PDA

View Full Version : Andre Drummond, Deandre Jordan, Clint Capela, Steven Adams. Guys like that.

Kblaze8855
07-20-2019, 06:14 AM
How do you feel about them? The guys who will play some D(but often less than their reputation), pull down 12-20 rebounds(Adams would minus boxing out for Westbrook I suspect), miss half their free throws, shoot 65%, score 12-17 a game if they have a good connection with their teams primary ball handler, set nice screens, and occasionally posterize someone on a lob or "How did he even get there?" drive from 18 feet.

You could throw last few years Dwight in there too I guess....but not Orlando Dwight. Tyson Chandler in his day.

I think the guy who epitomizes this type currently is Andre Drummond.

Hes put up like 15/15 over the last 5 years. I think hes coming off like a 17/16 season or something wild like that.

Generally speaking nobody gives a ****. I remember Doc hyping Deandre up like some modern day Bill Russell potential type....and they all get paid....but.....do YOU care?

Related....

Deandre Jordan shooting over 70% from the line last year is one of the most impressive things in recent memory to me. Not that he can make 70% as an nba player....but getting past the mental block that is the only reason all these types suck at the line in games when they ALL can shoot in practice.

I think he deserves more props for that.

Doesnt mean I want him on the Bulls....im just saying. Respect is due.

DaHeezy
07-20-2019, 06:23 AM
These guys are scary to play against so of course having them on your team would be an asset. To a lesser extent Aron Baynes. You utilize them to sacrifice the body and make life easy for your primary scorer. I love Steven Adams. I'll take him on my team all day.

Kblaze8855
07-20-2019, 06:28 AM
Steven Adams might be my favorite center in the league right now. I cant put my finger on why.....I just....**** with that guy. If Paul stays there till mid December when the 40% of the NBA not currently able to be traded can be moved to make it easier to trade him....I think Adams puts up 18/13 till then.

JEFFERSON MONEY
07-20-2019, 06:33 AM
Tough, scrappy rebounders?

Very good asset to teams. Good compliment to perimeter oriented teams.

Xiao Yao You
07-20-2019, 06:42 AM
love Adams too.

Kblaze8855
07-20-2019, 06:46 AM
^
Your presence reminded me. Rudy Gobert. I guess hes one of those guys. On the upper end of them but I dont envy the pposition the Jazz are gonna be in when his agent asks for 250 million dollars.

Xiao Yao You
07-20-2019, 06:55 AM
^
Your presence reminded me. Rudy Gobert. I guess hes one of those guys. On the upper end of them but I dont envy the pposition the Jazz are gonna be in when his agent asks for 250 million dollars.

Going to be an interesting couple of years. Conley and Ingles will both be free agents that summer too and Mitchell will probably get a max contract extension next year while Bojan will still be owed a couple more years. O'Neale will get paid next summer as well. Winning will make things easier

MrFonzworth
07-20-2019, 07:08 AM
Adams setting screens for CP3 is a scary thought. If Paul has some juice left they can surprise some people. Him and Roberson will be a hell of a defensive backcourt as well.

ScalsFan21
07-20-2019, 07:12 AM
These guys are generally assets to any title-contending team. The most valuable things a big can do for you are defend and rebound. I think Drummond is the worst player you just listed in terms of impact, and it's because he's the worst real life defender (misleading stats aside), while also demanding more touches than he would EVER get on a team capable of being great.

Dwight Howard even at his best was always a losing player. Rudy Gobert is the antithesis of that; his playstyle would never get in the way of success.

While we're on the subject, Dirk Nowitzki will be the last big man to win a title as his team's most ball-dominant player, at least for the foreseeable future.

Kblaze8855
07-20-2019, 07:34 AM
While I get what youre saying....I dont think Dirk had the ball all that much around then. He scored like half his points on down screens from whatever guard was standing inconspicuously at the foul line back then.

90sgoat
07-20-2019, 08:09 AM
History say they win championships:

Ben Wallace
Tyson Chandler
Andrew Bogut

You could also add someone like Luc Longley who was massive at 7-2lbs and probably close to 300lbs.

Then of course, the big centers who rebound and play defense, but also score:

David Robinson in his last ring, was basically this kind of center (10rpg and 2bpg pr. 36 at age 37). Duncan in his last season before injury was a highly effective DPOY quality center. Shaq of course, but notably, Shaq was less effective in old age, because he didn't really care about playing defense.

