PDA

View Full Version : Where do you rank McHale among GOAT Powerforwards?

Round Mound
08-25-2019, 10:41 PM
Check Out These Post Moves:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7N_TBTQA5o&t=184s

:bowdown:

Nikola_
08-26-2019, 08:15 AM
not enough running, jumping , dunking and overall blackness to appreciate

Thorpesaurous
08-26-2019, 08:39 AM
Ranking is difficult because I fully believe you have to give credit for what people accomplish. And McHale just didn't get quite enough done. But from a skillset perspective, I prefer his back to the basket game, and rim protection, and he was shockingly effective as a switch perimeter defender until he blew up his foot and played on it in 87, to the more one sided game of Dirk, or Karl Malone. Or the fadeaway driven offense of KG. Not that I'd "rank" him ahead of those guys, just that if I'm building a roster, I think I prefer that skill set and would fill up my usage somewhere else.

He's also a guy who's probably a better fit in the current game as a center than most people would think.

stalkerforlife
08-26-2019, 08:48 AM
Ahead of Barkley.

Marchesk
08-26-2019, 09:20 AM
Reminds me of some ESPN radio show where they were talking crap about previous generations, saying how Bird and McHale look stiff compared to athletes today.

Not sure why those two were singled out. Would they have said that about Dominique or MJ? Anyway, Bird would be amazing in today's game, and McHale's skills work in any era. Plus he was a good shooter. I'd take McHale over Love.

FKAri
08-26-2019, 09:45 AM
Ranking is difficult because I fully believe you have to give credit for what people accomplish. And McHale just didn't get quite enough done. But from a skillset perspective, I prefer his back to the basket game, and rim protection, and he was shockingly effective as a switch perimeter defender until he blew up his foot and played on it in 87, to the more one sided game of Dirk, or Karl Malone. Or the fadeaway driven offense of KG. Not that I'd "rank" him ahead of those guys, just that if I'm building a roster, I think I prefer that skill set and would fill up my usage somewhere else.

He's also a guy who's probably a better fit in the current game as a center than most people would think.
How would his game translate today when you can just crowd the post and force the guy to give it up? He'd play differently today.

I'd take McHale over Love.
One would hope so.

Dr Hawk
08-26-2019, 10:11 AM
Duncan
Dirk
Garnett
Barkley
Malone
Pau
McHale

JohnnySic
08-26-2019, 01:19 PM
Duncan
Garnett
Malone
Barkley
Dirk
Pettit
McHale

Round Mound
08-26-2019, 07:00 PM
Pau over McHale? :roll:

PP34Deuce
08-26-2019, 10:33 PM
McHale preinjury wasnt explosive but he was nimble with long wingspan. Hed be a 20 12 guy in every era.

FireDavidKahn
08-26-2019, 11:21 PM
:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

Gotta appreciate the shear amount of talent that unathletic players can have simply due to their skill. Just imagine if McHale or Bird were great athletes (relative to the NBA)...

1987_Lakers
08-26-2019, 11:55 PM
McHale was a pretty good athlete, in fact Boston would often put McHale on the explosive SFs like Dominique and Bird guarding the PF. McHale's defense is what gets overlooked the most, he had the ability to guard Cs, PFs, & SFs at a high level. His rebounding and passing ability were not elite by any means, but his ability to score with crazy efficiency and his individual defense was one of the best ever from the PF spot.

ShawkFactory
08-27-2019, 12:21 AM
Pau over McHale? :roll:
Completely differently players playing the same position.

Pau was pretty scary in international play. We had a team of hall of famers in 2008 at the olympics and he still scared the shit out of all of us leading that team. He was so smart, and reacted quicker that pretty much everyone on the floor.

He certainly didn

Round Mound
08-27-2019, 02:00 AM
McHale was a pretty good athlete, in fact Boston would often put McHale on the explosive SFs like Dominique and Bird guarding the PF. McHale's defense is what gets overlooked the most, he had the ability to guard Cs, PFs, & SFs at a high level. His rebounding and passing ability were not elite by any means, but his ability to score with crazy efficiency and his individual defense was one of the best ever from the PF spot.

:applause:

Round Mound
08-27-2019, 02:00 AM
[QUOTE=ShawkFactory]Completely differently players playing the same position.

Pau was pretty scary in international play. We had a team of hall of famers in 2008 at the olympics and he still scared the shit out of all of us leading that team. He was so smart, and reacted quicker that pretty much everyone on the floor.

He certainly didn

Mask the Embiid
08-27-2019, 02:14 AM
A less athletic jahlil okafor...wouldnt make it in todays game

Career wise though he's top 10 PF easy...Dude dominated his weak era

Round Mound
08-27-2019, 02:15 AM

:roll: :no: :wtf: :rolleyes:

Round Mound
08-27-2019, 02:16 AM
:no: Suggest you watch the 1986 finals and how McHale destroyed Ralph Sampson.

And Ralph is one of the most athletic 7'1 ft powerforwards before injuries like that year.:confusedshrug:

tanibanana
08-27-2019, 04:24 AM
I was not able too see all PF playing, so i would simply go with all their records, stats, achievements;

1. T. Duncan
2. K. Malone
3. D. Nowitzki
4. C. Barkley
5. B. Pettit
6. K. Garnett
7. E. Hayes
8. D. Schayes
9. K. McHale

FireDavidKahn
08-27-2019, 11:07 AM
I'm talking in terms of other NBA players. Purely as an athlete McHale is closer to the lower end vs. higher end for NBA athletes.

I love watching unathletic (again in the context of other NBA players) dominate because it just shows how truly skilled they are.

Hey Yo
08-27-2019, 11:15 AM
:no: Suggest you watch the 1986 finals and how McHale destroyed Ralph Sampson.
Watched game 1 the other night. McHale did a couple up and under fakes against Ralph that got him to bite each time. It was hard for any big not to bite on that Mchale move.

Wally450
08-27-2019, 11:22 AM

Oh lordy...

Phoenix
08-27-2019, 11:32 AM

Ok.

Phoenix
08-27-2019, 11:34 AM

Oh lordy...

Two accounts with the same Kyrie pic, the slogan cancer, with the appearance of contradictory views. I won't make any assumptions.