PDA

View Full Version : Team USA just lost a scrimmage to overseas players and G-Leaguers

LoneyROY7
08-14-2019, 05:22 PM
Mike Trudell
@LakersReporter
A collection of G-League/overseas players beat Team USA (closing line up of K. Walker, D. Mitchell, H. Barnes, PJ Tucker and B. Lopez handily in a scrimmage just now to close USA practice. Great effort from the unheralded group.
1:51 PM - 14 Aug 2019

https://media.giphy.com/media/aIZCU6xKBPtug/giphy.gif

Good lord. We in for a rude awakening in a couple weeks.

HylianNightmare
08-14-2019, 05:24 PM
Sad

LoneyROY7
08-14-2019, 05:25 PM
This was the roster of players they lost to:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EB5CCnuW4AAMaBr.jpg

:lol :lol

HylianNightmare
08-14-2019, 05:27 PM
Daquan Jefferies is trash

LAmbruh
08-14-2019, 05:28 PM
@ Euroleague

Levity
08-14-2019, 05:36 PM
step 1 to becoming the new dream team: lose to nobodies.

we coming for you world cup!!!

Xiao Yao You
08-14-2019, 08:26 PM
Sam Amick: As if the Team USA drubbing vs. the Select Team wasn

RedBlackAttack
08-14-2019, 09:16 PM
I mean, do we really expect this lineup to strike fear in the heart of ... anyone?

Kemba Walker
Donovan Mitchell
PJ Tucker
Harrison Barnes
Brooke Lopez

On paper, that team should be absolute trash. It appears the paper is correct.

Xiao Yao You
08-14-2019, 09:17 PM
I mean, do we really expect this lineup to strike fear in the heart of ... anyone?

Kemba Walker
Donovan Mitchell
PJ Tucker
Harrison Barnes
Brooke Lopez

on paper they are still the heavy favorites. No one can match their depth or athletes

RedBlackAttack
08-14-2019, 09:38 PM
on paper they are still the heavy favorites. No one can match their depth or athletes
Yeah, I mean... sure.

When you compare it to a bunch of guys no one has ever heard of that are maybe lucky to have one or two recognizable names, then sure... they should be favorites.

But it needs to be said that this is a sorry excuse for an Olympic team, at least in terms of our past recent squads and even when compared to some of the better amateur teams we put out prior to '92.

This team is about as random and uninteresting as I've ever seen the US put out. :confusedshrug:

That is no shot at any of these guys on the team. I give them credit for going out there and representing the country, but this team not being very good would be unsurprising.

Xiao Yao You
08-14-2019, 09:43 PM
Yeah, I mean... sure.

When you compare it to a bunch of guys no one has ever heard of that are maybe lucky to have one or two recognizable names, then sure... they should be favorites.

But it needs to be said that this is a sorry excuse for an Olympic team, at least in terms of our past recent squads and even when compared to some of the better amateur teams we put out prior to '92.

This team is about as random and uninteresting as I've ever seen the US put out. :confusedshrug:

That is no shot at any of these guys on the team. I give them credit for going out there and representing the country, but this team not being very good would be unsurprising.

It's not an olympic team and no amateur team ever would beat them. Would be very shocking if they weren't any good. Not winning gold wouldn't be. They won't have a big game until the medal round. Turkey is the toughest team in their group. Will be a lot better by the time it means anything.

RRR3
08-14-2019, 09:47 PM

Kemba Walker
Donovan Mitchell
PJ Tucker
Harrison Barnes
Brooke Lopez

That team would be far from trash wtf

Xiao Yao You
08-14-2019, 09:48 PM

No Lebron or Kobe. Must be trash

Bankaii
08-14-2019, 09:53 PM
Let's be honest. That lineup with a decent bench wouldn't even be a contender in the NBA.

Now compare that to the fact that they're representing the entire country in a world tournament.

Xiao Yao You
08-14-2019, 09:55 PM
Let's be honest. That lineup with a decent bench wouldn't even be a contender in the NBA.

Now compare that to the fact that they're representing the entire country in a world tournament.

What international team would be a contender in the NBA?

RRR3
08-14-2019, 09:56 PM

Oh yeah they definitely wouldn’t be a contender (unless Mitchell takes a big leap) but they’d be a solid team for sure. And they still have a great shot to win gold.

Bankaii
08-14-2019, 10:01 PM
What international team would be a contender in the NBA?
I dont really follow international basketball so I honestly don't know how they stack up vs other countries.

I was speaking on how weak they are in comparison to past teams. Moreso the fact that such an average team is the representation of the USA.

The best player on the team (Mitchell?) is barely like top 25 in the NBA, being generous.