You could add old Patrick Ewing, also 15-10-2 pr. 36.

I'd say having such a center, a 15-10-2 strong defense, center is a big time boost for a team looking to contend. The stats prove it, but it really shows in the playoffs. Even a slacker like DeAndre Jordan was very important when Clips beat Spurs.

RRR3
07-20-2019, 12:01 PM
These guys are generally assets to any title-contending team. The most valuable things a big can do for you are defend and rebound. I think Drummond is the worst player you just listed in terms of impact, and it's because he's the worst real life defender (misleading stats aside), while also demanding more touches than he would EVER get on a team capable of being great.

Dwight Howard even at his best was always a losing player. Rudy Gobert is the antithesis of that; his playstyle would never get in the way of success.

While we're on the subject, Dirk Nowitzki will be the last big man to win a title as his team's most ball-dominant player, at least for the foreseeable future.
:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

jbryan1984
07-20-2019, 07:53 PM
I love all those guys. DAJ is on the decline but still good. Capela I believe we are still yet to see his ceiling.

Meticode
07-20-2019, 08:05 PM
Adams plays the center position like you want him too. He's big, he's tough as nails, he sits hard as screens and is physical, he's one of the best rebounders in the game, plays solid defense with soft touch around the rim. Doesn't demand the ball to impact the game.

bobopenguin
07-20-2019, 08:11 PM
i think there are at least 80% of GMs who would like to have Adams in their team.

NBAGOAT
07-20-2019, 08:11 PM
Adams has touch around the rim, I like him too and he could demand post touches on a bad team. He

AlternativeAcc.
07-20-2019, 10:13 PM
Adams is insanely overrated.

Can't believe there are people who think he's good. Being big strong and tough doesn't make you good at basketball. He has no flow, has to be spoon-fed baskets, is too slow and clunky to be a versatile defender, and doesn't have high bball IQ.

If he was any good the Thunder would've made it out of the 1st round this year. How come he couldn't exploit the Portland front court? He got bullied on both ends because he's too slow and stiff.

He's just a big guy who grabs easy boards and sets screens. He does stuff that requires no skill or brain power. He's a total scrub and doesn't impact the game much at all. He's on one of the worst contracts in the league.

Dude is gonna be making 30 million. Unfathomable.

Spurs m8
07-20-2019, 10:32 PM
Adam's is the best dude.

Plays tough and fair, great attitude on and off the court, and a great sense of humour.

Spurs m8
07-20-2019, 10:33 PM

Can't believe there are people who think he's good. Being big strong and tough doesn't make you good at basketball. He has no flow, has to be spoon-fed baskets, is too slow and clunky to be a versatile defender, and doesn't have high bball IQ.

If he was any good the Thunder would've made it out of the 1st round this year. How come he couldn't exploit the Portland front court? He got bullied on both ends because he's too slow and stiff.

He's just a big guy who grabs easy boards and sets screens. He does stuff that requires no skill or brain power. He's a total scrub and doesn't impact the game much at all. He's on one of the worst contracts in the league.

Oh look, another dumb fvck bron stan with a dumb fvck, one dimensional view on something.

So much cringe

NBAGOAT
07-20-2019, 10:35 PM

This is true too. He

Xiao Yao You
07-20-2019, 10:45 PM
Adams will be a lot better this year without Westbrook around

tpols
07-20-2019, 10:49 PM
None of them have any useful talent today besides steven Adams...

You can't be slow and plodding in today's league.. Imagine Drummond in a playoff series with James harden or some shit you just get spammed.

RRR3
07-20-2019, 11:03 PM
Adams will be a lot better this year without Westbrook around
:roll:

NBAGOAT
07-20-2019, 11:09 PM

You can't be slow and plodding in today's league.. Imagine Drummond in a playoff series with James harden or some shit you just get spammed.

