PDA

View Full Version : Jordan on why he wouldn't rep his country in the '96 Olympics

Hey Yo
07-16-2019, 04:45 PM
"I don't like giving advice on things like that," said Jordan. "Everybody has their own individual goals. Some players may have goals of representing their country, and if that's the case, they should go. But they should know what they're getting into, a grueling five-week process that will eventually take its toll on you mentally and physically."

https://www.nytimes.com/1993/01/22/sports/pro-basketball-jordan-says-no-thanks-to-the-dream-team-ii.html

Jesus Christ, is there ever a time this dude doesn't cite mental and physical fatigue?? No chance whatsoever he would have won 8 straight titles if he didn't decide to quit the league.

:facepalm

superduper
07-16-2019, 04:47 PM
Look guys!! Jordan couldn't win 8 straight titles, he only 3peated twice!!!! :mad: :mad:

Prometheus
07-16-2019, 04:48 PM
If you have watched the doco from the Dream Team, you know he was staying up all night drinking and playing cards and whatnot. It might not have needed to take such a toll, but for him it did because of his lifestyle choices at that time.

SomeBlackDude
07-16-2019, 05:05 PM
Look guys!! Jordan couldn't win 8 straight titles, he only 3peated twice!!!! :mad: :mad:

damn, even being lazy and half assing it, the goat still doubled lekang's accomplishments. took a 2 year timeout in the middle of his prime yet somehow still has 2x as many rangz.

:biggums:

bullettooth
07-16-2019, 05:28 PM
Thread backfire :lol

Spurs m8
07-16-2019, 05:34 PM
Its hilarious watching these Bron stans clutching at straws

SamuraiSWISH
07-16-2019, 05:38 PM
He won two gold medals already by that point.

One at 20 years old dragging collegiate players while clearly being the best player on the floor LOL and then one again in 1992.

He was 33 going on 34 in that 1996 Olympics. Why would he have needed to be out there?

If he was however. That would’ve been easily the best Team USA ever. All in their primes, or tail end of primes, and healthy. Their defense, length, bigs, playmaking and shooting would’ve been off the charts.

ClipperRevival
07-16-2019, 05:51 PM
"I don't like giving advice on things like that," said Jordan. "Everybody has their own individual goals. Some players may have goals of representing their country, and if that's the case, they should go. But they should know what they're getting into, a grueling five-week process that will eventually take its toll on you mentally and physically."

https://www.nytimes.com/1993/01/22/sports/pro-basketball-jordan-says-no-thanks-to-the-dream-team-ii.html

Jesus Christ, is there ever a time this dude doesn't cite mental and physical fatigue?? No chance whatsoever he would have won 8 straight titles if he didn't decide to quit the league.

Jordan, Jordan, Jordan, Jordan. :mad: :rant

Keep melting down babyboi

sdot_thadon
07-16-2019, 06:19 PM
Never heard that one Op. Add it to the archives. What's hilarious to see is damage control stans lining up anytime a non commercialized take or story about Mj is revealed. You guys gotta be better than this as hard as many of you are on current players.

jstern
07-16-2019, 06:31 PM
I've noticed that Wheels and others spend a lot of time digging through old articles for dirt on Michael Jordan.

guy
07-16-2019, 06:33 PM
Hold on, didn

ClipperRevival
07-16-2019, 06:35 PM
I've noticed that Wheels and others spend a lot of time digging through old articles for dirt on Michael Jordan.

They shook.

Hey Yo
07-16-2019, 06:51 PM
[QUOTE=SamuraiSWISH]He won two gold medals already by that point.

One at 20 years old dragging collegiate players while clearly being the best player on the floor LOL and then one again in 1992.

He was 33 going on 34 in that 1996 Olympics. Why would he have needed to be out there?

If he was however. That would

Hey Yo
07-16-2019, 07:09 PM
No digging at all. Couldnt remember if he played in 96 Olympics and came across that article.

Sorry to burst your bubble, chico

Real Men Wear Green
07-16-2019, 07:16 PM
No digging at all. Couldnt remember if he played in 96 Olympics and came across that article.

Sorry to burst your bubble, chico
Oh come on, how could you not know that MJ didn't play in '96? Any knowledgeable basketball fan...

oh wait, nevermind.

sdot_thadon
07-16-2019, 07:20 PM
Seems like the only one scenario where there's a problem with history lessons in an nba forum......

SomeBlackDude
07-16-2019, 07:34 PM
If you read the article, he basically regrets playing in the 92 Olympics (in his prime) due to "grueling season" and the toll it took on his body.