RRR3
08-14-2019, 10:02 PM
I dont really follow international basketball so I honestly don't know how they stack up vs other countries.

I was speaking on how weak they are in comparison to past teams. Moreso the fact that such an average team is the representation of the USA.

The best player on the team (Mitchell?) is barely like top 25 in the NBA, being generous.
Kemba>Mitchell easily bro.

Xiao Yao You
08-14-2019, 10:04 PM

Kemba is all NBA. They are young but talented

no other team has 12 NBA players

DoctorP
08-14-2019, 10:30 PM
jeff van gundy?

SamuraiSWISH
08-14-2019, 10:38 PM
Xia said better than 2004 Duncan / Iverson / Marbury Team USA? :oldlol: ****kkk outta here.

And 2002 / 2004 are my least favorite iterations of the National Team ever.

It

LAmbruh
08-14-2019, 10:40 PM
Not quite as pathetic as the 92 team of NBA's best losing to college kids

still awful for NBA's D squad though

RRR3
08-14-2019, 10:41 PM
Not quite as pathetic as the 92 team of NBA's best losing to college kids

still awful for NBA's D squad though
Wait what

LAmbruh
08-14-2019, 10:45 PM
Wait what
[QUOTE]The video, nearly 20 years old, shows the Dream Team doing something they never did at the 1992 Summer Games in Barcelona: losing. They faced a group of top college players that included Grant Hill, Bobby Hurley, Penny Hardaway and Chris Webber, who vowed:

SamuraiSWISH
08-14-2019, 10:45 PM
Wait what
1992 dream team lost the first practice scrimmage to the national select team. Coach Daley purposely sidelined MJ.

He wanted the kids to win to show them they were off chance beatable and to motivate them.

The next game they unleashed Jordan and the college kids got curb stomped.

Xiao Yao You
08-14-2019, 11:26 PM
[QUOTE=SamuraiSWISH]Xia said better than 2004 Duncan / Iverson / Marbury Team USA? :oldlol: ****kkk outta here.

And 2002 / 2004 are my least favorite iterations of the National Team ever.

It

Bankaii
08-14-2019, 11:56 PM
Kemba>Mitchell easily bro.
I was literally looking at the roster and didn't notice Kemba:facepalm :facepalm
Even Kemba isn't that highly ranked.

ralph_i_el
08-14-2019, 11:59 PM

That team might miss the playoffs in the NBA.

ralph_i_el
08-15-2019, 12:03 AM

Some of these guys are just NBA role players. There are plenty of euros who can do what PJ Tucker or Harrison Barnes does.

Greece and Serbia can play a full rotation of NBA-level players and have the two best players in the tournament.

ralph_i_el
08-15-2019, 12:06 AM

Some of these guys are just NBA role players. There are plenty of euros who can do what PJ Tucker or Harrison Barnes does.

Greece and Serbia can play a full rotation of NBA-level players and have the two best players in the tournament.

Canada, Australia, and Lithuania all look tough too, but they are in the same group.

bigkingsfan
08-15-2019, 12:09 AM
1992 dream team lost the first practice scrimmage to the national select team. Coach Daley purposely sidelined MJ.

He wanted the kids to win to show them they were off chance beatable and to motivate them.

Dream team needed MJ to beat college kids. :oldlol:

Mask the Embiid
08-15-2019, 12:11 AM
It's gonna be a rough go for the Celtics this year....they have no....i...deal...whats coming

:oldlol:

https://i.makeagif.com/media/2-04-2018/gXeDbE.gif

http://www.reactiongifs.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/creepster.gif

Elosha
08-15-2019, 12:42 AM

Ouch. I'm not sure who got curbstomped more, the college kids in the second game or you curbstomping Lambruh for failing to mention Jordan was held out of that game.

Elosha
08-15-2019, 12:46 AM

Anything can happen on any given day. Dream Team wasn't used to playing with each other yet and were too deferential with each other. Reminder that Jordan's 84 Olympic team also beat Magic, Bird, Isaiah, and others in a pre-Olympic practice game.

Practice games are usually nowhere close to the real thing, no matter how intense it is.

soots
08-15-2019, 01:04 AM
They should just make it so there is no test for PEDs so we can get all the stars at the FIBA world championships and olympics. Its not fair the US players have to cycle off for these events

Xiao Yao You
08-15-2019, 01:21 AM

They need role players. It's why they lost in 2004.

