PDA

View Full Version : Reasons why Barkley might be the greatest offensive player of all time

AussieSteve
07-26-2019, 02:07 AM
1. 28.3ppg on 16.0fga. 66.5%ts. 128 Ortg. GOAT efficiency for a volume scorer.

2. Sure, plenty of players scored more personally, but how many players did so while also lifting team mates to the extent that Barkley did?

Here's a list of players who scored more ppg alongside Barkley than at any other point in their careers.
- Maurice Cheeks
- Hersey Hawkins
- Johnny Dawkins
- Mike Gminski
- Ron Anderson
- Armen Gilliam

Other players who's scoring went up when they joined Barkley and immediately dropped again when they were separated.
- Rick Mahorn
- Ricky Green

The above list is basically everyone he played with from 88 to 92. Barkley's presence on court enabled every single player to score more. No one's scoring took a dip. Not even a marginal one. Everyone he played with had their career years with him. That is the kind of impact that stats don't capture. I dare say it's unprecedented.

3. Barkley led teams, with above group of misfits at options 2 through 5, to the 2nd best offense in the league in back to back years. Only behind the Showtime Lakers. When he moved to the suns, they had the #1 offense in the league 3 straight years.

Has anyone else ever had this level of offensive team impact?

TheCorporation
07-26-2019, 02:13 AM
Pretty sure he had the GOAT single season for ORtg - DRtg = net, all time

highwhey
07-26-2019, 02:32 AM
them PHX boys something else :applause:

Round Mound
07-26-2019, 03:45 AM
The GOAT Offensive Powerforward :applause::bowdown: :rockon: :cheers: :pimp: :banana:

Manny98
07-26-2019, 04:07 AM
In terms of offensive impact Barkley is the greatest out of PF/C

But in terms of all time i have Curry,LeBron,Jordan,Nash and Magic ahead of Barkley

Mr Feeny
07-26-2019, 04:27 AM
In terms of offensive impact Barkley is the greatest out of PF/C

But in terms of all time i have Curry,LeBron,Jordan,Nash and Magic ahead of Barkley

Lol at having Lebron up with Curry and Jordan.

Keep this thread about Barkley, kid.

iamgine
07-26-2019, 04:45 AM
1. 28.3ppg on 16.0fga. 66.5%ts. 128 Ortg. GOAT efficiency for a volume scorer.

2. Sure, plenty of players scored more personally, but how many players did so while also lifting team mates to the extent that Barkley did?

Here's a list of players who scored more ppg alongside Barkley than at any other point in their careers.
- Maurice Cheeks
- Hersey Hawkins
- Johnny Dawkins
- Mike Gminski
- Ron Anderson
- Armen Gilliam

Other players who's scoring went up when they joined Barkley and immediately dropped again when they were separated.
- Rick Mahorn
- Ricky Green

The above list is basically everyone he played with from 88 to 92. Barkley's presence on court enabled every single player to score more. No one's scoring took a dip. Not even a marginal one. Everyone he played with had their career years with him. That is the kind of impact that stats don't capture. I dare say it's unprecedented.

3. Barkley led teams, with above group of misfits at options 2 through 5, to the 2nd best offense in the league in back to back years. Only behind the Showtime Lakers. When he moved to the suns, they had the #1 offense in the league 3 straight years.

Has anyone else ever had this level of offensive team impact?
Point #2 is weak. For example, Dawkins only played 4 games. Anderson increased his minutes. Gminski had career high that one season but other seasons with Barkley wasn't as good. Did Barkley not lift him up anymore? Also we really gonna count Cheeks whose entire prime is playing with Barkley?

Manny98
07-26-2019, 05:16 AM
Lol at having Lebron up with Curry and Jordan.

Keep this thread about Barkley, kid.
Title of the thread is Barkley might be the greatest offensive player ever which he isn't

The five players that i named are better than Barkley offensively

But i agree he's the GOAT offensive PF/C

Mr Feeny
07-26-2019, 05:31 AM
Title of the thread is Barkley might be the greatest offensive player ever which he isn't

The five players that i named are better than Barkley offensively

But i agree he's the GOAT offensive PF/C

He's great, offensively. I still think Shaq and Wilt make it difficult for him to be considered a better offensive player when it comes to PF/C. I'd limit it to PF.

90sgoat
07-26-2019, 06:09 AM
Barkley was what everyone hopes Zion will be (but won't).

