PDA

View Full Version : I feel like stat padding is a skill watching some of these guys.

Kblaze8855
08-05-2019, 04:59 PM
We all remember Ricky Davis with the ugliest attempt at a triple double ever throwing it off his own basket.....

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/BronzeMiserableBernesemountaindog-size_restricted.gif

Im pretty sure Jerry Sloan decided to retire then and there.

But Blatche was nearly as bad....

So you know whats going on....

He had like 29/13/9. He already got an over the back foul going for the 10th rebound. In these 3 clips he fights a teammate for it.....literally asks Yi not to box out on a FT so he can have the ball(Yi said no...of course) then he tried to sprint coast to coast as the game ended for an intentional miss to get his rebound.

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/DiligentBlissfulAdamsstaghornedbeetle-size_restricted.gif

If he received it and I worked for the NBA id strip him of a rebound like they did Lebron that game he had the 50 point triple double in the garden by stat padding then pretended he didnt know he was close to it in the post game. I legit wouldnt have played him next game just for how hed just treated the sport.

Yea...to get your numbers sometimes teammates must be robbed....but if you wanna rob a teammate this obviously at least go apologize later like Bledsoe did....

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/EsteemedOldBlesbok-size_restricted.gif

These guys make it sooooooooo obvious though. Nobody taught them to play it cool and stack your stat of choice through the game like Rondo did(while Celtic fans still refused to admit what was happening)...

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/SereneUnfoldedBluejay-size_restricted.gif

In the second on he refuses to score even though his team is losing big....

Gotta do it casually like Shaq always wanting to score 8 points a quarter before sitting so with fouls hed end up with 30. Or Jordan passing up a couple early layups to get ahead on the triple double search. Kobe off the top of my head only made it obvious once. When he was gunning for 40 points vs the Sonics to extend that streak and he took like 35 shots to get it. But there is nothing you can point to as an obvious individual play. Just a feeling like its happening.

Those dudes out there making it so obvious they would only get laughed at if they got it.

Like...for real.....

Did Blatche think that after all that if he got a triple double everyone would be impressed and not mention how he did it?

sportjames23
08-05-2019, 06:14 PM
This finna be good.

Kblaze8855
08-05-2019, 06:30 PM
Not much to argue over really. All the troll groups here rep known stat padders its just a matter of degree. Its more common than we like to acknowledge.

If you count things like staying in games to hit some scoring milestone lots of guys are on the list. Even some unselfish ones.

tpols
08-05-2019, 06:38 PM
We all remember Ricky Davis.....

Like...for real.....

Did Blatche think that after all that if he got a triple double everyone would be impressed and not mention how he did it?

only the dumbest players attempt this so it shouldnt be a shock...

you dont see dirk out there statpadding.

Kblaze8855
08-05-2019, 06:43 PM

There are some odd ones you wouldnt notice right away.

Like when Jason Kopono would refuse to shoot unless he was like...practice open. He was going for the all time 3 point shooting percentage record and started pump faking and driving when he could have just taken the shot.

But once the playoffs arrived and the numbers didnt count for his season he played normal. I think he took more 3s in the playoffs than like the whole last couple months of the season. IT was in some article I read a while back. I'll see if I can find it.

RRR3
08-05-2019, 06:45 PM

Dirk was statpadding in his last game.

Kblaze8855
08-05-2019, 06:58 PM
Dirk was statpadding in his last game.

Elvin Hayes had the second triple double of his career in his second to last game. He played 53 minutes at like 40 years old to get it as the Rockets tried to tank to draft Hakeem. He retired having played exactly 50000 minutes in the NBA(the record at the time) and im pretty sure it was on purpose.

We dont count those last moment stat pads though.

Its what the fans want. Dirk couldnt chill in his last home game. He hd to drop 30. Like Kobes last game. 55 shots. Its funny...but you get it.