GimmeThat
08-15-2019, 01:22 AM
sorta what happens when you try to limit your turnovers without it being successful and rebounding positions are all out of whack because everyones' stopping the dribble drive

the closing line up indicates this team can probably play the percentage game and back to the "I take a not skilled 3 point shooter taking a 3 point shot with the clock down strategy" since you're going to need 3 shooters on the floor to cause much of any trouble to them

Xiao Yao You
08-15-2019, 01:29 AM
sorta what happens when you try to limit your turnovers without it being successful and rebounding positions are all out of whack because everyones' stopping the dribble drive

the closing line up indicates this team can probably play the percentage game and back to the "I take a not skilled 3 point shooter taking a 3 point shot with the clock down strategy" since you're going to need 3 shooters on the floor to cause much of any trouble to them

going to have to get them in a half court game to beat them. They are too athletic and will try to turn defense into easy buckets at the other end. Will use their depth to keep fresh legs on the floor

ILLsmak
08-15-2019, 01:49 AM
https://media.giphy.com/media/aIZCU6xKBPtug/giphy.gif

Good lord. We in for a rude awakening in a couple weeks.

lol that's not even a playoff team. Tryin to think of a disparaging word that rhymes with dream. Coach k sign off on that shit?? Can I get a rebounder.

-Smak

SamuraiSWISH
08-15-2019, 02:38 AM
Anything can happen on any given day. Dream Team wasn't used to playing with each other yet and were too deferential with each other. Reminder that Jordan's 84 Olympic team also beat Magic, Bird, Isaiah, and others in a pre-Olympic practice game.

Practice games are usually nowhere close to the real thing, no matter how intense it is.
Exactly. And that was the intent. Dream Team was sleep walking, played hot potatoe too selflessly ... Daley wanted to motivate them. Held their best player, the GOAT, which just poured gasoline on his already innate competitive fire.

Hell, Jordan as an amateur college kid curb stomped as you said a pro team of more in their prime HOFers in 1984. And won a gold medal for USA as an amateur as leaps and bounds their best player.

Meanwhile LeBron at a similar age in 2006 wasn’t even definitively his team’s best player, after three years of pro experience, playing with fellow nba players and stars taking home Lebronze :oldlol:

Wasn’t until Mamba joined the crew, held everyone accountable, gave us an unbeatable intimidating swagger again ... forced the team to follow his lead and to play defense, and was organically the team’s best player who took the keys / wheel to the car in the most crucial moments. Also played the role Jordan did in 92 on the 08 team where he was less concerned with offense and stats ... and willingly wanted to lock down the opposing team’s best perimeter player.

Btw, the 96 team would’ve actually been the best Olympic team ever if they merely swapped Jordan for Stockton.

Xiao Yao You
08-15-2019, 04:00 AM
[QUOTE=SamuraiSWISH]Exactly. And that was the intent. Dream Team was sleep walking, played hot potatoe too selflessly ... Daley wanted to motivate them. Held their best player, the GOAT, which just poured gasoline on his already innate competitive fire.

Hell, Jordan as an amateur college kid curb stomped as you said a pro team of more in their prime HOFers in 1984. And won a gold medal for USA as an amateur as leaps and bounds their best player.

Meanwhile LeBron at a similar age in 2006 wasn

LAmbruh
08-15-2019, 04:06 AM
90's A-squad :oldlol:

https://i.postimg.cc/cLV4qd9d/ghmncvmncghgh.png

Mr Feeny
08-15-2019, 04:12 AM
They would have won without Kobe. Lebron and Wade were their best players. They did a lot of things differently. '96 wouldn't have been better with Jordan

If you think that the 96 dream team wouldn't have been better without Jordan, I'm not sure anyone should take anything that you have to say seriously.

Xiao Yao You
08-15-2019, 04:14 AM
If you think that the 96 dream team wouldn't have been better without Jordan, I'm not sure anyone should take anything that you have to say seriously.

They wouldn't have been better than '92

Mr Feeny
08-15-2019, 04:54 AM

Ah, i see. I misunderstood you. I thought you meant that Jordan joining the 96 team wouldn't have made that team better than it was. I think I agree with you. The dream team would have probably still been better.

Kblaze8855
08-15-2019, 08:05 AM
It's not an olympic team and no amateur team ever would beat them. Would be very shocking if they weren't any good. Not winning gold wouldn't be. They won't have a big game until the medal round. Turkey is the toughest team in their group. Will be a lot better by the time it means anything.

84 all amateurs....

Alvin Robertson
Jordan
Mullin
Tisdale
Ewing
Sam Perkins

No shot?

And they really should have had Barkley, Chuck Person, Terry Porter, and Stockton too but they all got cut for one reason or another. Stockton was cut for Bobby Knights own Indiana point Steve Alford who didnt really think hed make it.

A best case 84 college team could hang with anyone.

They would have had arguably the GOAT defensive backcourt which matters in these guard dominated situations.

I wouldnt bet against them.

