PDA

View Full Version : It was a nice play and all and no doubt iconic among people of a certain age but.....

Kblaze8855
08-30-2019, 05:38 PM
....John Starks twitter name is "StarksTheDunk" and his twitter pic is the dunk?

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/BlackAdventurousIcelandgull-size_restricted.gif

Ok. It was nice. up 3 in game 2 of the 93 ECF. Sealed the game...then we won the next 3(maybe 4) and it didnt matter. It mattered to him I understand and im not saying he just...shouldnt celebrate his most famous play. But...StarksTheDunk 26 years later?

In all honesty it should be

"StarksTheGuyWhoGotRejectedOnaTitleWinningShot"

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/EnormousFlawedAmericanquarterhorse-size_restricted.gif

"StarksTheHeadbutt" or "StarksTheOtherGuyinReggieMillerhighlights"

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/GrandDearGentoopenguin-size_restricted.gif

Maybe even

"StarksTheTurnover"

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/MisguidedWebbedChicken-size_restricted.gif

It may not seem like it but I actually liked John Starks in a way. Mostly for things like this:

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/AggressiveShallowBear-size_restricted.gif

He played hard and had wild hustle and fight in him.

I just...think hes holding a little too tight to that moment.

JohnnySic
08-30-2019, 05:59 PM
Starks is really popular in NY for some reason. I think its because he generated enough bricks in the '94 finals to build half that city.

Kblaze8855
08-30-2019, 06:03 PM
Im sure they still love him like they love Oak. If that shot had gone in in 94 he might have a statue. Most important shot you never see replayed.....and perhaps the best example that nothing you do on defense matters.

Hakeem blocked a shot to win the title....and its been shown and discussed on tv exactly zero times since that week. We have seen him have david robinson "Just bamboozled" 4500 times. Even talking about Hakeem specifically...its never mentioned.

And if you watch the whole play he had two people WIDE open one of them Ewing. But he wanted the 3 for the ring and not the 2 for OT.

Dro
08-30-2019, 06:22 PM
Sh*t, I respect anybody who went from bagging groceries to playing in the NBA. Thats what I respect the most. Most of these dudes now grow up having their asses kissed because they're so talented and thats why most of them don't have the heart that Starks did. I say that as a Pacer fan who hated him of course.

Having said that, this dunk is a bit overrated. People act like he dunked on 2 people when he really only dunked on Horace Grant and even that one, he didn't really POSTERIZE him, it was more to the side. But I watched the game live and at the time, it was totally out of left field. I mean we knew Starks could dunk on people. He's had some NICE, and I mean NICE posters but this one is a bit overrated.

imdaman99
08-30-2019, 09:21 PM
Starks had more heart than any of the SGs in this generation. He was bagging groceries yet made the most of his situation. Sure he missed a lot of shots, but he never backed down from anyone. NYC loves guys that put it all on the line. But there are plenty of NYers I speak with that hate him for his 2-18 in game 7. It was a low point in my fandom, and the closest I came to seeing a championship... and they only lost by 7-8 I think. The game before he put the Knicks on his back and lead a comeback in the 4th. Of course Hakeem blocked his shot (as you gif'd), but Olajuwon shitted on Ewing the entire series.

SouBeachTalents
08-30-2019, 09:24 PM
Starks had more heart than any of the SGs in this generation. He was bagging groceries yet made the most of his situation. Sure he missed a lot of shots, but he never backed down from anyone. NYC loves guys that put it all on the line. But there are plenty of NYers I speak with that hate him for his 2-18 in game 7. It was a low point in my fandom, and the closest I came to seeing a championship... and they only lost by 7-8 I think. The game before he put the Knicks on his back and lead a comeback in the 4th. Of course Hakeem blocked his shot (as you gif'd), but Olajuwon shitted on Ewing the entire series.
The sad thing is, Starks is probably on his way to FMVP had they won in Game 6. But that's how thin the margin of error is. Starks gets that 3 off clean over Hakeem, he's a New York icon forever. Now? Dude is most known for having the WOAT Game 7 performance. Sports can be cruel bruh

warriorfan
08-30-2019, 09:38 PM
Starks scored 18 ppg on 500 TS in the 94 Finals

Klay Thompson scored 16 ppg on 500 TS in the 2015 Finals

One is a

305Baller
08-30-2019, 10:17 PM
to go from Starks the bag boy to Starks the choker is a big deal though

hahahahaahahahahahahahahahahaha

that dunk was his peak. his erection. let him admire the size of his *****

72-10
08-30-2019, 11:04 PM
Don't we call Penny's pass "The Assist"? Talk about ruling out all of Magic's brilliance.

Stringer Bell
08-30-2019, 11:16 PM
Ewing deserves more blame for that finals loss than Starks. Ewing was the franchise player and put together a historically bad offensive finals. Unlike the Hakeem/Shaq finals, Hakeem did not get more help here than his opposing center. New York

Kblaze8855
08-31-2019, 09:54 AM
[QUOTE=warriorfan]Starks scored 18 ppg on 500 TS in the 94 Finals

Klay Thompson scored 16 ppg on 500 TS in the 2015 Finals

One is a

egokiller
08-31-2019, 10:37 AM
I think John Starks was kind of like what AI represented before AI ever came into the league. He was a guy you just rooted for because he had the most heart on the team much like AI. I don't think of Starks as a loser much like I don't think of AI as a loser, even though factually speaking, they lost in the finals.