Adams is by no means the fastest guy on the list however. Got burnt hard by Portland

RRR3
07-20-2019, 11:28 PM

Capela isn’t slow and plodding wtf

tpols
07-20-2019, 11:52 PM
[QUOTE=NBAGOAT]Adams is by no means the fastest guy on the list however. Got burnt hard by Portland

Manny98
07-21-2019, 07:13 AM
These type of players always tend to get overpaid

Jasper
07-21-2019, 09:44 AM
Steven Adams might be my favorite center in the league right now. I cant put my finger on why.....I just....**** with that guy. If Paul stays there till mid December when the 40% of the NBA not currently able to be traded can be moved to make it easier to trade him....I think Adams puts up 18/13 till then.
In your grouping - I like Adams as well.
Your point is these guys don't shoot the three , and some would pick Portland or Denver or Utahs center.

Right now I like Brook Lopez , cause he has survived bad feet , created a 3 pt shoot and still boards, and plays defense.

Old style centers will come back , it's just a matter of time, when the game evolves again.

imdaman99
07-21-2019, 10:58 AM
I like Adams. It's just that OKC never had enough shooting and consistent scoring around him. He needs to be a 4th-5th option. When he has to be 3rd option, your team will get exposed by better teams in the playoffs. Plus, any team with good quick guards expose him on defense in the PnR. Him having to guard Curry, Harden, DMitch, Lillard and CJ... it wasn't pretty. They can spam points easy on him, and it really is not his fault. He just isn't fast enough to stay in front of them.

Plus, Westbrook got him paid big time. He's not underrated, he's on a $100 million contract. Ask me again if getting paid to rebound and box out is worth $100 million.

Phoenix
07-21-2019, 11:03 AM
In your grouping - I like Adams as well.
Your point is these guys don't shoot the three , and some would pick Portland or Denver or Utahs center.

Right now I like Brook Lopez , cause he has survived bad feet , created a 3 pt shoot and still boards, and plays defense.

Old style centers will come back , it's just a matter of time, when the game evolves again.

Not so sure. Today's generation is influenced by the last. To say that tomorrow's center will revert to old school styles means they'd be completely ignoring the centers that preceded them and instead study the games of players who played well before they were born. Anyone born today and ends up a 7footer in the NBA in 2040 will see centers from the 70s/80s/90s as completely alien to them. Shit I expect a center to be shooting like Steph Curry in 2030. You already got a guy like Durant who's close to 7 feet and few in league history shoot better. He's the height of Bill Russell basically, but with the game of a player 5 inches shorter. Durant pretty much took Dirk and added in a small forward's game. That's where we are heading.

jayfan
07-21-2019, 12:14 PM
Not so sure. Today's generation is influenced by the last. To say that tomorrow's center will revert to old school styles means they'd be completely ignoring the centers that preceded them and instead study the games of players who played well before they were born. Anyone born today and ends up a 7footer in the NBA in 2040 will see centers from the 70s/80s/90s as completely alien to them. Shit I expect a center to be shooting like Steph Curry in 2030. You already got a guy like Durant who's close to 7 feet and few in league history shoot better. He's the height of Bill Russell basically, but with the game of a player 5 inches shorter. Durant pretty much took Dirk and added in a small forward's game. That's where we are heading.

If they move the line back, it will revert back the next day. The 3-pointer becomes a specialty shot again, and feeding the post/working for close shots becomes a prominent part of offenses again.

houston
07-24-2019, 05:28 AM
marc gasol to list too

dirkdiggler41
07-24-2019, 07:08 AM
I don't really like any of them. The reason why they are in the NBA is because of their size and athletic ability. I'm very happy that the NBA is moving away from less skillful players. They can set screens, block shots and dunk, but so could anyone with their bodies.

ps. Marc Gasol got skills, he does not belong in this group.

Kblaze8855
07-24-2019, 08:25 AM
I don't really like any of them. The reason why they are in the NBA is because of their size and athletic ability. I'm very happy that the NBA is moving away from less skillful players. They can set screens, block shots and dunk, but so could anyone with their bodies.

A lot of big athletes arent in the NBA making 100 million dollars. Think they just dont want to?

Dan Gadzuric was bigger and more athletic than Clint Capela. Still barely played then ended up in europe.

If all you needed were size and athletic ability to be a great defender or rebounder or go get 15-17ppg without having plays run for you a lot more people would do it. I dont think youre giving due credit to the motor, stamina, or skill rebounding, blocking shots, defending, and rolling hard to the basket and finishing require.

Too many good athletes cant do those things for me to buy it being purely physical. Ever watch Joakim Noah blow up pick and rolls?