FireDavidKahn
08-15-2019, 08:21 AM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EB9ci9jUwAE53zN?format=jpg

:oldlol:

PeroAntic
08-15-2019, 08:55 AM
Its a cycle with the USNT. They send the best, destroy the opposition, get overconfident, underestimate the opposition, send mid tier 'stars' and get embarassed. See 2004 & 2006

Sakkreth
08-15-2019, 09:10 AM
Its a cycle with the USNT. They send the best, destroy the opposition, get overconfident, underestimate the opposition, send mid tier 'stars' and get embarassed. See 2004 & 2006

2004 had many top players. Poor excuse.

SamuraiSWISH
08-15-2019, 10:14 AM
Yes they would’ve.

92 had like rusty Magic, crippled Bird, Stockton was injured.

Everywhere else the 96 team is easily better. And with guys in their prime. More athleticism as well.

I don’t know where you popped up as a poster, but idk where you’re getting your shit basketball takes from. Much like you, probably cause you’re a Jazz mark, thinking this 2019 iteration is even better than 2004 :oldlol: why because a Jazz player is on the roster? Don’t be an idiot.

1996 w/ Mike

C- Shaq / D-Rob / Hakeem
PF- Malone / Barkley
SF- Pippen / Hill
SG- MJ / Miller / Richmond
PG- GP / Penny

No Laetner. This team is full of guys in their prime and not injured. Top of the line defense, length, versatility, athleticism and shooting with Richmond and Miller.

Take a break from ISH ... you’re coming off like than ill informed moron rookie basketball fan.

ralph_i_el
08-15-2019, 10:15 AM
going to have to get them in a half court game to beat them. They are too athletic and will try to turn defense into easy buckets at the other end. Will use their depth to keep fresh legs on the floor

Other teams are going to slow the game down and minimize turnovers.

Phoenix
08-15-2019, 11:29 AM

The 96 team with MJ? You're kidding? Hypothetical....

Backcourt: MJ, Penny, Payton, Richmond, Miller, Stockton

Frontcourt: Shaq, Hakeem, Robinson, Barkley, Malone, Pippen, Hill

You got Shaq in there instead of Laettner. Hakeem a year off back to back titles replacing Ewing. Robinson a year off his MVP. Barkley and Malone while older were more seasoned. Ditto for Scottie. Hill was a full blown superstar. No honorary selections like Bird who was there for a farewell tour. Mullin's role was handled by Reggie and Richmond.

For the backcourt, 92 MJ obviously over 96 MJ but not like 96 ain't holding his own. Stockton was healthy in 96 versus 92. Magic, like Bird was an honorary selection, and easily surpassed by 96 Penny as a player. Payton, the defensive player of the year. And the aforementioned Reggie and Richmond as the designated shooters and fair replacements for Drexler.

That team is quite handily better than 92.

Xiao Yao You
08-15-2019, 12:14 PM
84 all amateurs....

Alvin Robertson
Jordan
Mullin
Tisdale
Ewing
Sam Perkins

No shot?

And they really should have had Barkley, Chuck Person, Terry Porter, and Stockton too but they all got cut for one reason or another. Stockton was cut for Bobby Knights own Indiana point Steve Alford who didnt really think hed make it.

A best case 84 college team could hang with anyone.

They would have had arguably the GOAT defensive backcourt which matters in these guard dominated situations.

I wouldnt bet against them.

MJ might give them a chance in a one game loser is out format but they would be a heavy underdog. Malone was cut as well. The boycott makes the '84 team look better than they might have really been.

Xiao Yao You
08-15-2019, 12:16 PM

2006 they had the guys to win it. That one is on coach K. This team isn't like the mess of 2004

Xiao Yao You
08-15-2019, 12:18 PM
Other teams are going to slow the game down and minimize turnovers.

they will try. There's what a handful of teams at most that even have a chance for the upset

Relinquish
08-15-2019, 12:18 PM
step 1 to becoming the new dream team: lose to nobodies.

we coming for you world cup!!!

This is FIBA not the Olympics. :facepalm

The FIBA teams will never be top, top tier.

Kblaze8855
08-15-2019, 12:22 PM
MJ might give them a chance in a one game loser is out format but they would be a heavy underdog. Malone was cut as well. The boycott makes the '84 team look better than they might have really been.

Rookie MJ would be the best player on either team. Alvin was 22....not in his prime....but at 23 he was the NBA DPOY. Ewing was 22. Those guys were the ages of 2-3 year NBA vets of today. They had some experience. It wouldnt be MJ and some guys. It was a number of legit NBA players.