Imagine how hard it was on the body and mind blowing out teams by 50. :oldlol:

imagine 'winning' a bronze medal in the olympics.

http://espn.go.com/photo/2012/0813/oly_g_jamesbronze_gb1_200.jpg

https://live.staticflickr.com/3737/10989598456_c443f64419.jpg

paksat
07-16-2019, 07:50 PM

LOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL

I wouldn't play in the olympics for usa if I was in the nba

used to be a dream of mine but risking a season ending injury for some metal object?

yah no

ClipperRevival
07-16-2019, 07:56 PM

You gotta be beta AF to settle for bronze as member of team USA. PATHETIC. :yaohappy:

paksat
07-17-2019, 01:31 AM
You gotta be beta AF to settle for bronze as member of team USA. PATHETIC. :yaohappy:

BUMP

kblaze sticky request

bullettooth
07-17-2019, 01:57 AM

Is that when LeBronze became his nickname?

Phoenix
07-17-2019, 06:31 AM
I'm always curious as to what drives the thought process behind creating threads like this. And I don't mean about MJ specifically.

It's like.... I've probably made about 5 topics in totality, and all of them were probably centered around player highlights, or picking out a specific game from the past so the younger posters could watch some of the older stars in action. But a topic like this? Someone has to literally be sitting there thinking 'hmmm since I like posting about how MJ wasn't mentally tough, lemme go get an article about an event he missed out on 23 years ago.'

I mean it garnered responses, so mission accomplished in terms of attracting the desired attention. It's just a bit high on my weirdness meter.

sdot_thadon
07-17-2019, 08:16 AM
I'm always curious as to what drives the thought process behind creating threads like this. And I don't mean about MJ specifically.

It's like.... I've probably made about 5 topics in totality, and all of them were probably centered around player highlights, or picking out a specific game from the past so the younger posters could watch some of the older stars in action. But a topic like this? Someone has to literally be sitting there thinking 'hmmm since I like posting about how MJ wasn't mentally tough, lemme go get an article about an event he missed out on 23 years ago.'

I mean it garnered responses, so mission accomplished in terms of attracting the desired attention. It's just a bit high on my weirdness meter.
I haven't made many topics here either but i see stuff like this as teachable moments. Most of this board is trolling/comparing players. We've got tons of fans that scream from the top of buildings "my guy is blank!" "he'd never do blank!" When they have no clue what they are talking about because their guy has done it, they probably just weren't privy to it.:oldlol: So it's really little known info that kinda debunks things people do to tear down players. It would be nice if we could have these discussions while appreciating all parties, but that isn't possible here as it usually devolves to mud slinging by the 2nd reply. So chalk this up to typical ish mud slinging.

I will say this however: if it's true and something not widely known, is there really a problem learning something new about something you thought you knew everything about?

E_Stamkos
07-17-2019, 08:19 AM

Simple.

OP is a loser who would vape Lebron's toilet water before contributing anything of value to this board, let alone society.

Inb4 he tries to take stance that this thread has nothing to do with LBJ. No bitch, everything you do on here is related.

Phoenix
07-17-2019, 08:33 AM
I haven't made many topics here either but i see stuff like this as teachable moments. Most of this board is trolling/comparing players. We've got tons of fans that scream from the top of buildings "my guy is blank!" "he'd never do blank!" When they have no clue what they are talking about because their guy has done it, they probably just weren't privy to it.:oldlol: So it's really little known info that kinda debunks things people do to tear down players. It would be nice if we could have these discussions while appreciating all parties, but that isn't possible here as it usually devolves to mud slinging by the 2nd reply. So chalk this up to typical ish mud slinging.

I will say this however: if it's true and something not widely known, is there really a problem learning something new about something you thought you knew everything about?

That's fine if this post was created with good intent to teach something new, and not to troll. The OP's post history is filled with 'MJ quit' themed posts so this falls in line with his general schtick. You've already dismissed it as mudslinging so I think we agree about the underlying intent. I mean it's whatever, whatever tickles one's groin at night. FWIW you and I have had a few light debates but it's never been done without respect for the other side, so it is possible, just rare for this site.

This really is one of the worst boards for actually discussing basketball because few people can actually make a point without tearing down the other player. I genuinely wonder how many people here made it through the English module that teaches how to construct an argument.

Manny98
07-17-2019, 09:05 AM
He was physically and mentally exhausted after his 3rd ring

Yet you got folks on here acting like he would have won 8 straight if he didn't retire :roll:

The delusion from these MJ stans is on a whole other level

Manny98
07-17-2019, 09:09 AM
Simple.

OP is a loser who would vape Lebron's toilet water before contributing anything of value to this board, let alone society.