Thats not athletic ability alone. Thats anticipation, court awareness, film study and timing. Its a skill you develop. We just dont choose to count it as much as the flashy ones when its just as required for your team to win.

Chandler wasnt skilled on offense.....but the 2011 Mavs dont win the title without him.

Eddy Curry was massive and mobile. And getting 6 rebounds a game and not protecting the basket. Theres something extra factoring in that it doesnt feel like youre counting.

dirkdiggler41
07-24-2019, 09:28 AM
A lot of big athletes arent in the NBA making 100 million dollars. Think they just dont want to?

Dan Gadzuric was bigger and more athletic than Clint Capela. Still barely played then ended up in europe.

If all you needed were size and athletic ability to be a great defender or rebounder or go get 15-17ppg without having plays run for you a lot more people would do it. I dont think youre giving due credit to the motor, stamina, or skill rebounding, blocking shots, defending, and rolling hard to the basket and finishing require.

Too many good athletes cant do those things for me to buy it being purely physical. Ever watch Joakim Noah blow up pick and rolls?

Thats not athletic ability alone. Thats anticipation, court awareness, film study and timing. Its a skill you develop. We just dont choose to count it as much as the flashy ones when its just as required for your team to win.

Chandler wasnt skilled on offense.....but the 2011 Mavs dont win the title without him.

Eddy Curry was massive and mobile. And getting 6 rebounds a game and not protecting the basket. Theres something extra factoring in that it doesnt feel like youre counting.

Sorry for the poor English.

I think you overrating the number of people out there with the size of those guys. Yes, they got some great fundamental skills, but if they were 6.5 they would not be in the NBA. In this video, https://www.ted.com/talks/david_epstein_are_athletes_really_getting_faster_b etter_stronger/transcript?language=en (7.58 mark), the talker says that if you are over 7 feet tall in America, the chance that you are in the NBA is 17%. How true that is, I'm not sure, but even if it is just 1,7% that would be incredible. Think about it, if you had a 1,7% of making it to the NBA you would train like a mother ducker considering how much money you could make.

I think those big guys are ruining the quality of the NBA because size is just so important that we never get to see top-notch skilled basketball on all 5 positions. That is why I love the UFC were you got weight classes. The skill you see in lightweight is beyond whatever you see in heavyweight.

So I hope the NBA keep doing what they are doing, making skill count more than size with rules changes and whatever it might be. I think it will make teams more balanced and take away the superstar culture we got today. Players will be forced to be good defenders because everyone can score. Today you can hide players like Curry on defense because of the lack of offensive talent.

Xiao Yao You
07-24-2019, 09:31 AM
Sorry for the poor English.

I think you overrating the number of people out there with the size of those guys. Yes, they got some great fundamental skills, but if they were 6.5 they would not be in the NBA. In this video, https://www.ted.com/talks/david_epstein_are_athletes_really_getting_faster_b etter_stronger/transcript?language=en (7.58 mark), the talker says that if you are over 7 feet tall in America, the chance that you are in the NBA is 17%. How true that is, I'm not sure, but even if it is just 1,7% that would be incredible. Think about it, if you had a 1,7% of making it to the NBA you would train like a mother ducker considering how much money you could make.

I think those big guys are ruining the quality of the NBA because size is just so important that we never get to see top-notch skilled basketball on all 5 positions. That is why I love the UFC were you got weight classes. The skill you see in lightweight is beyond whatever you see in heavyweight.

So I hope the NBA keep doing what they are doing, making skill count more than size with rules changes and whatever it might be. I think it will make teams more balanced and take away the superstar culture we got today. Players will be forced to be good defenders because everyone can score. Today you can hide players like Curry on defense because of the lack of offensive talent.

Everyone shooting 3's sounds horrible to me.

HaNdLe ThE RoCk
07-24-2019, 10:57 AM
DeAndre Jordan is trash now. Nets fans going to be asking for their money back once they watch him play the first few weeks of the season

Locked_Up_Tonight
07-24-2019, 11:32 AM
DeAndre Jordan is trash now. Nets fans going to be asking for their money back once they watch him play the first few weeks of the season

He ranks right up there with Danny Fortson as one of the most selfish players I have ever seen don a Mavs uniform.