PDA

View Full Version : February 7th. 1985. 48 career games played.

Kblaze8855
07-31-2019, 08:18 PM
Asking Larry Bird about the health of pro basketball can leave some questions unanswered, because he and the Boston Celtics are a happening, wherever they go.

For that reason, asking Larry Bird much about anything in recent years has meant grabbing a word here and an elbow there. Peace and quiet, two items he has to cherish, are as rare to him as scoreless quarters. He is alone only when at the free throw line.

Still, like many of the greatest of the great athletes, Bird is growing more aware at the glorious age of 28. The games still carry utmost importance, but so does The Game, which means the best basketball player ever to put on his short pants one leg at a time looks for more now than the open man.

''First three seasons in the league, all I worried about was the Boston Celtics,'' said Bird. ''But I realize the NBA is only as strong as its weakest link, so I`m concerned about more than us now. I still don`t wake up and check attendances around the league every morning in the paper, but I feel like the sport`s getting better all the time.

''Last year was the most competitive of the six I`ve been around. Only our second playoff series, against New York, was like a war. Great games. This year, some teams like the Knicks are down because of injuries. But if people get healthy, the second half of this season, and then the playoffs, could be the best yet. The NBA is perking up all the time.''

Bird spoke Tuesday evening after the world champions had vanquished the Bulls 110-106 in a visceral Stadium affair before 18,061 customers who needed their chairs only occasionally. Bird required a seat now, fighting fatigue and a bug, with a towel over his legs and a beer. He had played 42 minutes and watched Michael Jordan the other 6.

''I have never seen one player turn a team around like that,'' said Bird, snapping his fingers. ''All the Bulls have become better because of him. Orlando Woolridge will probably be an All-Star for the rest of his career. And pretty soon, this place will be packed every night, not just when the Celtics come to town. They`ll pay just to watch Jordan. Got to.''

Bird recently volunteered his vote for Jordan as the finest athlete he`d ever witnessed or opposed, mentioning the Bulls` electric rookie in the same monologue as Wayne Gretzky. After observing Jordan gyrate for 41 points, a game-high 12 rebounds and 7 assists Tuesday night, Bird was in no mood for second opinions.

''Best,'' said Bird. ''Never seen anyone like him. Unlike anyone I`ve ever seen. Phenomenal. One of a kind.''

In other words . . .

''One of a kind,'' he repeated. ''That`s what I mean about the league. With guys like him coming in from college year after year, we just can`t help but get a better image, better crowds, better TV ratings. He`s the best. Ever.''

Better than Larry Bird?

''Yup,'' said Bird. ''At his stage in his career, he`s doing more than I ever did. I couldn`t do what he did as a rookie. Heck, there was one drive tonight. He had the ball up in his right hand, then he took it down, then he brought it back up. I got a hand on it, fouled him, and he still scored. And all the while, he`s in the air. You have to play this game to know how difficult that is. You see that and figure, `Well, what the heck can you do?` ''

One of Jordan`s creations didn`t make it to the scorebook. Near the end of the first quarter, he posed at the center line, dribbling seconds away, like an airplane about to take off. Then he bore through and over a sea of green jerseys for a slam. Mike Mathis, the out official, figured something so spectacular couldn`t also be legal, so he whistled Jordan for an offensive foul.

''Best,'' repeated Bird. ''I`d seen a little of him before and wasn`t that impressed. I mean, I thought he`d be good, but not this good. Ain`t nothing he can`t do. That`s good for this franchise, good for the league.''

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/GrandSevereDiscus-size_restricted.gif

Mr Feeny
08-01-2019, 12:59 AM
What's interesting here isn't just Bird admitting that Jordan was the best he's ever seen (al the way back in 85 I.e. BEFORE the 63 point performance in Boston Garden, but that the article described Larry as the best player ever.

That seemed to be the consensus back then when you read through old articles. And when the Lakera won 3 in 4 years in the late 80s while Bird dealt with back trouble, the narrative shifted to Magic 》 Bird.

305Baller
08-01-2019, 01:07 AM

why are black people always in cars?

they love cars. never see em on bicycles

AHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHA

DoctorP
08-01-2019, 01:09 AM

why are black people always in cars?

they love cars. never see em on bicycles

AHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHA

racist clown

305Baller
08-01-2019, 01:10 AM
racist clown

u ****ing hippie

HHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA

Mr Feeny
08-01-2019, 01:13 AM
u ****ing hippie

HHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA

Stop it. Take that stuff somewhere else.

305Baller
08-01-2019, 01:14 AM

okay Doctor P, lets go to the other court. the one with the hippies.

