PDA

View Full Version : Talking with my brother last night and we were stuck with this question...

TheMan
08-12-2019, 11:26 PM
Was watching that Oliver Stone movie about the Doors the other night and I got to thinking, do we really progress and get better than previous generations?

Specifically in the arts, let me explain...

When you look at the greatest rock bands in history considered by both fans and critics, almost all them started in the 60s or 70s, The Beatles, The Who, Led Zeppelin, Queen, David Bowie, Pink Floyd, Bob Dylan, Jimi Hendrix, CCR, Neil Young, The Eagles etc...where are the new GOATs? Shouldn't these old bands have been replaced by better bands in the decades following the 60s/70s? Far and few bands have reached that GOAT tier since the 60s/70s like U2, Radiohead and maybe Tool? But shouldn't there be a bunch since we are supposed to be better than previous generations?

How about the movie industry? Can't tell me with a straight face that Hollywood hasn't been churning out straight garbage now for a while, where is the movies on the level of Taxi Driver, Goodfellas, 2001 A Space Odyssey, A Clockwork Orange, Apocalypse Now etc...can anyone name a few movies on that level to come out the last decade?

What about painters? Where are the Rembrandt, Van Gogh, Michelangelo of today? Mozart, Beethoven, Bach, Chopin, Tchaikovsky? Where are the composers of today on the level of those dudes who wrote their masterpieces hundreds of years ago in some cases?

Those are a few examples, anyone have a theory because seems like we are getting worse...

warriorfan
08-12-2019, 11:31 PM
Peak capitalism has destroyed that stuff

If it ain

NBAGOAT
08-12-2019, 11:35 PM
Tv is the best it

TheMan
08-12-2019, 11:37 PM
Tv is the best it’s ever been however
Yeah, I was gonna mention that, some of the legit GOAT TV shows have come out in the last decade or so, and tv has been around for a while now, since the 1950s so not everything has gone to shit since then...great point :applause:

Patrick Chewing
08-12-2019, 11:49 PM
Women look better too.

:pimp:

highwhey
08-13-2019, 12:03 AM
i don't expect music to return to anything remotely good anytime soon. it's utter trash right now.

movies are an interesting topic tho...yeah a lot of trash films lately, but a lot of top actors are going to tv. it used to be top tv actors would do films primarily, but then we started getting really good tv series and it became more common. like the other poster said, some of the best tv has aired recently.

also, tech & science. we rolled into the 20th century on horse and buggy (not really, but we did have shitty primative 4 piston cars that were not capable of highway travel) and came out from it with cars, planes, space ships, the internet, cell phones, theory of relativity, huge advances in physics.

what have we done since 2000? aside from building on already existing tech...what new *life changing* discoveries and inventions have been born since entering a new century? i'm sure posters will list some key discoveries and inventions, maybe some physics discoveries...but you can't tell me we're even close to the pace of the 20th century.

the only thing that could change that would be the first legitimate quantum computer.

Shogon
08-13-2019, 12:14 AM
^ This century will see far far more advancement than the last and it won

highwhey
08-13-2019, 12:16 AM
^ This century will see far far more advancement than the last and it won’t be close.

It will be a tidal wave once the tipping point hits... that or we will all be dead.
what empirical evidence do you have of a technological and scientific revolution bigger than the 20th century?

https://i.postimg.cc/ZnD4FY8F/unimpressed.png

edit: no need to be mean.

Long Duck Dong
08-13-2019, 12:36 AM
Dont forget writers as well. Even simple conversation was probably much more entertaining and attention capturing the further we go back

IMO it's not complicated. Ever since recorded music, then film, then television and followed by the internet, people have to use their imagination less and less to visualize art and music. Not to mention all the distractions these technological wonders have brought us. Back then a boy or young man would sit for hours by themselves, and their imagination would run wild during that time. Nowadays how many of us can sit still for more than a few minutes without turning on the TV or looking at our computer/phone?

scuzzy
08-13-2019, 12:37 AM
We need another World War for fear base motivation

-cure for diseases

-reverse engineer the brain

-unrecognizable AI

-singularity

It's all so close, but we need that war to motivate humans to the brink extinction, similar to the nazi tyranny it gripped on the world.

It may take nukes

iamgine
08-13-2019, 12:59 AM
Was watching that Oliver Stone movie about the Doors the other night and I got to thinking, do we really progress and get better than previous generations?

When you look at the greatest rock bands in history considered by both fans and critics, almost all them started in the 60s or 70s, The Beatles, The Who, Led Zeppelin, Queen, David Bowie, Pink Floyd, Bob Dylan, Jimi Hendrix, CCR, Neil Young, The Eagles etc...where are the new GOATs? Shouldn't these old bands have been replaced by better bands in the decades following the 60s/70s? Far and few bands have reached that GOAT tier since the 60s/70s like U2, Radiohead and maybe Tool? But shouldn't there be a bunch since we are supposed to be better than previous generations?

How about the movie industry? Can't tell me with a straight face that Hollywood hasn't been churning out straight garbage now for a while, where is the movies on the level of Taxi Driver, Goodfellas, 2001 A Space Odyssey, A Clockwork Orange, Apocalypse Now etc...can anyone name a few movies on that level to come out the last decade?

What about painters? Where are the Rembrandt, Van Gogh, Michelangelo of today? Mozart, Beethoven, Bach, Chopin, Tchaikovsky? Where are the composers of today on the level of those dudes who wrote their masterpieces hundreds of years ago in some cases?