Psileas
08-15-2019, 12:36 PM

You got Shaq in there instead of Laettner. Hakeem a year off back to back titles replacing Ewing. Robinson a year off his MVP. Barkley and Malone while older were more seasoned. Ditto for Scottie. Hill was a full blown superstar. No honorary selections like Bird who was there for a farewell tour. Mullin's role was handled by Reggie and Richmond.

For the backcourt, 92 MJ obviously over 96 MJ but not like 96 ain't holding his own. Stockton was healthy in 96 versus 92. Magic, like Bird was an honorary selection, and easily surpassed by 96 Penny as a player. Payton, the defensive player of the year. And the aforementioned Reggie and Richmond as the designated shooters and fair replacements for Drexler.

Hell, no. '92 Magic was 1 season off his '91 campaign, when he was still a top 2 player and leader in the league. No way is '96 (or any) Penny better, let alone "easily".
In the end, roster doesn't matter that much. Unlike '92 DT, '96 DT had no serious motivation. They were playing at home but were too lazy to bother blowing out everyone '92 style. Of course, the world was progressively catching up, but a '96 USA struggling vs a not-yet-powerhouse Argentina for more than a whole 1st half, not managing to dominate weak Angola or Brazil and being in danger of losing to Serbia for like 30 minutes isn't exactly the stuff of a team which is 1 player away from being better than the DT1.

Levity
08-15-2019, 12:39 PM
This is FIBA not the Olympics. :facepalm

The FIBA teams will never be top, top tier.

the literalism in you is strong

Xiao Yao You
08-15-2019, 12:49 PM
Rookie MJ would be the best player on either team. Alvin was 22....not in his prime....but at 23 he was the NBA DPOY. Ewing was 22. Those guys were the ages of 2-3 year NBA vets of today. They had some experience. It wouldnt be MJ and some guys. It was a number of legit NBA players.

great amateur team no doubt. Maybe the best. They wouldn't be favored over the current team

Phoenix
08-15-2019, 01:05 PM
Hell, no. '92 Magic was 1 season off his '91 campaign, when he was still a top 2 player and leader in the league. No way is '96 (or any) Penny better, let alone "easily".

Alot of people early on in 96 when Orlando jumped out to a good start in Shaq's absence, were calling Penny the best player in the league. This was like in November/December. True or not, I recall the media using that term early on. Magic in 92 was a full year away from NBA competition, outside of the all-star game. He could still orchestrate and facilitate like nobody's business but at 33 years old, a year away from the game and post HIV-diagnosis, I disagree he was as good as 96 Penny which was his best version. I think by 91 he had ceded '2nd best player' to Barkley anyways despite the MVP vote. Barkley was a credible MVP the prior season when Magic won it.

If you take 92 Olympic Magic and drop him into 95-96 season he's not going to be getting calls as the best player in the league, going neck and neck with MJ, like Penny was at one point. Magic would obviously have the championship pedigree, but that's as far as that comparison goes in Magic's favor.

TheMan
08-15-2019, 01:35 PM
Ah, i see. I misunderstood you. I thought you meant that Jordan joining the 96 team wouldn't have made that team better than it was. I think I agree with you. The dream team would have probably still been better.
That 96 team had every player at or near their peak, the 92 team had Laettner who should never have been on that team, over Shaq no less :facepalm and a well past his prime Bird. Swap Stockton or Richmond for MJ and thats the GOAT US team.

Mr Feeny
08-15-2019, 03:57 PM
That 96 team had every player at or near their peak, the 92 team had Laettner who should never have been on that team, over Shaq no less :facepalm and a well past his prime Bird. Swap Stockton or Richmond for MJ and thats the GOAT US team.

Also true. Bird was struggling with his back and Magic wasn't the same magic. I still think it was formidable and Stockton, Pippen, Malone, Barkley, and Clyde were all monsters.

But yes, the 96 team would have been incredible had they had Penny, MJ, Shaq, Poppen, and Hakeem. Now that I'm typing this, I'm coming around to your viewpoint. That team would have been scary.

SamuraiSWISH
08-15-2019, 04:37 PM

Totally ****ing gets it.

I mean you would have to take one player off the team in order to fit Jordan in there, but holy shit, somebody who actually knows what they’re talking about. And just reiterating all the points I already made. But more in depth.

That 1996 team is handily better than the 1992 team. The perimeter defense is absurd with the addition of Gary Payton. As if it already was crazy enough with Jordan and Pippen in 1992. The shooting from outside is even better. Larry Bird and Chris Mullin where the shooters on the 1992 team. But Larry could barely stay on the court by that point. You replace Mullin with Reggie and Mitch Richmond?

And you still have the same level if not better of interior defense and rebounding with the same power forwards, David Robinson, but then swap out Patrick for Hakeem and a then entering his prime Shaquille O’Neal? Are you kidding me?

