PDA

View Full Version : The future of TV streaming services

insidehoops
08-14-2019, 10:52 AM
Just a general rambling semi-coherent thought here, about the future:

It'll be interesting to see what happens with all these TV streaming services.

The "cut the cord" thing is great, because it meant saving money, but now we're seeing more and more streaming services either raise their prices, or split off into their own competing streaming service.

I think people will want at most two services. One for main live current TV, and one for movies/older TV shows. But it's changing. Especially with Disney pulling away.

superduper
08-14-2019, 10:55 AM
A monopoly in a market is always a terrible thing but honestly in this specific market of TV/Movie on demand streaming services I think a monopoly is needed. All of these different services are going to hold the rights to their own shows/movies so we won't have a central place that has everything. Instead every show and movie will be segmented into the different multiple streaming services that hold rights for them...the way we're going it seems like it is going in that direction. We just need one Netflix and thats it but the problem is they can just keep raising the prices on us then.

We're kinda fcuked.

Norcaliblunt
08-14-2019, 10:59 AM
I think coming up there

insidehoops
08-14-2019, 11:29 AM
[QUOTE=Norcaliblunt]I think coming up there

insidehoops
08-14-2019, 11:30 AM
Meanwhile, I will quietly ponder maybe someday having NBA League Pass, and Netflix, and no other TV/movie services.

Just bball and whatever Netflix streams.

insidehoops
08-14-2019, 11:32 AM
A new streaming package (don't know if exists yet, but it will apparently exist soon):

Disney+ and ESPN+ and Hulu will be bundled together as a streaming package for $12.99, per Hollywood Reporter

Shogon
08-14-2019, 11:36 AM
A monopoly in a market is always a terrible thing but honestly in this specific market of TV/Movie on demand streaming services I think a monopoly is needed. All of these different services are going to hold the rights to their own shows/movies so we won't have a central place that has everything. Instead every show and movie will be segmented into the different multiple streaming services that hold rights for them...the way we're going it seems like it is going in that direction. We just need one Netflix and thats it but the problem is they can just keep raising the prices on us then.

We're kinda fcuked.

That's not true.

We need them all to be free. The more the better.

That will keep prices low and honest.

Yeah, it'll suck not being able to access certain content, but that's why you pay for that provider... and as needed, if be.

If someone had a monopoly, as you suggest and even acknowledge at the end of your post, they would just ceaselessly raise the price... like Amazon is going to continue to do with Prime as it puts more and more retailers out of business, lol.

Kblaze8855
08-14-2019, 11:59 AM
I pay 8 dollars a month for 5100 channels, virtually every movie you ever heard of, most new and classic tv series, and every ppv and sports league package.

And I barely use it outside red zone during the football season.

The days of just turning on a TV station and watching what

Thorpesaurous
08-14-2019, 02:38 PM
I think what's eventually going to happen is they're going to start charging for data usage in a way that will drive up the cost of streaming to being comparable to where cable is at. I just don't think they've figured out how yet.

I still haven't become comfortable without the passive TV experience. The flipping and finding something mindless on a lazy Sunday, or before bed. So I have issues with the cord cutting. I've also done some of the free TV app stuff, but the interface just isn't comfortable enough for me.

bladefd
08-14-2019, 05:02 PM
At this point, I'm starting to believe piracy is the only option. It's the only way to stop these greedy bastards. I'm not paying for 6 different services just to get content.

Look at the number of services splitting up content.. Netflix, hbo, amazon prime, sling, vue, directv now, hulu, disney, dc, espn+, showtime, starz, crackle, vevo then they start increasing the prices every year on each individual service.. Get the f out of here, greedy bastards..
:biggums:

I hate to say this, but piracy is becoming the only option.

Facepalm
08-14-2019, 05:11 PM
Fire tv + Morpheus.

You're welcome

bladefd
08-14-2019, 05:11 PM
[QUOTE=Kblaze8855]I pay 8 dollars a month for 5100 channels, virtually every movie you ever heard of, most new and classic tv series, and every ppv and sports league package.

And I barely use it outside red zone during the football season.

The days of just turning on a TV station and watching what

bladefd
08-14-2019, 05:14 PM
Fire tv + Morpheus.

You're welcome

Morpheus has been dead for a while now.. not updated anymore :confusedshrug:

Facepalm
08-14-2019, 05:20 PM
Morpheus has been dead for a while now.. not updated anymore :confusedshrug:

There are replacements. Morph is a good one. There will always be replacemets. I went from Terranium > Titanium > Morpheus and now Morph

NBAGOAT
08-14-2019, 08:12 PM
I rotate now. Subscribe to only a service or two a month. You don