Inb4 he tries to take stance that this thread has nothing to do with LBJ. No bitch, everything you do on here is related.
Imagine being this insecure :roll: :roll:

Nothing from the OP even mentions LeBron and your losing your mind

Phoenix
07-17-2019, 09:12 AM
He was physically and mentally exhausted after his 3rd ring

Yet you got folks on here acting like he would have won 8 straight if he didn't retire :roll:

The delusion from these MJ stans is on a whole other level

You can't avoid being stupid, can you? What would happen if you just....stepped back from the keyboard for a day?

Manny98
07-17-2019, 09:29 AM
You can't avoid being stupid, can you? What would happen if you just....stepped back from the keyboard for a day?
He literally said that he was burnt out from basketball after his first 3-peat

"But 8 straight championships doe" **** outta here

Phoenix
07-17-2019, 09:34 AM
He literally said that he was burnt out from basketball after his first 3-peat

"But 8 straight championships doe" **** outta here

Just for a day, think you can handle it? The topic is whatever, but you're in danger of popping a blood vessel. Step away, get out on the boat and smell the
Pacific salt air.

Manny98
07-17-2019, 09:37 AM
Just for a day, think you can handle it? The topic is whatever, but you're in danger of popping a blood vessel. Step away, get out on the boat and smell the
Pacific salt air.
I'm laughing at the stupidity and delusion from you MJ stans :roll:

I thought Kobe fans were bad :oldlol:

Phoenix
07-17-2019, 09:43 AM
I'm laughing at the stupidity and delusion from you MJ stans :roll:

I thought Kobe fans were bad :oldlol:

So no.

Manny98
07-17-2019, 09:55 AM
8 peat? :roll: :roll: :roll:

Phoenix
07-17-2019, 09:56 AM
8 peat? :roll: :roll: :roll:

So no.

Trollsmasher
07-17-2019, 10:01 AM
Jordan just didn't have the mentality to grind things out

He was a great frontrunner but when the things got tough he folded

There's a reason he never won a series as the underdog

Manny98
07-17-2019, 10:02 AM
So no.
So no what?

You idol would not have eight peated if he didn't retire accept it

Phoenix
07-17-2019, 10:03 AM
So no what?

'So no' you can't avoid being stupid for a day and stepping away from the keyboard. Clearly you're too dumb to follow the last few posts if you couldn't figure that out.

Manny98
07-17-2019, 10:05 AM
So because I don't think that MJ would have 8 peated if he didn't retire im dumb lol ok

Phoenix
07-17-2019, 10:16 AM
So because I don't think that MJ would have 8 peated if he didn't retire im dumb lol ok

No, 8000 posts worth of mostly trolling nonsense says you're intellectually handicapped. Dumb may be an oversimplification.

Manny98
07-17-2019, 10:18 AM
No, 8000 posts worth of mostly trolling nonsense says you're intellectually handicapped. Dumb may be an oversimplification.
No I just don't gargle Michael Jordans ******** 24/7 like the rest of y'all :oldlol:

bullettooth
07-17-2019, 10:25 AM
So no what?

Better to lose 6 finals than win 8 or 6?

Phoenix
07-17-2019, 10:29 AM
No I just don't gargle Michael Jordans ******** 24/7 like the rest of y'all :oldlol:

No, you just gargle's Lebron's ******* and then pretend that you don't care about him when just about all your posts talk about him, or MJ in reference to him. :lol

Manny98
07-17-2019, 10:32 AM
Better to lose 6 finals than win 8 or 6?
Better to make the finals 11 times and win 4-5 than making only 6 finals

Manny98
07-17-2019, 10:34 AM
No, you just gargle's Lebron's ******* and then pretend that you don't care about him when just about all your posts talk about him, or MJ in reference to him. :lol
I haven't mentioned LeBron in weeks only in response to you insecure MJ ****s keep bringing him up in every thread... Like this one

guy
07-17-2019, 10:37 AM

What if you won all 6?

Phoenix
07-17-2019, 10:39 AM
I haven't mentioned LeBron in weeks only in response to you insecure MJ ****s keep bringing him up in every thread... Like this one

The reasons for why you brought him up are irrelevant. The reality is you're a one note poster. You talk about Lebron, or you talk about Lebron in relation to MJ. You offer nothing else,about any basketball related topic, that doesn't directly or indirectly involve one of those two. You say that insecure stans keep bringing him up, but the OP isn't an insecure MJ stan. You saw the name Jordan, and right on queue you jumped in the thread like someone dangling a shiny thing in front of a cat, to talk your usual bullshit. My first post in here had nothing to do with MJ directly, I asked what drives people to just randomly think up these kinds of threads.

Wally450
07-17-2019, 10:40 AM
He ducked the Rockets during his first retirement.