AHaaaa

GimmeThat
08-01-2019, 01:54 AM
zone breaker, and base line slasher

jstern
08-01-2019, 02:16 AM
Best ever after 48 career games. Another one.

https://s.yimg.com/ny/api/res/1.2/uW.dwWfdpZBZK7GouwfTUA--~A/YXBwaWQ9aGlnaGxhbmRlcjtzbT0xO3c9ODAw/https://media.zenfs.com/en/myrecipes_643/76203a9f10ca772257fb43d422b07aa6

SouBeachTalents
08-01-2019, 02:36 AM
Dope article, but damn 305Baller is cringe

305Baller
08-01-2019, 02:38 AM
Dope article, but damn 305Baller is cringe

Your mothers face cringes when I stick my rusted steel pipe, slowly...gently.... in her uterus.

:rockon:

Sex is great.

SouBeachTalents
08-01-2019, 02:42 AM
Your mothers face cringes when I stick my rusted steel pipe, slowly...gently.... in her uterus.

:rockon:

Sex is great.
Mama jokes bro, that was a good one. It's ironic your avy's the joker when you have such a whack sense of humor :lol

brooks_thompson
08-01-2019, 02:46 AM
Mama jokes bro, that was a good one. It's ironic your avy's the joker when you have such a whack sense of humor :lol

In his defense, he wasn't always like this. Seems like he got really into Batman comics for a while then adopted this schtick, which has well run its course despite whatever he thinks. But, as with most cases on ISH, you've just gotta let em go.

305Baller
08-01-2019, 02:51 AM
Boys, allow myself to reintroduce my self:

https://media1.tenor.com/images/f17c7e1774551db2173dc130b8744ffd/tenor.gif

I don't read comics. Comics read me.

brooks_thompson
08-01-2019, 02:51 AM
What's interesting here isn't just Bird admitting that Jordan was the best he's ever seen (al the way back in 85 I.e. BEFORE the 63 point performance in Boston Garden, but that the article described Larry as the best player ever.

That seemed to be the consensus back then when you read through old articles. And when the Lakera won 3 in 4 years in the late 80s while Bird dealt with back trouble, the narrative shifted to Magic 》 Bird.

Yeah, that's what I took away too. There's a reason those Bird quotes on MJ got press, and it's because most thought he was the greatest and therefore an authority like you said.

Shame about that gravel shoveling. Even though Lebron probably has overtaken him due to longevity, Bird has oddly seemed to slip several spots instead of just one in all those top 10 lists over the past few years.

brooks_thompson
08-01-2019, 02:52 AM
Boys, allow myself to reintroduce my self:

https://media1.tenor.com/images/f17c7e1774551db2173dc130b8744ffd/tenor.gif

I don't read comics. Comics read me.

I saw that movie. Can't wait for part 3. Hope Jim Carrey's still up for it...he's been a little off the deep end here lately.

DoctorP
08-01-2019, 02:55 AM
Yeah, that's what I took away too. There's a reason those Bird quotes on MJ got press, and it's because most thought he was the greatest and therefore an authority like you said.

Shame about that gravel shoveling. Even though Lebron probably has overtaken him due to longevity, Bird has oddly seemed to slip several spots instead of just one in all those top 10 lists over the past few years.

Indeed.

DoctorP
08-01-2019, 02:56 AM
I saw that movie. Can't wait for part 3. Hope Jim Carrey's still up for it...he's been a little off the deep end here lately.

Carrey's doing Sonic. Hollywood is still giving him some work. I didnt think he would recover after Dumb and Dumber 2

brooks_thompson
08-01-2019, 03:05 AM
Carrey's doing Sonic. Hollywood is still giving him some work. I didnt think he would recover after Dumb and Dumber 2

He just needs to get back to his Pet Detective roots...maybe...hopefully. I watched him on Norm MacDonald Live a year or two ago and he was obviously really lost and an emotional wreck after that shit that happened with his girlfriend.

DoctorP
08-01-2019, 03:07 AM
He just needs to get back to his Pet Detective roots...maybe...hopefully.

If he can pull it off, he can ride that shtick to retirement. I loved Ace 1 and D+D 1. Mask was cool at the time. I dug it. In Living COlor. yeah.

Bosnian Sajo
08-01-2019, 09:44 AM

Ironically, you act EXACTLY like 305Baller whenever there is a Kobe thread.

How does it taste bro?

Mr Feeny
08-01-2019, 10:33 AM
Ironically, you act EXACTLY like 305Baller whenever there is a Kobe thread.

How does it taste bro?

Ah here's the punching bag of the forum, trolling as usual.