Those are a few examples, anyone have a theory because seems like we are getting worse...
When talking about subjective things like art, you can't really compare things because it's all about appreciation and not much of objective truth. For example, I find the movie Taxi Driver just ok. But enough people appreciate it therefore it's on a very high pedestal.

bladefd
08-13-2019, 01:39 AM

We tend to appreciate things once they are gone. 20 years later, we will be talking about how great x and y were in 2000s and 2010s. It is just how it goes. There is still greatness somewhere but we won't see it until time does its thing. Whatever stands the test of time.

I also guarantee people in 70s were asking how awesome the 50s were with movies like On the Waterfront, Ben-hur, Vertigo, the Apartment, Rear Window, North by Northwest, etc. Likewise with music too - 50s had Elvis, Dean Martin, Hank Williams, Frank Sinatra, Ray Charles, Johnny Cash, etc. Same with painters. You don't appreciate it until it's gone and you look back in nostalgia.

Having said that, I do admit the movie industry is getting bit trashy along with music. Less focus on lyrics/script and more on other unimportant stuff

GimmeThat
08-13-2019, 02:18 AM
predicting the unpredictable with variables, showcasing the inevitable of negative emotion is not the same as the function of a guide

and if you were an aspiring audience, you prefer false promises over tool skills

Prometheus
08-13-2019, 04:08 AM
The '60s and early '70s produced the most compelling music in synchronicity with the fact that Uranus and Pluto were in aligment for those years.

In general, the tone of the 1960s was that of widespread acceleration of creativity and change - a distinct feature of all Uranus-Pluto alignment eras (1790s French Revolutionary era, mid 19th century revolutions of 1848 throughout Europe and abolitionist movements, turn of the 20th century with unprecedented advances in physics - birth of both relativity and qm at virtually the same time, and finally the very obvious radical 1960s era). The impulse toward accelerated creativity is especially obvious in music, where the feeling of "breaking new ground" is readily apparent in the heightened inspiration of the musician.

It's not a simple cause-effect dichotomy, but rather a synchronistic connection. The planetary alignments do not 'cause' the human activity, but the human activity seems to reflect the alignments in infinitely unpredictable ways.

Every pair of outer planets (whose slower motion from our POV cause alignments to last for years at a time - unlike the brief alignments of, say, Sun and Mars) has a unique blending of archetypes in accord with the two planets in question. In the case of Uranus-Pluto, the combination is particularly compelling.

Uranus reflects the archetype of Prometheus - the trickster, rebel god (titan actually) who stole fire from Zeus (Jupiter) and gifted it to mankind - the impulse to innovate, rebel, surprise, make new that which is old and outdated, in often unexpected and shocking ways. The Uranus (Prometheus) experience is that of epiphany, awakening, lightning-like flashes of inspiration, sudden creative breakthrough, etc. It is related to both technology (the most obvious manifestation of the "steal fire from the heavens" motif), and political rebellion (the liberating urge to reject the old order in favor of the new).

Pluto reflects the archetype of either Dionysus or Hades-Pluto - the guardian of the underworld or the god of madness and trance. Any gods of destruction and regeneration, death and rebirth, consumption and expulsion, purging and purifying. The Pluto archetype is expressed by the phoenix (burning and then rising from its own ashes), the impulse to burn, destroy, consume, obliterate, but also to rebirth, regenerate, and purify (sorry if I'm getting repetitive). Life-and-death struggles, catastrophe, devastation, volcanic intensity, etc. are hallmark features of Pluto archetypal quality. It is related to Nietszche's "will to power", Freud's "id" and Schopenhauer's "blind, striving universal will". The elemental forces of nature - biological, instinctual, aggressive, libidinal. When Pluto aligns with another celestial body, it seems to "intensify" the other archetype, to massive proportions or potentially catastrophic extremes.

So when you combine the two, you are temporarily synthesizing the Promethean (Uranus) impulse toward acceleration, change, liberation, innovation with the Plutonic themes of massive intensification, destruction and regeneration, and return to nature's depths. The music that comes out of this era is just more compelling. It's as if everyone is suddenly struck with a sense that everything old and outdated is ready to die and be destroyed, that there is a war between past and future and that future is winning, everything is changing rapidly and unprecedentedly, and that the energy-enthusiasm of the young, new and fresh is obliterating all that which is old, stale, and obsolete.

ILLsmak
08-15-2019, 01:40 AM
i don't expect music to return to anything remotely good anytime soon. it's utter trash right now.

movies are an interesting topic tho...yeah a lot of trash films lately, but a lot of top actors are going to tv. it used to be top tv actors would do films primarily, but then we started getting really good tv series and it became more common. like the other poster said, some of the best tv has aired recently.

also, tech & science. we rolled into the 20th century on horse and buggy (not really, but we did have shitty primative 4 piston cars that were not capable of highway travel) and came out from it with cars, planes, space ships, the internet, cell phones, theory of relativity, huge advances in physics.

what have we done since 2000? aside from building on already existing tech...what new *life changing* discoveries and inventions have been born since entering a new century? i'm sure posters will list some key discoveries and inventions, maybe some physics discoveries...but you can't tell me we're even close to the pace of the 20th century.

the only thing that could change that would be the first legitimate quantum computer.

I have a theory that the world ended in 2000 or definitely by 2012. People shit on everyone who bought it, but we had kind of soft ends. If you look at 2000 and 2012 both have been landmarks in a decline on every level.

Art will come back around. Trust us doods. We just aren't suffering enough to make good art. People make art about theoretical suffering or something in the news. That's generally not good enough. You at least gotta have some extreme suffering yourself then use the other as well to help people understand.

Social media has been awful for art.

-Smak