Manny98
07-17-2019, 10:47 AM
The reasons for why you brought him up are irrelevant. The reality is you're a one note poster. You talk about Lebron, or you talk about Lebron in relation to MJ. You offer nothing else,about any basketball related topic, that doesn't directly or indirectly involve one of those two. You say that insecure stans keep bringing him up, but the OP isn't an insecure MJ stan. You saw the name Jordan, and right on queue you jumped in the thread like someone dangling a shiny thing in front of a cat, to talk your usual bullshit. My first post in here had nothing to do with MJ directly, I asked what drives people to just randomly think up these kinds of threads.
It's hard not to talk about MJ or LeBron when 90% of threads made here are to do with those 2 players

Phoenix
07-17-2019, 11:16 AM
It's hard not to talk about MJ or LeBron when 90% of threads made here are to do with those 2 players

And even that being said, this prevents from you representing your views in a more intelligent manner? I mean we all engage in a little light trolling from time to time, but I don't think I've ever seen a post from you that wasn't something I expect from a 10 year old.

Manny98
07-17-2019, 11:23 AM
And even that being said, this prevents from you representing your views in a more intelligent manner? I mean we all engage in a little light trolling from time to time, but I don't think I've ever seen a post from you that wasn't something I expect from a 10 year old.
Why do you never say anything towards the constant anti-lebron trolling but the second someone criticises MJ you lose your shit?

Phoenix
07-17-2019, 11:28 AM
Why do you never say anything towards the constant anti-lebron trolling but the second someone criticises MJ you lose your shit?

I've spoken about the trolling on this board in general on many occasions, and not just about any one specific player. It's all stupid to me, but you position yourself in the 'I want attention!' dumbest way possible. I actually RARELY criticize Lebron and if I do it's rooted in an actual debate, not trolling bullshit. And if it's a troll, it's only to counter other trolling. So we're all here stuck in an endlessly stupid cycle of troll/counter-troll, when we could all be having a much better discussion. But then the board would lose its reason to exist because it's clearly run on the premise of traffic garnered through dumb hot-takes, and not genuine discussion.

bullettooth
07-17-2019, 11:29 AM

:lol

You have to resort to lies to feel good about yourself?

6/6 > 3*/9

Get that through your head.

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
07-17-2019, 11:34 AM
Jordan had already competed in 84 and 92.

There was no need to play in a third Olympics. Matter of fact, I don't think any superstar has.

guy
07-17-2019, 11:44 AM

There was no need to play in a third Olympics. Matter of fact, I don't think any superstar has.

David Robinson, Lebron, and Melo. No surprise though, in each case they wasted their first Olympics embarrassingly losing and winning Bronze. Melo actually played in 4, probably cause he was playing completely irrelevant NBA basketball for the last few years of his career.

Other then those 3, no one opted to play a 3rd. There

Phoenix
07-17-2019, 12:12 PM
[QUOTE=guy]David Robinson, Lebron, and Melo. No surprise though, in each case they wasted their first Olympics embarrassingly losing and winning Bronze. Melo actually played in 4, probably cause he was playing completely irrelevant NBA basketball for the last few years of his career.

Other then those 3, no one opted to play a 3rd. There

Hey Yo
07-17-2019, 12:12 PM

I never criticized him for not choosing to play. My point was that he always brings up mental and physical fatigue. That was his main emphasis on why he chose not to in 1996 but I find it hard to believe in 1992 that it was so physically mentally draining for him and so grueling in route to beating teams by 50 fvcking points a game.

8 games played and the Final scores were

116-48
103-70
111-68
127-83
122-81
115-77
127-76
117-85 -Gold Medal game.

Now tell me how that would be mentally and physically draining with a team full of stars? If it took that big of toll on MJ, then sorry, that's soft as fvck and that goes for anyone on that team making the same claim.

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
07-17-2019, 12:26 PM
David Robinson, Lebron, and Melo. No surprise though, in each case they wasted their first Olympics embarrassingly losing and winning Bronze. Melo actually played in 4, probably cause he was playing completely irrelevant NBA basketball for the last few years of his career.

Other then those 3, no one opted to play a 3rd. There’s been multiple players over the years that opted against playing in FIBA.

Might as well be 2, right? lol

I wont criticize someone NOT playing in multiple olympics. I'll give them credit for playing in 4 though, and winning 3 gold medals. Props to Melo.

Phoenix
07-17-2019, 12:29 PM

I wont criticize someone NOT playing in multiple olympics. I'll give them credit for playing in 4 though, and winning 3 gold medals. Props to Melo.

80% of the reason he gets into the hall will be for his Olympics participation. The other 20% will be split between all-star appearances, scoring titles and career scoring numbers.

