0 defensive effort when they were on the court for us. They didn't care at all about trying to win. This is not the same team as last season.

Rubio is a poor defender no matter what you've heard. Rudy won't be there to save him either

Chuckbe
07-14-2019, 06:25 PM
Lakers but only if LeBron doesn't activate "playoff mode".

Real14
07-14-2019, 06:42 PM
Spurs because they always find a way to make it due to the system.

NugzFan
07-14-2019, 06:57 PM
Such disrespect - people don

Xiao Yao You
07-14-2019, 06:59 PM
[QUOTE=NugzFan]Such disrespect - people don

highwhey
07-14-2019, 07:48 PM
Such disrespect - people don’t think denver can even make the 8th seed :wtf:
pretty sure everyone agrees the nugz will get a higher seed...this thread is discussing teams fighting for the 8th seed.

5-7 my guess

qrich
07-14-2019, 08:20 PM
[QUOTE=NugzFan]Such disrespect - people don

Xiao Yao You
07-14-2019, 08:21 PM

but this guy doesn't

NugzFan
07-14-2019, 10:26 PM
Forgot the /s