Not to bring LeBron into this but he's the perfect example of what people who actually understand the game of basketball consider to be a loser. Last time I checked these guys weren't walking around acting like insecure individuals with "check my stats" shirts.

PickernRoller
08-31-2019, 10:43 AM
All sports are littered with players who fell short and hang on to what they think were career defining moments on a losing effort. Not everyone gets to be MJ or Kobe, or the other select few winners with all the glory and the bulletproof memento.

It's what it's.

egokiller
08-31-2019, 10:45 AM
All sports are littered with players who fell short and hang on to what they think were career defining moments on a losing effort. Not everyone gets to be MJ or Kobe, or the other select few winners with all the glory.

It's what it's.

Yep, but at least some of those which lost in the finals actually still command respect.

It's very clear which losers get no respect.:lol

PickernRoller
08-31-2019, 10:48 AM
Yep, but at least some of those which lost in the finals actually still command respect.

It's very clear which losers get no respect.:lol

Ohh we're very clear on that...:cheers:

Kblaze8855
08-31-2019, 11:26 AM
Can

SouBeachTalents
08-31-2019, 11:28 AM
[QUOTE=Kblaze8855]Can

bullettooth
08-31-2019, 11:47 AM
....John Starks twitter name is "StarksTheDunk" and his twitter pic is the dunk?

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/BlackAdventurousIcelandgull-size_restricted.gif

Why do MJ haters always say Starks dunked on him in that play? He didn't. He dunked on Horace. MJ was behind Horace on that play.

Are people blind or just stupid?

egokiller
08-31-2019, 12:08 PM
Why do MJ haters always say Starks dunked on him in that play? He didn't. He dunked on Horace. MJ was behind Horace on that play.

I never even understood MJ haters back during his 3 peats, yet alone now. He shit on my Cavs and it was just a matter of respecting his greatness. Not sure why so many knicks and jazz fans had a problem with it. Fast forward 20+ years later and people try to use MJ not getting dunked on as a way to somehow diminish him. The mental gymnastics they put themselves through to come up with that shit must be quite the spectacle.

Hey Yo
08-31-2019, 12:13 PM

MJ had his hand up trying to contest/block the dunk attempt.

If you're contesting a dunk and fail, that's called getting dunked on. Not surprised you needed an explanation.

3ball
08-31-2019, 12:21 PM
It's an extremely rare play because you never see right-handers go baseline and dunk lefty like that..

it's rarely used footwork on a lefty dunk that Starks brought out at a rare time... A nice demonstration of skill.. it's the one thing that MJ says to Starks when they run into each other "you know you didn't dunk on me right..."

egokiller
08-31-2019, 12:29 PM

If you're contesting a dunk and fail, that's called getting dunked on. Not surprised you needed an explanation.

And here comes the mental gymnastics I was referencing. :lol

You can tell this guy has never played any basketball in his life.

Here ya go chico... just in case you ever pick up a basketball....

https://pgcbasketball.com/blog/hand-position-defense/

bullettooth
08-31-2019, 12:40 PM

This is exactly the kind of stupidity I was talking about. Yeah, he REALLY contested that dunk with Horace in the way.....

:banghead:

Nikola_
08-31-2019, 12:53 PM
wasnt that dunk actually affected how defense reacted in the future

Hey Yo
08-31-2019, 01:24 PM
And here comes the mental gymnastics I was referencing. :lol

You can tell this guy has never played any basketball in his life.

Here ya go chico... just in case you ever pick up a basketball....

https://pgcbasketball.com/blog/hand-position-defense/
So nobody's ever got dunked on? They just extend their hand for a distraction, not an actual block attempt??

LOL at how dumb you are.

BarberSchool
08-31-2019, 01:27 PM
Every NY'er talks about this like it's on par with Jordan or Pippen demoralizing Ewing......

Starks didn't even break the rim away yo.

Hey Yo
08-31-2019, 01:27 PM
This is exactly the kind of stupidity I was talking about. Yeah, he REALLY contested that dunk with Horace in the way.....

:banghead:
You can see MJ's arm extended with the hope's of blocking the shot.

Denying you dont see that shows you're dumber than Straight_Altin.

bullettooth
08-31-2019, 01:37 PM
You can see MJ's arm extended with the hope's of blocking the shot.

Denying you dont see that shows you're dumber than Straight_Altin.

Why do you lie and try so hard to double down?

90sgoat
08-31-2019, 01:41 PM
John Starks was like an athletic Pat Beverly with more offensive game.

He'd be a huge fan favorite today.

Guards were better dunkers back then. Two foot dunking was an actual useful skill in the age of big centers camping in the paint.

egokiller
08-31-2019, 01:52 PM
Why do you lie and try so hard to double down?

Because his posing career on ISH is based on double fails. It's explained to him that MJ was holding up his hands as part of normal defensive posture even though he wasn't dunked on and his best response is: "So nobody's ever got dunked on?" :roll:

305Baller
08-31-2019, 01:54 PM
hes a bum!!!!

Kblaze8855
12-16-2022, 12:36 PM
His lawyer even found a way to bring it up in an argument to move a tower from in front of his Kia dealership he considers an eye sore:

"Unless the city plans to install a hoop 10 feet up on the tower and fly Michael Jordan to Sunnyside so John Starks can dunk on him again, moving this pole is a small but important victory for transparency," Richards told the Post

Really can’t let it go.