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
07-17-2019, 12:35 PM
I never criticized him for not choosing to play. My point was that he always brings up mental and physical fatigue. That was his main emphasis on why he chose not to in 1996 but I find it hard to believe in 1992 that it was so physically mentally draining for him and so grueling in route to beating teams by 50 fvcking points a game.

116-48
103-70
111-68
127-83
122-81
115-77
127-76
117-85 -Gold Medal game.

Now tell me how that would be mentally and physically draining with a team full of stars? If it took that big of toll on MJ, then sorry, that's soft as fvck and that goes for anyone on that team making the same claim.

At the time, Jordan was the guy playing until June. Probably the GOAT basketball player from 1989-1993 and 1996. Leading his team to a 3-peat, and then winning the most regular-season games with another deep playoff run and championship.

I don't know how he felt.

I wont sit here and call him "soft as ****" like you though. That's goofy talk.

After the 1992 Olympics, both Jordan and Pippen talked about fatigue. Objectively? All a fan can really go off of.

guy
07-17-2019, 12:35 PM

In Melo’s case he literally hadn’t played an important NBA game in 3 years at that point. In the last 6 seasons of his career he made the playoffs once as a role player. It’s pretty understandable him wanting to keep playing in 2016.

It’s also understandable why guys that continuously make deep playoff runs like Jordan, Lebron, Wade, Kobe, etc wouldn’t want to. It also goes to show that players don’t really value the accomplishment that much if they don’t continuously do it every chance they get.

guy
07-17-2019, 12:40 PM

116-48
103-70
111-68
127-83
122-81
115-77
127-76
117-85 -Gold Medal game.

:oldlol: who the **** are you to call any pro athlete soft for being fatigued?

SomeBlackDude
07-17-2019, 03:21 PM

116-48
103-70
111-68
127-83
122-81
115-77
127-76
117-85 -Gold Medal game.

takes a lot of effort to score that many points while completely shutting down the opposition (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j86xZvW5zJw).

probably shoulda just gotten blown out by the likes of puerto rico like lebronze did (https://www.basketball-reference.com/olympics/games/2004-08-15-USA-PUR/).

i'm sure lepatriots were nice and refreshed after that olympics.

:yaohappy:

Manny98
07-17-2019, 05:52 PM
What if you won all 6?
Only 6 finals appearances pathetic

The GOAT standard is at least 8 finals appearances

Manny98
07-17-2019, 05:54 PM
I've spoken about the trolling on this board in general on many occasions, and not just about any one specific player. It's all stupid to me, but you position yourself in the 'I want attention!' dumbest way possible. I actually RARELY criticize Lebron and if I do it's rooted in an actual debate, not trolling bullshit. And if it's a troll, it's only to counter other trolling. So we're all here stuck in an endlessly stupid cycle of troll/counter-troll, when we could all be having a much better discussion. But then the board would lose its reason to exist because it's clearly run on the premise of traffic garnered through dumb hot-takes, and not genuine discussion.
Your a troll yourself

Phoenix
07-17-2019, 06:13 PM
Your a troll yourself

Ok.

:rolleyes: Just.....go play out in rush hour or something. Not even your mother back at the fishing village would notice if you didn't return.

Manny98
07-17-2019, 06:18 PM
Ok.

:rolleyes: Just.....go play out in rush hour or something. Not even your mother back at the fishing village would notice if you didn't return.
Kareem,Russell,LeBron and Magic all got to the finals at least 8 times

Why couldn't MJ :confusedshrug:

And1AllDay
07-17-2019, 06:23 PM

issa wrap

goat standard should be at least 7

russell had 12
kareem had 10
magic had 9
lebron had 9
kobe has 7

mike has...6 :( (no pip no chip)

why did mike lose in the 1st round so much poor fella :oldlol:

guess pippen saved his legacy

And1AllDay
07-17-2019, 06:34 PM
Never heard that one Op. Add it to the archives. What's hilarious to see is damage control stans lining up anytime a non commercialized take or story about Mj is revealed. You guys gotta be better than this as hard as many of you are on current players.

b-b-b-b-b-b i am so tired after 3 finals in a row :cry: :eek:

guy
07-17-2019, 06:57 PM

What is this loser-mentality where people give a **** about final appearances? :oldlol: is it the equivalent of the all-star game where the accomplishment is just making it and these all time greats should just be happy to be there?

I get the argument that Lebron shouldn

Phoenix
07-17-2019, 08:16 PM

And only Russell ended up with more titles? :confusedshrug:

Kareem and Magic getting to the finals aren't mutually exclusive achievements, but a 5 year old would know that.