RRR3
08-05-2019, 06:59 PM
Elvin Hayes had the second triple double of his career in his second to last game. He played 53 minutes at like 40 years old to get it as the Rockets tried to tank to draft Hakeem. He retired having played exactly 50000 minutes in the NBA(the record at the time) and im pretty sure it was on purpose.

We dont count those last moment stat pads though.

Its what the fans want. Dirk couldnt chill in his last home game. He hd to drop 30. Like Kobes last game. 55 shots. Its funny...but you get it.
Duncan scored 0 in his last game iirc

eliteballer
08-05-2019, 08:01 PM
it's easier to stat pad rebounds now because back in the day it was a post oriented game where everyone was fighting to gobble up every board..

Kblaze8855
08-05-2019, 08:05 PM
The assists are pretty easy now with the open lanes for these non-skilled bigs to dive in off the screen. Clint Capela is about to feast all season with Westbrook and harden taking turns getting that assist count up.

Carbine
08-05-2019, 10:28 PM
Duncan scored 0 in his last game iirc

If by 0 you mean 19.

ILLsmak
08-05-2019, 11:12 PM
the inconvenient truth is rebounds are probably the most overrated stat, esp defensive rebounds.

Not to say that they aren't very important and that certain players aren't monsters, but in general, getting a bunch of defensive rebounds to pad your way to a triple double is pretty meh. But getting 20-10 or w/e pt assists is pretty sexy in an of itself.

Defensive rebounding SHOULD be a team thing, those teams that box out so certain guys can get the ball always seemed kinda wack to me.

If the game was already out of reach and a dude asked me to let him get a reb off a FT so he could have a triple double, I think it'd be worth it to let him grab it because every time I shook his hand before or after a game I could remind him he was a bitch. haha. Be like yooo Andre... haha... sup, you still a bitch? Remember that triple double I let you have?? TONIGHT I'M NOT GIVING YOU SHIT.

-Smak

jlip
08-05-2019, 11:29 PM
David Robinson's last game of the '94 season for the scoring title.

GimmeThat
08-05-2019, 11:51 PM
it all started from padding game start stats

Bosnian Sajo
08-07-2019, 09:52 AM
Like Kobes last game. 55 shots. Its funny...but you get it.

50 shots, but yea he definitely was gunning it for his last game.

Although to be fair to Kobe, his team was down like 10 points with 3-4 minutes left in the game. He legitimately brought them back and won the game in clutch fashion, easily the best retirement game ever. Only thing that would have topped it would be Jordan's 1998 game, but as we all know that did not end up being his finale.

superduper
08-07-2019, 09:57 AM
Statpadding is 100% a skill and Le$tats is unmatched in the art of padding empty individual stats in a 5v5 team game at all costs including to the detriment of the overall team :rockon:

https://media1.giphy.com/media/FxjpIBg9Ar9xm/source.gif

Mr Feeny
08-07-2019, 11:49 AM
50 shots, but yea he definitely was gunning it for his last game.

Although to be fair to Kobe, his team was down like 10 points with 3-4 minutes left in the game. He legitimately brought them back and won the game in clutch fashion, easily the best retirement game ever. Only thing that would have topped it would be Jordan's 1998 game, but as we all know that did not end up being his finale.pretty much every last game by any player ever topped that fiasco by Kobe:oldlol: 50 shots in his last game to show you that even after 20 years of basketball, he still didnt get it. He still didnt understand the concept of a team. In a way, that embarassing game summarized his career.

elementally morale
08-07-2019, 06:27 PM
pretty much every last game by any player ever topped that fiasco by Kobe:oldlol: 50 shots in his last game to show you that even after 20 years of basketball, he still didnt get it. He still didnt understand the concept of a team. In a way, that embarassing game summarized his career.

Kobe did have the tendency to take more shots than optimal... but his last game? Come on. Everyone in the building wanted him to take every shot. All his teammates, all the fans, all the media and all the Jazz players.

And it was a prefect Kobe game. Lots of shots, lots of misses... making the most important ones and getting the win. Everyone enjoyed it, too. NBA players included.