Let’s also not forget that that is basically the best version of Penny Hardaway. Who was the best point guard in the game. And Grant Hill, the best offensive point forward in the game.

As it stands now that 1996 team has an argument for being the best team USA. Yes, maybe slightly underneath the dream team. As good or better than the redeem team and the 2012 team

And the hypothetical of adding 33-year-old, raining MVP Michael Jordan to that team? And if you don’t think that that is the best Olympic team we would’ve ever had ... Then you’re basketball retarded

ralph_i_el
08-15-2019, 04:50 PM
they will try. There's what a handful of teams at most that even have a chance for the upset

A much better USA team got played close by Australia in 2016 (needed Melo to go crazy in the 4th to take the lead and win).

This is not a dominant team that is going into games with a 95% chance of winning.

I'd bet money the US loses at least one game in this tournament.

SamuraiSWISH
08-15-2019, 04:50 PM
The ideal 2000 and 2004 teams could’ve been amazing as well. But the only person you need to add to the 1996 team that would put it at undisputed goat level is Jordan

Phoenix
08-15-2019, 04:55 PM
Totally ****ing gets it.

I mean you would have to take one player off the team in order to fit Jordan in there, but holy shit, somebody who actually knows what they’re talking about. And just reiterating all the points I already made. But more in depth.

That 1996 team is handily better than the 1992 team. The perimeter defense is absurd with the addition of Gary Payton. As if it already was crazy enough with Jordan and Pippen in 1992. The shooting from outside is even better. Larry Bird and Chris Mullin where the shooters on the 1992 team. But Larry could barely stay on the court by that point. You replace Mullin with Reggie and Mitch Richmond?

And you still have the same level if not better of interior defense and rebounding with the same power forwards, David Robinson, but then swap out Patrick for hockey team and a van entering his prime Shaquille O’Neal? Are you kidding me?

Let’s also not forget that that is basically the best version of Penny Hardaway. Who was the best point guard in the game. And Grant Hill, the best offensive point forward in the game.

As it stands now that 1996 team has an argument for being the best team USA. Yes, maybe slightly underneath the dream team. As good or better than the redeem team and the 2012 team

And the hypothetical of adding 33-year-old, raining MVP Michael Jordan to that team? And if you don’t think that that is the best Olympic team we would’ve ever had ... Then you’re basketball retarded

Yeah, didn't think about who would be omitted. I'm guessing Richmond gets taken off for MJ? Mitch was real nice but as a designated pure shooter and big game player Reggie more than ably fills that role. Or, if they want Mitch as a second shooter leave off Stockton and you're left with Penny and Payton as your points. Hill and Scottie were also facilitators so there's no shortage of playmaking.

You could have gone any way you wanted with that team. Imagine throwing out an 'athlete' lineup with Penny, MJ, Scottie, Hill and Malone. Need defense? Ok, Payton and MJ in the backcourt, Scottie at the 3, and a twin tower C/PF combo of Admiral and Dream. Big lineup? No problem, Penny and MJ in the backcourt, Barkley at the 3 and any combo you like from Shaq, Hakeem, Admiral and Malone. The combinations and possibilities are dizzying.

That 96 team even without Jordan on there gives the 92 squad all it can handle, and has clear advantages in the frontcourt and could offer several looks on the perimeter.

Xiao Yao You
08-15-2019, 05:09 PM
A much better USA team got played close by Australia in 2016 (needed Melo to go crazy in the 4th to take the lead and win).

This is not a dominant team that is going into games with a 95% chance of winning.

I'd bet money the US loses at least one game in this tournament.

won't win the gold if they lose a game. Unlikely to lose before the medal round with Turkey their toughest foe

Psileas
08-15-2019, 05:24 PM
Alot of people early on in 96 when Orlando jumped out to a good start in Shaq's absence, were calling Penny the best player in the league. This was like in November/December. True or not, I recall the media using that term early on. Magic in 92 was a full year away from NBA competition, outside of the all-star game. He could still orchestrate and facilitate like nobody's business but at 33 years old, a year away from the game and post HIV-diagnosis, I disagree he was as good as 96 Penny which was his best version. I think by 91 he had ceded '2nd best player' to Barkley anyways despite the MVP vote. Barkley was a credible MVP the prior season when Magic won it.

If you take 92 Olympic Magic and drop him into 95-96 season he's not going to be getting calls as the best player in the league, going neck and neck with MJ, like Penny was at one point. Magic would obviously have the championship pedigree, but that's as far as that comparison goes in Magic's favor.