Manny98
07-18-2019, 05:12 AM
And only Russell ended up with more titles? :confusedshrug:

Kareem and Magic getting to the finals aren't mutually exclusive achievements, but a 5 year old would know that.
Only 6 finals appearances lol :oldlol:

Imagine being the GOAT and only appearing on the biggest stage only 6 times :roll:

brutalBBQ
07-18-2019, 06:08 AM
Only 6 finals appearances lol :oldlol:

Imagine being the GOAT and only appearing on the biggest stage only 6 times :roll:
So your arguement is that if MJ had of appeared in 9 finals, won 6 and lost 3 he would be the GOAT?
As opposed to Lebrons 3 wins and 6 losses but he is the GOAT?

nayte
07-18-2019, 06:43 AM
I might be wrong but I figured he just used that excuse just cause he didn't want to play. He is considered to have one of the biggest motors ever. Dunno maybe he had casino's to visit lol

Manny98
07-18-2019, 07:10 AM
So your arguement is that if MJ had of appeared in 9 finals, won 6 and lost 3 he would be the GOAT?
As opposed to Lebrons 3 wins and 6 losses but he is the GOAT?
Sorry but the GOAT standard is minimum 8 finals appearances.

MJ was only able to take his team to the finals 6 times which unfortunately doesn't cut it.

Phoenix
07-18-2019, 07:21 AM
Sorry but the GOAT standard is minimum 8 finals appearances.

MJ was only able to take his team to the finals 6 times which unfortunately doesn't cut it.

Really? West went to the finals 9 times and lost 8 times. So you're saying Jerry West is a top 5 player then on account of finals appearances regardless of the result? No, I didn't think so. So let's try this again since you failed to adequately reply before:

And only Russell ended up with more titles?

Also, your reply to BrutalBBQ was bullshit too so let's progress past the potty stage and put your bigboy pants on with your replies, mmmkay babyboi?

Manny98
07-18-2019, 07:44 AM
5 rings and 10 finals appearances is more impressive than 6 rings and only 6 finals appearances

Kareem is the GOAT simple as that

LostCause
07-18-2019, 07:49 AM
GOAT standard = Winning a championship almost 50% of your career (Minimum 14 years)

Jordan’s at about 41%. LeBrons at about 18%.

Though if it makes yal feel better, Finals appearances and losing at least counts as 2nd place. So if we judge by that, West is the GOAT 2nd place finisher

Manny98
07-18-2019, 07:57 AM
[QUOTE=LostCause]GOAT standard = Winning a championship almost 50% of your career (Minimum 14 years)

Jordan

Phoenix
07-18-2019, 07:58 AM
5 rings and 10 finals appearances is more impressive than 6 rings and only 6 finals appearances

Kareem is the GOAT simple as that

The GOAT club has very stringent requirements, namely that a card-carrying member have minimum 5 rings, 5 MVPS and 5 finals MVPs.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/41p6VwVr9FL.jpg

https://cdn1.thecomeback.com/crossoverchronicles/wp-content/uploads/sites/18/2012/09/bill-russell-wearing-rings-091412.jpg

https://cdn.gomcgill.com/100428/uploads/ea31a8b0-3d03-11e9-8050-b5bf7f94ee62_800_420.png

No exceptions, sorry.

:lebroncry:

LostCause
07-18-2019, 08:03 AM
Robert Horry 44% i guess he's the GOAT :confusedshrug:

Reeeeeaaaaccchhh

By your

Manny98
07-18-2019, 08:06 AM
https://i.postimg.cc/0Nnxv5yD/212f34ad5902fd1b96215a823b612249.jpg

Manny98
07-18-2019, 08:09 AM
[QUOTE=LostCause]Reeeeeaaaaccchhh

By your

LostCause
07-18-2019, 08:10 AM

The Robert Horry argument is a sign of running out of rebuttals and shifting the goalposts (The focus is on GOAT candidates, not role players).

But continue. What

Phoenix
07-18-2019, 08:16 AM

The GOAT club has very stringent requirements, namely that a card-carrying member have minimum 5 rings, 5 MVPS and 5 finals MVPs.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/41p6VwVr9FL.jpg

https://cdn1.thecomeback.com/crossoverchronicles/wp-content/uploads/sites/18/2012/09/bill-russell-wearing-rings-091412.jpg

https://cdn.gomcgill.com/100428/uploads/ea31a8b0-3d03-11e9-8050-b5bf7f94ee62_800_420.png

No exceptions, sorry.