Barkley had one offensive weakness: 3-point shooting.

Everything else was elite, including jump shooting out to the 3 point line.

If Barkley had simply an average 3 point shot, he'd be extremely difficult to defend today. Impossible to guard with this much spacing today.

BlakFrankWhite
07-26-2019, 06:25 AM
Never had a 50 point game in the regular season...never shot better than 33% from the 3pt line..but he's the GOAT offensive player...ok then :facepalm

Harden >>> Barkley

Manny98
07-26-2019, 06:30 AM
He's great, offensively. I still think Shaq and Wilt make it difficult for him to be considered a better offensive player when it comes to PF/C. I'd limit it to PF.
Shaq and Wilt don't elevate the entire offense like Barkley

SouBeachTalents
07-26-2019, 06:38 AM
Dirk?

Marchesk
07-26-2019, 08:37 AM

So, it was Kobe who elevated the entire offense?

Round Mound
07-26-2019, 07:52 PM
Never had a 50 point game in the regular season...never shot better than 33% from the 3pt line..but he's the GOAT offensive player...ok then :facepalm

Harden >>> Barkley

He had a 56 point game in the play-offs. And overall in a time where it was more physical and there was handchecking. Infact, in that 56 point game he was guarded pushing two hands on him by Gatling in some plays. He also had a 44 and 24 game and a 43-15-10 game. Healthy and Prime Barkley was something else!

bizil
07-26-2019, 08:02 PM
I would say among the 4's for sure! Barkley was so FAR AHEAD of his time! He was like a PF, SF, and point forward in one body. He was a freakish athlete who played MUCH BIGGER than his size. Plus he was 260 pounds and had the ruggedness take no BS attitude associated with the PF position back then. He had so many ways he could beat you offensively between his scoring skillset, offensive rebounding, handles, and passing.

But I think some perimeter players were a bit more impactful offensively. Just because their scoring skillsets or passing ability were a bit better. Which is the case a LOT OF THE TIME when u compare great perimeter players to great PF's or C's. Maybe a couple of dominant centers like Wilt, Shaq, and Kareem. Because they were so dominant down low and were elite passers out of the post. But Barkley was SO SPECIAL that his height, skillset, and athletic ability was ACTUALLY more similar to the perimeter players. He just combined with the weight, rebounding, and toughness of the great PF's!

3ball
07-26-2019, 08:36 PM
Starks explains in about 20 seconds exactly why MJ is the goat offensive player:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CrEsoTJXPNA&t=01m40s

And there you have it... :confusedshrug:

And that's actually why you can watch an MJ game where he gets 45, and you'll be like "i barely noticed".. because he made it look so easy without pounding the air out of the ball

Manny98
07-26-2019, 08:43 PM
Starks explains in about 20 seconds exactly why MJ is the goat offensive player:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CrEsoTJXPNA&t=01m40s

And there you have it... :confusedshrug:

And that's actually why you can watch an MJ game where he gets 45, and you'll be like "i barely noticed".. because he made it look so easy without pounding the air out of the ball
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJCwyh0fDGw

stalkerforlife
07-26-2019, 09:02 PM
Lol

BarberSchool
07-26-2019, 09:07 PM
Barkley would murder single coverage at unbelievable (to today's fans) efficiency, so naturally he would get doubled heavily, and read them well, and passed well out of them, whether it was an assist or hockey assist.

From his second year thru Phoenix, his offensive dominance was only rivaled by Jordan. Olajuwon wasn't close to those two in terms of outright unstoppable offensive team dominance when they were on the floor.

People really sleep on how unstoppable and great Chuck was offensively.

Round Mound
07-26-2019, 10:01 PM
Barkley would murder single coverage at unbelievable (to today's fans) efficiency, so naturally he would get doubled heavily, and read them well, and passed well out of them, whether it was an assist or hockey assist.

From his second year thru Phoenix, his offensive dominance was only rivaled by Jordan. Olajuwon wasn't close to those two in terms of outright unstoppable offensive team dominance when they were on the floor.

People really sleep on how unstoppable and great Chuck was offensively.

