PDA

View Full Version : NCAA institutes "Rich Paul" rule

eliteballer
08-06-2019, 10:23 PM
https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2848716-ncaa-reportedly-changes-criteria-rules-for-nba-agents-rich-paul-excluded

Im so nba'd out
08-06-2019, 11:08 PM
They even put the zone in the league to try to stop em

https://www.sohh.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/06/Sports-Illustrated-Cover-Rich-Paul-759x500.jpg

he's the answer and the problem

bigkingsfan
08-06-2019, 11:12 PM
Racist, expecting black agents to get bachelor's.

IGOTGAME
08-06-2019, 11:15 PM
Racist, expecting black agents to get bachelor's.

Not racist but strange requirement. You dont technically need a bachelors to be an attorney but you NEED it to be some shit agent.

Kblaze8855
08-07-2019, 06:17 AM
Not racist but strange requirement. You dont technically need a bachelors to be an attorney but you NEED it to be some shit agent.

You dont need a bachelors to be on the supreme court or to be president.

And I wonder what real world difference this makes. It only matters for player who hire an agent....and arent you ineligible once you do that anyway?

What is this for like....hiring someone to investigate your draft stock but not be your real full agent?

It wouldnt matter at all to the big prospects who know they are going to the NBA. Only the second round guys who may wanna go back to school.

Think a guy like Zion gives a **** about losing his ncaa eligibility for his sophomore season because of the agent he hired pre draft? Hes not coming back anyway.

Hire who you want the second your team is out of the tournament. NCAA cant do shit about it.

Real Men Wear Green
08-07-2019, 06:27 AM
The article points out the reason why the NCAA is doing this: Paul finds ways for his players to get paid, which means (because of other stupid NCAA rules) that he is taking talented players out of college basketball. This has nothing to do with what's best for the players and everything to do with the NCAA seeing a threat to their own bottom line, a threat that they themselves created. If they would just allow players to have endorsement deals they would have no problem.

It's extra-stupid because it won't take long for an agent with a degree in whatever (there being no specific area of expertise required highlighting that the rule is just a hurdle being thrown out there) to come along and find a player some deal just like what Paul has done...well, maybe they won't if the NBA is quick about lowering the age requirement.

Just to be clear, I don't think of the NCAA as some great evil, overall it's a good organization that gives a lot of opportunities for kids to go to school that might not have otherwise or at least would have struggled mightily financially. For the majority a scholarship is a good deal. But the way they go out of their way to unsuccessfully try and keep star from getting paid is stupid and seems to just be coming from out of spite or some kind of desperate need to feel like they're in control.Why do they so badly need to keep players broke? I don't get it.

scuzzy
08-07-2019, 06:52 AM
NCAA is going to get heavy blowback from this

May be the one that breaks the camels back

DukeDelonte13
08-07-2019, 07:30 AM

Uh what?

You can't obtain a J.D. without having a bachelor's. I don't think any state still allows you to take the bar exam without a J.D.

I'm sure there are some non accredited schools that will take your money without a B.A or B.S. but to sit for the bar in virtually every state you need a J.D. from an ABA accredited school.

IGOTGAME
08-07-2019, 08:37 AM
Uh what?

You can't obtain a J.D. without having a bachelor's. I don't think any state still allows you to take the bar exam without a J.D.

I'm sure there are some non accredited schools that will take your money without a B.A or B.S. but to sit for the bar in virtually every state you need a J.D. from an ABA accredited school.

There are states that allow an apprenticeship program. Then you could waive into other states. Bachelors is not required.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/slate.com/business/2014/08/states-that-allow-bar-exams-without-law-degrees-require-apprenticeships-instead-of-law-school.amp

https://likelincoln.org/state-by-state-guide-to-apprenticeships/

baudkarma
08-07-2019, 08:37 AM
I'm wondering what the requirements are for NCAA head coaches. Gotta be much more stringent that the requirements for agents, right? Especially considering all the corruption charges leveled at head coaches these past few years.

MaxPlayer
08-07-2019, 08:55 AM
Isn't this a bill of attainder, which is explicitly prohibited by the US Constitution? I know the NCAA isn't Congress, but it is an association of (mostly) public institutions.

Real Men Wear Green
08-07-2019, 10:19 AM
Isn't this a bill of attainder, which is explicitly prohibited by the US Constitution? I know the NCAA isn't Congress, but it is an association of (mostly) public institutions.First I'm hearing about this term so my opinion isn't worth much but a googling said that attainder had to do with a legislative body declaring a specific person a criminal without any kind of trial. NCAA isn't a legal body and they aren't declaring anyone a criminal. They are saying a player loses their eligibility id they get an agent without a degree. I definitely don't agree with this rule but we'll have to wait to beat from Rich Paul's lawyers to learn how it may be illegal.

FireDavidKahn
08-07-2019, 10:58 AM
This somehow made the NCAA an even bigger joke.

WTF?:oldlol:

90sgoat
08-07-2019, 11:36 AM
I like it, but they should also make it a rule that you need to be literate at a college level to play in the NCAA. Something most one and done's don't seem to be.

FireDavidKahn
08-07-2019, 01:20 PM
I like it, but they should also make it a rule that you need to be literate at a college level to play in the NCAA. Something most one and done's don't seem to be.
I know you meant well and tried your hardest but no matter how dumb someone may seem, there is virtually no chance someone could fake their way into college without being able to read or write.

sdot_thadon
08-07-2019, 01:31 PM
I'm wondering what the requirements are for NCAA head coaches. Gotta be much more stringent that the requirements for agents, right? Especially considering all the corruption charges leveled at head coaches these past few years.
very interesting and realistic expectation. The coaches are literally playing opposite of agents on the college level at least, correct?

chocolatethunder
08-07-2019, 04:05 PM
This is not about Rich Paul at all. He has plenty of attys etc. Not everything has to do w Bron and Rich Paul lol but they are so self centered they think it does. This is about unsavory predatory people (sometimes family members and friends) inserting themselves into an unwitting, trustworthy kid who doesn

Real Men Wear Green
08-07-2019, 07:33 PM
This is not about Rich Paul at all. He has plenty of attys etc. Not everything has to do w Bron and Rich Paul lol but they are so self centered they think it does. This is about unsavory predatory people (sometimes family members and friends) inserting themselves into an unwitting, trustworthy kid who doesn’t know anything about anything. I’m not saying it’s a good or a bad rule but the whole Rich Paul angle is entirely misunderstood on his end and manufactured by the media on the other end. Idk how many of you here know pro athletes or kids who have been D1 prospects etc but the amount of scumbags morons who come out of the woodwork and present themselves as “family” or friends is never ending and that’s what this is about.The timing of this rule is what kills your point. For decades there was no such concern but now that Paul showed a way for a kid to make money without leaving the country. And that's why the NCAA suddenly felt concerned. This isn't about James and it's not just about Paul (he's mainly the catalyst) but this is definitely about scaring players away from agents that might show a young man how he can make a few hundred thousand dollars and thus seal the deal in terms of getting him to go pro. If the NCAA is so concerned about their student athletes they would be changing the rules so that players could sign with agents, get paid, and still go to school and play for their team.

bigkingsfan
08-12-2019, 06:54 PM
NCAA got exposed, no more bachelors requirements.

"Instead, agents who don't have a bachelor's degree will have to be in good standing with the National Basketball Players Association."

PickernRoller
08-12-2019, 07:02 PM
This is exactly what it looks like fellas. Lets not type walls of text to "debate" it. It's what it's.

I've seen it in my own trade that requires cert. and recert. every year. Same con philosophy.

For once I agree with Bran's posse Paul.