PDA

View Full Version : Let's say the... 8 best players in the NBA left the NBA and formed a new league

Shogon
09-06-2019, 07:15 PM
And the rest of the other 442 NBA players stayed put. Everyone else in the new league are guys that aren't quite good enough to be in the NBA.

Which league would be more popular?

Could those top 8 guys get the other league off the ground in order to actually challenge the NBA long term?

What do you think would happen short term and long term?

AlternativeAcc.
09-06-2019, 07:50 PM
That means LeBron is in the new league... new league gets the most viewers out of the gate, and quickly turns into the league where the talent goes, thus eradicating the "old" NBA and merging into the NBA we already have now.

It's a stupid question is what i'm saying

Kblaze8855
09-06-2019, 09:10 PM
How many of the top eight guys are going to be worth watching in eight years?

The nba would stay more popular than any startup just off built in fan base and new stars coming up in a new league not having the same credibility as the public gives nba stars.

highwhey
09-06-2019, 09:11 PM
op doesn't understand brand loyalty

sdot_thadon
09-06-2019, 09:18 PM
It's hard to say, I'd imagine fans would be torn between the 2. The top 8 guys would be looking like the globetrotters in a lesser league and maybe in turn be more fun to watch. If there was going to be a mass exodus to the new league it would have to happen early in its life or maybe it would die out quick. What if several of those 8 get hurt? There would be a ton riding on those 8 guys' backs.

Shogon
09-06-2019, 09:32 PM
op doesn't understand brand loyalty

I asked a question to generate discussion. I never stated my position. You're a retard, as usual.

Draz
09-06-2019, 09:43 PM
For the sake of discussion, yes, fans will watch and it will generate revenue

VictorMosquito
09-06-2019, 11:02 PM
The men's division would be split down the middle, so the WNBA would be the new powerhouse.

highwhey
09-06-2019, 11:16 PM
I asked a question to generate discussion. I never stated my position. You're a retard, as usual.
that doesn't change what i said.

iamgine
09-07-2019, 12:08 AM
There are infrastructures that aren't easy to get like TV deals, contracts, stadiums, local regulations, etc. They have to get investors who are willing to lose money for a long long time and even then the chance is very tiny the company would ever be profitable. This new league will not get any future stars playing since the NBA will make sure no one goes there. NBA has the money, the infrastructures, etc. Not to mention you'd essentially be going up against 30 billionaires.

highwhey
09-07-2019, 12:13 AM
There are infrastructures that aren't easy to get like TV deals, contracts, stadiums, local regulations, etc. They have to get investors who are willing to lose money for a long long time and even then the chance is very tiny the company would ever be profitable. This new league will not get any future stars playing since the NBA will make sure no one goes there. NBA has the money, the infrastructures, etc. Not to mention you'd essentially be going up against 30 billionaires.
OP needs to watch Ballers.

i don't think his pea brain considered that NBA has billion dollar deals in place for years with broadcasting stations.

but 8 players are going to circumvent billion dollar legal agreements. :oldlol:

VictorMosquito
09-07-2019, 12:15 AM
OP needs to watch Ballers.

i don't think his pea brain considered that NBA has billion dollar deals in place for years with broadcasting stations.

but 8 players are going to circumvent billion dollar legal agreements. :oldlol:
This.

What the hell was OP thinking??

'Toine=MVP
09-10-2019, 12:17 AM
Most of the top 8 players in the league are highly unlikable. It would probably be a net negative to lose the talent, but unlike most other eras, we'd be getting rid of a bunch of weak minded kind of annoying drama queens.

brooks_thompson
09-10-2019, 05:22 AM
A group as large as 8 people would never have the guts to try this considering they would have to sacrifice millions to get off the ground, and wouldnt even be back to even by the time their careers are over.

I gotta admit it would be kinda fun watching 8 teams, each with 1 superstar and 11 scrubs, battle it out.

HoopologyPhD
09-10-2019, 06:49 PM
The NBA without it's 8 best (maybe more like 10-20) players would be one of the worst basketball organizations in the world.

NBA mostly consists of tall or freak athletes that have little to no basketball skills.

tpols
09-10-2019, 07:08 PM
what... so no curry, kawhi, jokic, durant, harden, giannis, lebron, AD...

they'd have dolla dame competing for chips against kyrie irving or kemba walker.

eh...

supply and demand would dictate most of the role players would switch leagues because theyd have more views and more money.

the oligarch ownership would never allow this though.

PickernRoller
09-10-2019, 07:20 PM
Yes. Star power can do a lot.

So we looking at current Top 10:

Kawhi
KD
Giannis
Curry
Anthony Davis
Harden
Jokic
Damien Lillard