Penny started the season incredibly, true, but we see lots of stuff happening early on but not lasting for the whole year. E.g, he was at 27 ppg after 20 games. But he came down to earth eventually, though he still remained an MVP candidate. So on in the playoffs, with him having good games here and there, but not consistently and without producing some memorably great postseason.

Phoenix
08-15-2019, 05:49 PM
Penny started the season incredibly, true, but we see lots of stuff happening early on but not lasting for the whole year. E.g, he was at 27 ppg after 20 games. But he came down to earth eventually, though he still remained an MVP candidate. So on in the playoffs, with him having good games here and there, but not consistently and without producing some memorably great postseason.

His scoring went down once Shaq was reincorporated into the offense. The 27ppg he was putting up early on was probably more indicative of the numbers he could put up as the number one option over a season. 92 Magic would have been still capable of vintage play even with his health, in spurts, but I think it's a stretch to think he would have been a better overall player over a 48 minute game than 96 Penny.

Xiao Yao You
08-15-2019, 05:54 PM
Mike Trudell: A few of the USA players were asked about the scrimmage loss yesterday and (rightly) dismissed it. Came off 2 hours of practice against a fresh/hungry group of guys. Not a game. That happens all the time, dating back to the Dream Team. Should be no significance attached.

coin24
08-15-2019, 06:00 PM
[QUOTE=Xiao Yao You]Mike Trudell: A few of the USA players were asked about the scrimmage loss yesterday and (rightly) dismissed it. Came off 2 hours of practice against a fresh/hungry group of guys. Not a game. That happens all the time, dating back to the Dream Team. Should be no significance attached.

Xiao Yao You
08-15-2019, 06:07 PM
Damage control.

That team is full of betas and career losers. Good luck with that:lol

basketball is a game of runs. Getting beat in a 10 minute scrimmage isn't the same as beating a deep USA squad for a whole game.

coin24
08-15-2019, 06:43 PM
basketball is a game of runs. Getting beat in a 10 minute scrimmage isn't the same as beating a deep USA squad for a whole game.

They sucked in 10 mins, times that by four.

No shit practice is different, in a real game they'll get destroyed. Mentally weak beta team

Xiao Yao You
08-15-2019, 06:45 PM
They sucked in 10 mins, times that by four.

No shit practice is different, in a real game they'll get destroyed. Mentally weak beta team

first meaningful game is September 6th. This is still training camp. They will be a lot better in 3 weeks

PeroAntic
08-15-2019, 09:02 PM
2004 had many top players. Poor excuse.
Hey these are 'top' players too. Just not the best.

same in 2006 btw. US tend to overestimate its near all stars.

ralph_i_el
08-15-2019, 09:10 PM
won't win the gold if they lose a game. Unlikely to lose before the medal round with Turkey their toughest foe

I take the field. They're the favorite, but I think there's a better than 50% chance of them not winning gold.

SamuraiSWISH
08-16-2019, 02:28 AM

Superstar Attendees:

Duncan
Iverson
Marbury

Superstar Non Attendees:

Kobe
Garnett
Kidd
McGrady
Shaq

R. Allen
V. Carter
P. Pierce
M. Bibby

This was the absolute best 12 man USA roster at the time. Besides those three that went everyone was rookies, too young or high tier role players.

sammichoffate
08-16-2019, 02:36 AM

Superstar Attendees:

Duncan
Iverson
Marbury

Superstar Non Attendees:

Kobe
Garnett
Kidd
McGrady
Shaq

R. Allen
V. Carter
P. Pierce
M. Bibby

This was the absolute best 12 man USA roster at the time. Besides those three that went everyone was rookies, too young or high tier role players.The coach didn't play LeBron, Wade, or Melo that much either. He started Iverson and Marbury together :lol

SamuraiSWISH
08-16-2019, 02:43 AM
The coach didn't play LeBron, Wade, or Melo that much either. He started Iverson and Marbury together :lol
You do know that Iverson and Marbury were basically their best players, right?

In fact Marbury out right won an entire game for them he had such a good performance. He wasn’t the joke people like to make him out to be now.

Duncan, their should be best player, and why it’s swept under the rug I’ll never know. Was actually quite easily the most disappointing aspect to the team. Was constantly in foul trouble and was just underwhelming internationally in general.

LeBron, Wade and Melo weren’t ready for that stage or burden quite yet. 2006 should’ve been their first coming out party and it still kind of was because Brown didn’t play them much. But they were green.

The rest of the guys I named were the best players for our country in the sport, all in their primes or near the apex of their games, with ample shooting and should’ve been on the squad.

Residual 9/11 fears kept a lot of them out. Because the 2003 FIBA qualifying team had a lot of those guys I named, and they curb stomped the competition. Including Argentina. Which is often forgotten.