:applause:

NBAGOAT
07-26-2019, 10:07 PM
Of pfs, the only I consider all time over Barkley is dirk. The efficiency and passing isn

AussieSteve
07-26-2019, 10:18 PM
Point #2 is weak. For example, Dawkins only played 4 games. Anderson increased his minutes. Gminski had career high that one season but other seasons with Barkley wasn't as good. Did Barkley not lift him up anymore? Also we really gonna count Cheeks whose entire prime is playing with Barkley?

Mo Cheeks never averaged more than 12.7ppg in a single season over 6 seasons before Barkley joined. He never averaged more than 9.7ppg over 4 seasons post leaving Barkley. Next to Barkley he averaged 14ppg over 5 seasons next to Chuck.

Dawkins averaged 13.3ppg over 3 seasons with Barkley, 13.0 the 3 season prior and 7.4 the 3 seasons post.

Gminski averaged 14.9 ppg next to Barkley. 10.5 the rest of his career.

Anderson never averaged more than 9ppg in 6 without Barkley, but became one of the best 6th men in the league next to Barkley, averaging 15ppg over 4 seasons.

The point is that EVERYONE saw their numbers go up. Even if it was marginal, or debatably due to Barkley. Even the other inside players didn't suffer because of Barkley, if anything they benefited. Chuck got his 25-28ppg and everyone else still ate better than ever.

Round Mound
07-26-2019, 10:27 PM
Mo Cheeks never averaged more than 12.7ppg in a single season over 6 seasons before Barkley joined. He never averaged more than 9.7ppg over 4 seasons post leaving Barkley. Next to Barkley he averaged 14ppg over 5 seasons next to Chuck.

Dawkins averaged 13.3ppg over 3 seasons with Barkley, 13.0 the 3 season prior and 7.4 the 3 seasons post.

Anderson never averaged more than 9ppg in 6 without Barkley, but became one of the best 6th men in the league next to Barkley, averaging 15ppg over 4 seasons.

The point is that EVERYONE saw their numbers go up. Even if it was marginal, or debatably due to Barkley. Even the other inside players didn't suffer because of Barkley, if anything they benefited. Chuck got his 25-28ppg and everyone else still ate better than ever.

72-10
07-26-2019, 10:29 PM
He mostly played near the hoop and scored a lot on offensive rebounds

But he could pop out for the three, he was a threat from there

That's versatility

The stats are there every year

AussieSteve
07-26-2019, 11:09 PM

Harden >>> Barkley

Barkley rarely looked to score first, unless it was in transition or the defense wasn't set. He tried to draw the double first, to create the open shot for a team mate. He rarely took a shot he didn't like. If the double didn't come or if the defense didn't execute it well, he'd get to the basket. If he wanted to score 50, of course he could have, but he was about team offense. It's why he only averaged 16 shot attempts per game during his peak years in Philly.

In the playoffs he took scoring upon himself more often and proved he could take over ganes singlehandedly when he needed to. He's one of only 4 players in history to score at least 56 points in the playoffs. And his frequency of playoff games with at least 42 points is higher than Shaq, Kobe, Dirk etc. etc.

iamgine
07-26-2019, 11:55 PM

Still weak point. Mo Cheeks, his minutes increased. in fact, he scored about the same as before when his minutes come down again. Gminski scored the same or more in the Nets. Dawkins about the same lol 13.0 the 3 seasons prior including as rookie. Anderson increased his minutes.

It's like saying JJ Redick suddenly have career high in Philly. Must be because of Embiid. :lol

AussieSteve
07-27-2019, 12:15 AM
Still weak point. Mo Cheeks, his minutes increased. in fact, he scored about the same as before when his minutes come down again. Gminski scored the same or more in the Nets. Dawkins about the same lol 13.0 the 3 seasons prior including as rookie. Anderson increased his minutes.

It's like saying JJ Redick suddenly have career high in Philly. Must be because of Embiid. :lol

So what your saying is that Barkley led a team of guys who weren't good enough to get decent mins for most of their careers... to th 2nd best offense in the league.

iamgine
07-27-2019, 12:26 AM
So what your saying is that Barkley led a team of guys who weren't good enough to get decent mins for most of their careers... to th 2nd best offense in the league.
No I'm saying your point #2 is weak.

Round Mound
07-27-2019, 12:50 AM

AussieSteve
07-27-2019, 12:56 AM
No I'm saying your point #2 is weak.

Your point that Barkley carried bench players to become productive starters is strong though.

iamgine
07-27-2019, 01:25 AM
well I guess you read what you want.:lol