:lebroncry:

Does Robert Horry have 5 MVPs and Finals MVPs? No? We're sorry but..

http://d2e70e9yced57e.cloudfront.net/edu/images/posts/13391/credit-card-application-declined.jpg

Manny98
07-18-2019, 08:18 AM
Because only Kareem has the combination of everything he ticks all of the GOAT criteria :applause:

Championships - check
GOAT peak play - check
Longevity - check
Individual accolades - check
Dominant on both ends - check
Only Kareem ticks all 5 boxes :hammertime:

MJ stans in shambles :lol

bullettooth
07-18-2019, 09:42 AM

Lemme tear you a new asshole;

Suppose we use your logic that most rings defines who's the GOAT and we list only legit all-time HOF greats. We thus have a greatest ever list that consists of the following:

1. Bill Russell - 11 rings
2. Sam Jones - 10 rings
3. John Havlicek - 8 rings
4. Michael Jordan - 6 rings
5. Kareem Abdul-Jabbar - 6 rings
6. Scottie Pippen - 6 rings
7. Bob Cousy - 6 rings
8. Magic Johnson - 5 rings
9. Kobe Bryant - 5 rings
10. Tim Duncan - 5 rings
11. George Mikan - 5 rings
12. Robert Parish - 4 rings
13. Shaq - 4 rings

And then finally coming in at 14... LeBron James with only 3 rings. Same as Larry Bird. Who I'd take over LeBron any day.

But since you're a troll and like to include guys like Robert Horry in the list, then LeBron doesn't show up at all on the list until #28:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_NBA_players_with_most_championships

Have a nice day!

Manny98
07-18-2019, 09:51 AM
Wait... Kareem has 6 rings and 6 MVPs and much better longevity compared to Jordan :biggums:

How is Jordan the GOAT, man hasn't even surpassed Kareem :oldlol:

Elosha
07-18-2019, 01:05 PM
^Cool, you can have Kareem at number 1, there's a plausible argument for him, although being no. 2 option for many of his rings hurts his case. However, if you have Kareem as number 1, based on your criteria, it puts your idol even farther down the list behind MJ, Kareem and probably others. You're shooting yourself and your agenda-driven posts in in the foot. :confusedshrug:

LostCause
07-18-2019, 01:12 PM
Because only Kareem has the combination of everything he ticks all of the GOAT criteria :applause:

Championships - check
GOAT peak play - check
Longevity - check
Individual accolades - check
Dominant on both ends - check

That moment you realize Jordan checks all 5 boxes too, in addition to being his teams unquestioned best player all the time �� No second option rings on that resume

Guess who doesn’t though, with only 3 chips ��

Phoenix
07-18-2019, 01:20 PM
^Cool, you can have Kareem at number 1, there's a plausible argument for him, although being no. 2 option for many of his rings hurts his case. However, if you have Kareem as number 1, based on your criteria, it puts your idol even farther down the list behind MJ, Kareem and probably others. You're shooting yourself and your agenda-driven posts in in the foot. :confusedshrug:

The funny thing is, most *rational* MJ fans( and even non-fans) think Kareem as GOAT isn't a ridiculous notion, or Russell for that matter. Certainly not as ridiculous as saying Lebron is for the rationale I see applied on this dumbass board. I don't even have a GOAT, I have a tier system.

Manny98
07-18-2019, 05:57 PM
[QUOTE=LostCause]That moment you realize Jordan checks all 5 boxes too, in addition to being his teams unquestioned best player all the time �� No second option rings on that resume

Guess who doesn

LostCause
07-18-2019, 06:16 PM
Nope MJ doesn't pass in the longevity category :no:

Absolutely does :lol

15 years isn't "longevity" now?

Manny98
07-18-2019, 06:21 PM
Absolutely does :lol

14.5 years isn't "longevity" now?
It's not GOAT longevity, nikka retired 3 times ffs the most consecutive years he played was 9 :roll:

Kareem shits on MJ in the longevity category even LeBron has already passed MJ in longevity and he's still got 4 years left

LostCause
07-18-2019, 06:33 PM
It's not GOAT longevity, nikka retired 3 times ffs the most consecutive years he played was 9 :roll:

Kareem shits on MJ in the longevity category even LeBron has already passed MJ in longevity and he's still got 4 years left

So what? Didn't say Jordan had the best longevity, but 10-12+ years of GOAT-level play is clearly qualified to check the "longevity" category. Jordan played 15 seasons

He checks all those boxes :dancin

Manny98
07-18-2019, 06:37 PM
No he only played 14 full seasons. He missed pretty much the entirety of the 95 and 86 seasons

Sorry but only 14 good seasons is not GOAT standard

Kareem played 20 LeBrons going into his 17th

Phoenix
07-18-2019, 06:41 PM
So what? Didn't say Jordan had the best longevity, but 10-12+ years of GOAT-level play is clearly qualified to check the "longevity" category. Jordan played 15 seasons

He checks all those boxes :dancin

Jordan was the best player on every team he played on, even at 40, over 15 years. Kareem gave up that mantle 3 years before he retired, and the Lakers still won. The best version of the showtime Lakers, 87, Magic and Worthy were options 1 and 2.

