PDA

View Full Version : Ballmer Open To Clippers Name Change

FireDavidKahn
07-30-2019, 10:06 AM
https://sports.yahoo.com/steve-ballmer-open-changing-name-160031004.html

[QUOTE]Owner Steve Ballmer has said that he will not be interested in moving the team out of Los Angeles for his hometown of Seattle. However, Ballmer did tell the Los Angeles Times this week that he is open to changing just about everything else about the team including its logo, colors, and even the name

superduper
07-30-2019, 10:23 AM
Ballmer is doing an excellent job to get the Clippers to have their own identity, his cokehead ass will be seen as a hero to Clipper fans when all is said and done.

Haymaker
07-30-2019, 10:24 AM
Inglewood Thugs

iamgine
07-30-2019, 11:27 AM
Inglewood Ballz

bigkingsfan
07-30-2019, 11:29 AM
The Boys :bowdown:

bullettooth
07-30-2019, 11:33 AM
Lakers quickly becoming completely irrelevant.

SouBeachTalents
07-30-2019, 11:43 AM
Lakers quickly becoming completely irrelevant.
So irrelevant they're the first thing you thought of in a thread about the Clippers

bullettooth
07-30-2019, 11:44 AM
So irrelevant they're the first thing you thought of in a thread about the Clippers

Relax little buddy, you'll still be able to cheer for the Lakers.

LukeWalton
07-30-2019, 11:56 AM
The common rumor about the name change is changing it from

LA Clippers to California Clippers

in order to drum up support from San Diego and other parts of CA.

As for the logo... they are thinking of just making Jerry West their official logo :oldlol:

kentatm
07-30-2019, 01:52 PM
https://sports.yahoo.com/steve-ballmer-open-changing-name-160031004.html

I think that'd be a great move since Sterling will always be attached to the Clippers name. A complete reset on that franchise would be great.

:rolleyes: :lol

The dude is trying to sell more merch. He doesn't give a **** about making people forget a former owner that most people have already forgotten about.

FireDavidKahn
07-30-2019, 02:48 PM
:rolleyes: :lol

The dude is trying to sell more merch. He doesn't give a **** about making people forget a former owner that most people have already forgotten about.
It's not simply a potential name change that's important. Ballmer has put that team in an absolute prime position to transition from being a joke of a franchise, let's be real even with CP3 and Blake they were still the red headed step child, to a respected "juggernaut" franchise that is considered arguably only better than the Wolves historically.

For crying out loud... My Wolves have the lowest winning percentage in history along any pro team in the 4 major sports and the Clippers barely edge is out. That was as if a couple years ago but I doubt it's changed.

With Ballmer doing"small" things like resurfacing courts around the metro he keeps spreading the brand which WILL slowly start converting more people into Clippers fans. The older people won't switch being fans but a portion of younger fans sure as hell will. Going the extra mile and paying attention to the littlest of details like that will bring positive results in the end.

With the new arena that will almost certainly be built and signing PG and Kawhi...These next few years are going to be an exciting time for Clippers fans. They won't overtake the Lakers at all, in terms of popularity and all that, anytime soon but they absolutely take a huge step forward into becoming one of the more respected franchises relatively soon.

Clippers don't need a new name or logo but I do think it would help them move away from being a historical laughingstock. Ballmer is a badass and hell with his fanaticism, drive and enthusiasm the Clippers will always be relevant.

Levity
07-30-2019, 03:05 PM
The Ballmer's Buddies

LukeWalton
07-30-2019, 06:49 PM
and Blake they were still the red headed step child, to a respected "juggernaut" franchise that is considered arguably only better than the Wolves historically.

Blake is just red headed Ninger. no step child he is.

Knicksfever2010
07-30-2019, 07:48 PM
LA Blaze?

LA Jets?

brooks_thompson
07-31-2019, 07:47 AM
Is it allowed to use a state name instead of city name? They should just be the California Clippers and piss off the other Cali teams. Adam Silver obvs can't say no to Ballmer, so why not?

brooks_thompson
07-31-2019, 07:50 AM
The common rumor about the name change is changing it from

LA Clippers to California Clippers

in order to drum up support from San Diego and other parts of CA.

As for the logo... they are thinking of just making Jerry West their official logo :oldlol:

Oops sorry, missed your post before posting the same idea. I'm def. On board with California Clippers. Got that alliteration going on. Sounds smooth.

bison
07-31-2019, 12:11 PM
“Hopefully, by the time we’re done, it won’t be a Clipper logo,” Ballmer said. “It will be some naming rights sponsor.”

‘The Los Angeles Tempur-Pedic Mattresses presented by Kia Motors’

BarberSchool
07-31-2019, 02:12 PM
[QUOTE=bison]

qrich
07-31-2019, 02:27 PM
If true, hope they follow what Long Beach State does for athletics, and just call it "The Wood"

baudkarma
07-31-2019, 02:35 PM
Is it allowed to use a state name instead of city name? They should just be the California Clippers and piss off the other Cali teams. Adam Silver obvs can't say no to Ballmer, so why not?

I found this in an old ESPN story:

"The NBA Board of Governors unanimously approved changing the Charlotte Bobcats name back to the Hornets beginning for the 2014-15 season during its summer meeting Thursday in Las Vegas."

So any name change would have to be approved by the other owners. I would guess that the other Cali teams would strongly object to the Clippers claiming the entire state.

qrich
07-31-2019, 03:30 PM

"The NBA Board of Governors unanimously approved changing the Charlotte Bobcats name back to the Hornets beginning for the 2014-15 season during its summer meeting Thursday in Las Vegas."

So any name change would have to be approved by the other owners. I would guess that the other Cali teams would strongly object to the Clippers claiming the entire state.

"Golden State" Warriors....

FireDavidKahn
07-31-2019, 10:37 PM
"Golden State" Warriors....
They changed to the Golden State Warriors almost 50 years ago. Politics weren't exactly the same as now.

brooks_thompson
08-01-2019, 02:58 AM

Hm ok. How about the U.S. Clippers then? That'll teach em.

I'd really just like to see Ballmer take over the league and have free rein. That guy is a fun rich kook.

305Baller
08-01-2019, 03:00 AM
https://amp.businessinsider.com/images/593af533c4adee1d008b4d9d-750-482.png

The Balders

The Coneheads

The Developers, developers, developers...

The No-need-for Clippers

MoBe1Kanobi
08-01-2019, 10:47 PM
The Los Angeles Beachers

GimmeThat
08-01-2019, 11:27 PM
a follow up post to teams changing ownership shouldn't claim championships earned during the previous era