In between the failures of 2002 in Indiana and the failure of 2004. That 2003 team was nice.

sammichoffate
08-16-2019, 04:02 AM
[QUOTE=SamuraiSWISH]You do know that Iverson and Marbury were basically their best players, right?

In fact Marbury out right won an entire game for them he had such a good performance. He wasn

brutalBBQ
08-16-2019, 04:04 AM

Canada, Australia, and Lithuania all look tough too, but they are in the same group.

+1
Australia got robbed at the last Olympicsfor the bronze, I can't help but think FIBA is enjoying this scenario in a way to promote the game, and yes, they don't influence an individuals decision to pull of team USA but its going to be closer competition for USA with the current roster. It also demonstrates the rest of the world is catching up to NBA standards.

SamuraiSWISH
08-16-2019, 06:08 AM
Neither of them could shoot consistently, that's like putting Monta Ellis and Brandon Jennings out there and expecting good things to happen. They also put no prep time in, they expected to step on the court and stomp everyone w/ no chemistry because they were arrogant af. They also didn't play any defense, Larry Brown didn't do shit to get them ready they lost to Lithuania and Puerto Rico :roll:
I agree with all that but comparing Iverson and Marbury to Monta and Jennings? Come on bruh lol ...

But the rest, totally agree with.

Yet still not near enough blame is put on Duncan

Xiao Yao You
08-16-2019, 07:12 AM
Neither of them could shoot consistently, that's like putting Monta Ellis and Brandon Jennings out there and expecting good things to happen. They also put no prep time in, they expected to step on the court and stomp everyone w/ no chemistry because they were arrogant af. They also didn't play any defense, Larry Brown didn't do shit to get them ready they lost to Lithuania and Puerto Rico :roll:

that is the big difference between this year's team. They are trying to build a team to win. They don't expect to be handed anything

FireDavidKahn
08-16-2019, 07:29 AM
The coach didn't play LeBron, Wade, or Melo that much either. He started Iverson and Marbury together :lol
Wasn't that Larry Brown? That guy did not age well in terms of coaching.

fourkicks44
08-16-2019, 07:32 AM
This was the roster of players they lost to:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EB5CCnuW4AAMaBr.jpg

:lol :lol

Two of those players on the select team sat on the end of 76ers' bench less than two years ago....

Let that sink in

Derka
08-16-2019, 09:08 AM
The 92 Dream Team lost a scrimmage to a bunch of college players.

But yeah, this is totally a big deal.

DoctorP
08-16-2019, 11:18 AM

no they didn't. have any research?

FKAri
08-16-2019, 11:31 AM
96 team + MJ > 92 team. I agree with that. 92 team had a lot of names but they weren't at their best at that time but were kept on largely for promotional reasons.

https://offthedribble.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/05/09/the-dream-teams-very-bad-day/

This is common knowledge at this point. Though, MJ sat out.

SamuraiSWISH
08-16-2019, 11:32 AM

I already mentioned this, and you

sdot_thadon
08-16-2019, 11:33 AM
I thought that was a pretty well known story by now.

Mr Feeny
08-16-2019, 11:36 AM

It was both written about in the Dream team book by Jack Mc as well as mentioned in the NBA TV dream team doc. Mike S basically told viewers that Daly tanked the game by subbing Jordan out everytime they came close. He wanted them to lose so that they would he on their toes and understand that they can't let up during the Olympic games or risk losing the way they did in the scrimmage.

The following day, with Jordan back, they decimated the same team. Lesson learned.

ArbitraryWater
08-16-2019, 11:38 AM

Kemba Walker
Donovan Mitchell
PJ Tucker
Harrison Barnes
Brooke Lopez

put kyrie in there and u got a winning squad bay bay

Sakkreth
08-16-2019, 11:42 AM
Hey these are 'top' players too. Just not the best.

same in 2006 btw. US tend to overestimate its near all stars.

You can't compare this to 2004. Who is even close on this team to 2004 Tim Duncan? 2004 team had like 6 guys who were better than this team's best player.

Miles and Miles
08-16-2019, 11:51 AM
Talk'n 'bout practice

Xiao Yao You
08-17-2019, 01:57 AM
Beat the number 2 team in the world. Maybe not as bad as everyone thinks

NBAGOAT
08-17-2019, 02:27 AM
Beating Spain is impressive. I

DoctorP
08-17-2019, 03:40 AM
96 team + MJ > 92 team. I agree with that. 92 team had a lot of names but they weren't at their best at that time but were kept on largely for promotional reasons.

https://offthedribble.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/05/09/the-dream-teams-very-bad-day/

This is common knowledge at this point. Though, MJ sat out.

Thanks for the evidence. Good stuff.