LostCause
07-18-2019, 07:00 PM
No he only played 14 full seasons. He missed pretty much the entirety of the 95 and 86 seasons

Sorry but only 14 good seasons is not GOAT standard

Kareem played 20 LeBrons going into his 17th

You have Kareem checking off the "Championships" box and he only won 6, much lower than Russell's 11

There's no logical way Kareem can check off that category when his championships are so much lower than Russell's but Jordan can't check off longevity because his seasons played are lower than Kareems

Not only that but you're killing the LeBron fam here. You basically eliminated him from the championships discussion so he's at best 4/5 without even an argument to be 5/5, whereas Jordan is at worst 4/5 with a strong argument for 5/5

This is all using the random and stupid categories YOU MADE UP, btw lmao

Manny98
07-18-2019, 07:10 PM
Russell played in a league where their were like 5 legitimate teams :oldlol:

His 11 rings only translate to like 6 in the modern era

I know LeBron is 4/5 he would be only the second player to pass 5/5 if he gets 5 rings and because LeBron would have like double the first option rings as Kareem he'd be GOAT

LostCause
07-18-2019, 07:46 PM
Russell played in a league where their were like 5 legitimate teams :oldlol:

His 11 rings only translate to like 6 in the modern era

I know LeBron is 4/5 he would be only the second player to pass 5/5 if he gets 5 rings and because LeBron would have like double the first option rings as Kareem he'd be GOAT

:biggums: All these hoops you jump through. I thought it was simply who checks categories. So now we have to resort to random and made up "translations" of what these categories mean today? So what do Kareems 4 MVP's and 1 championship from the 70s which is widely regarded as the WORST era of basketball translate to today?

Bro just admit you're confused by your own shit. Jordan checks all 5 and that bothers the **** outta you :lol

Manny98
07-18-2019, 07:50 PM
Imagine only playing 14 full seasons and taking two breaks (retirements) in between and thinking that's GOAT longevity:roll: :roll:

Imagine LeBron deciding to take a two year break after KD joined the Warriors that's essentially what MJ did :roll:

Vino24
07-18-2019, 07:53 PM
Imagine only playing 14 full seasons and taking two breaks (retirements) in between and thinking that's GOAT longevity:roll: :roll:

Imagine LeBron deciding to take a two year break after KD joined the Warriors that's essentially what MJ did :roll:
MJ ducked Hakeem

Manny98
07-18-2019, 08:04 PM
MJ ducked Hakeem
Yep literally ran from his toughest competition and came back as soon as the league got weak again pathetic :roll:

Leviathon1121
07-18-2019, 08:07 PM
These guys are so mad that Jordan is still far and away the consensus GOAT. :lol

LostCause
07-18-2019, 08:12 PM
MJ ducked Hakeem? So MJ chose to come back to a team barely playing .500 basketball the year after Hakeem wins DPOY, MVP and a Championship in the same season because he was afraid? What lol

You dudes lose more brain cells daily lmao

SamuraiSWISH
07-19-2019, 04:33 AM
These guys are so mad that Jordan is still far and away the consensus GOAT. :lol
Basically. Reality is hitting them like a harsh sober morning after Smokee117 goes on an angry, bourbon soaked bender.

brutalBBQ
07-19-2019, 06:42 AM
Basically. Reality is hitting them like a harsh sober morning after Smokee117 goes on an angry, bourbon soaked bender.
Truth,
Jordan gambled millions, drank gallons, had literally more millage of pvssy than a Toyota Camry , Lebron kept in peak physical shape, cucked to one woman , dabbled in identity politics and sips wine. Lebrons legacy is a banana boat in the Bahamas :lol

brutalBBQ
07-19-2019, 06:54 AM
Imagine being a gambling booze hound with a selection of hot women whenever, wherever whilst being considered the best basketball player of all time and having the most recognized and successful sneaker brand in the history of planet earth.

Now imagine being the second coming of that legacy, constantly underachieving, due to the lack of sheer respect you command a scrub on your team makes sweet love to your mother, you're so emotionally embarrassed you force him to get kicked from your team but the league has already invested so much into your brand you switch teams to try and consolidate your shortcomings whilst heavily reliant on a professional team to doctor your public perception and a medical team to ensure you're some sort of half human demigod only to be short changed by losing the silver spoons handed to you 66% of the time.

SpaceJam2
11-24-2019, 06:48 PM

Mentally weak

6 cracker jack rings

hiphopanonymous
11-24-2019, 06:57 PM
:oldlol: